facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old February 12, 2004, 10:01 AM
Retired BC Admin

Default Streak promises victory as Bangladesh face Zimbabwe backlash

HARARE, Zimbabwe (AFP) - Zimbabwe captain Heath Streak has licked his wounds and is already thinking of victory after seven defeats and a 'no result' from a triangular series against Australia and India.

Bangladesh begin their tour here on Saturday - the newest and weakest Test nation taking on the Zimbabwe second string in preparation for two Tests and five one-day internationals during the next month four weeks.

When Bangladesh made their only previous tour to Zimbabwe two years ago, they lost both Tests by big margins and also the three ODI's played.

Streak told AFP: "It was really hard work against Australia and India. We tried hard not to be discouraged and we learned a lot. There was a great deal of pressure to make a fist of it and we did improve in the latter stages.

"But now we are not the underdogs for a change. We must and we will impose ourselves on Bangladesh. We will be taking the initiative. I don't want to disparage them in any way, but we must be favoured."

Zimbabwe lost their best top order batsmen Mark Vermeulen and Craig Wishart through injuries in Australia and Grant Flower struggled with a damaged finger knuckle.

Vermeulen and Flower should be fit for the first Test in Harare and Wishart for the second in Bulawayo. This would make a big difference because Zimbabwe's most glaring weakness in Australia was the repeated failures of the top order to make runs or stay any worthwhile time at the wicket.

Bangladesh, who see a real chance here to push Zimbabwe down to the bottom of the unofficial Test status list, say they will take the game to the home side and play positive, attacking cricket.

Manager Latif Khan said: "We are an improving outfit and we will make a good fight of it. We gave England a scare or two just recently. We have some good youngsters in a balanced side."

Source
Old February 12, 2004, 11:02 AM
First Class Cricketer

We will not only scare them this time , we will push them to the bottom of the Test Status List.

Our batsmen need to play smartly though. They have the skill and head is slowly clearing up as well.

So watch out Zimbabwe. Tigers are coming.
Old February 12, 2004, 11:34 AM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Yes...I believe Bangladesh have a golden chance here and they must utilize it....
Old February 12, 2004, 12:11 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

If Heath Streak believes he can beat us that easily I am sure he will be surprised when we kick his ***. GO TIGERS!!!
Old February 12, 2004, 04:11 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim, Riyad, Ashraful
Default oh please....

Bangladesh is gonna get crushed! You know it, I know it - everyone knows it! Losers are born, not made!
Old February 12, 2004, 04:13 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Default I certainly don\'t know it!

neither do I expect it! this will be a keenly contested test series...no "crushing" will be involved!
Old February 12, 2004, 04:21 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim, Riyad, Ashraful

Given all our high hopes on ending the losing streak, even a deafeat by a wicket or a run is considered "crushing"!

[Edited on 12-2-2004 by Orpheus]
Old February 12, 2004, 06:38 PM
Test Cricketer

Default Zimb is prepared playing top two teams

Remember Zimb played top two best teams and they played really well...there is no chance that they are equal to us...we need more time atleast 5 yrs to be like them..so don expect too much...but we should atleast apply the new techniques and batsmen have to .."have to" be consistent and score runs..
Old February 12, 2004, 08:08 PM
Test Cricketer

loosen up guys!!

don't forget we also pushed pakistan to the limit. and they are a really good time on their own turf (look at SA series). AND we were undermanned (we had sujon in our team).
Old February 12, 2004, 09:06 PM
Cricket Legend

I have dicided not to make any comments of what will happen... remember, in cricket is an unpridictable game... who would have thought India would win the 1983 WC,who would have thought Zimbabwe will beat Aus in 1992, who would have thougt Kenya would beat West Indies in 1996, who would have thought Bangladesh would beat Pakistan in 1999, who would have thought Canada would beat Bangladesh in 2003 and who would have thought the BKSP would beat NZ?
Old February 12, 2004, 11:28 PM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by crazyisland
We will not only scare them this time , we will push them to the bottom of the Test Status List.

So watch out Zimbabwe. Tigers are coming.
Even if we beat them in both tests, they will not be at the bottom of the list. Their rating is 56 and ours is 0. They have 1506 points and we have 0.
Old February 12, 2004, 11:44 PM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by BangladeshCricket
Remember Zimb played top two best teams and they played really well...there is no chance that they are equal to us...we need more time atleast 5 yrs to be like them..so don expect too much...but we should atleast apply the new techniques and batsmen have to .."have to" be consistent and score runs..
I don't think it will take us 5 years. We may not catch them in rating or ranks in 2 years but we will be definitely performing at or above zimbabwe in 2 years.
Old February 12, 2004, 11:45 PM
First BC Member

Favorite Player: A successful cricketer

Vermulen will play in first test and Whishart will play in the second test against Bangladesh.
Old February 13, 2004, 01:33 AM
Test Cricketer

yup, that will really strengthen their weak toporder (their toporder was horrible in the VB series). our bowlers have their work cut out for them.
Old February 13, 2004, 01:49 AM
First BC Member

Not to mention the fact that we have only 2 bowlers in Tapash and Monju (Mushfique is somebody who checks the run-rate) among whom, Tapash is the only wicket-taking bowler.
Old February 13, 2004, 02:17 AM
Cricket Legend

FW: think you forgot a third bowler we have, Rafique. He should wipe out Zimbabwe single-handedly. I predict a first 10-for from Rafique this series (ok, maybe in the 3 day match?)
Old February 13, 2004, 06:28 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
[i] I predict a first 10-for from Rafique this series (ok, maybe in the 3 day match?)
...who knows...Rafiq might get all 10 wickets in one innings of Zimbabwe
Old February 13, 2004, 08:55 AM
First BC Member

I am not sure how effective Rafique will be on Harare pitch, but he is going to take a few in the Bulawayo batting pitch, may be he'll take 3 or more wickets.
Old February 13, 2004, 11:51 AM
Test Cricketer

i doubt it's possible to bowl zim out without rafique getting at least 5 per tests, especially since masri (our only scary pacer, i mean look into his eyes man!) is out. tapash has to carry a lot of the slack too.
Old February 13, 2004, 11:16 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Quote:
Originally posted by shovon13
i doubt it's possible to bowl zim out without rafique getting at least 5 per tests, especially since masri (our only scary pacer, i mean look into his eyes man!) is out. tapash has to carry a lot of the slack too.

yeah...we're really gonna miss masri in this series....without him our fast bowling attack's an absolute joke...
Old February 13, 2004, 11:24 PM
First BC Member

Quote:
i doubt it's possible to bowl zim out without rafique getting at least 5 per tests, especially since masri (our only scary pacer, i mean look into his eyes man!) is out
If what you think is true, then I think bowling them out at all will be a great difficult task. Because Rafique won't get help from the tracks much in terms of 'turn'; and the Chittagong pitch during the England series had not much turn, and Rafique took only 3 wickets, though he was always looking dangerous.
Old February 13, 2004, 11:36 PM
Test Cricketer

...go tapash go...

[Edited on 2/14/2004 by shovon13 : D'oh!!]