facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old February 26, 2010, 10:24 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: MAM & MBM
Default Siddons confident in home condition

"At the start of this year, we knew we had to play the better teams in the world, and I think we've fared pretty well," said Siddons. "In our conditions we play really well, we're a developing team and growing in confidence. England need to be at their best to beat us, but they've left a couple of key players behind. I'm thinking that could be the difference, but we'll have to wait and see."

Shakib Al Hasan, Bangladesh's captain, offered a respectful "no comment" when quizzed on the thorny issue of Strauss's absence from this tour, but his coach was unapologetically forthright. "People have their own choices to make, and organisations have their choices to make, about whether they come here or not," he said. "But my thoughts are that I hope it bites them on the bum at the end of the series. And that we can say 'don't come here next time as well'."

"I hope that the opener that they've brought in isn't good enough, and that they fail at that part of the game," added Siddons. It wasn't entirely clear whether he was referring to Cook or his probable batting partner Craig Kieswetter, who warmed up for his debut with a hard-hitting 143 on Tuesday, but the sentiment could easily have been applied to both.

"We know very little about Kieswetter, apart from what we've seen this week," said Siddons. "We don't know a lot, but we're hoping the conditions out here will bring him undone. Our strength is our strength, so we're not worried about the opposition. We'll bowl and bat as well as we can, and see what the outcome can be."

Whatever transpires, Siddons is certain that his team is on an upward trajectory after far too many years of languishing near the foot of the world rankings. In July 2009, they won their first Test series against a senior Test nation, albeit an unrecognisable West Indies side in the throes of an industrial dispute, while more recently they competed hard in a tri-series against India and Sri Lanka before suffering a set-back on their tour of New Zealand. But even that trip had its notable moments, as Bangladesh posted 408 in their first innings thanks to a maiden century from Mahmudullah, before Shakib's second-innings 100 took them improbably close in their run-chase.

"In every game, I don't look for wins, I look for performances and achievements from our players and I'm getting that more and more with every series," said Siddons. "Most of the guys will say we had a bad series in New Zealand. But I look at the three hundreds we scored and the two five-fors we took, and the way we played out the fifth day of the Test. With one good session, we'd have won the game, and if we'd taken our chances, we might even have won one or maybe two ODIs.

"The achievements every day are what I look for, and that's why I love this job," he added. "Turning up every day, I'm waiting for someone to perform and do something we've been working on. Our boys are 22-23 years old, and you look around the world, most good players at that age are in and out of a team and not performing. I've got a team full of those types of player, and I can see England coming here when they are 26, and people saying you haven't got a chance. Unless they improve a lot."

Before succeeding Dav Whatmore in the summer of 2007, Siddons spent three years in the Australian set-up including a spell as assistant coach to John Buchanan, but the challenge of fine-tuning a team of world-beaters offered nothing like the same job satisfaction as his current role.

"It's a lot tougher in that you go to the games and you're not sure how you'll perform, but it's what makes me turn up to work every day," he said. "I love that part of the game, and that part of coaching, developing players. And [a developing team] is what this team still is. I wouldn't say we are improving every series - we're still a team of 22-23 years old so we're still quite capable of a little slip in a session, or a 5-10 over block where teams exploit us - but we're getting better at not having those bad patches."

With Tamim Iqbal emerging as a fully fledged talent, alongside the maturing Mahmudullah and Shakib, whom Siddons referred to as the "second-best spinner in the world, and the best allrounder", Bangladesh have a side with the raw materials to cause an upset. But one man who won't be taking part is Mohammad Ashraful, who mustered 62 runs in six innings in New Zealand, and has requested - and been granted - a break from the front line. "I spoke to Ash at the end of the New Zealand series," said Siddons. "He said he wanted a rest and I thought I'd talked him out of it, so I'm not sure what's happened in last three or four days. But he's made his decision and I respect it, but I'd love to have him at 3 and 4 in our Test and ODI teams. He's the little diamond in the rough we are looking for, that we need to step up along with Tamim, Mushfiq [Rahim] and Shakib. Those guys have really stepped up, so if Ash can fill the gap, we're a formidable batting team."

Sunday's first ODI could also see a return to the fray for Bangladesh's leading fast bowler, Mashrafe Mortaza, who has been out of action since July following knee surgery. He got through eight overs in England's second warm-up in Fatullah, and Siddons is ready to put his faith in the medical bulletins, and his own observations from Friday's nets session.

