facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old May 13, 2011, 03:48 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Favorite Player: bhujee kom
Default Would you invest in Bangladesh?

Bhujee kom is a genius. His thought of making dollars triggered me to open this thread. I am sure if ZeeshanM opened this thread he would have made it more interesting.

Please answer the following questions with (Good/Bad) or (Yes/No).

1- Investing in Bangladesh.

2- Depositing substantial amount in a bank in Bangladesh and live of the interest.

3- Investing in stock market in Bangladesh (its a no no in Bangladesh but needs to be asked).

4- Directly Investing in a well known Bangladeshi company if given opportunity (Is it possible)

Give an Example to the following, don't have to go in too much detail.

5- Which Bangladeshi Bank do you think is the safest?

6- What is the best interest rate you can get in Bangladesh and from which Bank ?

7- What sector would you invest in if you had $100K ? Is it enough or don't bother

Please don't give personal information. Just your knowledge of investing in Bangladesh would be sufficient.

** Please add any other question which you think is relevant to this thread. And take your time answering.

P.S. I do not have $100k at the moment , but like to know more about investing in Bangladesh if the opportunity arises.
Old May 13, 2011, 11:15 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Di Caprio

Quote:
Originally Posted by MohammedC
Bhujee kom is a genius. His thought of making dollars triggered me to open this thread. I am sure if ZeeshanM opened this thread he would have made it more interesting.

1- Investing in Bangladesh. - GOOD

2- Depositing substantial amount in a bank in Bangladesh and live of the interest. very good

3- Investing in stock market in Bangladesh (its a no no in Bangladesh but needs to be asked). - Yes but only broader market, not individual stocks.

4- Directly Investing in a well known Bangladeshi company if given opportunity (Is it possible) NO

5- Which Bangladeshi Bank do you think is the safest? Any bank that trades in the stock market

6- What is the best interest rate you can get in Bangladesh and from which Bank ?
don't know but if the return is not significantly higher than the inflation rate, it's worthless to me.

7- What sector would you invest in if you had $100K ? Is it enough or don't bother.
real estate, construction/home builders, telecommunication.
i dont live in bd ... and dnt follow bd news.
Old May 13, 2011, 11:45 PM
Cricket Legend

There is something called USD bonds in Bangladesh - which looks promising actually. If I visit BD later this year, I will open an account. And I will write how it went after a year..if I remember.

http://www.sonali-bank.co.uk/bonds_us.asp

only drawback is it is not compounded.
Old May 14, 2011, 02:29 AM
Test Cricketer

1- Investing in Bangladesh. Yes

2- Depositing substantial amount in a bank in Bangladesh and live of the interest. Yes

3- Investing in stock market in Bangladesh (its a no no in Bangladesh but needs to be asked). No, until proper regulation are put in place

4- Directly Investing in a well known Bangladeshi company if given opportunity (Is it possible) No, you are better off starting your own IMO

5- Which Bangladeshi Bank do you think is the safest?

Most top tier private banks are as safe as any safe banks anywhere in the world IMO. Namely Citbank Limited, Citibank, DutchBangla Bank to name a few.

The interest rate depends on the amount of money you deposit over a fixed period of time. I recently did a 3 months fixed deposit at 13% interest rate at Citibank Limited. I don't know if other banks offer better rates, but I think thats pretty good rate. The rate also varies a lot so you may not get this rate 3 or 6 months from now.

7- What sector would you invest in if you had $100K ? Is it enough or don't bother

Definitely I would invest on consumer goods and services aimed at middle class. Being a developing country there are not a lot of industry or sectors where the market is saturated. If you can play your cards right you can still get in almost any sectors and compete with the big guys.

$100k is ~73lakh BDT. Its not a lot of money for a medium scale investment. But its a decent amount to start with. For instance I was talking to one of my friend here in BD who worked on several isp and has a decent understanding on the system and the cost involved in bangladesh. He told me that 30-40 lakh is a decent amount to start with on small scale and the market is not saturated with strong players or good services.

