facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old March 19, 2011, 05:27 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Sakib,Tamim, Mashrafe

It does matter!! Its not only a game, In war and game there is nothing called only a....people will remind him who will be winner.

and someone said Bangladesh started test on 2000, played for 11 years....what about srilanka? they started only 18 years ago, and they are one of the best, even better than westindies and england who started 50 years ago than srilanka...its not about years...its about dedication and improving skills.
Old March 19, 2011, 06:04 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: James Bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZunaidH
How many middle-class families in Bangladesh do I know would allow their sons to play professional cricket? For me the answer is "none"?
I wonder about this all the time... how many potentially great players are we losing because of the general "you'll never make it, go for a real profession" attitude of the average BD parents. When I was in school, I knew lots of people (from several schools) who were quite good at cricket. None of them ever took it past the school level. Most of them went to study abroad and now live/work there.

But I think attitudes are changing nowadays... just a few weeks ago (when I was in BD), I heard my 77-year old uncle telling my cousin that he should put his 6-year old son in cricket school. All I ever got asked by my grandparents was "Do you want to be a doctor or engineer when you grow up?"
Old March 19, 2011, 06:11 PM
Street Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by goru

But I think attitudes are changing nowadays... just a few weeks ago (when I was in BD), I heard my 77-year old uncle telling my cousin that he should put his 6-year old son in cricket school. All I ever got asked by my grandparents was "Do you want to be a doctor or engineer when you grow up?"
This would probably be an issue in all the subcontinental teams, possibly to a lesser extent in Ind than the others, but nevertheless the probability that the genius players are never detected is always going to be around in this part of the world.
Old March 19, 2011, 06:40 PM
Club Cricketer

@ZunaidH hails brother.
Old March 19, 2011, 09:44 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

I like cricket.

And I am not gonna stop watching it just because my team lost a match.
Old March 19, 2011, 09:55 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tendulkar_Mcgrath
It does matter!! Its not only a game, In war and game there is nothing called only a....people will remind him who will be winner.

and someone said Bangladesh started test on 2000, played for 11 years....what about srilanka? they started only 18 years ago, and they are one of the best, even better than westindies and england who started 50 years ago than srilanka...its not about years...its about dedication and improving skills.

Sri Lanka first played international cricket in 1926. They got Test Status in 1981. If you consider their 1996 championship win that adds up to be 15 years. Given that timeline, do you think it is a fair request we touch base in 4 more years (i.e. next WC)?
Old March 19, 2011, 10:06 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naimul_Hd
What are you talking about ? Its WC. Our 11 represent us and the whole country. People now at least know the name of "Bangladesh" due to this Cricket and you are saying "no national pride at stake" ? Team is getting out 58, 78; the whole world is laughing at us and you find this only a game.

I disagree with this very first sentence. No need to read later paras. Sorry cant agree with your Top Post !
Naimul

humiliation of this magnitude is part of sport. If you did not know that I am sorry. Lets acknowledge that. National pride cannot be at stake for a loss regardless how bad it is. In some bigger events, in 1999, look at the Pakistan s loss to Australia in the finals or India s to Australia in 2003. You can argue on the magnitude of the loss but to me it is irrelevant - a loss is a loss and a win a win - margins do not matter. Folks that are laughing at us are just ignorant and probably havent checked their own nations cricket history. Hope that clarification helps you view my point from a different perspective.

In my opinion some examples of national pride at stake when

1) players get involved in match fixing (e.g. South Africans, Indians and Pakistanis in the early 2000s, Pakistanis recently etc.)
2) stoning the bus carrying players
etc.
Old March 19, 2011, 10:13 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by str8_drive
Zunaid , Buddy I doubt that you would be writing that had Bangla won. It's perfectly fine that fans are bitter and distraught; frankly they have every right to be. Don't care what the circumstances are there is no excuse for Bangla being bowled twice for under 100 AT HOME.
Fans are fans and facts are facts. I would have written and have been writing about these points for the past six years. In sports these things happen. And if you think I am wrong then look no further than history of India or Pakistan playing ODIs.
Old March 19, 2011, 10:36 PM
Club Cricketer

^But what that history or facts do not provide is context. 30s, 40s, 50s were a different era and it took a long while for India and Pakistan to develop the domestic structure. Also they did not have as much opportunity to play top class cricket. Since 80s we have seen advent of SL and Zimbabwe. SL became world champions in less 16 years of test status and Zimbabwe while not setting the world on fire at test level consistently still competing.