"I saw him running, I wouldn't say he's 100% fit but he's pretty close," he said. "He was bowling beautifully, and saw a little footage of him from the other day and he looked quite good with the new ball. My only concern is how he comes back in the middle overs, but he's a key part of our side when he's fit. So we'll probably roll the dice a bit and give him a game, and hope he comes up trumps with the new ball."

http://www.cricinfo.com/bdeshveng201...ry/450148.html

Old February 26, 2010, 10:30 AM
ODI Cricketer

First do it, then say it.

~ Russian proverb
Old February 26, 2010, 10:30 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul Haque

Quote:
"In every game, I don't look for wins, I look for performances and achievements from our players and I'm getting that more and more with every series," said Siddons. "Most of the guys will say we had a bad series in New Zealand. But I look at the three hundreds we scored and the two five-fors we took, and the way we played out the fifth day of the Test. With one good session, we'd have won the game, and if we'd taken our chances, we might even have won one or maybe two ODIs.
I think this is where Whatmore differed from SIddons as DW looked for winning with whatever resources he is provided. He never quarreled with his tool. Siddons on the other hand is a very good coach who likes to use the B word in an excess .
Old February 26, 2010, 10:33 AM
BD-SL Test Fantasy Winner 2017

Favorite Player: Suhrawadi Shuvo

Looks like Mash might start then. I like the way Siddons stays positive, but I am surprised at the fact he wanted Ash to remain in the lineup.
Old February 26, 2010, 10:39 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Tamim, Shakib, Mashrafe

why does siddons always talk positve of the bd team?
i mean dont get me wrong, being positive and having confidence is a good thing.
but i always sense a hint of arrogance in siddons speach.
'formidable batting line up'.
if only he is able to review a series in this sense will be much more satisfying then previewing a series in this sense
Old February 26, 2010, 10:40 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Curtly Ambrose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Manc
Looks like Mash might start then. I like the way Siddons stays positive, but I am surprised at the fact he wanted Ash to remain in the lineup.
any coach would like to have sachin tendulkar in his team even if he is out of form or in a bad patch. ash is the sachin tendulkar of bangladesh.
Old February 26, 2010, 10:52 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sakibul Hasan

I like his confidence, but sometimes I hope he would stay quiet until after the series. If youre really eager to say something, say it during the series, kinda like Shakib. I have a feeling the only bum thats going to be bit (sounds a lil dirty when said this way, doesnt it?) is ours...
Old February 26, 2010, 10:53 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by offstump
any coach would like to have sachin tendulkar in his team even if he is out of form or in a bad patch. ash is the sachin tendulkar of bangladesh.
I'm not sure the comparision holds up on any level any more.

His horrendous test record is well documented, but there was a time when he could lay claim to being 'our Tendulkar' due to his talismanic role in the team. However, we've now got four batsmen who are FAR more likely to make runs for us, and to do it through their consistent quality as batsmen rather than their capacity to be mercurial on one day a year.

In fact, I would say that during recent series Shakib, Mushfiq, Tamim and Mahmudullah have all been better than Ashraful has ever been during any stretch of matches at any stage in his career.
Old February 26, 2010, 10:55 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by deshifan
First do it, then say it.

~ Russian proverb
I agree with this post. There's some nice quotes in there to chew over but he'd have done well to keep shtum about England sending a weakened team until after we've put a win or two past them.
Old February 26, 2010, 10:58 AM
Street Cricketer

Favorite Player: Tamim,Rahim,shakib

^^^ Same ere y wud u keep ash when his performing bad every game ., looks like ash himself wanted to get dropped and if i may add could be the smartest decision his made his whole life., Hopefully This is the start of a new beginning for ashraful where changes his career around ., n comes back a different and a better player mentally n physically . inshallah x
All in all this series i hope other then riyad tamim mushfiq n shakib other players step up too
and take the fight to the english..
Old February 26, 2010, 11:00 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Curtly Ambrose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aritro
I'm not sure the comparision holds up on any level any more.

His horrendous test record is well documented, but there was a time when he could lay claim to being 'our Tendulkar' due to his talismanic role in the team. However, we've now got four batsmen who are FAR more likely to make runs for us, and to do it through their consistent quality as batsmen rather than their capacity to be mercurial on one day a year.

