facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old November 10, 2010, 02:03 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Favorite Player: bhujee kom
Default Ganguly arrives in Dhaka

Ganguly timely returns

Bishwajit Roy

Sourav Ganguly took a few moments to recall that historic day when he went out to toss with Naimur Rahman 10 years ago at the Bangabandhu National Stadium. It was November 10, 2000; a memorable day for the country's cricket as Bangladesh began life as a Test-playing nation on that particular day.
"I must confess I can't remember why this day is significant," responded Ganguly when asked whether he could remember the day's importance.
The former India captain, who arrived yesterday to grace the ICC Cricket World Cup 2011 countdown function in Dhaka, dealt with the googly while speaking with the reporters at the Hazrat Shahjalal International Airport.
Once given a hint, he quickly recalled: "Yes, I can remember everything now. It was Bangladesh's inaugural Test match and they scored 400-plus runs in the first innings," replied Ganguly.
It was also a small piece of history as it was not just Ganguly's first Test as India's captain, but the first time in cricket history when two Bengali-speaking skippers led their sides.
India's most successful Test captain believed Bangladesh have improved a lot in the last 10 years since they have been elevated into the elite club.
"There were some good players in the squad when we played the first Test against them but there are a number of quality players in the team now. The recent performance against New Zealand showed the real sign of improvement," said Ganguly.
"I keenly follow Bangladesh cricket and watched all the matches against New Zealand. The 4-0 scoreline was amazing. I think their performance has significantly improved in the last one year. There are young players like Shakib [Al Hasan] and Tamim [Iqbal] who are showing their characters," he added.
"The good sign is that the players are performing but there are still a lot of areas they must improve on.
"I believe they will become a much better side soon if they continue their improvement. The improvement in the longer-version might not be satisfactory but you can't expect everything overnight," he said.
Ganguly was confident about Bangladesh's success in the upcoming World Cup as he thinks that the slow bowlers have an advantage in home conditions.
"Staging the World Cup and performing in it is a totally different thing. I firmly believe Bangladesh has the quality to play good cricket in the coming World Cup in their own conditions. They already proved against New Zealand that how good they are in their home soil," opined Ganguly, who considered the 2003 World Cup performance as the best in his career.
He also said that Bangladesh were on the right track now under the guidance of Australian coach Jamie Siddons.
"I never got any concrete offer from Bangladesh about a coaching job. I think the team is doing well under Jamie [Siddons], so there is no need to involve more people. But I'm always interested in Bangladesh cricket," said Ganguly.
He however suggested that Bangladesh must go for long-term planning. "World Cup is important but they must think beyond the mega event. The important thing is that they must perform abroad. It's nice to watch Tamim hitting a hundred at Lord's. Some other players also performed in different conditions," he observed.
One of the greatest one-day batsmen of all time, Ganguly emphasises on the longer-version cricket although the Twenty20 format is seemingly taking the centre-stage these days. The latest version of the game could be a big threat for a country like Bangladesh who are yet to get a firm grip of the longer-version.
"Twenty20 is financially lucrative and there is also huge public interest in it because of the short time it takes [to complete the game]. But Test cricket is the real deal.
"One can be successful in any format if he is good in Test cricket. So, young cricketers must concentrate on that format," advised Ganguly, informing that he has a plan to play in the Indian Premier League for two more years.
Besides cricket there was an obvious question about his popular TV show "Dadagiri".
"I'm really enjoying this show," said a smiling Ganguly.

http://www.thedailystar.net/newDesig...php?nid=162172
Old November 10, 2010, 02:17 PM
BC Staff
BC Bangladesh

Favorite Player: Gilly

i didn't liked indian cric team but i loved dada..welcome to bangladesh!!...but i guess he is gone to india by now!
Old November 10, 2010, 02:22 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: A few

Mash looked uneasy beside him. Must be the bad experience with KKR.
Old November 10, 2010, 02:37 PM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

^^ Where is the picture?
Old November 10, 2010, 02:44 PM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

Quote:
He however suggested that Bangladesh must go for long-term planning. "World Cup is important but they must think beyond the mega event. The important thing is that they must perform abroad. It's nice to watch Tamim hitting a hundred at Lord's. Some other players also performed in different conditions," he observed.
SIGN THESE COACHES FOR LONG TERM!! Even someone from the outside knows this. But good to know he follows our cricket. If it was some other big shot player, they wouldn't know about all that, even this recent 4-0.
Old November 10, 2010, 03:00 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Favorite Player: bhujee kom

