facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old April 27, 2016, 12:01 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Jason Day

I'm not a financial person..but some common sense will tell me not to 'invest' 75% of my salary into a stock whose fate I am not certain about...
Old April 27, 2016, 12:09 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mustafizur Rahman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MohammedShamim
Well, than the chance of one becoming rich is less, as your diversifying your risk, you are also making comprise to gain less more than you would expect, if that single stock takes off, your in business, if it doesn't of well, that's game over.
The purpose of financial markets isn't to make people rich and that too by chancing luck. That's what the lottery is for.
Old April 27, 2016, 12:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by aklemalp
I'm not a financial person..but some common sense will tell me not to 'invest' 75% of my salary into a stock whose fate I am not certain about...
You can minimise your risk by diversifying your portfolio. But than with whatever little you invest, you would earn/gain much less. However, if you take a greater risk and invest in a company that is stable but has potential for gain/ loss, if it hits.. You become the winner.
Old April 27, 2016, 12:12 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MohammedShamim
You can minimise your risk by diversifying your portfolio. But than with whatever little you invest, you would earn/gain much less. However, if you take a greater risk and invest in a company that is stable but has potential for gain/ loss, if it hits.. You become the winner.
English please...
Old April 27, 2016, 12:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equinox
The purpose of financial markets isn't to make people rich by chancing luck. That's what the lottery is for.
I don't plan to be a full time trader. If a full time trader or someone who has enough money and made his investments expecting good returns every year from dividends, than that is a different issue. You would need to have good amounts of money invested if your expecting a good return from dividends.. I don't actually know why someone becomes a trader? If anyone could explain or tell me their motivation, it would be really helpful.
Old April 27, 2016, 12:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
English please...
I tried the West Indies way of writing, but clearly failed
Old April 27, 2016, 12:24 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Di Caprio

I know what shamim is talking about. No risk no gain. Either you make it or you don't. But unfortunately so far what I have seen, his risk tolerance is very minimal or zero. He is still writing that he wants to give twitter more time... Bro you can't have better entry point than today when all negativity is priced in... technically also at resistence at 15 that we already talked about before.... But the problem is your analysis is very suspect... your vision for the company is very questionable at best.

Also there is nothing wrong with investing 75% of your salary.. you are not doing it in one year. Infact you should have money in the market equivalent and then some multiple of your salary as years go by....

But given shamim zero risk tolerance I think he should invest somewhere else not the market... rentals, tiny business where the loss isnt as dramatic or quick. I mean being a sylheti, you should have some uncle with successful business - shadow them.
Old April 27, 2016, 12:35 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mustafizur Rahman

Quote:
I don't plan to be a full time trader. If a full time trader or someone who has enough money and made his investments expecting good returns every year from dividends, than that is a different issue. You would need to have good amounts of money invested if your expecting a good return from dividends.. I don't actually know why someone becomes a trader? If anyone could explain or tell me their motivation, it would be really helpful.
Markets aren't perfectly efficient in practice, in that stock prices aren't always at their fair value so there is money to be made through analysis and market timing. If you can beat the market by a few percentage points and you are working with big money, either yours or someone else's, that can translate to very attractive income. Although a lot of studies argue beating the market is more luck than skill.

Even if you don't plan on being a full-time trader investing a portion of your income is recommended. Just don't expect it to make you a multimillionaire. If your risk appetite is low you can look at purchasing exchange traded funds linked to the FTSE 100 for example.
Old April 27, 2016, 02:23 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib

I agree with Equinox. Don't expect to become rich through stock market. If you only have some dispensable income and want your money to grow for a long term plan, then stock market is a good choice. Other than that it is an extremely risky platform esp. for the people who have no understanding of the market.
Old April 27, 2016, 02:24 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib

Quote:
English please...
high risk = high reward

and vice versa
Old April 27, 2016, 03:27 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDumb
For me, I have always said it before in this thread and in another... the only social paltform i endorse and invest in would be Facebook. nothing else... no twitter, linkedin all those crap... I don't understand twitter and not a user--- so i don't go for it.