From my observation I get the impression that the middle class in bangladesh are willing to spend money on good product and services even if its a bit pricey.
Old May 14, 2011, 02:51 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Brian Lara

1- Investing in Bangladesh - GOOD. Despite what the eggheads, and folks with different political loyalties will tell you at different times, investing in Bangladesh is a great thing, as long as you are prepared to slog it out.

2- Depositing substantial amount in a bank in Bangladesh and live off the interest - GOOD (very lazy, but if you're after the safe option, it works)

3- Investing in stock market in Bangladesh (its a no no in Bangladesh but needs to be asked) - GOOD, you just get with the right people, as we all know insider trading is rife here, so as they say, if you can't beat them, join them.

4- Directly Investing in a well known Bangladeshi company if given opportunity (Is it possible) - NOT GOOD.

5- Which Bangladeshi Bank do you think is the safest? Others have mentioned, the marquee private banks are as safe as they come, though personally I wouldn't touch Islami Bank(but that's only because I hate the scum they are affiliated with)

6- What is the best interest rate you can get in Bangladesh and from which Bank ? 13-16% seems to be the highest rate for fixed deposits.

7- What sector would you invest in if you had $100K ? Is it enough or don't bother - 70lakh taka to be honest isn't much....but without being funny about it, something niche but done right could be a big hit would be sports bars(obviously it would have to be a dry bar, but you get the drift. Huge youth population, that love watching sports(shame most suck at playing, but whatever...) so this would be fail proof I think.

Another boring but impossible to fail in venture would be fast food...honestly, there are no empty fast food joints around dhanmondi, no matter the price, standards, menu.

Alternatively, if you can get a group of people together, diagnostic centers are all the rage. Obviously you need a LOT more seed money than the figure you've stated, but if you can manage to get some partners...

you'll be laughing all the way to the bank.
Old May 14, 2011, 05:09 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Thanks iDumb,Blah and F6 Turbo for sharing information.

* 13% interest for 3 months fixed deposit sounds mouth watering.

* Directly investing in to company is big no no

* Stock Market ......Still scary

* 100K US not enough for big scale but if invest properly in medium scale can make good profit for the money invested.
Old May 14, 2011, 08:52 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blah
The interest rate depends on the amount of money you deposit over a fixed period of time. I recently did a 3 months fixed deposit at 13% interest rate at Citibank Limited. I don't know if other banks offer better rates, but I think thats pretty good rate. The rate also varies a lot so you may not get this rate 3 or 6 months from now.
Your link shows 13% rate for 3crore and above... that's half a million dollars if I am not mistaken. haha! you have that kind of money? Good for you. Looks like dropping out of college worked for you. Maybe you are not that dumb after all.

Last edited by iDumb; May 14, 2011 at 11:21 AM..
Old May 15, 2011, 07:54 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mo Chow = Chow Mo

MC and all the other bhais and apus,
Jomi kinben BD-te? Lemme know! I can help! Good land, good price, just need good buyers! Land in Dhaka, Comilla, Bandarban, you name it I can get it for you, you will not regret! Best investment in BD...pure land, soil, Mati!
Old May 15, 2011, 08:20 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Goldman Sachs would.
Old May 15, 2011, 12:08 PM
Cricket Legend

Guys I just came up with a brilliant idea. How about starting a maid service in Dhaka. Our maids will be all female. They will be sexy, beautiful, educated and will be of variety - aged between 21 to 42. Our target market is anybody that can afford it.

I just pitched this idea to my wife and she slapped me and stopped talking to me. I have written a 10 page report on how this business shall be run. Since i didn't get my wife's approval, this idea is yours for free and that 10 page report is on sale for a one time cost of $599. Buy it Now and be rich. If not rich at least you will have the best time of you life mingling with all your employees while they clean you office (that's part of their job - 10 page report details all these).
Old May 15, 2011, 01:32 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: James Bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDumb
Guys I just came up with a brilliant idea. How about starting a maid service in Dhaka. Our maids will be all female. They will be sexy, beautiful, educated and will be of variety - aged between 21 to 42. Our target market is anybody that can afford it.

