facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Closed Thread

Old May 7, 2011, 07:36 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Thumbs up Miandad can be an option

Miandad can be an option

Mohammad Isam

We have had all sorts so far. In the early nineties, Mohinder 'Jimmy' Amarnath made the players run up the newly-built 24-storied Sena Kalyan building in Motijheel but failed to win the ICC Trophy. After his walk-out, came a menacing Barbadian, a terror to fast bowlers and part of a cricketing dynasty.

He ended up in tears after the win over Holland in a do-or-die game.

After Gordon Greenidge's departure, Bangladesh cricket began the Test era with a genuine father figure in Eddie Barlow. But his reign was cut short by illness and was followed up by two coaches who were nothing more than cheapest bargains. BCB quickly made amends by hiring two good coaches, one of whom left behind a burgeoning mentality that was duly tapped by his successor. Jamie Siddons could always look back to giving the Tigers a shove forward with his hands-on, straightforward approach.

As Bangladesh prepare for another assault on their reputation in the next three years, they need a stern hand on the wheel. A coach holds a lot of importance for the Tigers as they are a young team with vulnerable characters despite their performances.

Since the middle of 2010, there has been a perception that the Tigers, especially the settled ones, need mentoring and monitoring. They have had short bursts of successes with only a few consistently making big contributions. After the blockbuster 4-0 win over New Zealand, there was a whole new strut among the Tigers. It would have been refreshing but the strut, unwittingly, symbolised complacency and it was quite aptly reflected in the World Cup. In a flighty tournament, the Tigers went from one extreme to the other, ending up with just a few positives and not much progress.

In Test cricket, the Tigers have taken very few steps forward. A solid opening partnership apart, Siddons has left behind an undesirable record (19 games, two wins, 16 losses) as well as many questions unanswered.

The Tigers do have a settled one-day side for almost two years, but imagine anyone other than Shakib Al Hasan, Tamim Iqbal and Imrul Kayes holding a regular place. Form and injuries haven't always been kind with just a few slowly making important comebacks.

If people with the power to select a coach are willing to look out of the box and beyond staid options, it could be time for a man who has the pedigree, nous, coaching experience and the mouth. As much as he is excellent with batting techniques, the man will be a challenge to those flying too high.

Javed Miandad may not be everyone's cup of tea but the 1992 World Cup winner is a legend in his own right and is regarded as the sharpest tool in the shed.

Though he is currently a director general at the Pakistan Cricket Board, Miandad's role is nothing more than an embellishment for the board to be able to say that they have him. An approachable man, Miandad does possess a permissible swagger, being the best batsman in Pakistan cricket history but has all the time in the world for batsmen who are willing to iron out weaknesses.

After the 2011 World Cup, he was in the running to be a batting consultant to the Pakistan side but it was vetoed by team management because it was felt he won't be the right guy for the job. He does have a few limitations and it lies in his overeagerness, a major difficulty for great players who turn into coaches. He could be expected to do what former Tigers coach Mohsin Kamal was infamous for: stand in the players' balcony and literally give ball-by-ball instructions to his batsmen from there.

After Pakistan had conceded a Test to India early on the fifth day during the epic 2003-04 series, Miandad brought out the team for a net session that lasted a few hours.

If his enthusiasm could be restrained and the BCB are ready to think far and wide, this addition could give the Tigers an edge.
He would be the biggest cricketer in the shed, a tag that is very much a necessity for being the head coach of these Tigers.

http://www.thedailystar.net/newDesig...php?nid=184698

Last edited by Zeeshan; May 7, 2011 at 07:42 PM.. Reason: formatting
Old May 7, 2011, 07:39 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Shakib, Mashrafe

A Big 'NO'. This is last worst thing you can do to this team. No Pakistani Coach Please !
Old May 7, 2011, 07:43 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Tam,Sak,Nasa,Mash

self-destruction
Old May 7, 2011, 07:43 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

He is a brand name, and would be an excellent bargain if BCB can work out a deal.
Old May 7, 2011, 07:44 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naimul_Hd
A Big 'NO'. This is last worst thing you can do to this team. No Pakistani Coach Please !
Nice to see you have your xenophobia in check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon
self-destruction
Why?
Old May 7, 2011, 07:49 PM
ODI Cricketer

We do not want to make the same mistakes twice. Sourav Ganguly can be an option
Old May 7, 2011, 07:53 PM
BC Staff
BC Bangladesh

Favorite Player: Gilly

umm..no thanks
Old May 7, 2011, 07:57 PM
Test Cricketer

No Pakistanis. No Indians. Thank you.
Old May 7, 2011, 08:22 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Rafique & Pailot

Don't even think about associating Miandad with Bangladesh cricket.
Old May 7, 2011, 09:02 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Lara

NO from me. Reason: I am a racist; but I am with my cause in this case.
Old May 7, 2011, 11:16 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: duh!

