facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old June 14, 2010, 09:57 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mahmudullah Riyad
Default The Pet thread

A thread for all animal lovers, from Aardvarks to Zebras. I dont think is a thread on this, so I made my own. I know lots of Bengalis who have goldfish

Any dog lovers out there, Im considering to get a Great Dane puppy, but I wanted to know how much food does large dog take, and how much it costs and everything.

Old June 14, 2010, 10:38 AM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

When I was three, I caught a gold fish at an inflatable pool at the mall, brought it home and put it in a jar. Later that night, I came home to find that it had died on me. Then I've had more fish and birds die on me. There was this one parrot that broke out of its cage and crashed on to the soil two floors down - how, I have no clue. I had a deer and wanted to eat it, but locking it up in the garage got it depressed, so we had to let it free.

But the death of my very first gold fish was probably the most difficult to deal with. Watching its lifeless body spiral down the kitchen sink at the tender age of three wasn't a pretty site. I was scarred for life. And now I'm scared of having children.
Old June 14, 2010, 11:38 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Saudi Capital

Once I found a chicken on the street of Sylhet near the place I used to live in. I liked it so much and looked like it was familiar with people coming close to him. So I touched its head (maya korsi arki...how to say it in English? ) and then went home. Then after a while when I came out of my flat (it was on the 2nd floor of a building), I found that chicken in the stairs. I was amazed, and thought surely it has no owner and somehow came to our area and got lost or whatever and now he had traced me upto my flat coz he loved me. So I though okay, I'm taking him. I took him to my flat, kept him in the veranda, tied one of his legs with my bicycle so that he doesn't try escape through the grill of the windows. I gave him chaul to eat. His nails were dirty, so I tried cutting those but he didn't let me. And at the evening, the owner of the chicken (who used to live couple of houses away) started looking for the chicken everywhere and during his search, he came across the lady who used to work in our house (she was going to the shop to get something). She told him that I had found the small chicken and kept to myself. Then she brought him to our flat and let him take the chicken away. I cried a lot!
Old June 14, 2010, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsifTheManRahman
...Fish dying on me...
After I did my O levels, amar kera jagsilo to have a small fish bowl with a moneyplant and some fish in it. The idea being that the plant would get fish poop as manure, and oxygenate the water, while the fish swam in a natural healthy environment. That didnt work out as within a few hours the bowl became extremely dirty.

Then I had to spend more money and buy a small fish tank... without a filter. The problem continued and threads of fish poop was floating all over. Inevitably I had to buy a filter that did a good job of keeping the poop and debris under it, while letting bubbles into the water. What was a problem was the wooden lid of the tank going green with algae.

So I used to leave the lid open while I was out of the house.... only to find at least one fish going suicidal everyday and jumping out of the small tank, lying dead on the mosaic floor when I came back. I also suspect a few of the tiny buggers got eaten up by the slightly larger ones. After the last one died, I didnt bother replenishing the collection.

As for when I was in class 2 to class 7 I had deshi kutta as a pet dog. The first one was a joy, my best friend in a lonely home. One day I tied him to the garage grill, he jumped in front of our car and got hit. He died right then in front of my eyes.

He was replaced by another deshi kutta, a female this time. She was an aggressive dog, loved hunting mice (cheekas), my best friend, but one who would bite anyone and everyone (including the hand that fed her), and fight with any other dog (and lose). She was also assaulted quite a bit by our bariwala'r shoitan darwan, which exacerbated her aggression. I had her the longest, and gave her away to my fupa in uttara who she adored (ie. she used to dry hump his leg). She ran away from there one day.. and was spotted a few months later by my sister's friend in uttara with sagging udders.

My most vivid memory of my dog was her continuous mournful howls and barks one night. It kept me up, and it saddened me.

I love neri kuttas on the streets, they are the symbol of independence, liberty, and a highly adaptive spirit. They have personality, and wont roll over or sit. They'll cock their ears and stare at you for the biscuits you throw them, and they'll wag if you whistle. But they'll be wild at heart, foraging through the garbage, curling up and sleeping peacefully amidst the ratrace, they'll snarl and fight amongst themselves, bark at the moving shadows, and fornicate at will when the time comes. Its good to see dogs be dogs.
Old June 14, 2010, 12:02 PM
Cricket Legend

ahh... I am compelled to post in this thread...

we had 6 bunnies in total at various time in our apt when I was in Dhaka. In particular there was this brown Belgian one (atleast I was told it was Belgian breed, and was clearly different from the typical white ones available in BD).
My brother named it 'Modon' but on the contrary it was just so smart....