Quote:
One of the greatest one-day batsmen of all time, Ganguly emphasises on the longer-version cricket although the Twenty20 format is seemingly taking the centre-stage these days. The latest version of the game could be a big threat for a country like Bangladesh who are yet to get a firm grip of the longer-version.
"Twenty20 is financially lucrative and there is also huge public interest in it because of the short time it takes [to complete the game]. But Test cricket is the real deal.
BCB take a note. (We all know that anyway)
Old November 10, 2010, 03:39 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Shakib, Tamim, Mash

ক্ষণগণনার অগোছালো শুরু

আতশবাজির রোশনাইয়ে শুরু হলো বিশ্বকাপের ক্ষণগণনা। এই মাহেন্দ্রক্ষণে বাংলাদেশের শুভ কামনা করলেন সৌরভ গাঙ্গুলি মাহবুব হোসেন নবীন/কাজল হাজরা

সঞ্জয় সাহা পিয়াল
আলোর রোশনাই ছিল। অন্ধকার ফুঁড়ে আতশবাজি ছিল। সৌরভ গাঙ্গুলির মতো সুহৃদও উপস্থিত ছিলেন। রাতজাগা কোটি বাংলাদেশিও চেয়েছিল বিশ্বকাপের ১০০ দিনের ক্ষণগণনার সাক্ষী হতে। তাদের হতাশ হতে হলো অব্যবস্থাপনা আর মঞ্চ উপস্থাপনা দেখে। বাংলাদেশের গর্ব বলেই বাঙালি সৌরভ গাঙ্গুলিকে শুভেচ্ছা দূত করে আনা হয়েছিল। অথচ সেই সৌরভকেই কি-না ইংরেজিতে প্রশ্ন শুনতে হলো। লজ্জা পেলেন সৌরভ নিজেও। 'আমি বাংলাতেই বলছি। শুধু বিশ্বকাপ নয়, বাংলাদেশের ক্রিকেটকে
আমার শুভেচ্ছা থাকবে অন্ততকাল পর্যন্ত। এই বাংলাদেশি ছেলেদের কাছেই হেরে গতবার বিশ্বকাপ থেকে ভারত বিদায় নিয়েছিল। এই বাংলাদেশের ক্রিকেটকেই আমি ভালোবাসি। বিশ্বক্রিকেটে এই বাংলাদেশকেই অনেকদূর এগিয়ে যেতে দেখতে চাই।' স্যুটেড বুটেড গাঙ্গুলি যখন বাংলাদেশ অধিনায়কের কাঁধে হাত রেখে দাদার মতো শুভেচ্ছা জানাচ্ছিলেন তখন জিন্সের প্যান্ট ও টি-শার্ট পরিহিত মাশরাফিকে মনে হচ্ছিল চলচ্চিত্রের কমেডিয়ান। শুধু বাংলাদেশ নয় গত রাতের ওই অনুষ্ঠান ইএসপিএনও সম্প্রচার করবে। সেখানে বাংলাদেশ অধিনায়কের ওই পোশাক মোটেই শালীন ছিল না। যা দেখে সংসদ ভবন চত্বরের দর্শক আসন থেকেও কেউ বলে উঠল 'মাশরাফি আপনি আমার জামাটি পরে নিন...।' অল্প পরিসর, গিজগিজ লোক, নিরাপত্তা কর্মীদের বাড়াবাড়ি ও স্বজনপ্রীতি এতটাই ছিল যে সামনের আসন সারিতে জায়গা না পেয়ে জাতীয় দলের ক্রিকেটারদের কি-না বসার সুযোগ মিলেছে তৃতীয় সারিতে। এই যদি হয় বিশ্বকাপের সূচনাপর্ব তাহলে বিশ্বকাপ শুরু হলে যে কী হবে তা ভেবে শঙ্কিত ক্রিকেটপ্রেমীরা। বিশ্বকাপের মতো এত বড় একটা আসরে যেখানে নিজেদের সংস্কৃতি তুলে ধরতে হয়, সেখানে কি-না ক্ষমতার বাড়াবাড়ি। এদিন নিরাপত্তা কর্মীদের নিজেদের মধ্যেই পরিচয় না জেনে গণ্ডগোল বেধে যায়। সামনের সারিতে বড় কর্তার স্ত্রী-পরিজনকে বসানোর জন্য ক্রিকেটারদের জায়গা ছেড়ে দিতে হয়, সেখানে নিজেদের শুধরে না নিলে বিশ্বকাপটা মোটেই সুখকর হবে না।
