facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old August 23, 2015, 02:43 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin
Default Sri Lanka post Sanga-Jaya (and eventually Herath)

People have been talking about this era for the past 2-3 years or so. It is finally here starting from the 3rd Test in the ongoing series vs India.

My personal opinion, SL will struggle heavily for the next few years, possibly till 2020. They will still be good enough to get the odd win at home, but by 2020 and probably much sooner, Bangladesh will finally surpass their Lankan neighbors.
Old August 23, 2015, 10:50 PM
Test Cricketer

How's the u19s doing? In u19 Asia Cup and World cups compared to SL?
Old August 24, 2015, 08:32 AM
Cricket Legend

Mr. Asad, never a fan of SL cricket

Bangladesh can surely surpass SL. But it depends on who our coach, support staff are. And how much of work we continue to do at Academy, Under 19 level. If we sort our domestic cricket, then not just Sri Lanka, Bangladesh can surpass many teams. But lose Hathurusingha, and hire Dean Jones, we ll pretty much suffer the same fate as Sri Lanka, but unlike them we cant give the Sanga, Mahela excuse.

I dont think SL cricket will "struggle heavily" like you say. 2020 means we are talking 5 years from now. Hathurusingha changed our fortunes in 6 months?

SL will be back as a competitive side as soon as they look past Atapattu-who imo has been one of their worst coaches in the last 10-15 years. Severe case of politics, nepotism, indiscipline has set in. All it ll take is a coach like Graham Ford to bring things back to normal.
Old August 24, 2015, 11:51 AM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeesh
Mr. Asad, never a fan of SL cricket

Bangladesh can surely surpass SL. But it depends on who our coach, support staff are. And how much of work we continue to do at Academy, Under 19 level. If we sort our domestic cricket, then not just Sri Lanka, Bangladesh can surpass many teams. But lose Hathurusingha, and hire Dean Jones, we ll pretty much suffer the same fate as Sri Lanka, but unlike them we cant give the Sanga, Mahela excuse.

I dont think SL cricket will "struggle heavily" like you say. 2020 means we are talking 5 years from now. Hathurusingha changed our fortunes in 6 months?

SL will be back as a competitive side as soon as they look past Atapattu-who imo has been one of their worst coaches in the last 10-15 years. Severe case of politics, nepotism, indiscipline has set in. All it ll take is a coach like Graham Ford to bring things back to normal.
Thats what I'm sayin bro...if we continue on our present trajectory Bangladesh will be better than many teams. Many BC members seem to take that as a personal insult asking questions like 'where will Jubair be at age 24?'

As far as SL struggling heavily what I mean is they will likely not find like for like replacements for Jaya, Sanga, and herath. Even Dilshan. Win percentage will decrease, how much, no one knows. But teams take a while to rebuild. WI have been rebuilding for 20 years, Pakistan for 10 years.

India still hasnt and probably never will replace Tendulkar, Dravid, laxman, Zaheer, Kumble. Rahane and Kohli are probably like for like replacements.

Im hopeful we will be able to keep Hathuri and Streak through till the 2019 world cup. Even if we lose them, I dont see our talent level decreasing. Coaching is important but cannot make up for lack of talent or decrease talent if they take other jobs. Our players havent made any technical improvements...its mostly planning and execution and self belief.

Whatmore took us from being a 12th ranked side to giant killers, but I doubt he will have the same success with Zimbabwe because Zim just dont have that level of talent.
Old August 24, 2015, 12:14 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib

you just only pick on SL.

forget about SL, no country can replace Sanga, Jaya. But they can still find players who are good enough for international cricket. People said same thing when Vaas and Murali retired. They are suffering now but will regroup.
Old August 24, 2015, 09:30 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mufi_02
you just only pick on SL.

forget about SL, no country can replace Sanga, Jaya. But they can still find players who are good enough for international cricket. People said same thing when Vaas and Murali retired. They are suffering now but will regroup.

Yes But I don't understand why So many Bangalis get Irked. Jeesh bhai actually has connections to SL so his fondness is justified. And I never said SL would become crap, just that they'd struggle. They've been struggling already after Vaas and Murali, their win loss ratio is half what it was 5 years ago. Expect another dip now. Of course the term struggle is relative.

Don't worry, once Younis and Misbah retire there will be a thread for pak...but no one will get their thongs in a knot then, lol.

WI are another team we should already be better than. Problem is both WI and PAK have solid pace attacks which give them a significant edge. SL does not.
Old August 24, 2015, 10:25 PM
Cricket Legend

Mathews, Thirimane, Chandimal, & Kusal Perera need to fire. There are high hopes from Ashan Priyanjan who is a Mahela copy, but still not find his feet. Personally i find Thirimane a classy batsman. Chandimal on song can be as good as anyone in world cricket. But both are very inconsistent.

I wouldnt say bowling is that bad either. Watch out for both Chameera and Binura Fernando. The latter is their version of Mustafizur. Finally i think Tharindu Kaushal will be their long haul spinner. Havent seen a spinner produce so many revolutions on the a since Murali.

But i think we have a better crop of cricketers (Current and upcoming). Which is why we are bound to leapfrog them. Our board has been much more proactive and doing more things which will bring us results.
Old August 24, 2015, 11:01 PM
Cricket Sage

Of course I dont know much about SL's domestic talent. SL will always be a decent side, again relative term. They will never suck as much as WI has for the past decade, but they likely wont be as good as when they had Murali, Vaas, Dilly, Jaya, and Sanga.

I for one am glad they have an express quick in Chameera, that will always make them watchable. It seems like almost every team has an express quick barring BD and ZIM.

The stronger SL is the better it is for BD. No point in moving up the rankings with the critics saying its cuz other teams went down.
Old August 25, 2015, 09:01 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tyrion, Varyse, P.Baelish

Sangakarra have been nothing to his best in this current series...so he's not gonna be missed that much....NOT
Old Yesterday, 09:07 PM
Cricket Sage

Era begins in just a couple hours now. All eyes on whoever the new #3 will be...