facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old March 13, 2015, 10:09 PM

Favorite Player: Shakib, Nasir, Sir Don
Default Have we ACTUALLY turned a corner?

কথায় আছে, "ঘর পোড়া গরু সিঁদুরে মেঘ দেখলে ভয় পায়। We have had many disappointments in the past, when we thought that the team turned a corner. The horrors of early 2014 still hurts! Thus, we can be excused if we still are asking whether this team is legit.

IMHO, it is legit. I can see one real deadweight in the current team. (While we all ride Tamim hard, I feel that he will come through in crunch-time.) The biggest difference has been Mash's captaincy and the body language of the team. This team does not like to lose and is not afraid of any team. I was happy to see how they handled the baddest opening attack in this WC and posted a defendable total.

On a related note, every other team that got test status (except SL) tool 20+ years to become a competitive side. I don't remember everyone clamoring up for their removal. But, Bangladesh was not so lucky. "Teams play more match these days. Bangladesh should have taken only 5 years!"

Well, will a chile grow up twice as fast if you feel him/her 6 meals a day? Somethings cannot be accelerated. I thank the personalities who always supported us. That includes one of my favorite players, Gavaskar. I wonder what Boycott Mia is muttering.
Old March 13, 2015, 10:13 PM
Banned

Good to know...........................................:up :
Old March 13, 2015, 10:13 PM
BC Staff
BC Bangladesh

Favorite Player: Mash

batting wise we have turned a corner but i feel we'll really turn a corner when we have two decent seam bowlers in our lineup..Mash will be here for max 2 years.
Old March 13, 2015, 10:19 PM

Favorite Player: Shakib, Nasir, Sir Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_wolf
batting wise we have turned a corner but i feel we'll really turn a corner when we have two decent seam bowlers in our lineup..Mash will be here for max 2 years.
I am hoping this WC is the launching pad for that as well.
Old March 13, 2015, 10:24 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib, Amla

Yes we have - we're already pretty darn good in our conditions. In 2014 even when we went through a rough stretch I felt the signs of improvement were there. In the match where our batting got destroyed by Indian bowlers we're able to bundle them out for 100 or so. In the last match we had their back against the wall at 119/9 before rain bailed them out. It happened in several matches against SL and others. We showed that we had developed a habit of pushing oppositions to the brink although we just couldn't get over the hump. Against Zim we showed what we're capable of and I never thought they're as bad as people made them out to be. But the consistency with which our players have performed in different conditions against different oppositions in the last few weeks, I can't see how it's possible without having turned the corner.
Old March 13, 2015, 10:41 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib, Kohli

Middle order performance is the difference. They have really come through at the right place at the right time. When you have players performing consistently, it not only improves confidence of those players but also the team confidence/morale. We pretty much had every team on their back this WC, even SL at one point until Shakib got out. Our bowling was a bit weak at the beginning but they are coming through as well. As a whole, we are doing pretty well and that is why we are in the QF. Our only problem is the opening and if they click in the QF, we should be in a very good position. I'm hopeful for the team and let's see how they do
Old March 13, 2015, 11:50 PM
BC Editorial Team

Let's not get to ahead of ourselves and enjoy the nice moments. The team and the fans always get smacked when we start thinking too high-falutin
Old March 14, 2015, 12:32 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Mash, Mushy, Tamim, Abul

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazabQ
Let's not get to ahead of ourselves and enjoy the nice moments. The team and the fans always get smacked when we start thinking too high-falutin

I'd like to 2nd that. If I can.

and also say...

Nothing is archived, this is just the beginning, lots of more to come. Should adopt the mentality of not getting easily chuffed happy.

WE GO AGAIN...Keep going. Keep working hard on the game. Should be the mentality.
Old March 14, 2015, 12:41 AM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

What corner? We've going round and around for so long we can't even find the corner to turn it. I have seen these moments and glimpse of hope many times before. I won't get my hopes up, know it's gonna be the same sh*t different day. #BePessimist
Old March 14, 2015, 12:58 AM
Administrator

I'm kinda with Dilscoop. I'm a pessimistic optimist. I keep thinking we've turned a corner but we tend to end up turning into a cul de sac.

Heck, I thought we had turned the corner over a decade ago!

Each time we have a great outing, I keep thinking this is it. Keep getting disappointed.

This time, I will just take the current run on face value. Live for the moment. Enjoy the wins when they come but won't make the mistake of predicting the future.
Old March 14, 2015, 01:01 AM
Cricket Legend

Thought the same in 07 and then in 2012
Old March 14, 2015, 01:04 AM
BC Staff
BC Bangladesh

Favorite Player: Mash

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoName
Thought the same in 07 and then in 2012
third time lucky?
Old March 14, 2015, 01:06 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuziburo
On a related note, every other team that got test status (except SL) tool 20+ years to become a competitive side. I don't remember everyone clamoring up for their removal. But, Bangladesh was not so lucky. "Teams play more match these days. Bangladesh should have taken only 5 years!"
We're probably the easiest victim of modern-day-broadcast-economy-empire. The whole game has now adopted 'investment and quick return' philosophy... which definitely doesn't suit the traditional time-tested method of sound grass-root level cricket development.
Old March 14, 2015, 01:08 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_wolf
third time lucky?
I refuse to get trolled anymore
Old March 14, 2015, 01:21 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sangakkara, Mike Hussey

There is a huge difference between 2007 and 2012

In 07, a win was at best an upset. We would walk out just to compete against top teams and get thrashed. When thrashed no one would care much

2012, we started competing, and winning matches but we never really had the confidence.

As of now, after a good Zim series and World cup, our mindset is not to just compete, but to win. The players are very much eager to win. The hunger is visible. The hunger you need to beat Afghanistan by 100 runs, to easily chase 320 against Scots, beat England in a high-voltage match and give hot favourites NZ a run for their money. Apart from our openers, everyone has pitched in:

Riad - brilliant
Mushfiq - nothing to say
Shakib - played a good part with the bat in 4 matches, bowled well in patches and was economical
Sabbir - Played some brilliant cameos.
Nasir- Bowled well, fielded brilliantly, and also did the job with the bat with the limited oppurtunity yesterday.
Mashrafe-Captain fantastic. Bowled well
Rubel-Made us happy
Taskin- Raw, good pace. But need to improve bowling at crunch times.
Old March 14, 2015, 01:46 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Imrul "The Don" Kayes

no i think we turned the corner during the asia cup wen we beat india and SL. We just have been inconsistent but from that period we showed we can beat any team in ODIs long before now. This time it seems like its coming together but i still think we will have inconsistent periods after the world cup.
Old March 14, 2015, 02:13 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Hashim Amla

We play South Africa right after the WC?
Old March 14, 2015, 02:14 AM
Cricket Legend

After 2012/13 i thought we turned a corner. Then came 2014.

Unless there are permanent fixes to domestic cricket, academy, coaching personnel we will keep being inconsistent.
Old March 14, 2015, 02:24 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Curtly Ambrose

we turned a corner, considering we were playing in conditions where we always found it tough.

in conditions southee and boult started, in such conditions we normally used to get bowled out within 100-150.

its all about growing the confidence and we now halve a confident group of peoples.

if these group keep their confidence up, we are going turn some more corners soon
Old March 14, 2015, 02:35 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib,Ganguly,Vettori,

I think it's more like a game of snake and ladder. Some times we play exceptionally well and sometimes we play exceptionally poor. But, over all, we have been steadily going upwards since 2006, i.e., the rise of Shakib and his batch of players from U19 to international level. Just take a birds eye view to our openers: Once upon a time, the best opener we had averaged 12.

There will be lean and shameful periods in our future and there will also be moments of bliss. But will the upward trend continue? Well, that seems rather difficult because we don't see as many U19/Academy/A team tours in our fixtures and the national team is pretty much consigned to playing at home only.

However if those at power act and ensure that we have a steadily improving pipeline, I don't see why we can't keep moving forward.
Old March 14, 2015, 02:49 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

BD's strength is like a generally upward graph with lots of spikes and dips with the inconsistency revealed mostly on away tours, probably because of something quite vividly described in the quote below:

Quote:
What makes their performance in this tournament all the more heartening and impressive is their unfamiliarity with Australio-New-Zealiac conditions. Since the last World Cup, Bangladesh have played the grand total of three ODI series outside Asia - two in Zimbabwe, one in West Indies - totaling 11 matches, only six of which have been played in the last three-and-a-half years. They last played international cricket in New Zealand in February 2010, and their only experience in Australia since 2003 was a three-game ODI series in Darwin in 2008 (further evidence of cricket's powers welcoming their less lucrative cousins to their bosoms like a cantankerous ichthyophobe mothering a goldfish).
Link: Four years on, fire in their belly
-Andy Zaltzman

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.
Old March 14, 2015, 07:15 AM
Cricket Sage

We need to win the QF game to prove a point. Even if we lose to India we achieved more then what was expected of us. But people will say they only had to win one big game to get to QF. We need to win the game against India to truly show that we have turned a corner and this is a new beginning.
Old March 14, 2015, 07:35 AM
First Class Cricketer

We're playing at a level up to where "top 8" should now be called "top 9." If you consider our, England's, WI's and Pakistan's current forms, I think we are at the same level as them.

The reasons for this are: a new coach, a new captain, an actual WC batsman now in Mushy (who's improved a lot in the past couple of years), Mahmudullah batting higher up the order (which should've happened a while ago) and doing well there, the addition of the talented Soumya, and the addition of Taskin (who's only decent now but is an improvement over Al-Amin and Shafiul) in the pace attack. Also, with Nasir woefully out of form then, we didn't have a good finisher in 2014 prior to the Zimbabwe series. Sabbir has filled that gap. That's a lot of positive changes.

And with 160m cricket fans and the amount of passion we have, things can only continue to improve of course. When the next batch of young, good players enters the team, we'll be a legit good team.
Old March 14, 2015, 08:23 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

This team has definitely turned a corner from 2007 standards. We expected this to happen after 2007.

So in the the middle, we had to turn a whole page of inept & nonsense between 07-14, it's better to erase this period from our memory. We lost these 7 years due to a butthead JS in 07 and we never recovered after that. JS costed us 8 years.
Old March 14, 2015, 08:47 AM
Cricket Legend

after Asia cup, I thought we turned the corner, now I am not sure. Why? 2 position vacant in top 3 in Asia cup we have 1; Middle order if Mullah is going through a golden phase or start of a career - I do not know; Sakib - Mush still have brain fart in 20% of game; No finisher Sabbir has potential ; he could hit out; can he graft; Mash's replacement is not ready; Mash was 10X better than Taskin in his age. Then who would be the third pacer - can we make shouyma a Mitch Marsh bowling clone? Taijul, Jubair have potential. But where is the bench of pacer after Rubel, Taskin. I do not buy shofiul, al amin. Same goes for middle order batting