facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old February 22, 2014, 09:51 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

You don't have to call anyone out in public like that, especially a comparatively blameless bowler towards the fag end of our so called innings.

This is how Steve Yzerman, a proven leader from a different sport did it, inspiring his team to get over the proverbial hump and overcome formidable opponents to win 3 Stanley Cups in 5 years.

After a particularly heartless display of underachievement which prompted Scotty Bowman, his GM and Coach to have a mild stroke during the 1997 playoffs, he politely told the press to stay out of the locker room, locked the door and ripped into his senior players, many of them superstar Hall of Famers in their own right.

He started by criticizing himself mercilessly, and then methodically moved on to Fedorov, Shanahan and others. A man of few words who never gave less than 100% on the ice, and modified, even stifled his offensive prowess for the betterment of the team according to his GM and Coach, he told everyone that starting with himself, they MUST do better for the city, the state, the fans and themselves in that order, or warm the bench before getting traded.

Then he asked the players to take a vote on whether to share the contents of the meeting with the press to put public pressure on themselves. The decision was unanimous, and after everyone was on the same page, he made things public.

I'm sure we can find similar examples in cricket also. Clive Lloyd, Ian Chappell and Sourav Ganguly have done similar things to light a fire, and their criticism, deserved or not, always started with themselves.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)
Old February 22, 2014, 10:05 AM

Favorite Player: Shakib, Nasir, Sir Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohel
I'm sure we can find similar examples in cricket also. Clive Lloyd, Ian Chappell and Sourav Ganguly have done similar things to light a fire, and their criticism, deserved or not, always started with themselves.
This is the reason, I always respect Truman. He is a respected President, but he was responsible for a lot of things. Some blame him for the Cold War, Israel, .....

But, he never shrunk from his responsibility. "The buck stops here."

Mushfiqur is a good uniter, but that might be all. Inspiring/motivating, etc is not his second nature, but he tries. Tactics? Well the less said the better.

The problem is that we don't have a ready replacement. Mash might be a bit better in limited overs, but he misses to many games.

দীর্ঘশ্বাস!
Old February 22, 2014, 10:13 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

By his own admission, his players tend to tune him out during critical moments. That doesn't happen with real leaders, not someone out to get along, stay popular and thereby giving a dodgy impression of his leadership ability. I don't think he's willing to mitigate his dressing room popularity in any way, especially to senior players like Shakib and Tamim. Again, questionable "man management" skills further damaged by his obvious nepotism. Tactically he's clueless with ZERO visible improvement to date.

Sadly, I don't see anyone who can do better at this moment.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)
Old February 26, 2014, 06:50 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Favorite Player: Innocent Bird

Mushy's ODI avg is now 52 when not playing as a keeper compare to 25.98 when keeping. Although, there is huge difference in numbers (6 vs 98) but i feel mushy will do a lot better if he gives up keeping and make number 3 his permanent position in both format of the game.

And congrats on the top knock, It was as good as 90 odd he hit against Aus couple of years ago.
Old February 26, 2014, 06:55 AM
Cricket Legend

Our best bar none with the bat right now in all formats. One of the best innings I've seen from a Bangladeshi batsman. If he hadn't taken that blow I think we would have got 300 easily. It took him a while to get going again after that blatant attempt to injure him.
Old February 26, 2014, 07:00 AM
BC Staff
BC Bangladesh

Favorite Player: Gilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadim
Mushy's ODI avg is now 52 when not playing as a keeper compare to 25.98 when keeping. Although, there is huge difference in numbers (6 vs 98) but i feel mushy will do a lot better if he gives up keeping and make number 3 his permanent position in both format of the game.

And congrats on the top knock, It was as good as 90 odd he hit against Aus couple of years ago.
take away the 100 and the avg will go down, i dont think keeping in ODI effects mushy's batting, sanga keeps in ODI too..but mushy needs to give up keeping in test..Bangladeshi keepers needs to keep 120-150 overs on avg and its hard for any player to keep this much and bat well. Mushy is too good of a batsman for our team
Old February 26, 2014, 07:01 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

needs to work on his conversion rate still, plenty of half centuries, far to few centuries. but agree, the best BD bat atm in all forms.
Old February 26, 2014, 07:15 AM
MLC World Series I

One of the best, if not the best Bangladeshi captain innings.. Cannot think of anyone else, who would have played like that!
Old February 26, 2014, 09:10 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: A few

Great innings.
On his captaincy:
I hope he understands that his decision to replace Zia, after he gets a wicket, with Rubel was a mistake. If he doesn't, this sort of small but crucial mistakes will continue to cost us. I hope the coach took note if he is worth his pay.

