facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old February 22, 2011, 08:28 AM
ODI Cricketer

Default Are we still a Minnow?

I dont think we are.

We are well above the non-icc members and even WI who arnt considered to be minnows yet some how we are labelled like that irrespective of our improvments and achievements in the last 12 months.

is that fair?

Old February 22, 2011, 08:35 AM

Favorite Player: Mash

No it isn't fair..but we should let our bat and ball talk..a good performance in the WC would shut many of the critics..but if after that we dont show consistency then the sharks will come back..

so consistency is the key..untill we show that..we'll have to shut up when other people call us minnows
Old February 22, 2011, 08:37 AM
Administrator
Operations & Administrations

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

We are trying to win this thing and you are still wondering if we are dudh vaat!!!

Wake up dude...
Old February 22, 2011, 08:44 AM
ODI Cricketer

We can think whatever in our head but if people don't percieve us that way then does it matter?
Old February 22, 2011, 08:45 AM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Freddie Flintoff

It pains me when some pundits still mention the phrase "Zimbabwe and Bangladesh" as if we belong to the same category as the Zimbabweans.
Old February 22, 2011, 08:55 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Shakib, Mashrafe

Both Ravi Shastri and Manjekar were repeatedly mentioning Bangladesh and Zimbabwe as minnows and trying to convince Mike Atherton and Nasser Hussein that the progress of Bangladesh was mainly due to home condition as we played most of our games in home. How irony !? One hand, ICC is not letting us to play abroad and yet, when we beat bigger teams in our home, they do not recognize it !!!!
Old February 22, 2011, 09:01 AM
Administrator
Operations & Administrations

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

You can not control what someone else thinks. Does not matter how much you try, I know Bangladesh team can beat any team, thus can win this world cup, even if they don't even make it to the QF.

Same way, even if Bangladesh wins the world cup, someone can/may/will still think we are the same level as Namibia. Who cares!!!

To each his own.
Old February 22, 2011, 09:13 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Lara

Manju was saying we are over rated. So, white-washing NZ is a fluke! You know how much value you should put on the opinions of retards like him.

After watching the Ned innings, I am sure we have a very good chance against England. We can finish 2nd/3rd in the group if we play to our potential.
Old February 22, 2011, 09:14 AM
Street Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naimul_Hd
Both Ravi Shastri and Manjekar were repeatedly mentioning Bangladesh and Zimbabwe as minnows and trying to convince Mike Atherton and Nasser Hussein that the progress of Bangladesh was mainly due to home condition as we played most of our games in home. How irony !? One hand, ICC is not letting us to play abroad and yet, when we beat bigger teams in our home, they do not recognize it !!!!
These two, especially Sanju, are known for strong arguments. In Indian cricket, just a couple of months ago, Sanju commented that Virat Kohli is not good enough. And both of them expressed repeatedly that Ganguly is overrated and doesn't deserve a chance in the Indian team since the Greg Chappel times.

Speaking about minnows, BD is a test playing nation, isn't it? That should stop the debate. Minnow is an adjective used for lower graded associate member teams like Kenya or Canada.

BD may not be in the same league as India, Australia and South Africa, but then, even NZ and WI are not in the same league as the big three. BD is somewhere in the same league of NZ and WI today, among the test playing nations, while countries like England are somewhere in between (as per current form), that's it, isn't it?
Old February 22, 2011, 09:18 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Graeme Smith

Quote:
Well it was only recently that India became competent outside of their home conditions...

Anyways, we are not a minnow. we are part of the top 9 cricket teams. We may be in the bottom half for sure, but that doesn't make us a minnow.
Old February 22, 2011, 09:22 AM

Favorite Player: Innocent Bird

Quote:
Boycott is doing his usual slaughtering of Bangladesh.

Quote:
ICC is spending so much money on Bangladesh and I haven't seen any improvements in them in the last 10 years
source - BBC Radio Five Live Sports @ 14:05 22 Feb 2011

What is he - stupid or blind or both?
Quote:
Boycott is hillerius...

Quote:
ICC keep pouring money on Bangladesh like they never have on anyone else and they keep playing the wrong countries...
hello??? we beat England few months ago...

Quote:

From another thread; Thanks to Roni bhai.