And I continue to be right.. FB up 7% AH whie earnings happening. These are simple common sense investing... and ppl waste so much time. FB controls the world with a billion active monthly user and have average of an hour of user engagement... Twitter doesn't have even 300 m active users and user engagement is like a minute...

and ppl got the audacity to put these two together... tsk tsk. Oh also FB run by Zuckerberg not some dorsey morsey porsey idiot.
Old April 27, 2016, 06:39 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mufi_02
high risk = high reward

and vice versa
Got it...
Old June 13, 2016, 12:22 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:

And the biggest question of all: with just market cap of 12 billion, can Twitter be BOUGHT by someone? Facebook paid 19 billion (much higher) for whatsapp... So obviously the visionaries see social trend going elsewhere not in tweets --- But it's possible.... Maybe microsoft will buy another failing company
this is what i wrote on twitter.

I was so close.. got the sector right.. got the buying company right also. Microsoft buys Linked IN.

Old June 14, 2016, 06:16 PM
ODI Cricketer

I'm about to finish grad school and am trying to learn how to invest and what to do with my savings once I start working.

I've a question about Bangladeshi banks. They offer high interest rates, but can you bank online, and are they safe/dependable? Any info or advice would be appreciated. I won't be traveling to Bangladesh often.
Old June 15, 2016, 03:03 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by epitaph
I'm about to finish grad school and am trying to learn how to invest and what to do with my savings once I start working.

I've a question about Bangladeshi banks. They offer high interest rates, but can you bank online, and are they safe/dependable? Any info or advice would be appreciated. I won't be traveling to Bangladesh often.
What you finishing grad school on?

I don't live in Bangladesh but I actually looked into it/thought about it. People living in Bangladesh can add their 2 cents.

First Banks in Bangladesh:
Overall I would say is safe. There is widespread ATM usage. There were some recent ATM fraud where some savers lost money and the bank in fear of losing public trust ended up taking the loss for the fraud and giving the the account holders their money back. This is the norm here in US but it made news there so I would be cautioned.

Foreign/international banks operating in Bangladesh I would say is very safe, specially if you want to do online banking. Just browse through some of the bank websites and you will see they are using standard encryptions.

Now the harder part: Investing. How you come up top would depend on policies. There are two way you can "invest"/save.

1. Opening a foreign currency account
2. Opening a regular taka account.

--------
Benefits of 1 (fcy accnt): Keep your money in USD which is a very stable currency so you don't have to worry at all. With this, the bank will pretty much give you no better return than you would get here in USA - meaning ~ < 1 - 2 percent. You have other options:
- You can buy US dollar investment bonds provided by Bangladesh Bank but through your own bank which will give return at a rate of 6.5%. and that money will be given in USD
- You an also buy US premium bonds at a rate of 7.5% but the interest will be given in taka while the principle remains in USD.
- you have to double check but through FCY account you can also transfer money in and out of the country via banks.

Downside of 1 (fcy accnt): Low return.
----

Option 2: Regular taka account: This is where you have to understand and predict Bangladesh Bank policies and be wary of inflation etc etc.

Benefit: higher return (but maybe falsely so)
- Bangladesh taka may give you rate of >12% return but you have to keep in mind not only inflation but more importantly devaluation of Taka by Bangladesh Bank. Basically what BB will be doing is as USD gets stronger or Taka gets stronger (which has been the case over last few years) - Bangladesh bank will devalue taka against USD to maintain export advantage over other countries. So you may get 12% in return but taka may get devalued by 5% over that time effectively reducing your USD return (you will need more taka to have the same amount of USD). But taka has been somewhat stable against USD over last few years, so one MAY get lucky.

Downside to taka accnt:
- Unstable currency specially if you plan to convert back to usd.
- Even if you convert to USD, you will have hard to bringing the money back to USA as Bangladesh has restrictions on outbound foreign currency.

---------------------------

My advice (take it with a grain of salt if you want) - you can certainly try this as a small part of your overall portfolio but I would not put majority of my investment there. However if taka is of value to you in Bangladesh, ie have family in BD that u need to send money to.. one of these vehicles may not be a bad idea given you effectively taking out the risk of recoverting back to USD... then devaluation you would enjoy more, inflation would be your biggest worry at that time.

