facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old March 16, 2010, 08:47 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique
Default First Test: Ranking for Bangladeshi players

We have a reasonably good Test match which could have been lot better if our captain used common sense after winning the toss.

Here's my rating for the first Test

1. Tamim Iqbal - 7/10, impressed in the first innings, but failed on crucial times on both occasions

2. Imrul Kayes - 3/10, failed on both occasion except glimpse of hope in the 2nd innings. Not enough to keep his place in the team.

3. Zunaed Siddique - 8/10, he staged the most remarkable comeback of recent memory. He looked less than ordinary in the first innings, but played with grit and determination not previously seen by any Bangladeshi players except Mushy before.

4. Aftab Ahmed - 5/10. was unlucky in the first innings. Shared a good partnership in the second innings but did not do enough to keep his place in the team.

5. Mahmudullah - 6/10. Excellent first innings followed by an equally poor second innings. Got out by playing unnecessary shot across the line. Bowled reasonably well without much success.

6. Shakib Al Hasan - 5/10. Had a poor Test except some good second innings bowling. Shakib's captaincy was poor in the first innings, but significantly improved in the second innings. Probably his toss blunder and poor bowling was hurting him in the back of his mind.

7. Mushfiqur Rahim - 7/10. Batted exceptionally well in both innings but still missed out in his main duty as a wicketkeeper of the team. Desreved a century but missed out due to some rush of blood in both innings.

8. Naeem Islam - 7/10. Wasted at number 8. Shared a crucial partnership with Mushfiq in the first innings and chanced his arms in the second innings when the result of the match was already decided.

9. Abdur Razzak - 4/10. Failed miserably with ball in the first innings and leaked too many runs. Second innings bowling was slightly better, but still far short of Test standard bowling.

10. Shahadat Hossain - 1/10. Except some reargurd action as a nightwatchman, Shahadat had a forgettable series. He should be dropped for the 2nd Test in favour of Shafiul.

11. Rubel Hossain - 4/10. Bowled with lively pace but hardly utlized his pace in good effect.

Last edited by Miraz; March 16, 2010 at 09:02 AM..

Old March 16, 2010, 08:56 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim, Riyad, Ashraful

No disrespect but your ratings suck.

I would rate Tamim and Mushfique higher than zunaid's.

Tamim got out to two very good balls... in my book he is 9/10 and was probably the batsman england were scared of. and I am glad he didn't give it away.

Zunaid did well in teh second innigns (with some luck) but to give him the highest rating when he is trying to save a spot on the test squad is a little emotional I think. Did he save Bangaldesh? no. I thought he celebrated a little too much for his 100...

but zun gets 11/10 for his efforts.....
Old March 16, 2010, 08:59 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraz
8. Naeem Islam - 7/10. Wasted at number 8. Shared a crucial partnership with Mushfiq in the first innings and chanced his arms in the second innings when the result of the match was already decided.
So who should bat at number 8? and where should Nayeem bat?

everybody wants to move everyone else up the order... but to where?? If imrul or aftab gets dropped, rakib will come in and he will bat at 4 (not 8). If Omi comes in then nayeem probably will get to bat as high as 7.

Old March 16, 2010, 09:08 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Orpheus, England was scared of Tamim, but he perished too easily when required most. Zunaed made them toil hard for 2 days and he is the only Bangladeshi batsman to score century in this Test. he looked dead and buried after the first innings with severe technical flaws against short ball. To stage a comeback of such proportion requires some extra-ordinary effort and he made it possible. He deserves every ranking point here.