God forbid.
Old May 7, 2011, 11:31 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Shakib, Tamim, Mash

he couldnt coach pakistan team properly and has a bad reputation of causing problems with senior players. so not interested....

Posted via BC Mobile Edition
Old May 8, 2011, 12:04 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Just No.
Old May 8, 2011, 12:41 AM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Sakib Al-hassan

A big NO! I don't want to see anyone as a head coach from the subcontinent. PERIOD.

Did you guys remember the incident when Miandad had a fight with Trevor Chappel (the then BD Coach) at BNS while a practice match was being held ? Miandad went to Umpire's position without consulting with Trever. Minadad was hired as a batting consultant for few weeks but he had his ego even to ask the permission from the head coach to go to the field! BD officials had to rush to the spot to stop the fighting!

I would strongly suggest having someone either from AUS or SA to be our next head coach.
Old May 8, 2011, 12:51 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mash, Shak, Enam, Riyad

Keno Rashid latif ki dosh korse?
Koekdin pore dekhbo, "laden beech thakle he would have been our ideal captain"

Faijlamir Ekta shima ashe

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (iPhone)
Old May 8, 2011, 12:56 AM
BC Editorial Team

BD would not be able to travel to any tournaments in India - Indian government will not grant visa to him on account of his daughter being married off to Daud Ibrahim's son. And if you think BCCI gives us no love now ...
Old May 8, 2011, 12:57 AM
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohel NR
With all the [] around nowadays, all this gratuitous Paki-lovin' comes to me as no surprise.
As myself - Sohel, a bit much this. This is attacking the messenger.

As mod.

Don't attack the messenger!

Last edited by Zunaid; May 11, 2011 at 09:45 PM..
Old May 8, 2011, 12:58 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

My respect for Isham as a cricket writer of substance just went from 5 (down from 7 after his "we have the best possible WC side comment") to .5 on a scale of 10. He is quickly becoming the Utpaul Shubhro of DS.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)
Old May 8, 2011, 12:59 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazabQ
As myself - Sohel, a bit much this. This is attacking the messenger.

As mod.

Don't attack the messenger!
Understood. Deleting that post. It was meant for the writer, not Z.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)
Old May 8, 2011, 01:17 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohel NR
My respect for Isham as a cricket writer of substance just went from 5 (down from 7 after his "we have the best possible WC side comment") to .5 on a scale of 10. He is quickly becoming the Utpaul Shubhro of DS.
But he _did_ use the word 'nous'... name one bengali who could..

```
Jokes aside, I know you didn't direct it at me but since I am friends with Isam bhai on facebook I feel compelled to defend him.

I don't think he is a Pakistani apologist. The fact that he has some league experience and is a journalist with more inside information and the fact he is a regular contributor to espncricinfo makes his pieces on a different league than fluffs of US. Tbh, at first I wasn't greatest fan of his 'cut n dried' articles which I vociferously voiced out on BC, but he has evolved to a great analysist and an objective journalist. Perhaps it's the cyber barrier but I think most of us would have many facets much in common had we conducted our affairs in real life than through online media.

Take care Sohel bhai. =)
Old May 8, 2011, 01:25 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: da silva

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeshanM
Miandad can be an option

http://www.thedailystar.net/newDesig...php?nid=184698
Like another poster here, I feel Mo Islam is just plain wrong. His recommendation of Miandad is just a dreadful suggestion. I am also starting to question Mo Islam's judgement as a serious cricket writer now on key matters.

The myth is that BD needs a disciplinarian. However it needs someone to CONTROL the team, which is different. Players have to feel part of the set up and not isolated by it. They certainly cannot be allowed to run away doing what they want so need to understand responsibility.

The Head Coach should be a carefully thought out choice. He might also be someone not as obvious as we think.
Old May 8, 2011, 01:25 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mo Chow = Chow Mo

Who is Daud Ibrahim?
Old May 8, 2011, 01:37 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Brian Lara

A very big NO. This is the last thing I want to see in BD Cricket.
Old May 8, 2011, 01:53 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Jahurul Islam

hahaha reporterer matha ki noshto hoe gese naki??

Posted via BC Mobile Edition
Old May 8, 2011, 02:04 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib

We need Mr Ian Pont

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (iPhone)
Closed Thread