facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old February 7, 2011, 04:23 AM
Ex Bangladesh National Bowling Coach
Dhaka Gladiators Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazabQ
Ian,

Thanks for your good humor in taking all sorts of question from us. A common folly I see in all fast bowlers is that whenever they strive for extra pace they end up sliding down leg. I know you have often said that fast bowling can be taught, but how do you teach the Rubels and Shafiuls to also do so while "within themselves"?
The ball usually goes down the leg side if you don't complete your action fully.

I ALWAYS say fast bowling can be taught (not 'often' say it!).

Fast bowling is a sequence of muscles stretches and contractions. Any bowler has to do these in the correct sequence to maximise their speed. When a bowler 'strives' for more pace they get out of sequence because the parts don't synchronise correctly.

If a bowler is going to bowl faster the ALL the parts must work cohesively faster together. You cannot simply bowl as fast as you can without sequencing things. This is where I do my best work in teaching sequences through drills.

Rubel and Shafiul can both bowl 5 kph faster than they are and probably faster than that still. But in ODI's there is always a trade off between control and pace. You can have both but that takes time to learn. We haven't had that time. So we have focused on getting the ball in the right area with GOOD speed and aggression, plus swing.
Old February 7, 2011, 09:16 AM
Banned for 1 month

Favorite Player: Ashraful, Aftab,A. Kapeli

Mr Ian Pont, My First Question is your views regarding the out of form Mohammed Ashraful selection to the team. (1)

My second questions is now that Mashrafi Bin Mortaza has started to bowl and even if he is unfit lets say 95% he will bowl the same or even better than the current bowlers in the Squad. (do you agree?)

and my final question links with my first question, If someone like Ashraful who has been out of form for the previous 1 year and he is selected, what do you say about those who has performed well?.

I just want your opinion, I know your a bowling coach, but would be nice to hear someone who knows cricket, what he thinks of.

thank you Mr Ian Pont
Old February 7, 2011, 09:47 AM

Favorite Player: Shakib, Nasir, Sir Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Pont
The problem is, as with any job, you cannot wait until you are out of contract to discuss it. That has to be done so you can continue on with a better deal if you have done well, or longer contract to get things right if they haven't.

Since my arrival we have won 7 out of 8 ODI's - the second best in world cricket. And a 4-0 series win against a full NZ side.

i run a huge coaching business back in the UK discovering and developing talent. Plus of course other countries are looking for bowling coaches. There are projects in various countries at state and provincial level too, plus the IPL at some stage.

If you do well, other people come calling. You can work out the rest.
I think that says it all. Ian probably is not staying even if BCB were to approach him now. They had their chance and blew it! Why am I not surprised?

Ian, if you indeed are going to bigger and better things after March 31, thank you for the inimitable service you have provided to BD. Hopefully, you have permanently instilled something in the mind of our current pacers, which will begin to propagate to the young cricketers in BD, resulting in some express pace bowlers in the near futures.
Old February 7, 2011, 10:43 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Coach:

I am curious if you were thinking of translating your book into Bangla? Not for the national players as they are already privy to work with you firsthand but rather for all would be young bowlers. This would immensely benefit people esp. for the ones who don't know English or who can't afford your book from rural areas.

Old February 7, 2011, 10:52 PM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeshanM
Coach:

I am curious if you were thinking of translating your book into Bangla? Not for the national players as they are already privy to work with you firsthand but rather for all would be young bowlers. This would immensely benefit people esp. for the ones who don't know English or who can't afford your book from rural areas.
I second that.
Old February 7, 2011, 10:53 PM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Quote:
Coach:

Loved this question. What do you say Ian?
Old February 7, 2011, 10:56 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

If Ian agrees, I wonder if babubangla bhai would be interested in undertaking this big project?

A. It'd be legit, no pirated or Neelkhet type of rip off.
B. There would be excellent craftsmanship.
C. He knows about cricket.

Of course, there are many other talented people. I just thought of babubangla bhai. (Btw if the deal works out I want my 10% )

Last edited by Zeeshan; February 7, 2011 at 11:32 PM..
Old February 8, 2011, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Coach:

The book is published by Crowood Press and they own all the reproduction rights to The Fast Bowler's Bible. I doubt if they have the resources to translate a book like this and also feel that they would not have the resources to distribute and sell the book in Bangladesh.

They are a very small publishing house in England and not an international company as such.

If someone else wanted to do with their permission that then it would be great to get the book translated into as many languages as people wanted the book. If you think it could sell well (above 25,000 copies) then it would be worth looking at.

As author I would be specially pleased.
Old February 8, 2011, 01:36 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
The book is published by Crowood Press and they own all the reproduction rights to The Fast Bowler's Bible. I doubt if they have the resources to translate a book like this and also feel that they would not have the resources to distribute and sell the book in Bangladesh.

They are a very small publishing house in England and not an international company as such.

If someone else wanted to do with their permission that then it would be great to get the book translated into as many languages as people wanted the book. If you think it could sell well (above 25,000 copies) then it would be worth looking at.

I don't want to speculate. And I forgot about the reproduction rights. But say if you were to translate in Bangla and Hindi and distribute in a country of 150 million people (BD) and 1.2 billion people (India), I believe you'd sell enough copies provided the price would be in affordable range.

However, on the other hand, may be the press can consider the option of print-on-demand?

Old February 8, 2011, 01:49 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mo Chow = Chow Mo

Quote:

Quote:
I don't want to speculate. And I forgot about the reproduction rights. But say if you were to translate in Bangla and Hindi and distribute in a country of 150 million people (BD) and 1.2 billion people (India), I believe you'd sell enough copies provided the price would be in affordable range.

