facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old February 28, 2010, 08:40 AM
Banned

Default Bangladeshi laptops to be out by June.

If you are a BC troll, eager to make fun of Bangladesh and any progress she makes, or a Sylheti-hater, please do not continue reading this thread or even posting, as I do not destroy your threads on comment on them, so please extend the courtesy of doing the same for my threads.

http://nation.ittefaq.com/issues/201...5/news0701.htm

Local-made laptop to be available by June
BSS, Dhaka

The Telephone Shilpa Sangstha, the state-run telecom industrial unit, is going to strike a deal with Malaysian TFT company to manufacture laptops in joint venture and market the product in the country at a cost of Taka 12,000 per unit only.

Telephone Shilpa Sangstha Managing Director Ismail Hossain said international tenders were invited for manufacturing laptops in the country.

Four local and overseas companies took part in the tender.

The foreign companies were from Malaysia and China.

Ismail Hossain said the tender documents were sent to Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology (BUET) for scrutiny of the technical sides.

As the recommendation of the BUET, the Malaysian company was picked up for the job, he said and added that a letter would be sent to the TFT of Malaysia in a day or two seeking details of its offer. After getting the offer letter, an agreement would be signed and the laptops are expected to be marketed by June, he said.

Telephone Shilpa Sangstha sources said there are preparations to manufacture 10,000 pieces of laptops per month. Most of the raw materials of the product would be procured from Bangladesh and a few would be imported.

The Malaysian TFT company would give technical assistance and the Telephone Shilpa Sangstha would manufacture laptops independently gradually.

Post and Telecommunications Ministry sources said the Telephone Shilpa Sangstha did not have any production for the last 12 years. Therefore, the number of staff was reduced to 260 in 2007 from 525.

The present government has taken initiatives to make the Telephone Shilpa Sangstha functional and manufacture land-phone sets. Initiatives are also on to manufacture digital metres, mobile phone battery charger and laptops.

Post and Telecommunications Minister Rajiuddin Ahmed Raju said his Ministry has taken various measures to implement the government’s plan of building a digital Bangladesh.

As part of this, he said, initiatives have been taken to manufacture laptops, mobile phone sets and other equipment.
Old February 28, 2010, 09:48 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Rafiq and Tendulkar

Will create jobs, save foreign currencies and bring more foreign currencies.
Old February 28, 2010, 09:51 AM
Administrator

Asif - why the jab before you even post? Why is Sylheti hating relevant to your post? Why do somethign that is bound to derail the intent of our post?

On a related note - should have been a private sector inititiatve not one run by a state agency.
Old February 28, 2010, 10:50 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: ZAR

Golden Asif - is he the বদ্দা of our beloved Asif bhai?
Old February 28, 2010, 07:48 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenAsif
If you are a BC troll, eager to make fun of Bangladesh and any progress she makes, or a Sylheti-hater, please do not continue reading this thread or even posting, as I do not destroy your threads on comment on them, so please extend the courtesy of doing the same for my threads.
LOL Bangladesh and Sylhetis really sucks big time.

The worst way to star a discussion is to tell them what they can and cannot discuss. You don't _own_ a thread you _start_ a thread. This is not your thread, you started this thread.

I hope I didn't destroy your thread.

On Topic: Without actually having information about the specs of the laptop its hard to make any rational comment on this. In all likelyhood it will be either a very shitty laptop or a vaporware.

Why it will be a shitty laptop (if ever materializes):

The non-profit OLPC (One Laptop Per Child) organization creates laptop (that actually doesn't suck) at the cost of ~$200 per unit. This is after being heavily subsidized and in partnership with some of the best tech companies in the world, with a simple goal of having affordable laptops for poor children. Their initial goal was to sell laptops for a base price of $100, which turned out to be impossible (so far). Even with mass production and production companies subsidizing costs and open source software they were able to take the cost down to ~$188 only if you buy in bulk in the form of 1000s of units at a time. Thats the best they could do afte trying for the last 4 years with the help of some of the brightest mind of the world.

[More about OLPC]

The so called BD "laptop" will cost 12,000 BDT which I think is approx. ~$170. The key word here is "laptop". Is this a laptop or something that looks a like a laptop but works like a TV remote? The devil is in the details.

Why I think this might be a vaporware:

India recently annouced a $10 laptop, turned out its a typical indian hyperbolic patriotism induced farce: http://www.engadget.com/2009/02/04/i...-not-a-laptop/

Bottom line. They might be able to produce something that resembles a computer, don't call it a laptop.
Old March 1, 2010, 12:19 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mo Chow = Chow Mo

Bhais, I can't wait til I get my horns on one of those machines!!!
Old March 1, 2010, 01:46 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blah

The worst way to star a discussion is to tell them what they can and cannot discuss. You don't _own_ a thread you _start_ a thread. This is not your thread, you started this thread.
Unwritten internet protocol?

Old March 1, 2010, 01:53 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeshanM
Unwritten internet protocol?

Opinion, unless stated as fact with reference.