facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old November 1, 2010, 04:10 PM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Sakib Al-hassan
Wink siddons to ask for more money ! expects a contract to be signed before WC.

It was coming! That's what I apprehended! The way our PM and her chamchas showed after we beat NZ, it was inevitable for a pro to make the most out of it. Lack of professionalism made it possible!

fficeffice" />
================================================== =====
Siddons thinks beyond WC

After a chequered three years with the Bangladesh national cricket team Australian coach Jamie Siddons said he will seek an extension to his contract once his present term expires next year.
Siddons, who completed his three years as head coach of Tigers on Sunday, arrived here in November 2007 and will be in charge until April next year when his home side Australia will visit Bangladesh.
If I don’t have an extension before the World Cup then I will already be gone. I think probably I will be seeking an extension before that and not wait until after the World Cup,’ Siddons told New Age in an interview on Monday.
Siddons termed his experience over the past three years ‘incredible’ and predicted that within another three to four years his charges will reach their peak.
‘I think it’s been an unbelievable journey. I started with quite a poor product and in three years’ time we got quite a good product. There are more class players in our team now which we didn’t had earlier and I am happy with the progress,’ he said.
Siddons also praised the players, especially the batsmen, for taking lesson from him and successfully implementing them on the field that has enabled them to win some matches recently against a side ranked far higher than them.
Bangladesh’s batting has improved remarkably during his time and with the emergence of Tamim Iqbal and Sakib al Hasan they have some solidity now both in their top and middle-order.
Tamim was erratic in his shot selection at the start of his career which Siddons successfully managed to get rid of while he also improved the backlift of Sakib making him the batsman he is now.
‘I think having someone to understand what it takes to play successfully at the international level is one of my success,’ he said. ‘I know what a batsman needs to do and I have been training them to do that. I think someone must have the knowledge to implement the training session’s skills in game.
‘We have been working on skills to play short pitch bowling, spin bowling, power hitting and it all started to come together though we still have a long way to go,’ he said.
One of the great mysteries, however, remained Mohammad Ashraful, who has yet to get his consistency and has already lost his place in the squad. Dav Whatmore, the predecessor of Siddons, regretted at the end of his tenure for not being able to bring the best out of him and the story is no different now.
Asked what went wrong with Ashraful, Siddons said the batsman is the best person to answer that.
‘Ash is one of those players who goes really well and then has bad patches not unlike a lot of other players. He had a bad run lately and we need to get him into form. I think it’s little bit technical, little bit mental with Ash,’ he said.
Bangladesh, however, have not been not as successful in Tests as like the one-dayers in the last few years, but Siddons said that should not be counted as a failure. The Tigers won the two Test matches against an under-strength West Indian team, though they had some close matches against South Africa, Sri Lanka and New Zealand.
‘We played really some good Test matches but it’s hard to win over five days against any great cricket team and we haven’t played
any weak teams. We have beaten West Indies, played well against England and New Zealand and we are on the verge of a breakthrough,’ he said.
‘At the moment we are concentrating on one-day cricket. We have played great Test match cricket during the last twelve months, though we have not won but we are on the line,’ he said.
‘Right now we got a great working environment with the assistant coaches finally arriving and we have a really good structure around the players to work with their bowling batting and fielding,’ he said. ‘All credit goes to the Board as at the moment everything is in place now and that is what matters.
‘I think the spin bowlers’ length has improved a lot, in the past we bowled really a way too full. Now we are bowling in a way which is a very difficult length for the batsmen and I hope that continues. Sakib is a super talent and he can get into any side as a bowler,’ said Siddons
‘International cricket is really tough and our players are learning to cope with that, within my three years we have won 4-0 against an ICC full member team and three years down the track we will be competing with top teams on a regular basis,’ he said.

===================

http://www.newagebd.com/2010/nov/02/spt.html
Old November 1, 2010, 04:13 PM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Sakib Al-hassan
Wink Siddons to ask for long term contract before WC !

It was coming! That's what I apprehended! The way our PM and her chamchas showed their over enthusiasm after we beat NZ, it was inevitable for a pro to make the most out of it. Lack of professionalism made it possible!

