facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old February 6, 2011, 01:23 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Ryan Ten Doescate

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon
that means when I will be watching BD batting live , I will hv to avoid refreshing the match thread as u will be the 1st one to post
lol looks like I'm the fastest in this forum!

Old February 6, 2011, 01:26 PM
Cricket Legend

i hope bangladesh thrash England, but hope England do well though against other teams
Old February 6, 2011, 01:38 PM
2019 WC Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Brian Lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by nahaz
Cook and Strauss can give England a solid start against Bangladesh. However, Cook shall be susceptible to the swinging ball, and Strauss can get out really early. Trott shall also be a big threat, holding onto one end early and hurting us if he stays past the 25 over mark.
I thought Cook wasnt even in the worldcup squad... has he played in Australia ODIs?
Old February 6, 2011, 02:30 PM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib, Mash, Tamim

Quote:
A lot of Banglacricket die-hards are hoping, and some expecting, a win against West Indies to take us to the quarter finals. I am surprised to not spot anyone tip us to beat England. I will make a case here as to why England is the 2nd best bet to topple a top 8 team ( or as the 2nd top 8 team to topple) and help make it to the semis.

England has just retained the Ashes in style. However, many forget they are the No.5 ODI team. They just concluded the ODI series tonight against Australia with a 6-1 defeat, which is bound to re-create doubts in their mind as to what their Wold Cup chances are. Now let us look at some particular aspects of the England team, their game and how it compares to hosts Bangladesh on March 11.

The English batting has recently been lacklustre. Trott, Cook and Strauss are their three best batsmen with Collingwood following them. Cook and Strauss can give England a solid start against Bangladesh. However, Cook shall be susceptible to the swinging ball, and Strauss can get out really early. Trott shall also be a big threat, holding onto one end early and hurting us if he stays past the 25 over mark.

After the top 3 however, England have Pietersen, who is hit-and-miss, and he struggles against Razzak. Eoin Morgan is another player who on his day is great but is still finding his feet in international cricket. Collingwood and Prior are good players, and can hurt us late in the game. However, any all-rounder England throws at us is almost guaranteed to be mediocre in batting. They would choke against our spin bowling, and only Swann in the late order can hit against our spinners. One other thing is English batsmen even struggled against the decent but unspectacula Dave Hussey and Steve Smith, both about the same level as Riyad. Imagine how much they might struggle against Shakib and Razzak on the Bangladeshi wicket.

In bowling, their strength has always been their pace bowling. However, once outside England and away from favourable conditions, their bowlers can struggle. This was demonstraed in Bangaldesh last year. An interesting outcome of the Australia series also was the long list of injuries. There is real concern from the English camp that Bresnan will be out. Shahzad, Swann, Broad, Tremlett and Collingwood are all recovering from injuries. Swann will however be the most troublesome bowler for England; however, I assume the Bangladeshis have an idea of how to tackle him by now. One other thing is dew could come in handy for the English.

The 7-match one day series between England and Australia on back of a 5-match Ashes series is bound to affect the fatigue level of players. It is a pity that the games are not being played in summer, when the English players would have been suffering from heat cramps etc.

The Bangladeshi players will no doubt target this game, with opportunity to go to the next round if they win this game, having already played Ireland and Windies. Tamim Iqbal will be licking his lips having found his favourite bowling attack at his mercy on his home ground at Chittagong. The surface may be sluggish, and this will no doubt help our spinners and cause endless trouble to the English batsmen. I expect/hope Razzak, Shakib and Tamim to win us this game with help from Shafi, Rubel and Imrul.

Probability of a Bangladeshi win: 40%.
I totally agree with you. There's every chance for us to beat them in our own backyard...we just need to be at our best, and spinners have to dominate all the way which will have a significant effect on the result.

I wouldn't say BD has got a good bit of chance to beat India....but I would definitely imagine, they have hell lot of chances to beat the other 5 teams of the group. Ire, Ned, WI, Eng, SA.....honestly, each and everyone of them should struggle big time against our spin attack! We should clinch at least 4 wins out of these 5 matches so that our fate of playing in the QFs doesn't hang on the net run rate issues.

I hope things will work out in the right way for us Inshallah
Old February 6, 2011, 02:32 PM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadukor
I thought Cook wasnt even in the worldcup squad... has he played in Australia ODIs?
I don't think so either. Prior was Strauss's opening partner in the AUS series, and I think Cook hasn't made it to the WC squad as well.
Old February 6, 2011, 02:33 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Favorite Player: bhujee kom

Target: April 3rd (Day after the World Cup Final) Tigers will be arriving back from Mumbai with World Cup in their hand.

