facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old June 6, 2010, 12:33 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sakib,KP,Steyn
Default Technical problem of Bangladeshi Batsmen

Sorry for opening yet another thread. I find its more cricketing to discuss about technical side of our players than other stuffs.
Lets start with Riyad who I thought had good technic. But in England series commies has discovered his faulty stance. According to them Riyad stance causing him to get out in same fashion in this series.
I have also noticed Johurul having problem with offspin and inswinger delivery. I think there must be some technical issue behind his problem.

Old June 6, 2010, 01:25 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Dale Willem Steyn

None of our batters are technically 100% pure. Even in World Cricket there are very few. Being in form and being technically pure is totally different.

I can say one thing Tamim is not also technically pure. He is in form. We have to wait till he loses his form. If he never lose it than he is great like Sachin, Lara or Kallis.

Rather discussing individually, we should discuss our common Technical Problem at first.

1. Footwork (Footwork in slow & low condition and quick & bouncy are not same)

2. Back lift (It differs batter to batter)

3. Adjusting with the delivery diversification from same bowler in same spell. (If they deliver 3 outgoing ball consecutively, our batter just get beat in very next ball if it is in coming)

Whatever they score in the next innings, these problems will continue.
Old June 6, 2010, 01:29 AM
Cricket Legend

Another thing, our batters remove their eye contact with the ball several times. Even Tamim also did so. You must keep your eye on the ball up to the last moment whether you play or leave the ball.
Old June 6, 2010, 02:32 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Favorite Player: bhujee kom

We have Mental problem. Amra shobai pagol.
Old June 6, 2010, 02:56 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Ash,Tamim, Rahim,Sakib

As the English commentators said and rightly so, the domestic setup in BD stinks, also the pitches in BD is half their problem. Why cant they have a bouncier pitch and face more short pitched rising balls from a bowling machine. This series have shown their shortcomings from the rising balls and their opposition will take advantage of this.
I felt Jamie Siddons did not have a good training camp with them before they left for England, these guys were playing useless 20/20 matches on flat pitches.
I agree with the English commentators with everything they said about BD cricket, say it as it is. Boycott will have a field day now, BD bowled out twice in one session, very laughable and disgraceful.. Athar Ali Khan was asked at the end as to why he thought that BD put in such a poor performance and he rightly blamed the whole set up in BD, but unforfunately, everyone talks and no one does anything about it. BCB does not want to spend the money on a sports psychologist, bouncier pitches, bowling and batting coaches. I think BD will not win a test match for another 10 yrs, maybe, by that time ICC might just say enough is enough, you have had 20 yrs and still no improvement.
I still think that the 2 tier system is the best, they will play more matches.
Old June 7, 2010, 12:33 AM
Cricket Legend

Everyone talks about the fast and bouncy pitch. We have low and spinning track. But we cannot play extra spin from Swann. Old Traford helped the spinners enough. What our batters did? They failed.

Without improving the technique, whatever the pitch type in domestic level, problems will be continued.
Old June 7, 2010, 07:45 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Curtly Ambrose

actually what was the problem ????

pace and bounce ???
or
the cloud cover ???

to me its the cloud cover when the ball was seaming and swinging more.
Old June 7, 2010, 08:06 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Ashraful,mashrafe,shakib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imteaz
Everyone talks about the fast and bouncy pitch. We have low and spinning track. But we cannot play extra spin from Swann. Old Traford helped the spinners enough. What our batters did? They failed.

Without improving the technique, whatever the pitch type in domestic level, problems will be continued.
Someone at CI pointed this out, there is a huge difference between spin and "spin with bounce" Slow, low spin like we have in BD can hardly get any batsman out as the vertical variability does not matter. But in English spinning pitches, we have to think about the bounce as well.
Old June 7, 2010, 02:36 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Tamim, Shakib, Mashrafe

This is what i call a proper thread. Anyways, in response to Offstump above, i too think that the extra bounce is not a big deal. batsman can easily duck the ball/leave on length.
in NZ we did good whilst batting on a bouncy pitch. we did ok in lords when the sun was out, and also in old trafford. both pitches are much bouncier than the ones back home.
But, when there is a hint of swing, our batsman do look clueless. but swing itself is not the answer. its not cloud cover only. for bd batsman its the deadly formula of: cloud clover + bouncy pitch = batting collapse. its the combination of the two that has led to all of the batting collapses we have seen in each 4 innings. so what is the answer? yes, we can make more bouncier pitches at home, but itself will not do. the only way to get better is to actually play against quality attack under these conditions more often. i find it really saddening that the bd team wont come back to england in the next 10 years. in saying that, county contracts really would help...we already have shakib, and tamim may get one also.
After watching all of the bd games in the past few months, this is what i have observed of each batsman:

Tamim. He is the most all round batsman in the bd team. equally good on the front and back foot, can play the hook, pull, as good as he can drive. but his defence is also very good (when he chooses to defend). the only technical point about tamim is his lack of foot movement when playing some shots. but his brilliant hand-eye coordination makes up for that up. with tamim, its more of a mental thing than technical. JS has done great job with him.
junaid. he is good on the front foot, not so great on the back foot. he has a problem with short deliveries also when he tries to leave a ball, he doesnt move his bat out the way completly. also, junaid has a tendency to go on the front foot, regardless of the length of the ball. and in doing this, he gets into all sorts of trouble with the short ball, but in saying that, hes managed to fix that abit in the past few months.
Imrul is very similar to junaid, and most of the above points relate to him aswel. but imrul is a rubbish player of pull-hook shot, and i will best advice him not to attack the short ball.
ashraful...well lets not go there. wasted enough words on him.
shakib..arrogance. thats his flaw. he thinks hes a better batsman then he actually is. when he defends he does look good, but too many times he plays stupid shots. he has a problem sometimes of keeping the ball along the ground, he fails to get over the ball. but i think that when he plays county he will get better at this.
jahurul. he seems to have a good technique. his initial movement for short ball is on the back foot, and that is a good sign. i think he hasnt got many technical flaws against pace bowling. but for spin bowling it seems he has, but i havnt seen to much of him to judge yet.
riyad. he has a problem of playing away from his body. he needs to learn how to play with a straight bat more often. and too many times there is a big gap between his body and the bat, and he needs to close that space, and not offer the bowler the sight of all three stumps. otherwise he will be useless against quality pace bowling. he is, however, a quality player of spin.
rahim. i think he is a technically sound batsman, and i cant find any technical flaws with him. but his high backlift might be a problem against the genuine quickies/swing. ever heard the phrase of 'playing the ball late'? well with his high backlift, playing late becomes much harder, and i will advise him to think about that a little bit more, but i wouldnt change his action too much.

All in all though, there have been huge improvements in the batting department. but, we need to play more under conditions that do not suit us. also, we definately need a sports phycologist, as i think that the mental barrier of bd batsman is the most important thing.

Last edited by rahat90; June 7, 2010 at 02:43 PM..
Old June 7, 2010, 04:09 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Ash,Tamim, Rahim,Sakib

Technically, all BD batsmen are deficient in their batting technique. Seems that Siddons is lacking in his observation of these deficiences in each batsman and by now, should have really made an effort to correct these flaws, seems that he is only interested in a few batsmen. He should really try to have a good talking to Sakib who is undoing all his hard work and improvement in batting. Jahurul, Imrul and Junaid needs good grooming. Hopes that there will be a big improvement by the time the 2011 WC comes around.
Old June 7, 2010, 05:27 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zainab
. Jahurul, Imrul and Junaid needs good grooming. .
Siddons himself said that he likes these 3 barsmen and I m sure he is taking good care of them. Thet are the sort of players he likes to work with and they have improved and will continue improving. What scares me is, Shaqib losing his batting consistency
Old June 7, 2010, 05:36 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: The big hearted ones

With lack of response on this subject, it's obvious no body wants to talk about it as it's been talked about for the nth time.
All these we speak of hear are known to each and every player of the team. They don't lack the knowledge they just lack the execution. Why can't they execute? Because of their inability to learn fast enough or learn at all. Why can't they learn? Because they just don't have it in them, whether it's talent or temperament, they just don't have it in them. Few that does possess, shine for a while and then wither away as you can't keep putting the whole team's load on 2 or 3. Until new generation of cricketers emerges, I don't see any change in site but even that looks bleak watching the new admin in charge.......so we are DOOOOOMED!!!!!!
Old June 7, 2010, 05:40 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: The big hearted ones

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark mage
Siddons himself said that he likes these 3 barsmen and I m sure he is taking good care of them. Thet are the sort of players he likes to work with and they have improved and will continue improving. What scares me is, Shaqib losing his batting consistency
It's inevitable. All good players fail every now and then but it's the great ones that overcome their bad pathces and succeed for a long time.

Whenever someone comes in the lime light oppositions find their weaknesses and exploit them. Just watch and see how Tamim will be disected by the team that we will be playing next. If he's good enough he'll then change his game accordingly.
Old June 7, 2010, 10:45 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib, Amla

I have three words for our players....REPETITION, REPETITION and REPETITION. There are two equally important aspects of any sports that need to be mastered in order for one to become a top player-- Mental and Technical. Since this thread focuses solely on the technical aspects of players, the need for a good sports psychologist in our team will be left for another discussion.

Now regarding technical flaws of our cricketers, once a flaw is identified, the next step is to define the correct action, and after that it's all about repeating the shot in the correct manner for a batsman, or bowling in the right areas for a bowler, as many times as they can, each and every day until it becomes part of their natural game.

When I look at our current team I see light at the end of the tunnel, not only because I’m a glass half full kinda person, but because hardworking individuals like Tamim are stepping up to the plate more frequently than before and accepting the challenge. When a guy like Tamim, after having a bad tournament, goes back to the gym to rectify his flaws and spends 8 hours a day practicing shots against the short ball, you know he’s doing something right.

As long as Matin shaheb was our best batsman I never thought we had much hope or would make much progress as a team. It was all about this aura of God gifted talent that could not be replicated. There was no hope for the rest of mankind and hard work would not change anything unless you’re born with a silver bat in your hands. That mindset had a profound impact on our team culture. I just never bought that theory. To me it's always been about hard work and will remain that way. I firmly believe hard work will eventually trump talent any day of the week and any week of the year.

Tamim is a living example. Look where only few months of hard work got him! It was enough to earn him Man of the series award despite his injured wrist. What I liked even more is the fact that he attributed his success to hard work, implicitly challenging his team mates to work harder. I think this will set a good precedence and encourage other players to become more diligent and work on their game as opposed to only relying on their talent and hoping to get lucky every time they step on the turf.