So, if you are saying that Bangladesh with all the opportunities it has with the infrastructure is same as India and Pak in 50s and 60s, not sure it is right way to go. Maybe you can argue that they were granted test status too early. Now, would have been a better time.
Old March 19, 2011, 10:52 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by paindu
^But what that history or facts do not provide is context. 30s, 40s, 50s were a different era and it took a long while for India and Pakistan to develop the domestic structure. Also they did not have as much opportunity to play top class cricket. Since 80s we have seen advent of SL and Zimbabwe. SL became world champions in less 16 years of test status and Zimbabwe while not setting the world on fire at test level consistently still competing.

So, if you are saying that Bangladesh with all the opportunities it has with the infrastructure is same as India and Pak in 50s and 60s, not sure it is right way to go. Maybe you can argue that they were granted test status too early. Now, would have been a better time.
I did not get your point clearly. Nowhere in this thread have I compared anything from the 50s or 60s of India or Pakistan. However, the notable points are:

1) Bangladesh have not reached the 16 years mark as yet, if your measuring stick is Sri Lanka. So let s do an apples to apples comparison in 4 years. For reference Sri Lanka played ODIs lot earlier than 1981. Almost started at the same time as India or Pakistan.

2) There was a certain point in history where Kenya and Zimbabwe (with English County experienced player) were considered at par with Bangladesh. We all know the difference in class. You can argue that those teams did not improve but the truth still remains that Bangladesh is still climbing the ODI ladder.

3) Granting Test Status could be viewed as a Chicken and Egg thing. Bangladesh would have benefited lot more had they been awarded test status in the 90s. Without Test Status, there s no money for the players and choosing to play cricket professionally in Bangladesh in that scenario is not rewarding (financially). After all, this is professional sport and the more money guarantees the best talent. Those who argue that Bangladesh got test status too early are simply ignorant about how professional sports work and are often prejudiced in their logic.

Hope that explains.
Old March 19, 2011, 11:12 PM
Cricket Legend

Its sounds about right that it's only a GAME! But if you are going to loose then atleast loose with some DIGNITY ... this was phetatic to the max.
Old March 19, 2011, 11:50 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: The Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZunaidH
Sri Lanka first played international cricket in 1926. They got Test Status in 1981. If you consider their 1996 championship win that adds up to be 15 years. Given that timeline, do you think it is a fair request we touch base in 4 more years (i.e. next WC)?
ah Classics!

You are so true, Sri Lanka took 15 yrs, we remember how they were in 1992 wc, putting up those fights, but won only two games in that world cup, against sa, and zim....and then in 1996, we know what happened....
and yes, i perfectly see u s growing at an optimum rate, at the rate i expect....and four years IS A LOT OF TIME........we'll have a GOOD team by then...cpable of delivering, and with a little but of fortune, a team that can even end up winning the world cup..remember folks, all teams required some of it to win the world cups or make it far in world cups.....pak had their eng game no result due to rain, made them win....other teams forfeited sl fixtures automatically giving them extra four points for qualifying in 96, and winning it.....kenya had their nz game forfetied, so they got two pints and made in to super six and eventually semis.....all teams had some fortune going their way...in our case, it was the chokers sa and the crappy windies thattried their best we cant qualify....and yes....even under these circumstances, i am proud that we kept our hopes alive till the last match..the boys deserve some credit for that!
Old March 20, 2011, 12:05 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

Cricket is not a religion in Bangladesh, it is much more than that. While religion and politics, especially the politics of religion divide us, cricket unites us all. We play this game at the highest level as a test playing nation and that fact alone gives us a glimpse of what's possible. Life is hard for most Bangladeshis and when we ponder the fact that we don't have a lot going for us because of a variety of reasons, hope and hope alone can keep us going and keep us centered spiritually. Cricket embodies that hope better than anything else. That's why we're so passionate about the game and that's why our passion will take us forward despite adversity and stagnation.

Sure sometimes we celebrate like there's no tomorrow, and vent our exasperation with equal abandon when things go horribly wrong, but we do sober up at the end of the day to try again tomorrow or the day after. That's us, that's our resilience and there's no need to be alarmed either way.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)
Old March 20, 2011, 05:58 AM
Street Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuge
Well ,this has nothing to with the performance in ODI
But wouldn't you agree that it has something to do with developing a cricket culture and improving the players' skills?