Book your ticket to watch them at Dhaka Airport.
Old February 6, 2011, 02:46 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Ryan Ten Doescate

http://www.thedailystar.net/newDesig...php?nid=173101
Bangladesh cricket team for the upcoming world cup seems to be a balanced one, although there are mixed opinions and agitations for not including the best pacer of the country Mashrafe Bin Mortaza. There is no denying the fact that Mashrafe is an asset for the team, but one must be fit to play.

Irrespective of all the disagreements, it is to be noted that the recent performance of our national cricket team has been remarkable.

The entire team is young, energetic and passionate. Our current national team has been showing greater skills and has won many matches including whitewashing strong opponent like New Zealand.

It appears that our national cricket team is following the statement 'Success is all about the consistency around the fundamentals'. In terms of batting, bowling and fielding we are obviously more mature and watchful than ever before.

We believe that day is not too far away when the Tigers would surprise the people of the entire world by winning the world cup.
Old February 7, 2011, 07:53 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: An honest player; a trier

Quote:
Originally Posted by irampool
I don't think so either. Prior was Strauss's opening partner in the AUS series, and I think Cook hasn't made it to the WC squad as well.
Cook's not playing? that's wonderful! We can get Prior out..Trott's the only worry at the top other than Strauss, and Colly the only middle order batsman to worry about. We definitely have a chance now.

Look, I'm not saying we'll win this, or that we have the right to expect it. I am pointing out reasons as to why this is the second best chance we got after Windies to beat a top 8 nation. We need more than just a win against Windies to go to finals for sure, with NRR equations.

It is also wrong to suddenly assume we should beat Windies just because we're no.8 and they're no.9. New Zealand was No.5 and we were no.9 two months back. West Indies are still a strong team, fighting hard in Lanka. But, if we want to play the finals, which I'm sure the boys do, we have to beleve we will beat them. Not can, but will. Then we will have to take every step necessary to beat them. Even if it mean diving forward for a catch when you don't know if the ball will land in front and then hit you in the face. Same attitude should go against England. Then the teams won't know what hit them.

Someone else said why the minnow mentiality of targetting countries. well, its hard to maintain the same intensity for every match, so we need to maek sure we are at the mental peak at the top level. Other thing is, differnt countries might inpiration for different countries. (eg Tamim for India, England; Ash for South Africa, England; Imrul for Holland, Ireland; Riyad for Windies; Shakib for every damn team ever to face him).

I'm trying to inspire you guys to think of more options than just WIndies and East Indies/ India. We can very well beat South Africa too, and its not just because every team has a minimal chance. Look at our strengths in every departmetn, and you'll see why. We're not uni-dimensional anymore...
Old February 7, 2011, 09:31 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: tamim,shafiul,mushy

our bowlers main target from the english lineup should be trott.crease e namle superglue diye mone hoy keu ore atkay dey !!!
Old February 7, 2011, 10:04 AM
2019 WC Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Brian Lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamisa
our bowlers main target from the english lineup should be trott.crease e namle superglue diye mone hoy keu ore atkay dey !!!
yep... Razzak ar shakib er strangulation spells or oi obosthai korbe... saw what david hussey did to them... our spinners are waayyy better....
Old February 7, 2011, 10:18 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Taskin Ahmed - TazKing

One word..... FATIGUE.... and also let's have a look at a small part of the history when these 2 sides met

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zs6olVXs6pE
Old February 7, 2011, 10:39 AM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banglaguy
Firstly, we are now ranked higher than WI, so we are expected to beat them...
Well, not necessarily.....Teams which are very close to each other in terms of points should be equally matched and therefore there is a 50-50 chance of any one team winning.

On the other hand BD's recent form is way better than WI and therefore we are expected to beat them.

Anyhow, by stronger teams I meant teams with test status.....
Old February 7, 2011, 10:45 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Tendulkar & Ash

Morgan's highest score is 30 in his lastest 6 innings against Austraila. So even he will be in english squad that will not gonna make any difference against BD. BTW morgan is not Tendulkar or MJ Clarke.
I think BD has more chance to win against Eng than WI
Old February 7, 2011, 10:51 AM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
A lot of Banglacricket die-hards are hoping, and some expecting, a win against West Indies to take us to the quarter finals. I am surprised to not spot anyone tip us to beat England. I will make a case here as to why England is the 2nd best bet to topple a top 8 team ( or as the 2nd top 8 team to topple) and help make it to the semis.

England has just retained the Ashes in style. However, many forget they are the No.5 ODI team. They just concluded the ODI series tonight against Australia with a 6-1 defeat, which is bound to re-create doubts in their mind as to what their Wold Cup chances are. Now let us look at some particular aspects of the England team, their game and how it compares to hosts Bangladesh on March 11.

