facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old April 29, 2010, 11:34 AM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Nur,Sabbir,Anam,Shuvogoto
Lightbulb Man 'Survives Without Food' For 70 Years

Indian doctors are studying a remarkable 83-year-old holy man who claims to have spent the last seven decades without food and water. Skip related content
Related photos / videos
Man 'Survives Without Food' For 70 Years
Enlarge photo .Military medics hope the experiments on Prahlad Jani can help soldiers develop their survival strategies.

The long-haired and bearded yogi is under 24-hour observation by a team of 30 doctors during three weeks of tests at a hospital in the western city of Ahmedabad.

Two cameras have been set up in his room, while a mobile camera films him when he goes outside, guaranteeing round-the-clock observation.

His body will be scanned and his brain and heart activity measured with electrodes.

"The observation from this study may throw light on human survival without food and water," said Dr G. Ilavazahagan, who is directing the research.

"This may help in working out strategies for survival during natural calamities, extreme stressful conditions and extra-terrestrial explorations like future missions to the Moon and Mars by the human race."

Since the experiment began on April 22, Jani has neither eaten nor drunk and has not been to the toilet.

"The exercise of taking this yogi under the medical scanner is to understand what energy supports his existence," Dr Ilavazahagan added.

"Jani says he meditates to get energy. Our soldiers will not be able to meditate, but we would still like to find out more about the man and his body."

Jani, who dresses in red and wears a nose ring, grew up in Charod village in the Mehsana district in Gujarat.

He claims to have been blessed by a goddess when he was aged eight, which has enabled him to survive without sustenance.
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/5/20100429/...a-3fd0ae9.html

Old April 29, 2010, 01:39 PM
Banned

This is no surprise at all. Indian ITs work all day and all night for 1 big mac.
Old April 29, 2010, 01:42 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: The venerated one on BC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billah
This is no surprise at all. Indian ITs work all day and all night for 1 big mac.
for the *price* of 1 big mac.
Old April 29, 2010, 01:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrequiem
for the *price* of 1 big mac.
No, no... it is an actual big mac. Where do you think all those leftover big macs go?
Old April 29, 2010, 04:07 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Rohit Sharma

Cool and inspiring. Made my day. Keeping fingers crossed that it's real.
Old April 29, 2010, 04:16 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeshanM
...Keeping fingers crossed that it's real.
Without water? Think again, this time with utmost concentration!!
Old April 29, 2010, 04:27 PM
Cricket Legend

what will this prove? that science cant explain everything?

well we have tons of those already, perpetual motion motors and what not. Certainly eyebrow raising but cant be too concerned. What if he mastered extracting energy from air or having a metabolism so slow that taking food once a year suffices, the famine ridden ethiopians or the monga ridden rongpuris still go hungry everyday...
Old April 29, 2010, 04:29 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
Without water? Think again, this time with utmost concentration!!
It's really not that unamusing as say....belief in God. But hey, it's his-his her-her own personal philosophical bent and personally I am a firm believer of mind triumphing over matter.

Of course hardcore skeptics would always find a way to prove these people as charlatans and there HAVE been many cases of frauds.

And if prophets could achieve miracles and if you believe in their acts, think again why this particular person may not be blessed with the same 'gifts'....think hard...this time with utmost concentration. :p
Old April 29, 2010, 04:41 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
It's really not that unamusing as say....belief in God. But hey, it's his-his her-her own personal philosophical bent and personally I am a firm believer of mind triumphing over matter.

Of course hardcore skeptics would always find a way to prove these people as charlatans and there HAVE been many cases of frauds.

And if prophets could achieve miracles and if you believe in their acts, think again why this particular person may not be blessed with the same 'gifts'....think hard...this time with utmost concentration. :p
It is like the guy producing electricity out of thin air. Bhuwa!!
+++
Believe in the unseen vs believing in frauds are not comparable. So many Monks and Priests has come before him. None could achieve the unachievable. Living and growing with out any intake. Even the tinest living organism has to intake something other than O2 to survive. A mammal goes on without any water for 70 years? Are you kidding me?

Thousands of years Human walked on this earth. He is the first one to achieve this? What is the next scheme?
Old April 29, 2010, 04:47 PM
Cricket Savant

And for Prophets achiving something... that is a belief that is tied in to "Last prophet has already come and gone". One can't belief half. This gentleman is not a prophet.
Old April 29, 2010, 05:00 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
It is like the guy producing electricity out of thin air. Bhuwa!! Assumes that the premise is not possible when it is the very thing we are trying to prove/disprove.
+++
Believe in the unseen vs believing in frauds are not comparable. Again starts with the assumption that the latter case is not possible.

So many Monks and Priests has come before him. None could achieve the unachievable. Opinion. (although I find it curious you haven't denied the prophet's miracle part. I find this self-contradictory. Living and growing with out any intake. Even the tinest living organism has to intake something other than O2 to survive. "tiniest living organism/s" are not capable of self-reflection or awareness/they cannot contemplate abstract concepts such as evolution to an enlightened stage or spitituality A mammal goes on without any water for 70 years? Are you kidding me? Not a valid argument.

Thousands of years Human walked on this earth. He is the first one to achieve this? Another fallacy. Apparently the logical reasoning is if x is the first to achieve y, then y must be false.What is the next scheme? Again leads to circular reasoning by already starting with the assumption that it's fake or it's a "scheme."
Note: I am not saying that what the man did or is claiming to have done is possible, but at the same time I am not ruling out it's impossible.