But I think with more careful planning you can come out ahead in US stock market. Also highly consider rental properties locally.
Old June 16, 2016, 12:24 AM
ODI Cricketer

Thanks for the info, iDumb bhai.

Quote:
What you finishing grad school on?
MBA

Quote:
- You can buy US dollar investment bonds provided by Bangladesh Bank but through your own bank which will give return at a rate of 6.5%. and that money will be given in USD
This is still very decent, no?

Quote:
- Bangladesh taka may give you rate of >12% return but you have to keep in mind not only inflation but more importantly devaluation of Taka by Bangladesh Bank. Basically what BB will be doing is as USD gets stronger or Taka gets stronger (which has been the case over last few years) - Bangladesh bank will devalue taka against USD to maintain export advantage over other countries. So you may get 12% in return but taka may get devalued by 5% over that time effectively reducing your USD return (you will need more taka to have the same amount of USD). But taka has been somewhat stable against USD over last few years, so one MAY get lucky.
Ah, now it makes more sense in regards to how they're able to offer such high rates.

Quote:
- Even if you convert to USD, you will have hard to bringing the money back to USA as Bangladesh has restrictions on outbound foreign currency.
A taka account definitely isn't an option for me then.

Quote:
My advice (take it with a grain of salt if you want) - you can certainly try this as a small part of your overall portfolio but I would not put majority of my investment there. However if taka is of value to you in Bangladesh, ie have family in BD that u need to send money to.. one of these vehicles may not be a bad idea given you effectively taking out the risk of recoverting back to USD... then devaluation you would enjoy more, inflation would be your biggest worry at that time.

But I think with more careful planning you can come out ahead in US stock market. Also highly consider rental properties locally.
Yes, I definitely want to create a diverse portfolio. I studied stocks and think I've a decent grasp on stocks. Was thinking about investing in stocks and the high Bangladeshi bank rates for now. Hopefully, one day I'll be able to invest in a rental property.

Taka is of no value to me in BD. If I invest in BD, it'll be via USD investment bonds based on what you've written.
Old June 16, 2016, 08:50 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
This is still very decent, no?

Well yes. The problem is since your investment is actually overseas - in essence your money is illiquid. So for example if you need the money quick for something, it maybe somewhat difficult to get it right away but not as illiquid as let's say a property ofcourse.

There is inherent risk in investing in BD. For example here in USA, your bank balance is FDIC insured up to 250K per account, so you don't really worry about it. But what about in Bangladesh? Any idea about governement insurability? FOr example the recent hacking attempt to steal a billion dollars from Bangladesh bank - had the whole thing gone through... who would take that loss write off? Though unlikely that they would put bond holder under jeopardy but you have to keep these things in mind in a country with widespread corruption and unstable government and willy nilly policies. Moody's ratings on BD goverment is not that great either.

Personally for me it think of it this way....: I would have to invest enough money to extract some decent return.. ie 1K usd a month meaning you would have to invest 200K usd. Given the uncertainty, personally for me that amount may be a bit too much. I however would risk lets say 20 to 50k but then your return per month is ~250 at best which is really chump change... you can instead invest that for downpayment into a property that can yield much higher return....

But hey go for it..diversification.. these bonds are only limited to Bangladeshis so it is a priviledge i supoose.
Old June 16, 2016, 04:02 PM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Sachin Tendulkar

Guys - What kind of financial planning and investment I need to make to become next Warren Buffet? People with only genuine answers reply pls. Thanks
Old June 16, 2016, 04:35 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Hashim Amla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin 3:!6
Guys - What kind of financial planning and investment I need to make to become next Warren Buffet? People with only genuine answers reply pls. Thanks
Research, Research Research and invest in young thriving company that just got into the market that has tremendous growth potential, high risk, high return....
Old June 17, 2016, 03:24 AM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Well yes. The problem is since your investment is actually overseas - in essence your money is illiquid. So for example if you need the money quick for something, it maybe somewhat difficult to get it right away but not as illiquid as let's say a property ofcourse.
Creating a rainy days' fund is the first thing I'll do (in the form of multiple CDs), so I won't need anything else to be liquid.