I just pitched this idea to my wife and she slapped me and stopped talking to me. I have written a 10 page report on how this business shall be run. Since i didn't get my wife's approval, this idea is yours for free and that 10 page report is on sale for a one time cost of $599. Buy it Now and be rich. If not rich at least you will have the best time of you life mingling with all your employees while they clean you office (that's part of their job - 10 page report details all these).
iDumb's kajer bua inspired idea #87932894392.
Old May 16, 2011, 01:16 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bujhee kom
MC and all the other bhais and apus,
Jomi kinben BD-te? Lemme know! I can help! Good land, good price, just need good buyers! Best investment in BD...pure land, soil, Mati!
you know there is a lot of this "flipping" of land going on in dhaka at the moment - makes me wonder if this is similar to the recent housing crisis here in the states. Basically land is changing hands with higher and higher price without any development work being done on the land.

I actually inherited very tiny amount of land in dhaka and I was thinking of maximizing its use. I can just sell it but the money I will get for it is not enough to consider it.

I was looking at the market price of some apartment in that area online and was thinking of building few floor apartment and selling each apartment but I don't want to be in a situation where I am stuck with spending so much money and then no buyer - which I fear because this is how I think:
- Would I buy an apartment there?: the answer is no. Not with the kind of money that I have to shell out. If I can spend 60-80K USD in dhaka for an apartment, I am relatively wealthy and being that I want certain facilities that will be lacking certainly in that building and in that area. But then I grew up in NYC urban area - what the hell do I know about living in dhaka and their expectations. Any ideas on the best possible use of that land?

Also if anyone is familiar with the cost associated with erecting a let's say 6 story building from scratch - each floor having 1 small apartment? Ball park idea. Thanks.
Old May 16, 2011, 05:54 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mo Chow = Chow Mo

Hold on IDumb bhaiya, I will help you on this.
Old May 16, 2011, 07:06 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bujhee kom
Hold on IDumb bhaiya, I will help you on this.
Here comes the best architect in New York
Old May 20, 2011, 02:42 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Brian Lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDumb
you know there is a lot of this "flipping" of land going on in dhaka at the moment - makes me wonder if this is similar to the recent housing crisis here in the states. Basically land is changing hands with higher and higher price without any development work being done on the land.

I actually inherited very tiny amount of land in dhaka and I was thinking of maximizing its use. I can just sell it but the money I will get for it is not enough to consider it.

I was looking at the market price of some apartment in that area online and was thinking of building few floor apartment and selling each apartment but I don't want to be in a situation where I am stuck with spending so much money and then no buyer - which I fear because this is how I think:
- Would I buy an apartment there?: the answer is no. Not with the kind of money that I have to shell out. If I can spend 60-80K USD in dhaka for an apartment, I am relatively wealthy and being that I want certain facilities that will be lacking certainly in that building and in that area. But then I grew up in NYC urban area - what the hell do I know about living in dhaka and their expectations. Any ideas on the best possible use of that land?

Also if anyone is familiar with the cost associated with erecting a let's say 6 story building from scratch - each floor having 1 small apartment? Ball park idea. Thanks.
- How small is this piece of land?
- Location?
- You mention one small single unit per floor, again, how small is small? Are we talking about 1000sqft? 1200 sqft? 1500 sqft?
- Is the land filled in atm?
Old May 20, 2011, 03:07 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6_Turbo
- How small is this piece of land?
- Location?
- You mention one small single unit per floor, again, how small is small? Are we talking about 1000sqft? 1200 sqft? 1500 sqft?
- Is the land filled in atm?
Between 1400 to 1500 sqft, don't know if there is anything on it or not.