Meh.
Old April 29, 2010, 05:58 PM
Cricket Legend

Unless proven otherwise, this fellow is faking it, and the Indian military medics need someone a tad more rational in charge. If they really want to test his claims, put him in the room calorimeter in say, the Human Nutrition Research Center in Beltsville, Maryland, and examine his energy intake and expenditure.

BTW, ialbd, no one has demonstrated a functional perpetual motion machine given that, based on how you define it, it would contradict either the first law of thermodynamics, or the second.
Old April 29, 2010, 06:12 PM
Banned

So, there's proof. Some of us DO have an issue with that pesky thing called reality

Quote:

Old April 29, 2010, 07:58 PM
Cricket Savant

^ And some of us don't....which is equally alarming and frightening.
Old April 29, 2010, 08:22 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mash, Alok, Ash, Sakib

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaad
Unless proven otherwise, this fellow is faking it, and the Indian military medics need someone a tad more rational in charge. If they really want to test his claims, put him in the room calorimeter in say, the Human Nutrition Research Center in Beltsville, Maryland, and examine his energy intake and expenditure.

BTW, ialbd, no one has demonstrated a functional perpetual motion machine given that, based on how you define it, it would contradict either the first law of thermodynamics, or the second.
I so agree. Its not possible. WIthout food yes maybe, but without water, no.
Old April 29, 2010, 08:23 PM
Cricket Sage

eto lomba roja rakse??
Old April 30, 2010, 03:04 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: James Bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangladesh_sy
eto lomba roja rakse??
Yeah man, this dude is a total pro... I bet he LOL's at all those n00bs fasting half a day for 30 days.

Although, he might be using some hax... I mean, how do his cells not die...
Old April 30, 2010, 04:56 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: ZAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by billah
Nice.
Old April 30, 2010, 12:29 PM
Cricket Legend

Who knows what is actual definition of FOOD to him and the people claiming such thing on behalf of him! taking things which is not generally known to us as FOOD might provide him the nutrition to live nominally
Old April 30, 2010, 03:13 PM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

Old April 30, 2010, 03:28 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib,Ganguly,Vettori,

A while ago, some dude claimed to have designed a machine that runs on 'nothing'. Upon closer scrutiny, it was found out that the 'nothing' in his design was static charge in the air. Later, it was found out that his model is not realizable at all. (Can't give source, it's a local news. Accuracy is as reliable as my memory.)

What this guru claims is fundamentally impossible unless we have missed some fundamental process of human metabolism. It'd definitely be a huge leap forward if we can produce "Energy bars" that are really only spirit or belief or some such things because these things cost nothing. Definitely a solver of world hunger.

But even knowing al these, all I can say is "LMFAO"
Old April 30, 2010, 03:41 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

I think he watched "The Man From Earth" and dreamt about it at night.
Old April 30, 2010, 03:42 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib,Ganguly,Vettori,

Quote:
^ And some of us don't....which is equally alarming and frightening.
Zee, I know you promote open mind, para normal, neo science etc, but c'mon mate, this needs serious suspension of disbelief to even consider. Having no data (proven, not claimed) on this guy, why should I believe he did the impossible? Would you believe if I said I can fly?

The miracles of Allah's messengers' happened in front of every body and those were proven until the staunchest of critics starts to have faith. Now this guru, If he is actually proven true, I'll stop paying my dinning charge and subscribe to meditation class, because that'd be the logical choice.

But until this claim is proven, putting faith in it is, well, laughable. I say that keeping in mind that many great discoveries were once laughable ideas. Most recent being the memristor.
Old April 30, 2010, 04:28 PM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashfaq
Now this guru, If he is actually proven true, I'll stop paying my dinning charge and subscribe to meditation class, because that'd be the logical choice.
Even IF it was possible to go without food and water for a prolonged period of time I would not give up on the pleasures of eating a good meal on a regular basis.
Old April 30, 2010, 04:31 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: The venerated one on BC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashfaq
Zee, I know you promote open mind, para normal, neo science etc, but c'mon mate, this needs serious suspension of disbelief to even consider. Having no data (proven, not claimed) on this guy, why should I believe he did the impossible? Would you believe if I said I can fly?

The miracles of Allah's messengers' happened in front of every body and those were proven until the staunchest of critics starts to have faith. Now this guru, If he is actually proven true, I'll stop paying my dinning charge and subscribe to meditation class, because that'd be the logical choice.

But until this claim is proven, putting faith in it is, well, laughable. I say that keeping in mind that many great discoveries were once laughable ideas. Most recent being the memristor.
I don't see how this guy claiming to have fasted for 70+ years is any different from the miraculous feats attributed to prophets and other holy figures. The only thing working against this Guru is the fact that he lives in the age of video cameras and recorders, in an age where facts are cold and solid. Take that away from the equation, and you have the same proof that "backs up" the prophets' miracles: word of mouth. You can definitely find people who believe in this miracle of his.

With that said, I'll say I am highly inclined towards NOT believing this guy simply because I deem it unfeasible. By the same token, I also deem turning water into wine, splitting the moon, turning a stick, etc into a snake as unfeasible. I am just wondering how some can blatantly dispose this guy's story as "fake" and "bhua" while having utmost belief in the "miracles" of old.

Peace.