facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

View Poll Results: Who will win the 2011 Cricket World cup?
Australia 3 4.17%
Bangladesh 45 62.50%
Canada 0 0%
England 6 8.33%
India 7 9.72%
Ireland 0 0%
Kenya 0 0%
Netherlands 1 1.39%
New Zealand 1 1.39%
Pakistan 5 6.94%
South Africa 3 4.17%
Srilanka 1 1.39%
West Indies 0 0%
Zimbabwe 0 0%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 18, 2010, 11:41 PM
Test Cricketer

Default Who Will Win the Cricket World Cup 2011?

Please cast your vote, It'll be also very nice if you put your logic behind choosing them as winner.

Article Source:

It is the time to pick favorites for the Cricket World Cup 2011. The countdown for the mega event has begun, and everyone, including the legends of cricket have started picking their favorites to win the World cup. According to the legends of the game India is favorite to win the World cup.

Some people thinks India is not favorite to win this World cup, even though they are top contenders for the coveted trophy. One of the main reasons for India's unlikely success is the fact they are playing in front of the home crowd. Such big events like World cup brings a lot of pressure on the players. The title of being favorites adds to already existing pressure of home crowd expectations. Indifferent form of their best one day batsman Yuvraj Singh could also harm India's chances. Moreover their senior batsman Sachin Tendulkar will be desperate for winning this World cup in order to have at least one big trophy under his belt before he retires from cricket. You can see Sachin Tendulkar faltering or failing when approaching an important milestone. He has never featured in a World cup winning team despite featuring in five editions of the tournament. This is likely to be the last World cup for Sachin Tendulkar. Sachin Tendulkar is known to fail whenever there is pressure on him. Any shrewd captain should be able to exploit this weakness of Sachin Tendulkar. Another issue would be the spot to play Gautam Gambhir. Gautam Gambhir is better as an opener. He might not be effective in one day games in the middle order, and it could disrupt the whole batting order. There is no clear picture yet as to what combination India is likely to go. There is too much confusion with too many confusing choices. But if some of the players in the Indian batting line up hit purple patch, nothing could stop India from winning this edition of the World cup.

Australian team is not being picked as favorites this time. They are still the at the top of the ICC ranking table. Moreover reduced expectations on the Australian team might work in their favor. What could go against the Australian team is form and future of some of their key players, including their captain and star batsman Ricky Ponting. The Ashes results could also have a bearing on their performance in the upcoming World cup. The Australian team is still a force to reckon with and can peak at the right time to win the World cup.

South Africa is my favorite to win the World cup this time. They neither have the pressure of being favorites, nor they are playing in front of their home crowd. The tag of being chokers might actually work in their favor this time. Because they have been labeled chokers, it may release the any expectations on them, and may ultimately release any pressure on them. They have one of the best batting line up and best the best fast bowler in the world in their line up. South Africa should be able to open their account for World cup trophies.

The most unpredictable team ever, and the most unpredictable team in the tournament. Pakistan is not being given much of a chance by the pundits, but you should discount Pakistan at your own peril. Again, less expectation from this team may eventually work in their favor. Moreover, not having to play before home crowd, yet playing home like condition may also favor them. They may not have the best team in the world on the paper, but have the team to beat any team, and have players who can change the course of the game from any situation.

England has also emerged as a very strong team in the recent past. They could repeat their success in T20 edition of the World cup in the one day version, of course with little bit of luck at crucial stages of the tournament. England also has considerably less pressure on them.

Sri Lanka is a good team, but will be under pressure playing in front of their home crowds. I do not see Sri Lanka going all the way especially without Jaysurya in their ranks at the top of the order, and indifferent form of Tilakratne Dilshan. The Sangarkara's and Jayawardana's are not much effective in one-day format, especially in the absence of big hitters like Jaysurya at the top. They do not have a threating bowling line up either. I do not give much chance to Sri Lanka.

New Zeeland is one team, about whom the less said the better. They have some capable cricketers, but are failing as a unit. A couple of good games at the knockout might just give them an outside chance of winning the trophy.

West Indian team of today is exactly opposite of the West Indian team that participated in the first three editions of this prestigious tournament. I do not see West Indies winning this tournament, but cricket is funny old game.

Bangladesh has the ability to upset quite a few teams in this tournament like it did to India in the previous editions.Bangladesh showed that they will be a force in the World Cup11. Most of their players now have a lot of self-belief and feel that they can be competitive against any team and that is showing in the results. Tamim Iqbal has been the leader in the pack with his batting and Shakib Al Hasan is proving to be as good an all round cricketer as any

Ireland too can upset the big teams as it knocked out Pakistan in the initial stages of the tournament in the last edition of the World cup.

Last edited by WorldCup11; December 19, 2010 at 12:07 AM..
Old December 18, 2010, 11:53 PM
Test Cricketer

I voted for Bangladesh. I know we still need to look after power play batting & bowling, as well as consistency in batting order #3 & 4 positions. I hope for the best and believe guys will step up and bring the cup for our beloved country.

Last edited by WorldCup11; December 19, 2010 at 12:01 AM..
Old December 19, 2010, 12:42 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: A few

The poll should have been made public.
Old December 19, 2010, 12:51 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habib
The poll should have been made public.
Good Idea. Mods, could you please help and make this public? It'll be interesting to see what other people thinks.
Old December 19, 2010, 01:40 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

The One and Only Bangladesh.
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old December 19, 2010, 11:36 AM
BC Staff
BC Bangladesh

Favorite Player: Gilly

my 1st WC was the 1996 wc..and since then i have never seen a wc final without aus..in short i have never seen a wc final without aus..though there team isn't as strong as before but still they can make it..sub continent has hosted 2 wc and aus have played final in each of those 2...so its little hard to bet against them..
Old December 20, 2010, 09:15 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Suhrawadi Shuvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_wolf
my 1st WC was the 1996 wc..and since then i have never seen a wc final without aus..in short i have never seen a wc final without aus..though there team isn't as strong as before but still they can make it..sub continent has hosted 2 wc and aus have played final in each of those 2...so its little hard to bet against them..
what the?
Old December 20, 2010, 12:04 PM
Administrator
Operations & Administrations

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

Bangladesh all the way!!!
Old December 20, 2010, 01:51 PM

South Africa seems like they'll belt their way through. Kallis, Amla and De Villiers can take on a good spin attack even on desi slow pitches.

Aus looks iffy. You know they're good but they dont have the glamour of Hayden, Symonds, Gilchrist, Brett Lee, Warne and McGrath anymore. Mitchell Johnson bowled beautifully on his own.

England have a good chance too. Their top order is on song, and with a bowler like Swann backed up by quality pace, they could possibly belt their way out. How they play the spin is the crucial point here.

India, despite all the hatred from fans here, have a great team. They have belters, they have classy match winners, good pacemen who keep their line and length, and they have good spinners. If they lose, it'll be because of any complacency on their part which might be unlikely as its in their home and backyard.

SL is SL... they can do their fair share of damage and get to the top again.

All in all, this'll be the most balanced and evenly contested World Cup for a long time to come.
Old December 20, 2010, 02:55 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafiq

Bangladesh.
Old December 27, 2010, 10:42 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: iceman

Bangladesh all the way.....i want to beat india in india in the final
Old December 27, 2010, 10:52 AM
BC Staff
BC Bangladesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Manc
what the?
1996:SL vs AUS
1999:Pak vs Aus
2003:Ind vs Aus
2007:SL vs Aus

i was born in 1987 and i didn't watch 1987 and 1992 WC..i said since i started watching WC i never seen a WC final without Aus
Old December 27, 2010, 02:11 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Shakib, Tamim, Mash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haru-party

Ameen Ameen, shobai Ameen bolen vai....
Old December 27, 2010, 02:19 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: A few

Quote:
Originally Posted by roman
Ameen Ameen, shobai Ameen bolen vai....
Aaaaameeeeeen.
Old December 27, 2010, 03:04 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haru-party
We'd start our campaign by beating india on our soil first and then finish it off by beating 'em in their own backyard in the final.

A perfect finish to a perfect start.
This Cup is ours!!!
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old December 28, 2010, 06:36 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Ash,Tamim, Rahim,Sakib

Pls dont write off the aussies, still think that they will bounce back. England is a team to be reckoned with, there is SA, SL and India. I still wish Bangladesh well, but i cant see them pulling off a win here. Mentally, they are very weak, batsmen still cannot pile on the runs, they must depend on their bowling and fielding. Hope that they at least progress to the quarter final, that means that will have to win 4 games.
i am still doubtful that they can win against any of the Associates, after being thrashed by ireland and Netherlands in England, seems that they cave in easily.
Old December 28, 2010, 06:40 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Rahul Dravid

B.a.n.g.l.a.d.e.s.h
Old December 29, 2010, 05:31 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

The sort of record we have in subcontinent lately, hard to look past them. So India it is. Srilanka are close contenders with Aussies coming the third. SA always had good teams on paper but they are such awesome chokers, besides I don't think they will win any in subcontinent.

England is overrated in ODIs, they don't have good enough team to win in subcontinent.
Old December 29, 2010, 05:44 AM
BC Staff
BC Bangladesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakibrulz
The sort of record we have in subcontinent lately, hard to look past them. So India it is. Srilanka are close contenders with Aussies coming the third. SA always had good teams on paper but they are such awesome chokers, besides I don't think they will win any in subcontinent.

England is overrated in ODIs, they don't have good enough team to win in subcontinent.
india i believe will scramble in the pressure of immense expectations over them...SL and Aus is my picks
Old December 29, 2010, 05:44 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib,Ganguly,Vettori,

Reasons can go to tartarus. I'm voting for my country.
Old December 29, 2010, 05:47 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib,Ganguly,Vettori,

In the unlikely event that BD fails to reach the final, I think It will still be a team from the sub continent. Pommis, Aussies or Saffars have no chance. I'm not even counting the blackest of caps.
Old December 29, 2010, 01:21 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: All the Tigers

Time to make plans about the WC winning celebration party!!!
Old December 29, 2010, 04:16 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

So far 19 pot smokers in this room.
Old December 29, 2010, 05:38 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger

^Make that 20.

Bangladesh...i know it's impossible, but so was 4-0 banglawash. If that wasn't a fluke, then the WC will be no fluke either.

Is there anything wrong in dreaming about this?
Old December 29, 2010, 05:43 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger

Guys - remember that the matches will be in the sub continent. Aussies/Saffers are the only two teams who could have done something. But Aussies look more lost than the little kid in school for the first day, while Saffers are only going to die choking.