Last edited by Habib; February 26, 2014 at 11:42 AM..
Old February 26, 2014, 10:05 AM
Cricket Sage

Congratulation Mushy for the century. This is the way we want to see you... your frustration translate into more and more determination and performance in the field... that's the way i.e. leadership though performance, you can influence the young players in the team instead of opening the dirtry laundry to the press.
Old February 26, 2014, 10:12 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Love them all....

He is following the path of HaBa.
Old February 26, 2014, 10:36 AM

Favorite Player: Shakib, Nasir, Sir Don

Excellent batting today, but horrible captaincy.
Old February 26, 2014, 10:40 AM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuziburo
Excellent batting today, but horrible captaincy.
Puzzling captaincy. Zia ki dosh korlo? Why he was not used to full? In my humble opinion, the best available FB is seating in the bench i.e. Al-Amin.
Old February 26, 2014, 10:43 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Any leg break bowler

Mushfiq just don't get injured..
Old February 26, 2014, 01:09 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib

if this innings was few weeks ago and against India, how much would have Mushy fetched in IPL auction?

(yes he withdrew, but wondering if he would received a bid)
Old February 26, 2014, 01:38 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib,Tamim,Anamul

Quote:
Originally Posted by mufi_02
if this innings was few weeks ago and against India, how much would have Mushy fetched in IPL auction?

(yes he withdrew, but wondering if he would received a bid)
They can take him even now.
Old February 26, 2014, 01:49 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mash, Shak, Enam, Riyad

brilliant, brilliant innings. I dont think i have ever seen such a class innings from any Bangladesh batsman, that too under immense pressure.
Old February 26, 2014, 02:14 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Bangladesh

Truly an outstanding 100 by Little Mushy!

Was never in a hurry, no ugly heaves. Never was in any sort of a bother (except Aaron trying to kill him) -a well paced perfect innings. Hope the other "much more talented" teammates of his were watching him bat.
Old February 26, 2014, 02:28 PM
Cricket Sage

Oh no... ustad jee is back. Amra shobai palai ... palai
Old February 26, 2014, 03:01 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Tam,Sak,Nasa,Mash

outstanding batting, 10/10
he wasn't scoring 100s in internationals despite of scoring so well in Domestic lgs, clearly our best batsman currently.
Hope & pray he recovers from injury & play all matches.
Old February 26, 2014, 07:33 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Nirala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equinox
It took him a while to get going again after that blatant attempt to injure him.
That's not true. I was watching the game, i didn't saw anything that indicated Arun had any bad intention. Given the beating he was taking, it's quite possible that he lost concentration and lost control of the ball.
Old February 26, 2014, 07:55 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajfar
That's not true. I was watching the game, i didn't saw anything that indicated Arun had any bad intention. Given the beating he was taking, it's quite possible that he lost concentration and lost control of the ball.
Well Gavasker disagree with you according to theDailyStar report

Quote:
The above-waist-high full-toss, released at a speed of 140k-plus, gave Mushfiqur little time to duck and hit him full on in the chest. The Bangladesh skipper straight away dropped his bat and fell down on the ground in agony. The young bowler, who was barred from bowling any further in the innings by the umpire, apologised to Mushfiqur. However, actions such as these are hardly excusable, as was emphasised by the legendary Indian cricketer-turned-commentator Sunil Gavaskar. “That one seemed intentional. This should not have been the way to stop the batsman and the bowler should be dealt a stricter punishment,” Gavaskar said while commentating on the match on TV.
Old February 26, 2014, 09:45 PM
Cricket Legend

I don't think Gavaskar said it was intentional. He most probably said as I recall it is unacceptable to bowl a beamer so high and there should be stricter punishment.
Old February 26, 2014, 11:05 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: A few

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saifulsohel
They can take him even now.
Na bhai thak. Dorkar nai. It has already done Shakib more harm than good.
Old February 27, 2014, 12:13 PM
Cricket Guru

what is the news on his injury? We really need him can they have Shakib suspension reduced?