The funny thing is, we fed him rice with mangshor jhol and whatever we had for food and he just grew fond of them. It had its plate underneath our dining table so basically everytime we had lunch/dinner, we used to drop a some of the food (minus meat/fish) for him. It was literally like having a cat or dog around. It got huge in size (size of a mid size cat) in no time. It even used to watch TV with us in the living room.

Every time it needed to poop, it would go back to its cage (with an attached balti as toilet) and do it and then come back. We never had issues with cleaning its poop...

sigh... and I'll skip how Modon 'parted' from us....
Old June 14, 2010, 12:15 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Rohit Sharma

acha ekhane to bhaloi pet niye essay lekha lekhi hoche....
Old June 14, 2010, 12:39 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: The venerated one on BC.

I have a betta fish which refuses to die.

Had a chick once; grew into a massive cock before it died.

Since I grew up in my nanabari, my nana's german shepherd, Jimmy, was basically my dog. He died from old-age (he was 11 I think) ... by far the greatest pet I've ever had.

I want to get either a golden lab or a siberian husky in the future, when I have my own place. My mom does not want to take care of dogs right now.

There are some "street" cats that chill in front of my house now. I fed them a couple of times, and now they refuse to leave my parking lot. Guess you could call them mine, except I haven't named 'em or anything. Not particularly fond of cats.

Nafi, I hear great Dane's are high-maintenance, but they're most likely worth it. Smart dogs. But you do need to feed it a crapload of food.
Old June 14, 2010, 12:41 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrequiem
Had a chick once; grew into a massive cock before it died.
Oh man, was that in Thailand?
Old June 14, 2010, 12:42 PM
Cricket Legend

Btw, Siberian Husky pups:

EXTREMELY HIGH-MAINTENANCE (especially in Miami weather) ... but I daresay, they are completely worth it.
Old June 14, 2010, 12:44 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Nah, it was in THE DHK.
Old June 14, 2010, 12:56 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Abu Jayed Rahi

my aunt named one of our household cats in Bangladesh "Pikachu"

Last edited by Rifat; June 14, 2010 at 01:02 PM..
Old June 14, 2010, 01:04 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Aravinda DeSilva, Lara

Quote:
Old June 14, 2010, 01:08 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
LOL okay, just got the joke. Good one. Looking back at it, my particular phrasing makes this very "quotable."
Old June 14, 2010, 01:11 PM

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

I had a couple of cats while I was growing up. The best experience I had was with this kitten that I stole near the Mosque. At first, she was quite scrawny and looked as though she would not survive. Many high-end catfoods and vitamins later, she blossomed into a beautiful fluffy cat. She was not only sought after by all the stray cats near my area but also my neighbors. Did I mention that all the cats wanted a piece of her? Oh man, she could make Paris Hilton look like Mother Teresa. Our whole family enjoyed her company though. She was quite playful, and would always chase around random objects. We never had any issues on pooping as she would simply stand near the door when she felt she needed to go. Boy, I loved that cat. Whenever I would study during the night, she would jump on my lap and purr loudly while claw my thighs(not actually scratch but show it in an affectionate way).

But as will all the good things that happen to me, her time was short. One evening, she wanted to leave the house as usual and so we let her leave. A few hours later, I went out of the house to get some groceries, only to find our beloved Kittu(that's what we called her) lying on the floor with ooze of blood flowing away from her head. I gave her a proper burial by tossing her corpse away near the woods. Our whole family mourned her death, and I was especially surprised to see my mom had such affection for that cat as she usually was not too fond of them. Kittu will always be my favorite cat, and I hope she is in a better place now.
Old June 14, 2010, 01:14 PM

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

BTW Electri, why would you want a Siberian Husky in a Miami weather? Have you got no sympathy for the poor fella?
Old June 14, 2010, 01:16 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

My friend's mom chased their cat away because she couldn't stand it.
Old June 14, 2010, 01:17 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonoy
BTW Electri, why would you want a Siberian Husky in a Miami weather? Have you got no sympathy for the poor fella?
They actually adapt well, dude. They shed a lot (expectedly) but as long as they are inside the house, they are cool (pun intended). They actually enjoy the outdoors and open spaces around the suburbs a LOT ... my friend's uncle has three, and they cope quite well. They keep him quite active, though haha.
Old June 14, 2010, 01:19 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Jahanara Alam, Zuccarello

Hahahah...Listen bhais, Pets ebong animals rights nie amaro bohoo kichu bolar ache....