Quote:
There is inherent risk in investing in BD. For example here in USA, your bank balance is FDIC insured up to 250K per account, so you don't really worry about it. But what about in Bangladesh? Any idea about governement insurability? FOr example the recent hacking attempt to steal a billion dollars from Bangladesh bank - had the whole thing gone through... who would take that loss write off? Though unlikely that they would put bond holder under jeopardy but you have to keep these things in mind in a country with widespread corruption and unstable government and willy nilly policies. Moody's ratings on BD goverment is not that great either.
When you said you buy the bonds from Bangladesh Bank via your/foreign bank, I assumed the foreign bank part would make it less risky. But if the foreign bank plays no part in terms of security/guarantees, then yeah, it's more risky.

Quote:
Personally for me it think of it this way....: I would have to invest enough money to extract some decent return.. ie 1K usd a month meaning you would have to invest 200K usd. Given the uncertainty, personally for me that amount may be a bit too much. I however would risk lets say 20 to 50k but then your return per month is ~250 at best which is really chump change... you can instead invest that for downpayment into a property that can yield much higher return....
Yeah, you're right. My main focus should probably be getting a condo.

But I still want to diversify. I'd be interested in putting a small amount in these bonds if it's a relatively safe venture, but not so interested if it's risky.

If you factor in compound interest, at 6.5%, 20k in 10 yrs will become 37.5k. Bonds don't pay compound interest, but if you reinvest the amount you get, it's the same thing. So, good investment IMO just as long as it's safe.

Quote:
But hey go for it..diversification.. these bonds are only limited to Bangladeshis so it is a priviledge i supoose.
Yeah, with the bond returns so low now in the US, this gives us an alternative. But again, security is the main question...
Old June 17, 2016, 09:02 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
If you factor in compound interest, at 6.5%, 20k in 10 yrs will become 37.5k. Bonds don't pay compound interest, but if you reinvest the amount you get, it's the same thing. So, good investment IMO just as long as it's safe.

It's not as risky as I made it sound. Though dollar bonds investments are in only hudreds of millions per year, the wage earner bond (the middle east guys) buying these bonds in Billions annually. So it is unlikely that all of a sudden this goverment backed securities get dissolved unless something extraordinary bad thing happen to Bangladesh economy.

When you buy regardless from what bank - the bonds are by Bangladesh Bank.. so the bank where you buy it really has nothing to do in terms of protection. Foreign banks are governed by local laws... So an HSBC bank in USA will give FDIC insurance of an account but HSBC in dhaka will not do that. Keep in mind these are simply things to give citizens peace of mind in banking - in reality it means nothing. Extraordiarily bad things need to happen in order for some of these things to dissolve.

Having said this, you go with wahtever works for you. You are a young guy. A time horizon of 10 years in your early years I don't think you should thihnk about "safe investment" of bonds...Stop reading nonsensical yahoo finance articles. These guys earn money from clicks -they don't know anything.

Making 20K to 40K in 10 years really means nothing.... 10 year horizon you should have an aim of a million dollars. You may unlikely to achieve that even if you get to half of that it's good. So, hOw you get there is up to you but target has to be grand....I would do as much risky (but not negligent/stupid) investment as possible that will be a game changer for me. If you lose your first 50 Grand in your 20s - 30s - who cares. It's not end of the world.
-------------------------------

and don't worry about rainy day funds.... there is no rain that can not be taken care of even when you have zero dollars. There is always a solution.
Old June 20, 2016, 07:57 AM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Sachin Tendulkar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifat
Research, Research Research and invest in young thriving company that just got into the market that has tremendous growth potential, high risk, high return....
Thanks. I have invested in a company named as Sophos Plc. (Ticker: SOPH). An IPO started in Apr last year.

Austin - Next Buffet now for sure. Ki moja.
Old June 20, 2016, 01:04 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Invest in the unseen. Time and money. The reward would be most satisfying.
Old Yesterday, 08:39 AM
Cricket Legend

where is G-man, he had the chance to become rich last night. I don't understand this londoni ppl... why are there weird votes like this....?