Bocott ke bura boyoshe jine dorche naki?
Old February 22, 2011, 09:25 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Shakib, Mashrafe

Actually, calling us minnow does not make us Minnow rather it shows how much knowledge you possess in terms of current world cricket !
Old February 22, 2011, 09:30 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Aravinda DeSilva, Lara

Quote:
Actually, calling us minnow does not make us Minnow rather it shows how much knowledge you possess in terms of current world cricket !
agreed 100%.

don't mind me saying it but you guys give FAR more importance to people who talk for a living than they deserve.

think about it, these guys have to say new and more controversial things in order to earn a living, be confident of what BD cricket has achieved, $crew the naysayers.

to add to what sobuj said, when ganguly was selected for India's tour to Eng in 1996, shastri was ROTFLing in the press box at sharjah, when the news came in. saying 'rosogulla player' 'dalmiya's quota player' 'he will be a huge failure' and what not.
ganguly scored a 131 on debut at lords and another one in the next test and went on to become India's most succesful test captain and one of the best ODI batsman of all time.
shows you what shastri's reading of the game is, isn't it ?
Old February 22, 2011, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadim 98
From another thread; Thanks to Roni bhai.

Bocott ke bura boyoshe jine dorche naki?
he is seeing his mama!
Old February 22, 2011, 09:34 AM
Cricket Guru
BPL 2015 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Tamim, Mash

If we dont win regularly against top teams, then yes we are minnow. And the last time I checked the ranking we were in #8
Old February 22, 2011, 09:50 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: tamim,shafiul,mushy

manju used to be one of my favourite commies,now i don't even like him anymore!
Old February 22, 2011, 10:00 AM
Test Cricketer

YES WE ARE!!

We are a minnow so long as our opposition thinks we are. This is a subjective opinion and so there will obviously be bias. If you think by saying you are the greatest it will be so, you're only kidding yourself. When OTHER people tell you you are the greatest, that adds some validity.

I believe the Bangladesh team has only been turning the corner from Minnow to Real Competition only recently. I believe we are seeing it right now. But we have to prove it multiple times at home and abroad before we get rid of the minnow tag. Don't see it as derogatory. See it as a challenge.

To those who think we are not minnows - we lost to Ireland and the Netherlands not too long ago so be a little humble. No other test team has been able to repeat this "remarkable" feat for a while.
Old February 22, 2011, 10:10 AM

^what a post man!

it takes guts to post reality here!
Old February 22, 2011, 10:12 AM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aosaif
YES WE ARE!!

We are a minnow so long as our opposition thinks we are. This is a subjective opinion and so there will obviously be bias. If you think by saying you are the greatest it will be so, you're only kidding yourself. When OTHER people tell you you are the greatest, that adds some validity.

I believe the Bangladesh team has only been turning the corner from Minnow to Real Competition only recently. I believe we are seeing it right now. But we have to prove it multiple times at home and abroad before we get rid of the minnow tag. Don't see it as derogatory. See it as a challenge.

To those who think we are not minnows - we lost to Ireland and the Netherlands not too long ago so be a little humble. No other test team has been able to repeat this "remarkable" feat for a while.
I think you hit the nail here...
the problem is among all the new countries BD has been in the limelight for the longest.. .they have a great fan base following at home and Cricket is the most popular sports.. Players are professional, they are earning advertisement money. just like India and Pakistan... unlike other countries like Netherlands and Ireland where players are not so lucky .. have no money power backing them, less awareness among people of the country and have more popular sports in the public conscience (Soccer- Netherlands) ...
so people expectation from BD is much higher than any other associates..and so is the disappointment level
Old February 22, 2011, 10:17 AM
Cricket Sage

Are we still a Minnow?
It depends.... who you talk to.

Does it matter?
Not really ... as long as we don't play like Minnows.

On the othe hand if we play like minnos, it will eventually matter.
Old February 22, 2011, 10:21 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Nope.
Old February 22, 2011, 10:55 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

gotta agree with Fazal, there are differing definitions of what constitutes a minnow. its all relative.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old February 22, 2011, 10:59 AM
Club Cricketer

Favorite Player: The Player Who Can Play ;

Still we are ; Unless we beat England and West Indies ;
Old February 22, 2011, 11:16 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baundule
Manju was saying we are over rated. So, white-washing NZ is a fluke! You know how much value you should put on the opinions of retards like him.

After watching the Ned innings, I am sure we have a very good chance against England. We can finish 2nd/3rd in the group if we play to our potential.
1 off game can be a fluke but an entire series cant be. That Manju dude is just speaking out of his a$$. Haterz gonna hate.
Old February 22, 2011, 11:30 AM
Club Cricketer

Favorite Player: Ashraful Tamim,SharWardI

Dont worry bro there will b a time when bangladesh will call everyone a minnow to them as we will be too good for all

INSHA ALLH Bangladesh will do good in this wc