facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old October 14, 2010, 10:28 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Love them all....
Default Associates criticise World Cup proposals for 10 team World Cup in 2015

ICC news

Associates criticise World Cup proposals

Tariq Engineer and Andrew McGlashan
September 15, 2010
Text size: A | A

Associate countries have argued against shortening the 50-over World Cup © Cricinfo Ltd
Enlarge
Related Links
News : Clean up your act, ICC tells PCB
News : ICC approves Test championship
News : ICC to discuss spot-fixing, Test Championship
News : No plan to exclude Associates from World Cup - ICC
News : Test Championship moves a step closer
Teams: Canada | Ireland | Kenya | Scotland
Sites: Cricinfo ICC Site

The leading Associate members of the ICC have described the plans for a smaller 50-over World Cup as a glass ceiling that will restrict the growth of the game in their countries, while simultaneously protecting the interests of the full members.
"The challenge will be [to see] how we break through," Chandra Gocool, Cricket Canada's chief executive told ESPNcricinfo.
The ICC's chief executives committee, which includes three representatives from the associate countries (Ireland, Namibia and Hong Kong) in addition to those from the ten full members, has suggested reducing the 50-over tournament to 10 teams from 2015 onwards, while increasing the Twenty20 tournament to 16 teams. The 2011 World Cup in India has 14 teams, including four Associates; a 10-team event would effectively make it much harder for any of them to qualify the next time around.
The ICC has stressed that it has not yet decided how those ten teams will be decided and the proposals do not explicitly state that Associates will be excluded from the tournament. That seems unlikely, though, to ease the concerns in cricket's second tier of nations, with the national boards of Kenya, Canada and Ireland - who have all qualified for the 2011 World Cup - leading the criticism.
Cricket must be the only sport where you can't qualify for the World Cup on merit," Cricket Kenya's chief executive Tom Sears said. "In football and rugby, if you are good enough, you can compete. Unfortunately, the ICC seems to want to pull up the drawbridge and not allow the Associate countries in."
According to Gocool, the Associate members had, as a group, submitted a paper to the ICC on how cricket in their countries could best grow and thrive They were hoping for a promotion/relegation system that would encourage them to develop and challenge some of the full members. The ICC's proposed system, however, would force them to focus on Twenty20 cricket, potentially to the detriment of other forms of the game.
"Especially worrisome is the lessened opportunity to play in the cricket world cup in 2015," he said. "This opportunity was a significant incentive for us to continue to focus on our development. We are now faced with a glass ceiling."
Ireland are among the most successful of the Associates with a strong track record in the 50-over game - they famously beat Pakistan in the 2007 World Cup. Warren Deutrom, CEO of the national board, said the Twenty20 format was a good way to spread to the game, but the not the way to improve a team's performance.
He also thought the ICC would be better served by waiting until after the 2011 World Cup to determine whether such a "radical step" is necessary. "To say there are only 10 countries worthy of ODI status flies in the face of several indicators such as Ireland's position above a Full Member [Zimbabwe] in the ranks and Bangladesh's recent defeats against Netherlands and Ireland.
Roddy Smith, the chief executive of Cricket Scotland, welcomed the expansion of the World Twenty20 but cautioned that it should not be a trade-off for a shorter 50-over tournament. "Twenty20 is a great development tool for the lower-ranked Associates, but the bread and butter for the top eight or 10 teams is 50-over ODI matches."
Accepting such changes would hinge on what kind of qualification tournament would be created, Smith said. "If there was no qualification tournament it would be a huge issue for Associate cricket. It is vital to have a qualification event,"
Kenya memorably beat the West Indies in the 1996 World Cup, bowling them out for 93. Seven years later they beat Sri Lanka, Bangladesh and Zimbabwe on their way to the semi-finals. Ireland first qualified for the World Cup in 2007; Canada has played in the 1979, 2003 and 2007 tournaments and Scotland has featured in the 1999 and 2007 editions.
Sears agreed it is easier for the associate teams to compete in the shortest version of the game, but said all three formats were integral to the development of cricket. "Test cricket is important; one-day cricket is important and Twenty20 cricket is important. If we are not allowed to compete in all formats, I don't see how the game can grow."

Tariq Engineer is a senior sub-editor and Andrew McGlashan an assistant editor at Cricinfo
Feeds: Tariq Engineer © ESPN EMEA Ltd.
http://www.cricinfo.com/ci-icc/conte...ry/477274.html
Old October 16, 2010, 05:54 AM
Test Cricketer

I cannot think of a more stupid decision... if the ICC intention is to kill the associates and set cricket future in a narrow way this is surely the best thing to do!

No hope left for Ireland, Kenya, Afghanistan, Netherlands, the USA etc...
Old October 16, 2010, 07:03 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Shak-Ash-Tam

I think the associates didn't get the essence of the decisions yet. The officials of the associate nations will definitely miss the trip to Wc, that's a concern off course. Briefly their benefits are:

1. They will get more scope in T20 worldcup
2. They will get more ODI matches against bigger team because of that league system championship; instead of just two WC matches they are atleast going to get 10-12 matches against the better teams.

In the ODi world cup it is infact pointless to keep the associates, since they have no chance of fighting for the cup, where as T20 world cup provides them a better opportunity. But the ODI match practice against better teams increased manyfold, what else can you ask for? I'm with ICC and I think they have made very sensible decisions.
I'm with Shahbag for fair punishment of all war criminals. Im with Shahbag to stand for fair trials of all Corruption, all murders and social injustices occurred over last 40 years. I'm for a secular, corruption free & Just society in Bangladesh. Spirit of '71
Old October 16, 2010, 08:16 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANFAN
I think the associates didn't get the essence of the decisions yet. The officials of the associate nations will definitely miss the trip to Wc, that's a concern off course. Briefly their benefits are:

1. They will get more scope in T20 worldcup
2. They will get more ODI matches against bigger team because of that league system championship; instead of just two WC matches they are atleast going to get 10-12 matches against the better teams.

In the ODi world cup it is infact pointless to keep the associates, since they have no chance of fighting for the cup, where as T20 world cup provides them a better opportunity. But the ODI match practice against better teams increased manyfold, what else can you ask for? I'm with ICC and I think they have made very sensible decisions.
I don't agree with that part, they should be still given the chance and it's not up to the full members like Australia, India etc to say they have no chance. But my opinions are biased, I'd like a big or a normal World Cup with associate teams, so yeah.
Old October 16, 2010, 11:04 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
I don't see the associates having the chance of playing the test teams 10-12 matches anytime... Afghanistan have been the sensation of the associates in the last 3-4 years but still they never got the chance to play to any test side.
btw the football world cup has 32 teams competing.
the rugby world cup has 20 teams competing.
why should cricket world cup only have 10 teams and not qualifiers?

I think the ICC are trying to promote 20-20 and make ODI irrilevant... it's a question of money, I guess.

Last edited by Xavier; October 16, 2010 at 11:18 AM..
Old October 17, 2010, 09:05 PM
Cricket Legend

People in charge of ICC are morrons. How can you expand the game if you don't let the world try to win the cup. Instead of the world cup they might as well call it 10 country cup from 2015!
Old October 18, 2010, 12:33 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Shak-Ash-Tam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavier
I don't see the associates having the chance of playing the test teams 10-12 matches anytime... Afghanistan have been the sensation of the associates in the last 3-4 years but still they never got the chance to play to any test side.
btw the football world cup has 32 teams competing.
the rugby world cup has 20 teams competing.
why should cricket world cup only have 10 teams and not qualifiers?

I think the ICC are trying to promote 20-20 and make ODI irrilevant... it's a question of money, I guess.
With the new system of league style championship; you will see the associates playing more often than before. And that surely will be more than 2 matches that they used to get in WC.
I'm with Shahbag for fair punishment of all war criminals. Im with Shahbag to stand for fair trials of all Corruption, all murders and social injustices occurred over last 40 years. I'm for a secular, corruption free & Just society in Bangladesh. Spirit of '71
Old October 30, 2010, 12:41 AM
Cricket Guru

IMO, it should be a 12-team event, 2 top associates should be allowed to participate, as they used to do in past.
Old October 30, 2010, 12:47 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
With the new system of league style championship; you will see the associates playing more often than before. And that surely will be more than 2 matches that they used to get in WC.
Well, there are associates that have done lot more than just playing two matches in WC, such as Kenya going to WC'03 semi and Ireland uprooting Pakistan on their way to super 8.

Don't forget, just a decade ago, we used to be one of them!
Old October 30, 2010, 06:42 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Ash,Tamim, Rahim,Sakib

The Associates should have their own WC competition.
Old November 10, 2010, 03:54 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Richard Hadlee, Shakib

I know this has been discussed numerous times before and more than likely these suggestions will never even be considered with all
the politics that surround ICC but here is my solution for a
full ICC calendar.

The below schedule covers all three formats with my points noted on why I think it would be a good idea:

A few notes:

-- All international matches will have a purpose
-- All formats, series' and tournaments lead to crowning a winner
-- All teams involved as a fair shot at advancing and improving their standings
-- Growth and expansion of cricket has been considered as a primary reason behind the calendar
-- With matches being meaningful, there should be media interest in most matches and the dependancy on teams playing India will reduce

T20 :

A two year calendar to encourage the growth of cricket globally.

YEAR ONE :

The Cricket world will be split in 3 zones of 10 teams. Based on current members, below is a suggestion for the inagural tournament

ZONE ASIA : India, Sri Lanka, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Afghanistan, UAE, China, Malaysia, Hong Kong, Nepal
ZONE SOUTH : Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Kenya, Papua New Guinea, Namibia, Uganda, Fiji, Tanzania
ZONE NORTH : England, West Indies, Ireland, Scotland, Netherlands, USA, Canada, Bermuda, Denmark, Belgium

Each zonal tournament will be 2 groups of 5 with the top 2 in each group going to Semis and crowning a champion.
3rd place finishers will play each other for 5th place.
Top 5 qualify for world cup and the 3 6th positions play off for 16th slot.

Advantages : Countries like China and USA get exposed to some quality teams to build on. With the above grouping, the expected teams should qualify and with top 5 qualifying, there is no excuse should one of the top teams fail to qualify. The tournament can be concluded in two weeks without taking much
time off of the internation calendar and allow lesser countries hosting options. With enough significant teams in each zone, the bigger teams will have a motivation for winning the zone as well.

YEAR TWO :

World Cup takes place with 16 teams as identified above. 4 groups of 4 straight into QF, SF and F.
Non qualifiers will play associates tournaments with other nations such as Singapore, Argentina, Italy, France etc. for qualification to next years' zonal tournaments

ODI :

A two year league system for 3 Divisions. Based on current rankings :

DIV 1 : AUS, IND, SL, SA, ENG, PAK
DIV 2 : NZ, WI, BD, ZIM, IRE, NED
DIV 3 : KEN, SCO, AFG, CAN, BER, USA

The league runs over 2 years with each division playing 3 home and 3 away matches vs. everyone in their division.
Winner is crowned based on those 30 matches per team.
At the end of the league, bottom team from each division is relegated to the next and the top team advances.
the 5th position plays off with the 2nd position from the next division for promotion/relegation.

At a certain defined point, all of DIV1 and top 4 teams from DIV 2 will qualify for the WC and the final 2 DIV 2 teams and the top 2 DIV 3 teams will play for the final 2 spots
in the World Cup (12 teams total)

World Cup is every four years with 12 teams in 2 groups of 6. Group winners qualify for SF while 2nd and 3rd in alternate groups play each other for the other 2 SF spots.

Advantages : DIV 1 teams have a shot within two years to come back if relegated. If not its only fair to the other improved teams to get the shot. Everyone gets a significant
(more importantly) equal number of matches.

Test:

Give IRE test status and hold a tournament for a 12th qualifying nation (lets say its Afghanistan)

A three year cycle

note : A point system must be developed to break tied points and give less weight to weather effected draws

Year 1 :

Create four groups of three based on rankings (1,7,10), (2,8,9), (3,5,12), (4,6,11)
With current rankings that would be (IND, WI, ZIM), (SA, NZ, BD), (SL, AUS, AFG), (ENG,PAK,IRE)
Each group within year 1 plays each other in a home and away series
Top 2 qualify for QFs.
Elimination rounds will be based on that if the expected teams won, it would be 1v8, 2v7, 3v6, 4v5 into 1v4, 2v3 into 1v2

Year 2 :

QFs and SFs (based on home and away series)

Year 3 :

Final Series' (based on home and away) to crown Champion

Throughout Year 2 & Year 3:

1st round losing teams play each other to determine 9, 10, 11, 12 for next cycles rankings (home and away)
QF losers play each other for 5, 6, 7, 8 and SF losers play each other for 3 & 4.

Advantage : No complicated ranking system. Teams battle for that position. Better ranking provides chances to improve. Enough matches between home and away to prevent the top teams for crying unfair upsets.

Any series (Ashes for example), will have to be scheduled around the ICC events. This schedule will provide everyone with a solid but non-cluttered international schedule. This way more top players will be available for domestic leagues. Lucrative leagues such as IPL, CL, Big Bash etc. will have time to fourish without harming the international schedule.

The above schedules will utilize the different seasons of the differnt countries and provide solid cricket year round for the fans.
Schedules can be done easily and in advance.
Old January 3, 2011, 07:27 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Ryan Ten Doescate

How would we feel if we were associates? They are those who were like us maybe only 2-3 years ago. They can bloody some noses and that is good for cricket.
Old January 3, 2011, 12:19 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

There should be atleast 2 associate teams.
Atleast.
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]