facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old February 17, 2014, 08:31 PM

Favorite Player: Shakib, Brian Lara

^^ exactly my fear too. He is a fine batsman but his captaincy will lose us many games in the future. This was baffling but what was more baffling was the decision to play Shahadat hossain in the 11 throughout asia cup where he went for runs every single game. On top of that mushy gave him the ball for the final over. He can cry all he wants to but his idiotic tactics better change before the main tournaments begin
Old February 18, 2014, 03:28 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazal
He shouldn't have played this game, he didn't looked like ready. It was so painful to see him batting, Momin and Samsu gave the game to him with 75% work done, and his slow and painful innings screwed up everything from the point he joined the batting. His RR was so painfully slow, others tried to make up that and eventually perished. Having stayed soo long, he should have take the game by the horn, others should just need to prevent wicket other end.

Plus if he continue to favor his Bhaira, then that will be a bigger issue in the team. You cannot have a captain who miss use his authority.
Sorry but run-rate was never the issue. I don't think the required run-rate exceeded 4/over at any point during Mushy's stay at the crease. When he got out the RRR was just barely above three. So I don't know what pressure you are imagining that he created that others needed to make up for. In fact he could've batted at half the SR he did and it wouldn't have been a problem. It's the other batsmen who probably had the same thought process as you and thought that it was T20 match that lost us the game. Although, you are right in saying that Mushy should shoulder the blame for not closing the game being the captain and a senior batsman.

As for people wanting him out of the team and questioning his strike rotation etc. I don't know what to say to them. Mushy was our best batsman in the NZ series. Yes Naeem might have got the most runs but Mushy got 123 runs at a SR of 95 despite missing out on runs in the last ODI which was basically played on a road. Also let's not forget that he broke his finger just days ago and it'll take a while for him to return to a 100%.
Old February 18, 2014, 03:57 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equinox
Sorry but run-rate was never the issue. I don't think the required run-rate exceeded 4/over at any point during Mushy's stay at the crease.
When he got out the RRR was just barely above three. So I don't know what pressure you are imagining that he created that others needed to make up for.
RR was not an issue only because the way Shamsu and Momin played and when Rahim played with Shamsu, it was Shamsu who took all the pressure from Rahim. While Shamsu was playing with a SR of 100, Rahim was playing with a SR of 38. And only because his younger partner took all the responsibility and initiative to keep the RR at a manageable state, the RR was 4 or below. Rahim had no contribution, he was rather creating problem for others by waisting dot ball after dot ball.

And when Shamu left, Rahim didn't picked up the RR and his other partners felt the need to make up of Rahim's poor RR ( RR 38) to keep the RRR was below 4. Just see how many dot balls he wasted. Nobody wanted him to score 6s, that was not needed. What was needed from him was to score singles and rotate and some occasional 4s. It's not too much to ask from our captain.

When young players like Momin and Shamsu had no problem moving the score, an experienced player like Rahim should have no problem scoring 3,4 runs every six balls. And that was what he failed to do and that's where he put pressure on his partners to make up his dot balls.

May be its due to his injury that the way he played, but there is no point to sugar coat it. He even failed to scorenough singles and that was one of the main reason why we failed to score 181. He just stayed and wasted balls after balls and got out with a stupid shot.

Three players stayed long enough in our batting:

- Shamsu stayed 49 balls scored 62 with a SR of 126
- Momin Stayed 53 balls scored 44 with a SR of 82
- Rahim stayed 50 balls and scored 27 with a SR of 54

Sahmsu and Momin are young players and virtually opened the innings. After 1st wicket, they stayed and they built the platform and they addressed the RR to a point that senior middle order (like Rahim) should have no problem taking it to the 181 before 40th over. Rahim stayed, wasted balls, didn't take care of his RR and then went out with a stupid shot.

He ended up scoring 27 runs in 50 balls. If that is the rate we would play, we would end up scoring 139 runs in 43 over, not even close to the 181 target. He stayed long enough to make a difference, but failed to score runs and put the pressure on his partners to make up his slow RR.

Besides those stupid miss catches, if we have to pick a single person for our loss, Rahim should the one of the major candidates why we lost the game.

Last edited by Fazal; February 18, 2014 at 09:04 PM..
Old February 18, 2014, 07:30 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Umpires!

