facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old July 18, 2010, 02:09 PM
Cricket Legend

Default 10 Years of Bangladesh Cricket - A Statistical Analysis

These first ten years are not exactly something to be proud of. Only 3 wins and those were against depleted second or third string sides. Apart from a couple of others, we lost all the rest. So how do we measure our progress, if any.

I have gone back to Cricket's oldest statistic. The average. Except here, I have taken the team's average per wicket - batting and bowling - and come up with a result which I have named the Competition Index. The Competition Index is simply a Ratio. It is, in fact, the result of the batting average divided by the bowling average.

A 100% ratio would mean that we scored exactly the same number of runs per wicket as did our opponents. In other words, we were broadly speaking equal in strength. So, you would expect, given Bangladesh's record so far, for us to have a decidedly inferior ratio. But how does that ratio compare year after year. Has there been any improvement ?

Let me make some caveats. Firstly, in our inaugural year, 2000, we played only one test match. So, I believe it is not very representative. Similarly, in 2009, we played only 3 test matches including 2 against Floyd Reiffer's West Indies side - remember him ?

Here is the table:

YearTestsBat Ave.Bowl Ave.C.IndexNote
2000124.5544.8154.79%
2001819.7959.8233.08%
2002816.7357.5429.08%
2003920.4345.7544.66%
2004822.8556.1440.70%ZIM 2
2005622.2544.5649.93%ZIM 2
2006425.1348.6951.61%
2007518.7379.5423.55%
2008920.1140.6249.51%
2009324.9631.5179.21%
2010729.3754.9153.49%

From an initial glance, it is clear 2010 has been by a glorious cover drive the best year for batting. Almost respectable, I might say, at 29.37 runs per wicket. This includes 4 test matches against England and 3 test matches out of 7 abroad. It should not come as a surprise. Our average totals have been higher than late and centuries have flowed in greater numbers than hitherto. 2009 was the best year for bowling, but I have warned against reading too much into it. One, only 3 tests and, two, two of them against Reiffer's West Indies side.

The index - which takes into account both batting and bowling shows that apart from those two rather unrepresenatative years, 2010 was the best year for Bangladesh cricket in tests. 2006 comes up second best but all four test matches were played in Bangladesh - so the result will be slightly biased.

A rather odd result was 2009. Regardless of the aforementioned 2 test wins in the west Indies out of only 3 tests, we still did not manage even 100% in the ratio. Why ? Because in the only other test match against Sri Lanka , we were walloped to the tune of 465 runs at Chittagong.

Now compare the ratio in 2010 against 2007 which was our nadir it seems. In 2007 , we scored less than a quarter runs per wicket than we conceded. Now, we score just above 53%. Given that for all the test countries, these two averages must equal out, it shows that we have progressed but very slowly. I did not realise that 2007 was worse than 2002 and 2003.

2008 was the best year for our bowling. There are no caveats here. 4 Tests each against South Africa and New Zealand - split equally , home and away. The other one was against Sri Lanka. This was the year Shakib announced himself as a truly international class bowler.

If we could bat like we have in 2010 and bowl like we did in 2008, there could be more five day test matches including some draws.

Make what you will, but these are the facts and figures !

Last edited by Imtiazk; July 19, 2010 at 03:02 AM..

Old July 18, 2010, 02:12 PM
Banned

A firm step towards better performances and consistency, however gradually. Thank you Imtiazk.
Old July 18, 2010, 02:13 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Jahanara Alam, Zuccarello

Thank you Imtiaz bhai! This is great work, very clear and easy for me to understand!
Old July 18, 2010, 02:21 PM
Banned

Good insight.
I think this can be a front page material if you elaborate further progression on each year.
Old July 18, 2010, 02:25 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Sid Crosby.

Imtiaz bhai.

Great stuff. Thank you for this clear and easy to read statistical data. It is the TEST stats and improvement of recent year(s) that excites me. Thanks once again.
Old July 18, 2010, 02:33 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beamer
Imtiaz bhai.