Naeem should bat at number 3 or 4 while Zunaed should move up the order to open with Tamim.In an ideal world I want to see this batting line-up

1. Tamim
2. Zunaed
3. Mushfiq
4. Naeem
5. Raqibul
6. Mahmudullah
7. Shakib

and 4 bowlers.
Old March 16, 2010, 09:10 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Orpheus, England was scared of Tamim, but he perished too easily when required most.
so did zunaid... he perished when we needed him to continue as well. What's your point?
What come back are you talking about? We lost by 200 runs....
Old March 16, 2010, 09:11 AM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orpheus
but zun gets 11/10 for his efforts.....
Agreed and agreed.
Old March 16, 2010, 09:17 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafee & Shakib

Quote:
I agree as well.
Old March 16, 2010, 09:18 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:

1. Tamim
2. Zunaed
3. Mushfiq
4. Naeem
5. Raqibul
6. Mahmudullah
7. Shakib

and 4 bowlers.
I am not saying shakib shouldn't bat at 7, he should but soon people will be saying shakib shouldnt bat so low. The guy has test average of 30+ second highest test avg in bd team.. and he bats at 7/8 with the likes of rubel, enamul and shahadat. I dont like that.

anyways, our bowlers need to be taught to anchor to support.. otherwise our 8th batsman (a proper bat) is a walking wicket.

the only batting position change i wanna see is that of mushfique, he should come before riyad i think

Old March 16, 2010, 09:26 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
I am not saying shakib shouldn't bat at 7, he should but soon people will be saying shakib shouldnt bat so low. The guy has test average of 30+ second highest test avg in bd team.. and he bats at 7/8 with the likes of rubel, enamul and shahadat. I dont like that.
Not anymore. He has been pushed to third (Mahmudullah 44.30, Tamim 34.66) and at this rate he will be 4th soon. Mushfiq now averages 29.63 and Shakib 30.63. I see Mushfique sitting ahead of Shakib after Dhaka Test.
Old March 16, 2010, 09:31 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
so did zunaid... he perished when we needed him to continue as well. What's your point?
What come back are you talking about? We lost by 200 runs....
If you don't see a comeback in Zunaid's innings, I am sorry my friend, you will never see any comeback innings in international cricket.
Old March 16, 2010, 09:32 AM
Cricket Legend

I know Miraz. I wasn't counting Riyad's average to be statistically significant. Let's wait and see how things pan out in away tours..shall we?
Old March 16, 2010, 09:35 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
If you don't see a comeback in Zunaid's innings, I am sorry my friend, you will never see any comeback innings in international cricket.
thanks for opening my eyes...

So zunaid's contribution of 110 runs total is more than Musfhique's 170 runs where the end result was a loss by 200 runs. Good to know!

In fact, I am starting to feel that you probably haven't even seen the test match...Luck played its many roles on zunaid today my friend....

Old March 16, 2010, 09:43 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Curtly Ambrose

Quote:

and 4 bowlers.
i agree that we need four bowlers. may be it gives us a long tail. but i dont like a batsmen coming at no 8. a bowler who can bat will be handy like mashrafe, suhrawardi shuvo, dollar, or may be in future shabbir, nasir or noor hossain.

also a proper wicket keeper who can bat a bit will do.

we must back our 7 batsmen to score and also need to learn creating partnerships with tail
Old March 16, 2010, 09:45 AM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Mushfiq definitely outperforms everyone else with the bat in this game. Tamim's knock in the first inning was very authoritative. Zunaed made a great comeback and I would love to see more of our batsmen spend seven hours at the crease, but Orpheus is right - Zunaed is extremely uncomfortable against anything short, swinging in, swinging away, or spinning away. In a nut-shell, it was more than a great effort from him, but he still comes in third.
Old March 16, 2010, 09:55 AM
ODI Cricketer

Best post of the year!
I agree we need 4 bowlers and Shakib to bowl sides consistently. Plus it's still a good batting lineup with Shakib at 7.

Quote:
Naeem should bat at number 3 or 4 while Zunaed should move up the order to open with Tamim.In an ideal world I want to see this batting line-up

1. Tamim
2. Zunaed
3. Mushfiq
4. Naeem
5. Raqibul
6. Mahmudullah
7. Shakib

and 4 bowlers.
Old March 16, 2010, 10:06 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Rahkeem Cornwall

someone please enlighten me about the situation with raqibul,is he still in the team?
Old March 16, 2010, 10:07 AM
Test Cricketer

Zunaied deserves credit for his backs to the wall effort in the second innings and I was both surprised and impressed to see the strength of character he showed to come back from that humiliating dismissal in the first innings.