সবাই কত না আগ্রহ নিয়ে মধ্যরাতে জেগে ছিলেন বিশ্বকাপ ক্রিকেটের ক্ষণগণনা শুরুর অনুষ্ঠানটি প্রত্যক্ষ করার জন্য। টেলিভিশনের পর্দায় সরাসরি অনুষ্ঠানটি যারা দেখেছেন তাদের বেশিরভাগই শুধু হতাশই নন, ক্ষুব্ধও। তাদের মন্তব্য, এ ধরনের একটি অপরিকল্পিত, অগোছালো ও অপরিচ্ছন্ন অনুষ্ঠান দেখানোর জন্য তাদের নিদ্রাহরণের কোনো অধিকারই নেই বাংলাদেশ ক্রিকেট বোর্ডের। অনুষ্ঠান দেখতে দেখতে অনেকে লজ্জায় অধোবদন হয়েছেন। অনুষ্ঠানের উপস্থাপিকার খুব বাজে উচ্চারণের ইংরেজি, বাংলাদেশ দলের অধিনায়ক মাশরাফির অশোভন রুচিহীন পোশাক পুরো অনুষ্ঠানকে অর্থহীন করে তুলেছিল। এর বিপরীত চিত্র মূর্ত করেছেন সৌরভ গাঙ্গুলি। সম্ভবত উপস্থাপিকার পীড়াদায়ক ইংরেজির কথা ভেবে নিজে বাংলায় অতি সংক্ষিপ্ত বক্তব্য বললেন তিনি। মাশরাফি যে কী বললেন আল্লাহ মালুম। বাংলাদেশে খেলা হচ্ছে, দর্শক প্রাণ উজাড় করে সমর্থন দেবে। মাশরাফি বললেন, আশা করি দর্শকরা মাঠে যাবেন ও সমর্থন দেবেন। এ ধরনের অনুষ্ঠানে বক্তব্য রাখার জন্য তার বিন্দুমাত্র যে প্রস্তুতি ছিল না তা সহজেই অনুমেয়। ক্রীড়ামোদি মহল বলেছে, শুরুর ভুল থেকে শিক্ষা নিতে হবে আয়োজকদের। প্রস্তুতির যাবতীয় দুর্বলতা মোচনের জন্য তাদের আরও সতর্ক থাকতে হবে।
বিশ্বকাপ, যা এতদিন ছিল কেবল অন্যের; এবার তা নিজের করে নেওয়ার পালা বাংলাদেশের। ঘরের মাঠের প্রথম বিশ্বকাপ নিয়ে রীতিমতো গর্বিত বাংলাদেশ। তবে এত বড় মঞ্চ প্রস্তুত করতে গিয়ে একটা দায়িত্বও এসে যাচ্ছে। ভাষা আন্দোলন থেকে শুরু করে মুক্তিযুদ্ধ, সংগ্রামের বহু উদাহরণ দেখিয়েছে দক্ষিণ এশিয়ার এই 'ব-দ্বীপ'টি। এবারে বিশ্বের কাছে নতুন করে সংস্কৃতি, কৃষ্টি আর আতিথেয়তা দেখানোর সুযোগ এসেছে। 'বিশ্বকাপ বারবার আসে না। বিশ্ব দরবারে বাংলাদেশকে নতুন করে চিনিয়ে দেওয়ার একটা সুযোগ এসেছে আমাদের কাছে। শুধু মাঠের ক্রিকেটার নয়, এটি ১৭ কোটি বাংলাদেশির বিশ্বকাপ।' বাংলাদেশ ক্রিকেট বোর্ডের প্রেসিডেন্ট আ হ ম মোস্তফা কামালের এই কথায় সব বাংলাদেশিকেই আমন্ত্রণ জানানো হয়েছে বিশ্বকাপে শামিল হতে।
এরই মধ্যে বিশ্বকাপের আগমনী হাওয়া বইতে শুরু করেছে দেশে। সরকার প্রায় ৩০০ কোটি টাকা বরাদ্দ রেখেছে এই বিশ্ব আসরকে সুন্দরভাবে উপস্থাপন করার জন্য। বিসিবিও তাদের নিজস্ব ফান্ড থেকে আরও কয়েকশ' কোটি টাকা খরচ করছে। শুধু উদ্বোধনী অনুষ্ঠানের জন্য প্রধানমন্ত্রী শেখ হাসিনা ১১ কোটি টাকা বরাদ্দ দিয়েছেন। ভারতীয় কোম্পানি হুইজক্রাপ্ট কথা দিয়েছে বাংলাদেশের সংস্কৃতি আর ঐতিহ্যকে গুরুত্ব দিয়েই উদ্বোধনী অনুষ্ঠান করা হবে। ঢাকায় ১২টি আর চট্টগ্রামে তিনটি বিশ্বকাপ মাসকট স্থাপন করা হয়েছে। বিশ্বকাপকে শুধু রাজধানী ঢাকা কিংবা বন্দরনগরী চট্টগ্রামে আটকে রাখা নয়, মফস্বল আর গ্রামের ঘরগুলোতেও বিশ্বকাপের জ্বর তুলে দিতে চায় বিসিবি। এজন্য আজ থেকে দেশের বিভিন্ন জেলায় রোড শো, কনসার্টের আয়োজন করা হয়েছে। জেলা প্রশাসনের তত্ত্বাবধানে এসব প্রচারণা চালাবে বিশ্বকাপের স্থানীয় আয়োজক কমিটি।

www.shamokal.com
Old November 10, 2010, 03:53 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