Great stuff. Thank you for this clear and easy to read statistical data. It is the TEST stats and improvement of recent year(s) that excites me. Thanks once again.
Thanks. I failed to include a word about 2008 bowling performance. There are no caveats there. 9 test matches, 4 each against South Africa and New Zealand , home and away. The other one was against Sri Lanka.

At 40.62, this meant an opponent that year would have barely mustered 406 runs against us in an innings ! If we batted that year like we did in 2010, some of the test matches may have been interesting. But let's hope.

It was Shakib taking up his mantle as our true test class bowler.
Old July 18, 2010, 05:08 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Sid Crosby.

Indeed. It could have been very very interesting. 2009-10 has been the best batting years in our history of test cricket, and without the services of the veterans due to retirement or Ashraful as a matter of fact. The new generation will carry us through, hopefully, in coming years.
Old July 18, 2010, 06:11 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Saudi Capital

Thanks for this. Looks good though if you look at it that way. We all know how talented this team is. It's the sudden farcical performances that make us doubt it. But we've crossed a bridge or two that's for sure.
Old July 18, 2010, 09:08 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Curtly Ambrose

good analysis ..........
Old July 18, 2010, 09:50 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Rafique & Pailot

Great stuff Imtiazk.

Curious about the Competition Index of the other test team such as number 8 in the ranking, may be West Indies. So that we can compare how far we are behind from our closest opponent in test cricket.

Thanks for the work Imtiazk.
Old July 19, 2010, 08:20 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Graeme Smith

That bowling is disgusting...
Old July 19, 2010, 10:35 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

Bowlers are step sons of the coach, what can u expect?
Old July 20, 2010, 05:45 PM
Cricket Guru

If you don't know how to analyze stats, it can always guide you to wrong conclusion. With more powerplays, flatter pitches, heavier bats and what not, cricket has become more of a batsman's game in recent years.

Reality is that our batsmen seldom make a defensible total in current standard.
Old July 20, 2010, 06:20 PM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eshen
If you don't know how to analyze stats, it can always guide you to wrong conclusion. With more powerplays, flatter pitches, heavier bats and what not, cricket has become more of a batsman's game in recent years.

the stats in this thread are about test cricket, where there is no powerplay. flat pitches and heavy bats existed 10 years ago too i believe.

our batsmen frequently made a competitive total but bowlers do not bowl well on a regular basis. we lost to india even though we scored around 297, we lost to netherlands even though we scored over 190 in 30 overs. our batting is fine, bowling is not.
Old July 20, 2010, 08:22 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Jahanara Alam, Zuccarello

10 long years of nonstop torture and abuse! Yeah, it almost killed me!
Old July 20, 2010, 08:45 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul Haque

Quote:
Originally Posted by bujhee kom
10 long years of nonstop torture and abuse! Yeah, it almost killed me!
There were fun times, sweet times.

I remember I was sitting in an exam when BD beat Kenya, listening to radio when Akram beat Holland. Watching Waqar's face when we beat Pak was so pleasing. Also all those matches we won watching live was real fun. Ashraful, Aftab, Mash, Razzak, Rafique when in good form brought lot of joy.

But yeah all those got washed away today.
Old July 21, 2010, 02:00 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eshen

I am not sure how much of a lesson I need to take from you regarding statistics. But one important virtue for anyone is to read, think and then open his gob. As the total of the Competition index for all countries match exactly at 100%, all your variables are meaningless. If someone bowled below par, the other side batted better, statistically.

The problem here is that many people either smell conspiracies in every post or are actively involved in one. Us Bangalee's believe the grass is always greener on the other side...without even going over to the other side !
Old July 21, 2010, 02:08 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Dale Willem Steyn

Good Analysis.
Old July 21, 2010, 02:41 AM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Tamim and Shakib

those ifs and buts are annoying now.