The English batting has recently been lacklustre. Trott, Cook and Strauss are their three best batsmen with Collingwood following them. Cook and Strauss can give England a solid start against Bangladesh. However, Cook shall be susceptible to the swinging ball, and Strauss can get out really early. Trott shall also be a big threat, holding onto one end early and hurting us if he stays past the 25 over mark.

After the top 3 however, England have Pietersen, who is hit-and-miss, and he struggles against Razzak. Eoin Morgan is another player who on his day is great but is still finding his feet in international cricket. Collingwood and Prior are good players, and can hurt us late in the game. However, any all-rounder England throws at us is almost guaranteed to be mediocre in batting. They would choke against our spin bowling, and only Swann in the late order can hit against our spinners. One other thing is English batsmen even struggled against the decent but unspectacula Dave Hussey and Steve Smith, both about the same level as Riyad. Imagine how much they might struggle against Shakib and Razzak on the Bangladeshi wicket.

In bowling, their strength has always been their pace bowling. However, once outside England and away from favourable conditions, their bowlers can struggle. This was demonstraed in Bangaldesh last year. An interesting outcome of the Australia series also was the long list of injuries. There is real concern from the English camp that Bresnan will be out. Shahzad, Swann, Broad, Tremlett and Collingwood are all recovering from injuries. Swann will however be the most troublesome bowler for England; however, I assume the Bangladeshis have an idea of how to tackle him by now. One other thing is dew could come in handy for the English.

The 7-match one day series between England and Australia on back of a 5-match Ashes series is bound to affect the fatigue level of players. It is a pity that the games are not being played in summer, when the English players would have been suffering from heat cramps etc.

The Bangladeshi players will no doubt target this game, with opportunity to go to the next round if they win this game, having already played Ireland and Windies. Tamim Iqbal will be licking his lips having found his favourite bowling attack at his mercy on his home ground at Chittagong. The surface may be sluggish, and this will no doubt help our spinners and cause endless trouble to the English batsmen. I expect/hope Razzak, Shakib and Tamim to win us this game with help from Shafi, Rubel and Imrul.

Probability of a Bangladeshi win: 40%.
I would up the probability to at about 60%. Simply because the match will be played at Chittagong ....Two important factors will kick in. 1) Tamim's homeground and 2) The help for the spinners from the slow and sluggish Chittagong pitch.
Old March 11, 2011, 03:23 PM
Test Cricketer

Hahahaha....

See! I correctly predicted this in public more than a month ago! With valid reasons about their weaknesses, all shown today.

I actually was about to say it around the time they won the Ashes, but back then it was more of a 6th sense thing.

Thank you to all our bowlers that made this win possible. Thanks to Shafi for keeping such a calm head and backing himself up with stunning results. One of the best ever batting by a no. 10 at a World Cup match. Congrats to Tamim, Imrul and Riyad for playing their part.
Old March 11, 2011, 03:24 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

So what's your prediction for the game against the Netherlands? Or even better South Africa?
Old March 11, 2011, 03:34 PM
Test Cricketer

Netherlands we're definitely winning against.

South Africa..my heart says we'll win...all this adrenaline rush by the players. If we get a good start batting or bowling, the saffers won't know what hit them. Then again, I'm in an adrenaline rush right now, so how clear can my thinking be?

Right now, I believe
Old March 11, 2011, 03:38 PM
Test Cricketer

If we can win today, then we'll ease past the dutch and the saffers! Inshallah
Old March 11, 2011, 03:57 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsifTheManRahman
So what's your prediction for the game against the Netherlands? Or even better South Africa?
Touch call...Netherlands playing good consistently on the other hand we had few great moments and match wining performances against Ire and Eng and worse like with WI. It can happen both ways, like it did after our victory against IRE, we were so pumped up and then again WI incidence. But I think whatever worked today for the boys, they should think the same way when they face against Dutches.

SA impossible to predict but I doubt we can beat them as they have one of the best teams in this tournament. But if they choke and if they keep our head cool another March 11 history might be created.
Old March 11, 2011, 04:01 PM
Cricket Sage

Mission Accomplished. Target Netherlands thread khula hoise?

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (iPhone)
Old March 11, 2011, 05:07 PM
Cricket Legend

You are a STAR! Can you open two more for both SA and NL?
Old March 11, 2011, 06:17 PM
Test Cricketer

NAHAZ is sexy
Old March 11, 2011, 10:43 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Curtly Ambrose

congratz ....
Old March 12, 2011, 01:35 AM
Cricket Legend

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-12669308

After this ominous event earlier in the week, I had no doubt we would win against the 3 lions
Old March 12, 2011, 02:05 AM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banglatiger84
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-12669308

After this ominous event earlier in the week, I had no doubt we would win against the 3 lions
: floor: