facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old January 12, 2017, 11:01 AM
Club Cricketer

Default Facebook is poisoning the Bangladeshi Youth

This is my trip to Bangladesh after 5 years,and if your either 16 years old, or younger going from Aus to Bangladesh don`t get too excited, if you want to experience cricket/street cricket.... Give up, most Bangladeshi Kids are addicted to facebook, my household in mirpur, have 10 Plus devices, 4 kids aged under 15 all do "prem'' sorry if i phrased it wrong....If you want to experience the real Bangladesh leave dhaka, go to the country side, I went to a place called char fasson, even there, kids were glued to their phones, I saw kids from slums have facebook accountsts, youth my age join groups with weird spelled names like FrIndZ 4 Ev3r, I mean half of the people they meet are either fake profiles/baits and people actually fall for it. I guess i missed the old BD were people went out to play at the evenings and came back at night.... This is what happens when you introduce phones to kids at a early stage, it follows them throughout their youth....another trip to BD wasted in boredom
Old January 12, 2017, 11:21 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Hashim Amla, Joe Root

I had a debate with my old boss(dev lead) about this, He disagreed with me and profusely stated that "you need to give your kids exposed to technology as early as possible". I don't disagree with the statement he made but I definitely disagree with giving kids smartphones at an early age until they reach sound intellectual maturity like late High school/Early College days...
Old January 12, 2017, 05:40 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mustafizur, Sabbir.

No wonder there's not much, hardly any cricketers coming from Dhaka city despite having the only decent facilities of cricket available in the land, in Dhaka. Taskin is the only play born in and grown up Dhaka city. Rest are from Rural areas.

It's the small towns, rural areas, is where Bangladesh really is, in all sports and richness of talents, good hard work ethic. Etc
Old January 12, 2017, 09:59 PM
First Class Cricketer

i can totally see this happening. Dhaka has become very "trendy" "fast" and westernised. the youth go hang at gloria jeans or some trendy western restaurant or cafe, funded by their dad of course and they all cool and hip because they go to these places and have an arm around a girl/guy

most of these kids don't work, just study now and then and their parents fund everything.

it gets wrose.

once these kids come go abroad to "study" they are there to live the life and get loose. drink/smoke/ nightlife etc, and since there's no parents, no rules. of course their studies are funded by their parents.

they consider a bideshi girlfriend as an upgrade because they "made it" going back to bangladesh is a step back for them. or anything associated with bangladesh.

I can go on, but it's sad.
Old January 12, 2017, 10:04 PM
First Class Cricketer

not only kids but adults too. they are on FB like it's the new indian serial. Essentially it's their gossip network, snooping and keeping track of people. and they get mad if you don't reciprocrate or if your FB activity is low.

it's the new thing and people have lost their minds. adults are becoming kids and kids becoming useless.
Old January 13, 2017, 03:52 AM
First Class Cricketer

People have indeed lost their minds.
No one picks up the phone and talks anymore. Instead, they post a status update! I am glad to say that I check my Facebook only once a day.
Old January 15, 2017, 12:59 AM
Test Cricketer

FB is so...2010.

If it's still uber-popular in BD, it might not be in 3-4 yrs.

We're dependent on smartphones these days, and there's nothing wrong with that, but some people lack sense and courtesy at the dinner table and during meetings.
Old January 15, 2017, 03:13 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Di Caprio

Quote:
Originally Posted by epitaph
FB is so...2010.

If it's still uber-popular in BD, it might not be in 3-4 yrs.

shows how much you know or your thinking process. You will never be invested in growth stocks like Facebook with lack of vision like that.

1.7 billion monthly ACTIVE users... out of 3 billion ppl with access to internet world wide.... and that excludes CHINA (close to a billion internet users there) as FB is banned there. just wrap that thought around your head. almost everybody with internet connection use facebook actively.. Their only way to grow is to grow internet users and they have unsuccessfully tried that in India as govt pushed back..

facebook was destined to take over the world the day it killed myspace and the growth it was showing....

I am watching your posts epitaph...
Old January 15, 2017, 10:15 AM
Cricket Legend

Personally I am not a fan of Facebook as it creates extra unnecessary social hassle.

In Bangladesh the youth is being killed by lack of entertainment and quality of life. Kids have no time or place to play anymore.

Hence they indulge on phones, tabs, pc to fill that void. Also I don't think society minds.

What is frightening is how kids are going towards drugs like yaba. Also the kids these days seem to have poorer levels of morals.
Old January 15, 2017, 08:13 PM

as myself: Wow! How opinionated and judgemental! Amazing thread!

as mod: iDumb, stop flaming around
Old January 16, 2017, 02:49 AM
Club Cricketer

Facebook is ranked 6 on alexa, most viewed in Bangladesh, Google, then youtube followed by Prothom Alo....Noticeably Banglacricket is not even on the list
Old January 16, 2017, 02:49 AM
Club Cricketer

I`m sixteen I dont even have a phone let alone a facebook account
Old January 16, 2017, 03:17 AM
Street Cricketer

Favorite Player: Malinga

Too much of anything is bad for health. People who have been using social media sites continuously for hours together are prone to develop diseases. It is important that people who have facebook account should limit the usage.
Old January 16, 2017, 07:35 AM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtachetna
Too much of anything is bad for health. People who have been using social media sites continuously for hours together are prone to develop diseases. It is important that people who have facebook account should limit the usage.
Are you by any chance the same wtachetna from Zimcricketforum

and are u from zimbabwe
Old January 16, 2017, 10:34 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Any leg break bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDumb
shows how much you know or your thinking process. You will never be invested in growth stocks like Facebook with lack of vision like that.

1.7 billion monthly ACTIVE users... out of 3 billion ppl with access to internet world wide.... and that excludes CHINA (close to a billion internet users there) as FB is banned there. just wrap that thought around your head. almost everybody with internet connection use facebook actively.. Their only way to grow is to grow internet users and they have unsuccessfully tried that in India as govt pushed back..

facebook was destined to take over the world the day it killed myspace and the growth it was showing....

I am watching your posts epitaph...
Just wondering what is the ratio of no of fb acc. to the real no of active people ( excluding the ones who passed away)
Old January 16, 2017, 07:18 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mahmudullah Riyad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifat
I had a debate with my old boss(dev lead) about this, He disagreed with me and profusely stated that "you need to give your kids exposed to technology as early as possible". I don't disagree with the statement he made but I definitely disagree with giving kids smartphones at an early age until they reach sound intellectual maturity like late High school/Early College days...
No smart phones until theyre 18? Lmao that's extreme.
Old January 16, 2017, 09:52 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Hashim Amla, Joe Root

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafi
No smart phones until theyre 18? Lmao that's extreme.
I didn't say 18. I said until they reach sound intellectual maturity. Besides, you don't need a smartphone to survive. Until my kids can prove to me that they can take care of themselves, make sound Decisions based on true Islamic teachings and become a true leader(that can happen at any age) once they can navigate through the evils and challenges of the real ugly world we live in today, then they can have it .

Let's talk about practical examples: many young people get into serious relationships and most of these relationships get broken quite easily due to social media and inability to have mature conversation(s) over messaging. I think me as a parent, If myself and my wife do an amazing job raising the kids where the kid is smart enough to make the right choice and knows how to use smartphone properly without getting into unnecessary spiritual or worldly trouble then why not?

I personally never wanted a smartphone. I only got one since I started working and My job required that i responded to emails on to go, so treated myself to a smartphone hehe. People survived before google maps and messaging existed!
Old January 17, 2017, 12:28 AM
Test Cricketer

I hardly use facebook,but may use it in the future for a particular reason.
Old January 17, 2017, 05:31 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifat
I didn't say 18. I said until they reach sound intellectual maturity. Besides, you don't need a smartphone to survive. Until my kids can prove to me that they can take care of themselves, make sound Decisions based on true Islamic teachings and become a true leader(that can happen at any age) once they can navigate through the evils and challenges of the real ugly world we live in today, then they can have it .

Let's talk about practical examples: many young people get into serious relationships and most of these relationships get broken quite easily due to social media and inability to have mature conversation(s) over messaging. I think me as a parent, If myself and my wife do an amazing job raising the kids where the kid is smart enough to make the right choice and knows how to use smartphone properly without getting into unnecessary spiritual or worldly trouble then why not?

I personally never wanted a smartphone. I only got one since I started working and My job required that i responded to emails on to go, so treated myself to a smartphone hehe. People survived before google maps and messaging existed!
I personally think with children its more of control of what they use. And I think it is important to teach them from a young age of why to use a smart phone. My 5+ year old son gets like 30 minutes each on the weekend mornings with a tablet. he is allowed to play approved educational games with it. When he gets older I might start off giving him a normal phone NOT a smart one though.

However as a parent I am worried about social media and mental and social issues it causes to youth. These days social media is used by many to cause confusion and distress to young children. I am still undecided whether to allow him to open an FB account at a young age. But then it is quite easy to open an account, and I would rather know than not know.

However I have an Uncle who delayed to give my cousin a smart phone until he was in College and that caused alot of disappointment and resentment in my cousin. My Uncle and my cousin are quite religious, but sad to say this anti- smart phone policy made my cousin feel left out and empty. But then I thought, my cousin has access to the PC in his house and school and he kind of has a license to look at anything he wanted, so I found it a bit illogical for giving it to him at such a late age. However I do understand as a parent one would rather be safe than sorry.

On the subject of smart phones, I personally like it not only for professional use. I do alot of stuff on it, even helpful for religious purposes. You can use it as a compass to find the Qibla. You can use it to keep in touch with family in Bangladesh using Whatsapp/Viber and save money. You can use it to back up all your photos, etc etc.

Bottom Line: I hope InshahAllah our kids do not face such burden and unnecessary stress.
Old January 17, 2017, 05:32 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockley
I hardly use facebook,but may use it in the future for a particular reason.
If its not too personal, can we know why
Old January 17, 2017, 05:59 AM
Test Cricketer

I am doing a childrens' story,doing a course in children's writing course,on my 2nd draft.Give it a year I expect.
I will promote it on facebook.
Old January 17, 2017, 06:10 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockley
I am doing a childrens' story,doing a course in children's writing course,on my 2nd draft.Give it a year I expect.
I will promote it on facebook.
Wish you the best of luck.
Old January 17, 2017, 02:10 PM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Mohammad Ashraful

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammark
as myself: Wow! How opinionated and judgemental! Amazing thread!

as mod: iDumb, stop flaming around
At least some mods are aware

sometimes it scares the hell out of new users....(probably that's why most stay away)

When you see teacher like attitude from 1-2 users (so called educated professors)..
Old January 17, 2017, 02:36 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Kagisoooo & Saif

Is this thread related to this one:

Rise of teen gangs in Dhaka streets
Old January 17, 2017, 04:39 PM
Test Cricketer

Thanx Adamnsu.