facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old February 14, 2004, 02:21 PM
Retired BC Admin

Default Winning start the key

Bangladesh open their 5th ICC U/19 Cricket World Cup campaign with a crunch Group C game against New Zealand today fully aware that a win will give them an enormous advantage in the quest for a so far elusive Super League berth.

The much-anticipated clash is scheduled to start at the Bangabandhu National Stadium at 9am. Although there was a daylong strike called by the main opposition Awami League, the two teams had their last practice at the match venue yesterday amid tight security.

Bangladesh has never managed to qualify for the Cup competition in the previous four U/19 World Cups and had to be satisfied with playing in the Plate phase which is designed for the bottom placed teams.

Cup contenders India are the firm favourites to top the group which leaves the hosts and the junior Black Caps fighting for the other Super League slot. ICC associates members Scotland complete the quartet.

"We are keen to get a solid start in the tournament. After taking some good preparation, this first match is very important for us but I don't want to think too much about moving into the Cup stage or anything," said Bangladesh coach Richard McInnes.

The hosts s led by Ashiqur Rahman, have the most number of full internationals in their squadamong all competing teams.

Fast bowler Talha Jubair and left-arm spinner Enamul Haque Junior are already Test caps. Former skipper and opener Nafees Iqbal has appeared in two one-day internationals. But McInnes preferred to keep a lid on the supposed advantage factor.

"We don't think we are favorites in the match at all. The experience of two or three international matches doesn't make a difference as the first class cricket structure here is not a standard one especially in comparison to what they have in New Zealand," said McInnes.

But his counterpart Dayle Hadlee without hesitation placed Bangladesh as the superior of the two.

"Bangladesh are stronger because none of our players play first class cricket. But that is also a real challenge for our talented players. The match is important and critical for both sides to keep alive hopes for the Super League" said Hadlee who is the elder brother of legendary fast bowler Richard Hadlee.

While Bangladesh completed their warm-ups with five consecutive wins, the New Zealanders were stunned in their first match by the trainees of the country's premier sports institute BKSP. Hadlee believes that loss has made the side stronger.

"I must tell you that the young BKSP guys are very talented. That match helped us to correct our mistakes. We have totally adapted to the conditions here and are more confident after winning the second practice match." The coach's only worry was with his spinners but he expected his pacers and quality fielding to make a mark. New Zealand skipper Daniel Flynn was looking forward to experience firsthand the charged-up atmosphere at the BNS.

"I am actually excited about the prospect of playing infront of a huge crowd tomorrow because I know that people in this country are very passionate about the game," said Flynn.

Bangladesh will be keeping their fingers crossed about paceman Talha who will have a fitness test in the morning to assess whether his hamstring injury had healed sufficiently for playing.

Source: The Daily Star
Old February 14, 2004, 02:41 PM
Banned

Talha is injured with a hamstring injury. Is he cleared to play the first match? Anyone?
Old February 14, 2004, 03:44 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sangakkara

Quote:

"...this first match is very important for us but I don't want to think too much about moving into the Cup stage or anything," said Bangladesh coach Richard McInnes.

"We don't think we are favorites in the match at all. The experience of two or three international matches doesn't make a difference as the first class cricket structure here is not a standard one especially in comparison to what they have in New Zealand," said McInnes
Don't you think these two statements are quite pessimistic by a coach to gun down the morals of his own team only a few hours before a match?

Why doesn't he have to think much about super league? Should he not be optimistic enough with his positive statements to boost up the morals and mental toughness of his own boys?

What kind of rubbish negetive approach and attitude is that? A total blurt!
Old February 14, 2004, 03:59 PM
Retired BC Admin

Everybody loves to go higher up I guess. He knows the strength and weakness of the teams. He knows better the ability and vulnerability of the team than anyone else do. Probably he doesn't want to raise the expectation early on, after all the team had miserable past.

Good observation though.
Old February 14, 2004, 04:38 PM
Test Cricketer

Default You guys are misunderstanding how non-Asians give interviews...