However it's hard to go past Mushfiq for the highest ranking IMO. The range and quality of his stroke play over both innings was marvellous to watch.
Old March 16, 2010, 10:13 AM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Lara, Tamim

Quote:
thanks for opening my eyes...

So zunaid's contribution of 110 runs total is more than Musfhique's 170 runs where the end result was a loss by 200 runs. Good to know!

In fact, I am starting to feel that you probably haven't even seen the test match...Luck played its many roles on zunaid today my friend....

If you consider batting only, definately Mushy should get the highest ranking probably 9.
However, I believe Miraz rated the players based not only on batting but also on other functions, which in case of Mushy is wicket keeping. And as usuall his performce was well below par. That should bring his rating down. I think a 7 is fair for hi.
Old March 16, 2010, 10:14 AM
Test Cricketer

Yeah, in hindsight, his wicket-keepering should definitely cost him the highest ranking.
Old March 16, 2010, 10:23 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ananna
If you consider batting only, definately Mushy should get the highest ranking probably 9.
However, I believe Miraz rated the players based not only on batting but also on other functions, which in case of Mushy is wicket keeping. And as usuall his performce was well below par. That should bring his rating down. I think a 7 is fair for hi.
You are absolutely right. The rating is based on the overall performance of the players and it's not a batting ranking.
Old March 16, 2010, 10:45 AM
Street Cricketer

Favorite Player: Tamim,Rahim,shakib

Quote:
In an ideal world I want to see this batting line-up

1. Tamim
2. Zunaed
3. Mushfiq
4. Naeem
5. Raqibul
6. Mahmudullah
7. Shakib

and 4 bowlers.
Spot on miraz bai !! This Would be my dream team if ever there was one ! lol
Seriously tho I see this team doing more damage to the opposition then the one we have currently with the likes of imrul and aftab. One place where i disagree is seeing naeem coming ahead of rakibul ( If he is allowed back in that is ) , i think he should be batting 6-7 interchanging with shakib depending on circumstances.

Btw i would just like to say very well played bangladesh!! Even though we lost iv seen huge amount of improvement and courage from the team., likes of tamim , mushy and junaed showed how things can work out for you if you play with a backbone , Fair play to them . others in the team should watch and learn and stand up and be acounted for when given the chance .
Old March 16, 2010, 11:04 AM
Banned

Good post and nice judgement.
Old March 16, 2010, 11:09 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Shakib, SN, Tamim

Forget all these statistics, what we just need is a win. If the team wins, we can rate them well. What is the use of rating them, if the team loses. Thid rating is nothing but useless, We should be thinking about how to win.
Old March 16, 2010, 11:11 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: The big hearted ones

Quote:
Orpheus, England was scared of Tamim, but he perished too easily when required most. Zunaed made them toil hard for 2 days and he is the only Bangladeshi batsman to score century in this Test. he looked dead and buried after the first innings with severe technical flaws against short ball. To stage a comeback of such proportion requires some extra-ordinary effort and he made it possible. He deserves every ranking point here.

1. Tamim
2. Zunaed
3. Mushfiq
4. Naeem
5. Raqibul
6. Mahmudullah
7. Shakib

and 4 bowlers.
I like the team other than Naeem at #4. What technique does he have to play at #4? He stayed for 2 hours at the crease but that doesn't contutute his ability to play the semi new ball. His got very limited ability. Yes he's better than Aftab but that doesn't really qualify him to be promoted at #4. He needs to spend some time in the middle like Riad before he can justify any promotion. I think Riad at #4 and Shakib at #6 is perfect. They both are grafter and accumulator/ accelarator in their own way.

So my team would be:

1. Tamim
2. Zunaed
3. Mushfiq
4. Riad
5. Raqibul
6. Shakib
7. Naeem
Old March 16, 2010, 11:16 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Rahkeem Cornwall

could shakib reagin his batting forme inthe second test?well i am hoping [for bangladesh to win the game,and beat the english really bad