Thats a very nicely written article.
I concur with the writer.
It was really disorganised.
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old November 10, 2010, 04:16 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: iceman

http://www.prothom-alo.com/detail/da...11/news/108329
this is why i love dada so much
Old November 10, 2010, 05:53 PM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabz
Thats a very nicely written article.
I concur with the writer.
It was really disorganised.
huh?
Old November 10, 2010, 05:59 PM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

LOL at that Shomkal Article. Who asked question in English? I guess it was rightly so because ESPN was viewing this so others from around the world had to understand. But Mashafe's clothing criticizem was rightly so. Stupid ***. And why Mash. Shakib is our captain. I dont want Mashrafe to captain the side. Let him lead the team 1st

anyone got video clips?
Old November 10, 2010, 06:31 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Shakib, Mashrafe

Quote:
নিজেই বললেন, ‘পাকা কোনো আলোচনা হয়নি। বাংলাদেশ দল ভালো করছে। এই দলের সঙ্গী হওয়াটা অবশ্যই উপভোগ্য। আর আমি সব সময়ই বাংলাদেশের ক্রিকেটের ব্যাপারে আগ্রহী।’
কতটা আগ্রহী সেটা বোঝা গেছে সৌরভ আসার আগেই এক বিসিবি কর্মকর্তা বলছিলেন, ‘ও কিন্তু এই অনুষ্ঠানে আসতে একটা টাকাও নেয়নি।’ সৌরভের সামনে প্রসঙ্গটা তুলতেই লজ্জা পেয়ে বললেন, ‘বাংলাদেশের সঙ্গে কি আমার টাকা-পয়সার সম্পর্ক?’
অবশ্যই না। সম্পর্কটার মধ্যে একটা আত্মার টান তো আছেই।

souce: PA
নাহ !! দাদা 'র প্রতি সম্মান টা আরো বেড়ে গেল !!!!
Old November 10, 2010, 10:30 PM
BC Staff
BC Bangladesh

Favorite Player: Gilly

^^amaro
Old November 10, 2010, 10:44 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Rafiq and Tendulkar

We heard this type of comments/lectures last ten years. I think we need the end of it. But the media needs him to sell their publishings more.

We need more work with our coaches/settings that we have now than advice,

SG is from that country who is not still interested in world's best allrounder and Tamim for IPL, may be because they are Bangladeshi.

SG never talked about it with his sense of fairness or with his love for the country of his ancestors, neither with the IPL nor with the Indian media, now we know who he represents for!

Also we know how our players were treated in IPL. His silence does not tell me he is an advocator of BD cricket.

Now his comments to me are like shedding crocodile tears.

May be, that is why Mash was not feeling comfortable beside him.

But, yes, thanks for the advice even though we have to manage our own home.

Last edited by FagunerAgun; November 10, 2010 at 11:33 PM..
Old November 10, 2010, 10:50 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Ashraful,mashrafe,shakib

Respect Ganguly, respect.
Also, he seemed quite interested to become a coach/advisor. I think he would make a tremendous head coach, he is a really good leader who can lift everyone's game. Also if he comes to coach us, we will instantly have the following/support of the West Bengal
Old November 10, 2010, 10:56 PM
Banned

Should SG become our head coach, IMHO, cross-border smuggling will go up.
Old November 10, 2010, 11:34 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Shak-Ash-Tam

Get ready for lots more embarassments during the cup. Just like to see BD playing well and don't expect civility from these uncivilized morons.
I'm with Shahbag for fair punishment of all war criminals. Im with Shahbag to stand for fair trials of all Corruption, all murders and social injustices occurred over last 40 years. I'm for a secular, corruption free & Just society in Bangladesh. Spirit of '71
Old November 10, 2010, 11:39 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FagunerAgun

SG is from that country who is not still interested in world's best allrounder and Tamim for IPL, may be because they are Bangladeshi.

Also we know how our players were treated in IPL. His silence does not tell me he is an advocator of BD cricket.