Siddons thinks beyond WC

After a chequered three years with the Bangladesh national cricket team Australian coach Jamie Siddons said he will seek an extension to his contract once his present term expires next year.
Siddons, who completed his three years as head coach of Tigers on Sunday, arrived here in November 2007 and will be in charge until April next year when his home side Australia will visit Bangladesh.
‘If I don’t have an extension before the World Cup then I will already be gone. I think probably I will be seeking an extension before that and not wait until after the World Cup,’ Siddons told New Age in an interview on Monday.
Siddons termed his experience over the past three years ‘incredible’ and predicted that within another three to four years his charges will reach their peak.
‘I think it’s been an unbelievable journey. I started with quite a poor product and in three years’ time we got quite a good product. There are more class players in our team now which we didn’t had earlier and I am happy with the progress,’ he said.
Siddons also praised the players, especially the batsmen, for taking lesson from him and successfully implementing them on the field that has enabled them to win some matches recently against a side ranked far higher than them.
Bangladesh’s batting has improved remarkably during his time and with the emergence of Tamim Iqbal and Sakib al Hasan they have some solidity now both in their top and middle-order.
Tamim was erratic in his shot selection at the start of his career which Siddons successfully managed to get rid of while he also improved the backlift of Sakib making him the batsman he is now.
‘I think having someone to understand what it takes to play successfully at the international level is one of my success,’ he said. ‘I know what a batsman needs to do and I have been training them to do that. I think someone must have the knowledge to implement the training session’s skills in game.
‘We have been working on skills to play short pitch bowling, spin bowling, power hitting and it all started to come together though we still have a long way to go,’ he said.
One of the great mysteries, however, remained Mohammad Ashraful, who has yet to get his consistency and has already lost his place in the squad. Dav Whatmore, the predecessor of Siddons, regretted at the end of his tenure for not being able to bring the best out of him and the story is no different now.
Asked what went wrong with Ashraful, Siddons said the batsman is the best person to answer that.
‘Ash is one of those players who goes really well and then has bad patches not unlike a lot of other players. He had a bad run lately and we need to get him into form. I think it’s little bit technical, little bit mental with Ash,’ he said.
Bangladesh, however, have not been not as successful in Tests as like the one-dayers in the last few years, but Siddons said that should not be counted as a failure. The Tigers won the two Test matches against an under-strength West Indian team, though they had some close matches against South Africa, Sri Lanka and New Zealand.
‘We played really some good Test matches but it’s hard to win over five days against any great cricket team and we haven’t played
any weak teams. We have beaten West Indies, played well against England and New Zealand and we are on the verge of a breakthrough,’ he said.
‘At the moment we are concentrating on one-day cricket. We have played great Test match cricket during the last twelve months, though we have not won but we are on the line,’ he said.
‘Right now we got a great working environment with the assistant coaches finally arriving and we have a really good structure around the players to work with their bowling batting and fielding,’ he said. ‘All credit goes to the Board as at the moment everything is in place now and that is what matters.
‘I think the spin bowlers’ length has improved a lot, in the past we bowled really a way too full. Now we are bowling in a way which is a very difficult length for the batsmen and I hope that continues. Sakib is a super talent and he can get into any side as a bowler,’ said Siddons
‘International cricket is really tough and our players are learning to cope with that, within my three years we have won 4-0 against an ICC full member team and three years down the track we will be competing with top teams on a regular basis,’ he said.
fficeffice" />=========================

Old November 1, 2010, 04:19 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
It was coming! That's what I apprehended! The way our PM and her chamchas showed after we beat NZ, it was inevitable for a pro to make the most out of it. Lack of professionalism made it possible!
What are you complaining about? This is the best performance BD had in its cricket history. They may have gone a little over-board with all the money thrown at them, but what do you expect a professional coach to do at the end of his contract, extend the contract without a raise? Even if we didn't do so well and for some reason BCB wanted to extend his contract it would still be a raise. Why would anyone in their right mind agree to a new multi-year contract without a raise?
Old November 1, 2010, 04:21 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Nirala

bad idea. JS is trying to play smart now. He is probably afraid what if we have a horrible WC his price will go down. I hope BCB wont fall for it. Weather we renew his contract or not it should depend on the performance in the world cup nothing else

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (iPhone)
Old November 1, 2010, 04:44 PM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

So let me get this straight. He will leave right now, if we don't renew his contract before the WC? hmmm...
Old November 1, 2010, 04:55 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_2007
[ ‘If I don’t have an extension before the World Cup then I will already be gone. I think probably I will be seeking an extension before that and not wait until after the World Cup,’
Slick man! Trying to ensure that he stays in game before the WC. He knows that we might not make it to the next round in WC and might get kicked out by the lights of Ireland or NL so just making sure he secures his future before he gets the cut! Let's see what BCB does now...
Old November 1, 2010, 04:55 PM
BC Editorial Team

