facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old February 20, 2011, 03:58 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Curtly Ambrose
Thumbs up Tamim 2.0

its a long time we have been comparing Tamim Iqbal with Virender Sehwag. the style and agression of their play has a lot of similarity. their blazing start to innings and then an untimely out when team needed them to stay and carry on have been features of both of their game. and also the way they tends to speak about their approach and attitude when they bat in the middle. both have always been saying they know only one kind of game and that is to attack. they also used to say that they can be only successful playing that one system. if they are successful or not they will continue the same way and both of them had had their success in the midst of some disappointments.

BUT recently sehwag told he is gonna change his approache a bit in ODI's where he would look to bat longer in ODI's which reporters have named Sehwag 2.0. and in the first day of his new version we have seen a Sehwag 2.0 smashing 175. it was a successful start to sehwags Version 2.0

but also Did we saw a similar approach from Tamim yesterday too ??? it looked like tamim was trying to adopt a similar approach to sehwag by trying to stay in the crease and longer his innings. though tamim did not told anything like sehwag mentioned in the press is Tamim actually thinking of changing his game too ???

perhaps yesterday was not the ideal day for tamim to change his approach but who knows ? perhaps if tamim tried to attack and got out then we could have got a lower score. perhaps tamim intention to stay longer was the reason we got the relatively bigger partnerships at the top.

this was not the first time actually tamim has played like this. if u remember his century agaisnt england in the 1st odi at SBNS last year ... it was a similar innings. tamim blazed away to 30s, but then lost imrul and zunaed in quick succession .... and that day tamim played a long innings trying to stay in the wicket for long time and build while wickets are falling on the other hand . tamim eventually got out in the 43-44 over when batting PP was taken.

i think like sehwag, a tamim 2.0 can be beneficial to bangladesh cricket but now major problem lies in finishing the innings not starting the innings. whichever role tamim plays we are not applying the finish well.

anyway i think tamim is thinking about his approach of changing his game and play with more responsibility and play longer innings and thus build more partnerships at the top for BD. even if he is not thinking he can look at sehwag and consider thinking of a tamim 2.0
Old February 20, 2011, 04:09 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Taskin Ahmed - TazKing

imagine if kayes hits out like yesterday.... zunaid plays like he usually does followed by sakib.... the top 4 batsmen of our team can qualify as one of the strongest top order..... my only worry with batting is the lower order which has mushfique, roqibul, mahmudullah and naeem. They all take time to settle apparently and not one of them have used the powerplay to advantage for as long as the memory serves.
Old February 20, 2011, 04:19 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shk/Mus/Momi/Nas/Mas/Rub

I was very surprised both by Tamim and Imrul's approach, they played really wonderfully.. the shots the way they played just classics. Unfortunate for both of them that they got out with out of luck, if u look at Indian innings so many time ball passed closed to stump after dragging from the bat but never hit the stumps, Sehwag chipped lots of time in the air but ball never found fielders, But opposite happened to our batsman !!
Old February 20, 2011, 04:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanvir_nus
imagine if kayes hits out like yesterday.... zunaid plays like he usually does followed by sakib.... the top 4 batsmen of our team can qualify as one of the strongest top order..... my only worry with batting is the lower order which has mushfique, roqibul, mahmudullah and naeem. They all take time to settle apparently and not one of them have used the powerplay to advantage for as long as the memory serves.
So what is it? one day the in consensus here on BC that BD is a better bowling unit and other times a better batting unit. The role seem to change after every other games. This sort of flipping around is damaging team strategy.
Old February 20, 2011, 04:53 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Tamim has been in a phase of transformation for almost a year now..which has already given him a memorable year 2010..with lot more longer innings than before. He is probably playing with a slower strike rate in this world cup (as was in the first match) because he declared prior to the WC that he wants to be among the highest scorers. His amount of runs had already improved in the last months. At this moment, as it seems, his SR has started to suffer because of his goal of being a top-scorer. He has to rediscover the balance somehow...
Old February 20, 2011, 05:04 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: All the Tigers

NI don't think its the case. Tamim was having trouble middling the ball initially. He could hardly time the ball perfectly and most of his attempted drives took thick edge and went to third man. After imrul's wicket he decided not to go for big shots and tried to take singles and build up his inning. Actually when he was at 40 then only that sweet sound of middling the ball started coming out of his bat. It wasn't his day for sure but he fought hard and got the reward. I would rate this as one of his best innings.

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Android)
Old February 20, 2011, 05:08 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sakib,KP,Steyn

Kayes skipped Kayes 2.0, Kayes 3.0, Kayes 4.0, Kayes 5.0...to go straight Kayes 20.0. He was quite successful too.
Old February 20, 2011, 05:37 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Ash,Tamim, Rahim,Sakib

I feel that Tamim is trying to stay at the crease for at least half of the match to give the side some stability. It is a good strategy because he can score at least 75 runs. I was surprised at Imrul's approach, but good that they are trying to give the team a good start. The middle batting tried, but the bottom including Naeem and Riyad very useless.
Old February 20, 2011, 06:59 AM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Tamim Iqbal Khan

I am sorry....but I don't agree with all of you....it may be it just wasn't Tamim's day yesterday....that's what I feel.