Mushy needs a break. He is definitely not 100% and his presence only hurting the right at this moment...
Old February 18, 2014, 10:08 PM

Run rate was not an issue. Mushfiq didn't cause anyone to play those shots. There is no doubt He took his time but when the required runrate is 3 per over it doesn't put any pressure on the partner at the other end. All of his partners fell to poor strokes. It started with Shamsur suddenly deciding to slog three consecutive deliveries that ended in a tragic runout. Nasir played a loose drive. Less said about Ryad the better. Gazi had a brain fart and the rest of the batting didn't have the skills to survive.
Old February 19, 2014, 01:45 AM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
Sorry but run-rate was never the issue. I don't think the required run-rate exceeded 4/over at any point during Mushy's stay at the crease. When he got out the RRR was just barely above three. So I don't know what pressure you are imagining that he created that others needed to make up for. In fact he could've batted at half the SR he did and it wouldn't have been a problem. It's the other batsmen who probably had the same thought process as you and thought that it was T20 match that lost us the game. Although, you are right in saying that Mushy should shoulder the blame for not closing the game being the captain and a senior batsman.

As for people wanting him out of the team and questioning his strike rotation etc. I don't know what to say to them. Mushy was our best batsman in the NZ series. Yes Naeem might have got the most runs but Mushy got 123 runs at a SR of 95 despite missing out on runs in the last ODI which was basically played on a road. Also let's not forget that he broke his finger just days ago and it'll take a while for him to return to a 100%.
Definitely agree with you about Musfiq's SR not being an issue last game, but here's my take on him overall as a player and a captain (in risk of sounding repetitive/annoying/like a broken record as I already mentioned these):

His ODI average of 26.34 suggests that he's a poor batsman, and judging a player solely based on his performance in the last series doesn't really make sense, does it. Though I agree that he did well vs NZ (even though not the best IMO).

His WK is OK at best. In the last game, Anamul looked better. That doesn't mean he is, but if he turns out to be a better WK and a better batsman than Mushfiq, then Mushfiq should definitely be dropped from the XI permanently in favor of Anamul.

The only thing he's good at is off-the-field captaincy, which is a very important element of captaincy, probably roughly half of what captaincy is about, but being a good captain off the field only and nothing else doesn't warrant a starting spot. If Anamul proves to be better, we've to look for a new captain.
Old February 19, 2014, 01:58 AM

I think he has had a very slow start to his international career. In the last 3 years or so he has been a very good batsman notching up the first double hundred for us against Sri Lanka. I think in ODIs he averages 31.75 since 2011 which, by our standards is very respectable. In Test matches he has performed even better since 2011 by averaging 41.32.

So your suggestion that he is a poor batsman by looking at his overall record might not be doing justice to a man who has worked hard to improve his batting over the years.
Old February 19, 2014, 02:03 AM
Club Cricketer

I asked about his last-3-yr avg in the other threads. 31.75 certainly is acceptable by our current standards.
Old February 19, 2014, 02:04 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Charlie Chaplin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadukor
Run rate was not an issue. Mushfiq didn't cause anyone to play those shots. There is no doubt He took his time but when the required runrate is 3 per over it doesn't put any pressure on the partner at the other end. All of his partners fell to poor strokes. It started with Shamsur suddenly deciding to slog three consecutive deliveries that ended in a tragic runout. Nasir played a loose drive. Less said about Ryad the better. Gazi had a brain fart and the rest of the batting didn't have the skills to survive.
Agree with the magician.
Old February 19, 2014, 02:09 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Bangladesh

I don´t know which game Fazal was watching. RR was never the issue and as Equinox said he could have gone even slower...even 6/7 needed per over wouldn´t have been problem in the last few overs.

Also the criticism of not scoring as fast as Shamsur is rather strange given the match situation and the pitch. Mushy was playing exactly how it was required until he got out stupidly and unnecessarily. He should have taken it home from there. Plenty overs were left and RRR below 4.
Old February 19, 2014, 02:23 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

mushy did not have to score any faster, what the team needed was for someone or a couple of people to have some small partnerships, run rate was fine and mushy was doing no harm to it. we lost because no one could stick around not because of run rate.
Old February 19, 2014, 10:49 AM
Cricket Sage

We talk all the time that,

- playing too many dot balls are one of the problem in our team
- not able to roate the strike is another problem
- too defensive in our approach is another problem. When we have uppder hand we need to fininh it with slam dunk.
- Play like TEST in ODI and ODI in TEST.
- once set, failed to finish the game,

Guess who was guilty of all of those?

He could be a hero if he could stay at the end and give us the win. But he didn't. He wasted balls after balls and when he is supposed to sprint for the final round he stopped short. That is the risk you take when you drag unnecessarily too long to a very winable game (after what Momin and Shamsu had done). Yes he could be again a hero, but he failed to finish. There was no need to dragg that game upto 43 over.

In cricket there is not that much difference btween a hero and goat. Sometimes you are a hero (purely based on luck may be) sometimes you become a goat. Unfortunately in that game Rahim was a goat.