No, he said that if he goes into the WC without a renewal then BCB better not expect him to resign afterward. Once contract expires, he's gone. Unless BCB reups.
Old November 1, 2010, 05:09 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

He spoke about winning a 4-0 against full icc team but did not talk about humiliation before that. How he lost to an associate nation... and t/20 wc??? come back to me after wc... if we have a solid enough performance then good otherwise get the heck outta here.
Old November 1, 2010, 05:20 PM
Banned

What's going on? Contract should be renewed after the WC. That's how all the coaches deal with.
Old November 1, 2010, 05:31 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Favorite Player: bhujee kom

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazabQ
No, he said that if he goes into the WC without a renewal then BCB better not expect him to resign afterward. Once contract expires, he's gone. Unless BCB reups.
Thats more like what I think. If BCB does not extend his contract after WC2011 then there is no point keeping him.

I say its a good news at least he wants to stay.
Old November 1, 2010, 05:45 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: The big hearted ones

Quote:
Originally Posted by godzilla
Slick man! Trying to ensure that he stays in game before the WC. He knows that we might not make it to the next round in WC and might get kicked out by the lights of Ireland or NL so just making sure he secures his future before he gets the cut! Let's see what BCB does now...
On the other hand, if the team does well, then he will jack up his price....it's a double edge sword.

But I say it won't be a bad thing if Siddons gets to work with BD team for another stint. He definitely made the team a better performer and almost there in bringing the best out of their limited abilities. Getting a new coach, even if he's better and honsetly I don't see too many out there, could back fire.
Old November 1, 2010, 05:52 PM
Cricket Sage

Do we resign Taklu asap or let him go? Thats a double edge sword where we can be bitten either way.

We may end up over paying him... or let him go and getting worse coach and taking the team few years backward.

We waited too long to re-sign McInnes, and by the time we approached him, he is gone.

Now if BCB thinks that Taklu has done a decent job and kind of happy with his performance and wants to keep him, then BCB have to react now, they don't have any other choice.

On the other hand, if BCB is not happy with Taklu's performance and wouldn't mind to go different direction after World Cup, then they can play poker game with him with the understanding that its not going to hurt us if he leaves. In that case should have solid plan B and Plan C. The last thing we want is After Taklu leaves BCB take a year or so to replace another head coach.

My fear is they will let Taklu go without a plan what they are going to do without him and then there will be panic attack and they will scramble for new coach without any thoughtful process how to replace him.

BD head coaching job is not necessarily the most desirable job fwithin test playing national team (money wise - status wise). Only way we will get a decent coach is taking risk on young promising coaches who will use it as stepping stone for glory and better job. Very few young promising coaches will end up being a good coach in the highest level. And we need to trust that BCB will do a decent job fincing a next gem in the next head coach.

For me, yes Siddon may have done better job... but then I have less trust in BCB executives that they will find a better coach for us replacing Siddon. Most likely we may end up getting a much worse coach than Siddon. That’s my main fear when people ask for a new coach.
Old November 1, 2010, 06:01 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by betaar
On the other hand, if the team does well, then he will jack up his price....it's a double edge sword.

But I say it won't be a bad thing if Siddons gets to work with BD team for another stint. He definitely made the team a better performer and almost there in bringing the best out of their limited abilities. Getting a new coach, even if he's better and honsetly I don't see too many out there, could back fire.
Not only that, there is a huge difference between coaching a team like india/RSA/Srilanka and coaching a team like BD. With the big teams the coaches play more of a "overseeing and analytics role", what are you going to teach players like Kallis, Shewag, Tendulker, Dravid?

With BD you need someone who can guide them, and hand-holding in every aspect of the game. It doesn't help the cause that until 2 months ago we didn't have any decent support coach, sometihng almost all good teams have.

I think this is why Whatmore was successful with Srilanka but horrible (if you exclude the WC performance) overall with BD. If we were able to get someone like Gary Kirsten or other high profile coach I doubt they will have any immediate effect on the team (if at all).

Siddons already worked with this team and most players are content with his coaching. Replacing him with another coach will set us one year back as the new coach and players gets accustomed to each other.

Regardless of the outcome of the WC I think Siddons should be retained along with the supporting coaches for the long haul.

Don't screw around with something thats working.