When a team manager or coach in the Western world says he is not thinking about the Super League, he's not thinking pessimistically. He's just saying that we shouldn't get ahead of ourselves. We have work to do before getting to the Super League, i.e. beat NZ, beat Scotland, beat India. McInnes is a professional through and through, and he's thinking like one, and he gives interviews like one. He's thinking from match to match.

Bangladeshis, on the other hand, would say something like, 'we should get into the Super League without any problems, after all, we have 3 players who've played at the highest level, and we're strong contenders for title." Now that's a bull$hit statement. Because they'll only live to regret saying that later...

I see no problems with what McInnes said. It was very professional.
Old February 14, 2004, 06:28 PM
Club Cricketer

I fully agree with Shubho. The coach only wants the lads to take it one game at a time and not get caught up in the pressure of playing at home.

Can anyone tell me how we can follow this match over the net????
Old February 14, 2004, 07:45 PM
Cricket Legend

I was thinking, does Bangla Betha broadcast cricket at all?
Old February 14, 2004, 09:21 PM
Cricket Legend

I agree with Shubho as well. Brash statements aren't going to get us anywhere. Telling the players that they are going to win the tournament isn't the way to boost morale. It just makes them complacent. What Bangladeshi players need more than anything is to focus on the job at hand, which is what we always forget to do. Thats our problem, always get too caught up in the big picture to concentrate on what needs to be done to get there. I like this guy McInnes. I like the fact that he is a cocky b*stard. I like the fact that he makes every player dive into icy cold water everyday, I like the fact that he makes them sing the national anthem everyday. The biggest boost to morale will be if we can beat NZ tomorrow. It will far outweigh some stupid statement made by the coach to the media. Its not that the coach is being cautious because he knows the strength and weaknesses of the players, or that he doesn't want to raise expectation. He is just making sure that his team keep their eye on the ball.
Old February 14, 2004, 09:40 PM
Retired BC Admin

Good to see the beautiful and ever interesting disections. Now, the more I think of the comment the more I become confident of it's meaning. I think he was cautious not to raise expectation too much too early and want to concentrate on the job at hand as the come by.
Old February 15, 2004, 12:19 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Quote:
Originally posted by chinaman
Good to see the beautiful and ever interesting disections. Now, the more I think of the comment the more I become confident of it's meaning. I think he was cautious not to raise expectation too much too early and want to concentrate on the job at hand as the come by.
.. but there has been criticisms n controvercies all around about the team's coaching this time.. i get a feeling tht the spirit that our team is attaining can be credited to the players more..!!
lets just hope tht the spirit kieep high up!!
anyone got any clue for live scorecards??
Old February 15, 2004, 01:21 AM
Test Cricketer

think the bengali media came down a little too hard on our coach. all the reporters are picking up on any thing like a rattle snake biting its prey. think our media needs to be more optimistic.

good luck to BD!!
Old February 15, 2004, 01:31 AM
Cricket Legend

when I hear 5 bangladeshis lounging around, sipping cha, and bad-mouthing someone's good efforts, I usually know that the person they are bad-mouthing is doing a damn good job! it doesn't matter whether those 5 deshis are media reporters, insane politicians, dawat-and-do-nothing expatriates, or cricket lovers on banglacricket.com.
Old February 15, 2004, 05:21 AM
Club Cricketer

So we are actually getting the score update. That's cool.
Old February 15, 2004, 05:47 AM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Development

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

Unfortunately we lost the key
Old February 15, 2004, 07:02 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Quote:
Originally posted by shovon13
think the bengali media came down a little too hard on our coach. all the reporters are picking up on any thing like a rattle snake biting its prey. think our media needs to be more optimistic.

good luck to BD!!
r u sure?!
Old February 15, 2004, 09:27 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sangakkara

Now I'd love to read what Mr. Richard McInnes says to press after the post-match interview. Well it's a good tricky game though...being defensive with a negetive approach prior to a match, so that when you loose, you would not be blamed that much.