In fact, I would say that during recent series Shakib, Mushfiq, Tamim and Mahmudullah have all been better than Ashraful has ever been during any stretch of matches at any stage in his career.
talent wise ashraful could have been our sachin. but performance wise he is not.
Old February 26, 2010, 11:08 AM
Cricket Guru

Has he seen how pathetic NZ team looked this morning?! This is the worst ever NZ team I have ever seen. But Siddons wants to brag about being whitewashed by them!
Old February 26, 2010, 11:10 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by offstump
talent wise ashraful could have been our sachin. but performance wise he is not.
He made a superb ton when he was 17 years and 5 days but I wouldn't neccessarily take that as a sign that he's got the sort of talent that rivals the greats. When assessing how much natural talent he has, it's important to keep in perspective what a horrendously poor batting average 23 is after 55 matches, especially when you consider that he's actually averaged a mere 15 over a stretch of two whole years.

The thing is that his performances are so completely incongruous with his natural physical gifts in terms of reflexes and hand-eye co-ordination that it's difficult to know how much talent he actually has, but I think it's fair to say someone who really had that much talent, no matter what their mental shortcomings, would find a way to average more than 23 after 55 tests, and 15 in the last two years.
Old February 26, 2010, 11:12 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eshen
Has he seen how pathetic NZ team looked this morning?! This is the worst ever NZ team I have ever seen. But Siddons wants to brag about being whitewashed by them!
I'm not sure he's really done that at all?

I'm also finding it increasingly difficult to understand the perspective that we haven't been mproving appreciably under Siddons.

Last edited by Aritro; February 26, 2010 at 11:23 AM..
Old February 26, 2010, 11:21 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib

Need field performance
Come on Shak , it is a great opportunity to show to the world your talent

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (iPhone)
Old February 26, 2010, 11:28 AM
Test Cricketer

i like siddong.......having a good verbal go at the pommies........one thing the aussies are good at
Old February 26, 2010, 11:41 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Lara & Ashraful

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahat90
why does siddons always talk positve of the bd team?
i mean dont get me wrong, being positive and having confidence is a good thing.
but i always sense a hint of arrogance in siddons speach.
'formidable batting line up'.
if only he is able to review a series in this sense will be much more satisfying then previewing a series in this sense
If coach is not positive frame of mind how else our players can stay positive. His attitude (if u say arrogance) is reflecting in our players. It has been good thing so far. Classy players do need some level of arrogance in sports. Fortune favors the brave.
Old February 26, 2010, 11:44 AM
Cricket Sage

the bum thing was a bit too much, he should have waited till the end of the series. if at the end england murder us than that just proves their point and we look bad.
Old February 26, 2010, 11:57 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Really? Then I guess youre less than one year old. Theyve had three scores less than that in Twenty20's within the past year. They've never been much of a Twenty20 side tbh...

I wouldnt knock on them for one Twenty20 match. Are you forgetting the Australians themselves scored 127 all out not even a month ago? How pathetic did they look then?

Last edited by Farhad; February 26, 2010 at 12:09 PM.. Reason: Added point about NZ's weak T20 record
Old February 26, 2010, 11:58 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farhad
I wouldnt knock on them for one Twenty20 match. Are you forgetting the Australians themselves scored 127 all out not even a month ago? How pathetic did they look then?
Nope, not writing them off based on a just a T20I, Blackcaps looked pathetic against us too. But we still could not beat them in a single match!
Old February 26, 2010, 12:00 PM
Test Cricketer

its funny that people find positivism from Aftab's 15-20 some runs of 10 ball with 3 lives but not from couple of centuries and 5 fors in NZ's home condition. When was the last time someone from BD scored a century or took 5 fors or the team scored 400 runs in NZ? Had it in Whatmore's era we would have lost the test by an innings and 300 some runs. Even against mighty India we took 18 wickets!

I guess the coach should talk like Shewag. We don't have the capability to take 10 English wickets in ODIs...
Old February 26, 2010, 12:01 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Nope, not writing them off based on a just a T20I, Blackcaps looked pathetic against us too. But we still could not beat them in a single match!
I watched the same games, mate. I think "pathetic" may be too strong a word...
Old February 26, 2010, 12:03 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farhad
I watched the same games, mate. I think "pathetic" may be too strong a word...
Well, take it however you want to. But I think it's pretty safe to say this is the worst ever NZ team I have seen in a decade, especially with their weak batting side.
Old February 26, 2010, 12:08 PM
Cricket Guru

Farhad, now this argument is becoming silly (calling me an infant ).

It's ok, we don't have to agree with each other
Old February 26, 2010, 12:11 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Farhad, now this argument is becoming silly (calling me an infant ).

It's ok, we don't have to agree with each other
You call this an argument? I spend a lot of time on NFL boards. What we're doing is practically hugging