Last edited by Blah; November 1, 2010 at 06:10 PM..
Old November 1, 2010, 06:07 PM
Test Cricketer

to be honest i dont really see any malice here........
his contract expires after the world cup and he wants a new one before that...........if not offered now, he might leave after the world cup when his contract is over (even if offered a new one then)...........anyways contract renewal talks starts before the end of a contract......it doesnt start at the end of it
Old November 1, 2010, 06:11 PM
Administrator

I wish I could be more excited about it like how I was about McInnes. But - I will go with "if it ain't broke don't fix it". We are doing alright with taklu jr at the helm - mot a resounding endorsement but one nevertheless. And if we don't pony up, we can end up with much worse. Much, much worse.

So let's sign on the dotted line. My only fear? The short sighted idiots at BCB will be more interested in the tea and samosa at the various councilors meeting that they will have forgotten the little thing re-upping a coach's contract and this one too will have slipped through our fingers. Remember McInnes.

Remember - professionals do not wait around till the end of the contract to look for their next gig.

Last edited by Zunaid; November 1, 2010 at 06:17 PM..
Old November 1, 2010, 06:11 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib

For BD cricket future bcb must give a LT contract to Siddons , Pont , Julien

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (iPhone)
Old November 1, 2010, 06:14 PM
Cricket Legend

He's doing what he's supposed to do as a professional. Now it's everyone else's turn to do what everyone else should do.
Old November 1, 2010, 06:26 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Shakib, Mashrafe

I do agree to extend Siddons contract only if Ponty n fountain also stay !!
Old November 1, 2010, 06:34 PM
Cricket Legend

So what's the problem here? He needs an assurance that he'll still be Bangladesh coach after the World Cup otherwise he will start looking for another assignment. This is what all professionals do. Do you expect him to stay jobless?
Old November 1, 2010, 07:12 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Agreed. But kick him in the butt if he talks about individual performance over victories. Loitta should put his power bestowed upon him by the Government of the People's Republic of Bangladesh and Her Highness to yell some sense into him if he starts talking like a loser again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunaid
I wish I could be more excited about it like how I was about McInnes. But - I will go with "if it ain't broke don't fix it". We are doing alright with taklu jr at the helm - mot a resounding endorsement but one nevertheless. And if we don't pony up, we can end up with much worse. Much, much worse.

So let's sign on the dotted line. My only fear? The short sighted idiots at BCB will be more interested in the tea and samosa at the various councilors meeting that they will have forgotten the little thing re-upping a coach's contract and this one too will have slipped through our fingers. Remember McInnes.

Remember - professionals do not wait around till the end of the contract to look for their next gig.
Old November 1, 2010, 07:44 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equinox
So what's the problem here? He needs an assurance that he'll still be Bangladesh coach after the World Cup otherwise he will start looking for another assignment. This is what all professionals do. Do you expect him to stay jobless?

Siddons' stock is very high at the moment, the highest it's been during his tenure. Foreign media often attribute Bangladesh's success down to him, whilst they sympathise with him when Bangladesh have poor results. Remember all those interviews with Siddons when we were playing England and touring New Zealand, they were very supportive of him.
So Siddons has picked the perfect time for himself to maximise his value in negotiating a new contract. He will be saying that he has many options if he decided to leave, and I believe he has, I wouldn't be surprised if New Zealand were sounding him out in case they decided to get a new coach.
Old November 1, 2010, 08:25 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Rafiq and Tendulkar

His contract negotiation at this time puts BCB is in a difficult position. The coaching setup we have now, like Pond, Julian and others, BCB should not show too much interest in him.
Old November 1, 2010, 08:33 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FagunerAgun
His contract negotiation at this time puts BCB is in a difficult position. The coaching setup we have now, like Pond, Julian and others, BCB should not show too much interest in him.
Explain.
Old November 1, 2010, 08:48 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

BCB should negotiate the contract with a proper get out clause. Give him a good contract with a specific result oriented (reasonable) target in front. He fails to match the target, gets sack and doesn't get the compensation. He matches the target, give him a good bonus and re-negotiate longer term contract.
Old November 1, 2010, 09:01 PM

Favorite Player: Shakib, Brian Lara

if cricketers can get so much money, cars and houses for winning one series then can BCB/govt really claim they don't have the extra bucks for the coach?... Siddons is a good coach...and more importantly he is a coach that can connect with the players... We are progressing in the right direction...and I sincerely hope we won't screw this up for a few thousand dollars... i give credit to siddons for the fact that our international cricketers are now dominating NCL...