I was there watching the match, live, and I have tosay that I really liked Imrul's approach yesterday...when India scored 370....I had very little hope left within me....but Imrul's fantastic start made me very hopeful again....Tamim went rather slow....maybe he tried to make his innings long...but frankly he wasted a lot of balls which he shouldn't have in such a big-scoring match. I know that the ground was wet and hitting boundaries every now and then would be really difficult, but then again I didn't see much of 4s and 6s. Besides, I don't want Tamim to change his batting style at all...even though he played in a rather careless way in a very few occasions, hitting without thinking and then getting out, but I think he is the best in that way. He should remain aggressive, the way he is....I felt that it wasn't his day yesterday....but I am not at all worried about that...because I trust him and believe that if not in the next match then in the match after that, he will be able to make a wonderful come......NO MATTER WHAT HAPPENS TAMIM, YOU ARE STILL MY HERO!
Old February 20, 2011, 07:05 AM
Cricket Legend

tamim shall show no mercy to the irsh bowlers on friday

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (1)
Old February 20, 2011, 07:11 AM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Tamim Iqbal Khan

Quote:
Originally Posted by revolver
tamim shall show no mercy to the irsh bowlers on friday

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (1)
Inshallah! GO TAMIM GO!!!
Old February 20, 2011, 07:51 AM
Cricket Legend

Tamim looked more tired than anything. From the moment he faced his first ball, he seemed drained. He was out on the field for a while so its understandable, but he definitely wasn't himself.

- Benjamin Franklin
Old February 20, 2011, 01:57 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: All the BD players

I think Tamim played the way he did mainly because he was struggling to time his shots. He's usually a pretty good player in rotating the strike but yesterday he played a lot of dot balls. He just seemed out of rhythm. But we really saw yesterday why Tamim is a class above our other batsmen besides Shakib. Despite him really struggling to time his shots he still did score an 86 ball 70 with a SR of an 81. That just shows how good of a player he is. If it was any of our other batsmen that scored an 86 ball 70, we would be giving them a pat on the back. He really is a fighter and does do whatever it takes to put us in a good position. Its great to have a player like Tamim. Not only is he talented but is mature and is so passionate. Let's hope he continues the good work and keeps on scoring well.

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Blackberry)
Old February 20, 2011, 02:15 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mahmudullah Riyad

Tamim was out of touch, he wasnt middling the ball or timing it very well, it was only after 40 runs, he started getting his timing right.

If anything it shows how good of a player he was, even when having a bad day, he scored 70 odd runs with a decent strike-rate. But there were too many dot balls, he still needs to learn to rotate the strike.

Imrul was really good, though he still needs to improve

Junaid seemed to be in very good touch (in terms of timing the ball well), however he needs to smarter player, especially playing against spin. He can get choked easily by a few overs of good spin bowling, which is disastrous chasing a big target.

Shakib met expectations, I hope he can go beyond them

Mushy met epectations, though I would wish, he would grow some muscle and hit more boundaries.

Rokibul proved again why he is a class act, with the best technical skills in our batting line-up, he effortlessly hit a six off munaf, handled indian bowlers really well.

Riyad still is having problem, he atleast tried to make one attacking shot, but failed. He was bowled a full ball, which happens to him many times. Guy needs to fix up, he has the ability, just needs the mindset, confidence and better technique blocking yorkers.

Naeem - Useless
Old February 20, 2011, 02:21 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: MAM & MBM

"This is how a team plan works. I wasn't having a good day. I wasn't timing the ball and was hitting the fielders. So there were two options for me.

"Either I could have hit out in that situation and got out, or I could stick around, making sure I ride out the tough moments. I caught up with the strike-rate in the end. Sachin Tendulkar came to our dressing room last year and told us this exact same thing.

"When the going gets tough, you have to stick around and then again, there will be days when everything you hit will be fours and sixes. I spoke to him this morning and he said he was impressed," explained Tamim.
http://www.thedailystar.net/newDesig...php?nid=174860
Old February 20, 2011, 02:22 PM
Cricket Legend

http://www.thedailystar.net/newDesig...php?nid=174860

Quote:
"This is how a team plan works. I wasn't having a good day. I wasn't timing the ball and was hitting the fielders. So there were two options for me.

"Either I could have hit out in that situation and got out, or I could stick around, making sure I ride out the tough moments. I caught up with the strike-rate in the end. Sachin Tendulkar came to our dressing room last year and told us this exact same thing.

"When the going gets tough, you have to stick around and then again, there will be days when everything you hit will be fours and sixes. I spoke to him this morning and he said he was impressed," explained Tamim
That should explain it.
Old February 20, 2011, 02:22 PM
Cricket Legend

Seems like Murad got there first, beating me by a second .
Old February 20, 2011, 02:26 PM
Administrator
Operations & Administrations

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

When I saw Tamim bat the way he did this match, I thought, oh ok, so that's how he wants to be this world cup's highest run scorer! His announcement and actions match...
Old February 20, 2011, 02:27 PM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Sachin, Nannu, Tamim

I would like to see Tamim 2.0. He is our best batsman and he should play as many balls as possible. If can can rotate the strikes in the middle overs and stay until the later part of the innings, he has the shots to accelerate. I would like him to be more like Sachin than to Shewag.