Sometimes you need to be brave to be a hero. Just look at Perara, he could have been out in his 1st missed catch. But guess what? He beleievd in the motto "OFENCE IS THE BEST DEFENCE". He keep hitting hard and make a misable total to a more defendable total. He could have been another SL batsman who went cheap, but he took risk and he was rewarded abd became a Hero.

Low RRR is a trap. You are stuck with the low target and start wasting dot balls after dot balls and end up creating unnecessary pressure at the end. And that;'s what happened in that game. The pitch didn;t suddenly changed drastically (besides dew which should hel the batsman further). How come Momin and Shamus played so fluently and the rest failed? Its because we started playimng too defensively, which was not need at that point. We should have played our natural game, forgetting about RRR, and we should have acheive the target during the last PP.
Old February 19, 2014, 04:46 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib

^So why not blame nasir and riyad? They were goats too. Or Nasir played that drive and Riyad nudged it to short leg because of the immense pressure created solely by Mushy? And yeah less said about our 'natural' game the better. Gazi played very natural attacking game and we saw what happened.

I just don't know why you are blaming only Mushy for this loss. I will blame the fielders for dropping catches and Anamul, Mushy, Nasir, Riyad, Gazi for the batting. In fact, I think it was a team effort. They all contributed to the loss (excluding Momin+Kopa).
Old February 19, 2014, 05:22 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: shak,gazi,mush

It was really a "novelty" to see that Mushfiqur run out, absolutely a treat to watch.
Old February 19, 2014, 07:06 PM

Favorite Player: Shakib, Nasir, Sir Don

Quote:

If he is not 100% (physically), perhaps he should have rested. I bet Naeem could have scored 30 off 70...
Old February 19, 2014, 07:08 PM

Favorite Player: Shakib, Nasir, Sir Don

Why are some blaming Mushy? Because "the buck stops here."
Old February 19, 2014, 09:53 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

Mushy actually scored some runs unlike other senior or more accomplished players and his strike rate wasn't affecting the outcome of the match so I don't see why mushy is the scapegoat here when others who scored less are just as much to blame.
Old February 20, 2014, 08:27 AM
Cricket Guru

Mushfiq ran out Shuvo in the last match, and Riyad today - is this becoming a pattern?!
Old February 20, 2014, 10:10 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib

I blame Mushfiq for this loss. He is the goat today. Shamsu, Momin, Anamul knew Mushy would play slow and got out before him. Shamsu was so upset what Mushy would do in future that he got scoring nothing. Then Shakib, Nasir, Gazi also had to play such shots coz Mushy was playing so slow. Look at Shakib with a SR of 100+. Even Rubel had higher SR than Mushy today. That shows his inability.
Old February 20, 2014, 10:32 AM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gowza
Mushy actually scored some runs unlike other senior or more accomplished players and his strike rate wasn't affecting the outcome of the match so I don't see why mushy is the scapegoat here when others who scored less are just as much to blame.
What goes around comes around.

In 1st ODI some people made Shamsu the scapegoat for not staying further and finishing the game. Like this game, in 1st ODi, Shamsu had the highest score as well as a great SR. So if Shamu can be the scapegoat in 1st ODI, wqhy not Rahim in 2nd ODI?

btw, as for me, I think Rahim did a great job as a batsman in 2nd ODI and he tried his best, except that he tends to make his partner run out,. two game in a row and thre of his partners were run out.
Old February 20, 2014, 10:45 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shak,TI,Mash,Mushy,Dravid

I will never blame Mushy alone for a loss.. Sometimes he can be pathetic but you gotta respect his dedication for cricket.. He is one man in BD team who will actually work on his weaknesses after a loss and will try his best to come back strong but can't say the same for any other player..

If you don't keep working hard your potential will be lost .. Ash, Tamim, Shakib, Nasir are the examples ...
Old February 20, 2014, 11:15 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tendo, Shakib, Gilchrist

I really wished Stuart Law or atleast Pybus was with us
Old February 20, 2014, 11:22 AM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHRAM
I really wished Stuart Law or atleast Pybus was with us
I would rather have Strict Law and Muli Bash for the etam.
Old February 20, 2014, 11:48 AM

Shamsur's runout was not mushfiq's fault. He was miles into the crease but unfortunately his bat got stuck during the slide and his feet were in the air. Accusing mushy for that runout is ridiculous
Old February 20, 2014, 11:59 AM
Cricket Sage

Yes it was mainly Shamsur's fault. But at the same time the comentator have mentioned Shamsu was looking at the ball and started late (please check the clip if you have), and calling for 2nd run based on reality was taking risk. And 2nd run was called by Rahim. Samsu tried his best, and fumbles and couldn;t make it up. It was preventable, and that's where Rahim comes in, in the picture.

So in my humble opinion it's not redeculus to state that "3 out of 4" run outs, Rahim was the partner in crime.