May be, that is why Mash was not feeling comfortable beside him.
Ridiculousness at its peak.
Tamim & Shakib was not selected because they didn't hog the limelight much then. I bet they will be selected this year. And it has got nothing to do with ganguly or Indians, stop generalizing like that. Team owners are the bosses and their word is all that counts.

And how BD players are treated in IPL? Anything except your own conspiracy theories and speculations? Last time they played one was Mashrafe, and paid the price for it. There are only 4 slots for Intl players, and there are none too good to play as one of them except Shakib. I hope they realize that and play him this year.
Old November 10, 2010, 11:59 PM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

Seriously FA? You are embarrassing all of us. The year Mashrafe played, Ganguly wasn't the captain of KKR, he couldn't have done anything. Only reason Mashrafe got picked is because SRK wanted to gain fanbase. Whole Bangladesh would have followed KKR if Mash was playing. And he would have trippled the price he payed to buy Mash. But SRK's plan was ruined when IPL moved to SA. And as for that, Mash was valueless, and they wouldn't want to pay that much money for a valueless guy. The less he played, less they had to pay him. Mash was hardly picked for his "talent".The guy who can't even handle for 5 overs of ODI death over.

And "SG is from that country who is not still interested in world's best allrounder and Tamim". It's a league bro, hardly has anything to do with "that country" as whole. And let just say, it's India's fault (even thought IDK what fault we are talking about) but how is that SG's problem.

Seriously just stop
Old November 11, 2010, 12:01 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

^^More like it! Well said.
Old November 11, 2010, 12:03 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim,Ash,Mash,Shakib

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakibrulz
Tamim & Shakib was not selected because they didn't hog the limelight much then. I bet they will be selected this year. And it has got nothing to do with ganguly or Indians, stop generalizing like that. Team owners are the bosses and their word is all that counts.

And how BD players are treated in IPL? Anything except your own conspiracy theories and speculations? Last time they played one was Mashrafe, and paid the price for it. There are only 4 slots for Intl players, and there are none too good to play as one of them except Shakib. I hope they realize that and play him this year.
agreed except those line... They misused mash nd ash.. You cant judje a player by playing a single match... And the way buchanon bhave with mash during that ipl season thats unacceptable.. Do u think jp duminiy was (is) a t20 material
that season (still) ?? His strike rate was just above 100 during that whole season! Bt they didnt ash give a single chance bfore the last valueless match..
Old November 11, 2010, 12:04 AM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

And only reason Mash was so "uncomfortable" next to SG, because Mash was nervous in front of all that people and as that bangla newspaper said "Ganguly is so nicely dressed up, next to him Mahrafe looks like a comedian"

Don't blame Ganguly for Mash's low self confident. Ganguly helped Mash during his KKR lonely days
Old November 11, 2010, 12:54 AM
Club Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib, Tamim

I like dada's dadagiri, specially, googly round ! I enjoyed his epic '173 runs' innings scored against Srilanka in d 'XX WC (Probably '03) which was solid entertainment.. Anyways, he's always been a genuine supporter of BD for sure.

Posted via BC Mobile Edition
Old November 11, 2010, 01:04 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakibrulz

What? Shakib became one of the world's 10 best all rounders last year, and last IPL ended in june/July this year, 2010. Tell me how Shakib was not in the lime light?

I talked about SG's advocacy, not participating in the decision making/influencing.

IPL never treated BD players well, Ash was not allowed to play. Mash just played one game, which dd not give enough exposure in this type of mental game, Buchanon misbehaved Ash.
Old November 11, 2010, 01:10 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilscoop
Seriously FA? You are embarrassing all of us. The year Mashrafe played, Ganguly wasn't the captain of KKR, he couldn't have done anything. Only reason Mashrafe got picked is because SRK wanted to gain fanbase. Whole Bangladesh would have followed KKR if Mash was playing. And he would have trippled the price he payed to buy Mash. But SRK's plan was ruined when IPL moved to SA. And as for that, Mash was valueless, and they wouldn't want to pay that much money for a valueless guy. The less he played, less they had to pay him. Mash was hardly picked for his "talent".The guy who can't even handle for 5 overs of ODI death over.

And "SG is from that country who is not still interested in world's best allrounder and Tamim". It's a league bro, hardly has anything to do with "that country" as whole. And let just say, it's India's fault (even thought IDK what fault we are talking about) but how is that SG's problem.

Seriously just stop
Getting embarrsed is your problem, but I am entitled to give my opinions here. I am talking about SG's advocay for BD cricket.

How can you call Mash a valueless guy, when he was allowed to play only one game? And that valueless guy is our captain. Very good, very nice.

If you do not live with others comment, that is your business.