However, on the other hand, may be the press can consider the option of print-on-demand?
Hello dear coach,

Like Zeeshan above I would say it will absolutely easily be sold over 25,000 prints in Bengali among Dhaka and rest of Bangladesh + West Bengal (Kolkata) bookstores/market! It is a big and truly interested audience!
Old February 8, 2011, 01:58 AM

Favorite Player: Shakib, Brian Lara

Dear Coach,
Just wanted to ask about the bowling speeds we see on television. I have noticed that when fast bowlers pitch the ball full... the speeds are considerably higher than when they are bowling bouncers... but from my playing experience i always felt that a bouncer comes on quicker and the bowler puts in considerably more effort. Whats your take on this? is it my eyes that is deceiving me...or is there some deficiency with the speed gun recording short pitch delivery speeds?
Old February 8, 2011, 08:40 AM

Quote:

From the little I know about print-on-demand, the prices might be high. To keep the price affordable, it has to be printed in BD. If the publisher wants too much for the reproduction rights, then the price would not be affordable and number of copies sold would be low. Perhaps, there can be two editions, one lower-priced (sulov) and one higher-priced (shovon).

Who would talk to the publisher? You probably want someone well-versed in publishing industry to negotiate.
Old February 8, 2011, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bujhee kom
Hello dear coach,

Like Zeeshan above I would say it will absolutely easily be sold over 25,000 prints in Bengali among Dhaka and rest of Bangladesh + West Bengal (Kolkata) bookstores/market! It is a big and truly interested audience!
It probably would sell even more, but only with proper marketing. The team would need at least:
  1. A translator,
  2. A publisher, and \
  3. A Marketing guy.
Old February 8, 2011, 11:25 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Ryan Ten Doescate

Who in our team can give the ball the biggest rip (out of the spinners)?
And if BCB did decide to renew your contract, would you take it?

Last edited by Banglaguy; February 9, 2011 at 11:13 AM.. Reason: Lol, Bog!
Old February 8, 2011, 03:03 PM
Club Cricketer

Do you encourage our bowlers to sledge? If yes, are you teaching them how to be good at it?
Old February 8, 2011, 04:03 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sakibul Hasan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssaadi123
Do you encourage our bowlers to sledge? If yes, are you teaching them how to be good at it?
Somehow, I doubt thats in the job description...
Old February 8, 2011, 04:06 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farhad
Somehow, I doubt thats in the job description...
Coach Fountain answered a similar question. Let me dig up the link..

Edit: Misspoke. Magic boy asked a similar question in this thread. Not sure if Coach answered it.

Last edited by Zeeshan; February 8, 2011 at 04:13 PM..
Old February 8, 2011, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banglaguy
Who in our team can give the ball the boggest rip (out of the spinners)?
And if BCB did decide to renew your contract, would you take it?
Ryad and Razzer are the ones who seems to get the most spin and drift. If the seam position is right the two factors are related. In international cricket it isn't so much the spin that defeats batsmen but flight and drift. That's because batsmen are deciding on the shot based on the flight of the ball.

With regard to an extension, any contract negotiation should be just that, a negotiation. My contract here is a short-term one (6 months) but there are other factors now at play because there are other vacancies and opportunities in the world too.

We have risen to 8th in the world now above the West Indies as a DIRECT RESULT of the NZ and Zimbabwe series wins. That makes the work we are doing here massively valuable and something that most countries would wish to harness.

It is up to others to decide if they want that to continue.
Old February 8, 2011, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssaadi123
Sledging is part of the game. It's usually unplanned, emotional and sometimes based on frustration.

I don't have an issue with sledging if it is not PERSONAL. Having a few words with opposition batsmen after a lucky shot or passage of play is pretty much what goes on. Unsettling the opposition becomes a factor in cricket and friendly banter between teams happens every match.

But I don't approve of it turning nasty or personal.

There are players who definitely get affected by sledging and of course having a word with them between overs or after certain deliveries can light the fuse. We are all big boys and grown ups.

But on balance I would rather let the ball do the talking.
Old February 8, 2011, 08:30 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafee & Shakib

Coach, you know, you are pretty good at selling yourself Please take no offense at my comment, it is meant as an affectionate compliment.
Old February 8, 2011, 09:02 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket_pagol
Coach, you know, you are pretty good at selling yourself Please take no offense at my comment, it is meant as an affectionate compliment.
Great point! He is certainly very good.
He has to be good at this. He is selling his ideas everyday to a group of professional cricketers. Just try asking a bowler to change his grip or action or run up and see how they react to this idea. A good coach is someone who has the skills and knows the art of selling his skills. And many of us had to pay a large chunk of money to learn the salesmanship skill in a business school!
Old February 8, 2011, 10:16 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Quote:
Ryad and Razzer are the ones who seems to get the most spin and drift. If the seam position is right the two factors are related. In international cricket it isn't so much the spin that defeats batsmen but flight and drift. That's because batsmen are deciding on the shot based on the flight of the ball.

With regard to an extension, any contract negotiation should be just that, a negotiation. My contract here is a short-term one (6 months) but there are other factors now at play because there are other vacancies and opportunities in the world too.

We have risen to 8th in the world now above the West Indies as a DIRECT RESULT of the NZ and Zimbabwe series wins. That makes the work we are doing here massively valuable and something that most countries would wish to harness.

It is up to others to decide if they want that to continue.
I think its pretty obvious that greener pastures await coach Pont beyond the horizon....therefore the window might have shut already....
Old February 8, 2011, 11:59 PM
Banned

i think either coach can answer this- does powerbalance bracelets actually work?

thanks coach.
Old February 9, 2011, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deshprem
i think either coach can answer this- does powerbalance bracelets actually work?

thanks coach.
Not for me no. They actually make me feel sick! But others swear by them because they work on the electromagnetic field in the human body.
Old February 9, 2011, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket_pagol
What made you say that?