And on a side note: Take ashraful in place of Mahmudullah/Nayeem. He will atleast play 3 balls and score a boundary.
Old February 21, 2011, 01:09 AM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: MS.Dhoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by sujon
I would like to see Tamim 2.0. He is our best batsman and he should play as many balls as possible. If can can rotate the strikes in the middle overs and stay until the later part of the innings, he has the shots to accelerate. I would like him to be more like Sachin than to Shewag.

And on a side note: Take ashraful in place of Mahmudullah/Nayeem. He will atleast play 3 balls and score a boundary.
Finally someone understood; Sehwag is great batsman but Sachin is the best template any kid,rookie or professional cricketer can follow.

Tamim played well considering the fact he wasn't timing well, I don't understand the fuss about the dot balls he faced(as if it was all pre-planned)
Old February 21, 2011, 10:00 AM
Banned

Default India game behind us, says Tamim

Cricinfo
Sidharth Monga in Dhaka
February 21, 2011

Tamim Iqbal says that Bangladesh have put behind them the defeat against India in the World Cup opener, and are feeling good about their chances of making it to the quarter-finals. After a week of frenzied anticipation, Bangladesh went down to India in a disappointing manner, especially with the ball letting India to score 370 runs.

However, Tamim said, "We are not thinking about the India match at all. We still have five matches left, and we are looking ahead. Today's practice I feel was the best session we had in the last one-and-a-half months. Everybody was enjoying, and we were all very relaxed. We are now totally focused on the Ireland match. As a player I am very satisfied about how it went today."

As a player in the first game, though, Tamim struggled, and was the face of Bangladeshi surrender after the first two wickets fell. It was as if Bangladesh had decided early on in their innings that 370 was too much, and they would not even go for it. Before that happened, though, Imrul Kayes, usually the anchor to Tamims pyrotechnics, started aggressively, scoring 34 off 29. Tamim spoke about both the innings.

"The way Imrul struck the ball against India has been a huge benefit for the team," Tamim said. "I think if Imrul can play like that he can take his game to the next level. As for my innings I was not timing the ball well. Somehow the ball was not coming on to the bat that well. So I thought not to throw the wicket and hang in there. One thing I believe is that even if I play 20-30 balls more, I am capable of recovering my strike-rate later.

"Three-hundred-and-seventy-one was a huge target to chase. I thought if we got them somewhere around the 300 to 310 mark, we could have made a match out of it, considering their bowling attack and our bowling strength."

In one way perhaps, Bangladesh take confidence from having reached close to 300, for not every team will set them 371 to chase, and their bowlers are also expected to improve and be more effective against non-subcontinent sides. One of those teams will be Ireland, who have beaten them in the World Cups of both limited-overs formats.

"Against Ireland we have plans for each and every player in their side," Tamim said. "We have played quite a few matches against them, and its the same set of players they have got. We know their strengths and weaknesses. If we can execute our plans we will definitely win." Three of those quite a few matches against Ireland have come at home for Bangladesh, and they have won all three, which will give them heart.

Tamim, though, said there was no room for complacency. "In the World Cup there are no easy matches," he said. "You cannot relax. The moment you take something lightly you stand a chance of losing. We will approach all the matches the same way, similar to the way we approached the India match."

Bangladesh know that progress to the next round will only be possible if they beat both Ireland and Netherlands, apart from beating one of Test-playing teams in their group. A loss against Ireland can knock Bangladesh out. "If you take pressure, there are a lot of pressures," Tamim said, "[But] the boys are mentally very tough, and they are ready. We know we have to play our best if we want to beat any team we play against, whether it's South Africa or whether it's Ireland."

Posted via BC Mobile Edition
Old February 21, 2011, 12:11 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Shakib, Nasir

I was loving the way Imrul played the other day and got shocked to see when Imrul was 20 or so, Tamim was on 0 off 9 balls - lol - table has turned?
Old February 21, 2011, 01:00 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Nasir Hossain

Tamim had the right approach. History has it that a great batsman wasnt someone who could play numerous classy shot with a 100+ SR but one who can adapt to the situation. His innings was exactly what the doc ordered.

P.S this would actually be Tamim 3.0
1.0 was since his debut where we was going a la aftab.
2.0 last year where he was aggressive and gave quick starts but more than often failed to convert those starts to big ones.
now this WC and from now on should be the goal for him to play bigger and mightier innings. This guy can take his SR up any given time which is not a problem. We need him to stay on that damn crease for as long as he can.
Old February 21, 2011, 03:34 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Tam,Sak,Nasa,Mash

As Tamim said he wasn't getting the balls in his areas so he wasn't able to play the way he does,for that reason Imrul was given instrction to play a cameo which he did pretty well but I want Imrul to be Imrul & Tamim to be Tamim.
Imrul's shots were not all too convincing,got a bit lucky,but ya if he can improve his strike rate a bit I'm happy,but we don't need him to play rush shots & play little cameos like these.