I need some time....
To Be Contn'd.

1972-6 Raised Chicken Hen in the backyard.
1979-1982 short-lived success in raising Ducks. Failed heavily, ducks were stolen by thieves heavily.
1975-1979 raised a family of Goats, provided birthgiving support to Maamoo.
1979-? Tropical Domestic Gray Snail
1981-1983 Tropical Fish
Had nighmare ever since, I have repeat nightmares with tanks, strange fish, water inhabitants, sea snakes etc. Still suffering from this.
1980s Cows
1983-1988 local brown Deer, bred in house. Raised a fatherless family.
1982-1988 Birds, Mynah, Finches, Varities of Fiches, Canaries bred a few.
1993-1995 Tank raised slat-water Fish, Crabs, etc.
1995-1996 Canaries, didn't survive long at all.

1999-present 7 Cats from 13 to 16 years olds.
2004-present 4 rabbits 2 died.
2005-2007 Fish Tank, Thai Crabs etc.
2010 a very small mouse, died in 2 days.

Last edited by bujhee kom; June 14, 2010 at 01:50 PM..
Old June 14, 2010, 01:19 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrequiem
LOL okay, just got the joke.
I din't (buddhi kom), what it is?
Old June 14, 2010, 01:22 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib, Amla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purbasha T
I din't (buddhi kom), what it is?
LOL...not sure you want to know...trust me dude...some things are best left unexplained
Old June 14, 2010, 03:13 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
I had a chick before, grew into a massive cock before it died
Quote:
Best joke in BC

Quote:
One evening, she wanted to leave the house as usual and so we let her leave. A few hours later, I went out of the house to get some groceries, only to find our beloved Kittu(that's what we called her) lying on the floor with ooze of blood flowing away from her head.
How did it die, get hit by a car?

Last edited by Nafi; June 14, 2010 at 03:20 PM..
Old June 14, 2010, 03:41 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman
LOL...not sure you want to know...trust me dude...some things are best left unexplained
That makes me even more curious. Though I'm guessing some stuff, but I'd be better off not uttering those, and make things worse. Now c'mon tell me.
Old June 14, 2010, 05:32 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafi
A thread for all animal lovers, from Aardvarks to Zebras. I dont think is a thread on this, so I made my own. I know lots of Bengalis who have goldfish

Any dog lovers out there, Im considering to get a Great Dane puppy, but I wanted to know how much food does large dog take, and how much it costs and everything.
Nafi, we (Muslims) are not allowed to have dogs as pets.

http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/S...=1119503547226
Old June 14, 2010, 06:21 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbsash

Sorry I dont believe in that rubbish. Those hadiths are false in my eyes, created by Abu Huraira who was well documented cat lover, and hated dogs. Apparently black dogs are the devil, what kind of pagan belief is that. Thats what the idol worhippers probably believe before Islam

There are several verse of the Quran that prove Dogs are cleans and dogs are good companions.

I follow the word of Allah, not the words of Abu Huraira.

1/ Dogs are clean, you can eat animals, that it has caught in its mouth

Quote:
They ask you what was made lawful to them, say: “All the good things have been made lawful for you, and what the trained dogs and birds catch, you teach them from what God teaches you.” So eat from what they have captured for you and mention God’s name upon it, and be aware of God. God is quick in reckoning. [5:4]
2/ Dogs are good companions and will not stop visits of angels

Quote:
"You would think that they were awake, when they were in fact asleep. We turned them to the right side and the left side, while their dog stretched his arms in their midst."- Quran 18:18
Quote:
Some would say, "They were three; their dog being the fourth," while others would say, "Five; the sixth being their dog," as they guessed. Others said, "Seven," and the eighth was their dog. Say, "My Lord is the best knower of their number." - Quran 18:22
Why would Allah give so much importance to the dog as being one among his best servants if the animal was as these hadithists say a despicable creation of the devil? The sleepers in the cave were protected by Allah for around 300 years. If Allah were to allow the dog to be protected along with them, that can only show that Allah approves of the dog as being man’s companion. This only proves without a doubt that the Prophet could have never uttered such hadiths that go against the very essence of the Holy Quran. The dog is the creature that has been man’s best friend throughout history. This animal has a God given gift to bring happiness into people’s lives. It serves many important roles in our lives as most are aware of. Therefore it doesn’t make sense that the Prophet would trash the animal and warn us against it.

Allah knows best

Last edited by Nafi; June 14, 2010 at 06:34 PM..
Old June 14, 2010, 06:32 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Nannu, Ash, Mash

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbsash

plain BS