facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old August 31, 2011, 04:22 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Ryan Ten Doescate
Default Inquest a possibility - Daily Star.

Quote:
Manzur Ahmed said yesterday that an evaluation on the state of cricket in the country will be undertaken.

The Bangladesh Cricket Board CEO believes that only an honest appraisal that looks into every corner will bring stability in the national team as well as the game as a whole.

"I would like to see it in management terms and in this case it will be called an evaluation," said Manzur, who informed that he is receiving reports from those who travelled to Zimbabwe during the disastrous tour.

"We'll look into the reports from the various individuals and then do a complete evaluation of the team both on and off the field," he said.

The loss in the one-off Test and the one-day series brought out the worst in Bangladesh cricket. The excuse for the 130-run defeat in the Test match was down to the Tigers' absence from the Test arena for more than a year, the decision more BCB's prerogative.

But while that loss could have been an isolated incident, what happened next actually showed why Bangladesh cricket is still considered backwards.

The Tigers went on to lose the one-day series 3-2 and the margin only got some semblance of respectability after Zimbabwe rested their new sensation and took their foot off the peddle in the last two ODIs.

Head coach Stuart Law, manager Tanjeeb Ahsan, selector Habibul Bashar and head of delegations Shafiqur Rahman Munna are all set to deliver their reports on the happenings of the tour. The board will sit with the information and discuss the issues in a meeting right after the Eid holidays next week.

Manzur said that while there are various comments being made individually, the BCB will come up with its own statement very soon. "There are comments being made individually but the board will come up with its own statement soon," he said.

Apart from mulling over these reports, there is also the suggestion of repeating an inquiry committee which in 2003 delivered a damning assessment of the Tigers' failure in that year's World Cup.

While Manzur didn't rule out such an inquest, he said that the decision that will be taken in the near future will be something close to what happened eight years ago.

"We are holding discussions and we will receive reports. We know there's merit to an inquiry committee but it is not decided yet," he said.

"It will definitely be an honest appraisal and we'll look at all areas within the national team as well," added the CEO.

Manzur confirmed that a comprehensive view will be taken so that every aspect of cricket in Bangladesh will be looked into, mentioning three specific broad areas.

"Actually, we are looking at three areas to better our cricket," he said. "First it is the wickets, then the High Performance unit and lastly, the first-class cricket structure. These are all in place but there is always room for improvement."
Source.

Old August 31, 2011, 06:45 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib,Sangakkara,Lee

I think first-class structure should be taken into consideration after wickets....if you don't focus in first-class structure first, high-performance in any form is unlikely to take place....

Then again, it's BCB we are talking about....where the Chairman himself gets warnings for saying crap (to the media) by the ICC.....:P
Old August 31, 2011, 07:32 PM
Administrator

Nobody commenting on the Daily Star use of the word "inquest"? CEO Manzur Ahmed did not use word inquest - he used the terms "honest appraisal" or "evaluation" at different times.

The most common usage of inquest is a judicial investigation into the cause of death? Is Bangladesh cricket dead? Perhaps the writer thinks or so - or perhaps he was just confused as to when to use inquest and when to use "post mortem".

Then again, another use of the word, though rarer, is for judicial investigations into a major disaster. Yeah, that it was. The Zimbabwe tour was a disaster.
Old August 31, 2011, 07:45 PM
Administrator

On a second read, it is even worse from a journalistic POV. The writer just took this Cricinfo article and then dressed it up in a tasteless garb.
Old August 31, 2011, 08:14 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Shakib, Mashrafe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunaid
On a second read, it is even worse from a journalistic POV. The writer just took this Cricinfo article and then dressed it up in a tasteless garb.
Zunaid bhai....CI used the reference of DS. So, don't think DS journo dressed up CI article
Old August 31, 2011, 08:47 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naimul_Hd
Zunaid bhai....CI used the reference of DS. So, don't think DS journo dressed up CI article
My bad. Tin bar kan dhore utha bosha korbo.
Old August 31, 2011, 09:09 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Shakib, Mashrafe

Quote:

Old September 1, 2011, 09:52 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Sakib , Tamim

Do we really need a head of delegation ? Manager is enough , BCB needs to cut down the unnecessary expenditure !!!
Old September 1, 2011, 10:47 AM
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Shakib, M. Waugh, Bevan

I think rather than an inquest, there needs to be a judicial review of the BCB. I believe that the BCB is at least a quasi-governmental organization if not a fully-fledged government body constituted under a national act, so it should be possible to review their administrative and financial processes for any irregularities or gross incompetence.

In fact, if this dithering regarding establishing a solid first class structure, setting up academies and improving pitches continues, it would be arguable that the Board has been negligent of its stipulated public duties and thus, it would be possible for someone legitimately aggrieved to plead for a writ of mandamus. A writ of mandamus from the High Court could compel the BCB to act in an expedient manner regarding these issues.

(If it's a private entity, then even more avenues for taking them to court for mismanagement, etc. should be available)
Old September 1, 2011, 11:51 AM

Favorite Player: Shakib, Nasir, Sir Don

Quote:
Please take video of the said action and post here!
Old September 2, 2011, 07:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navo
I think rather than an inquest, there needs to be a judicial review of the BCB. I believe that the BCB is at least a quasi-governmental organization if not a fully-fledged government body constituted under a national act, so it should be possible to review their administrative and financial processes for any irregularities or gross incompetence.

In fact, if this dithering regarding establishing a solid first class structure, setting up academies and improving pitches continues, it would be arguable that the Board has been negligent of its stipulated public duties and thus, it would be possible for someone legitimately aggrieved to plead for a writ of mandamus. A writ of mandamus from the High Court could compel the BCB to act in an expedient manner regarding these issues.

(If it's a private entity, then even more avenues for taking them to court for mismanagement, etc. should be available)
Agreed. Just an appraisal of the national team performance wont help. A performance review of BCB is needed first.
Old September 2, 2011, 10:22 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Rohit Sharma

Wow. Big Boss got pwnd in this thread? And here I thought his estimated IQ was a large cardinal.
Old September 3, 2011, 03:24 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: da silva

Quote:

Just employ coaches who can coach... job done. Spend the right money bringing back Fountain and Pont...far cheaper than spending all that money on inquiries and inquests
Old September 3, 2011, 08:21 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: All Bangladeshi players

To me CEO said it well.It seems he have realized the main issue.Series loss against Zimbos are a wake up call for bangladesh cricket.
CEO is planning to make 1.Good wickets 2.Improving FC structure and 3.High performance unit.
I am really waiting for a good FC tourney.

Posted via BC Mobile Edition
Old September 3, 2011, 10:04 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.H.Rubel
To me CEO said it well.It seems he have realized the main issue.Series loss against Zimbos are a wake up call for bangladesh cricket.
CEO is planning to make 1.Good wickets 2.Improving FC structure and 3.High performance unit.
I am really waiting for a good FC tourney.

Posted via BC Mobile Edition
You will have a very long grey beard by the time this happens.
Old September 3, 2011, 06:35 PM
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Shakib, M. Waugh, Bevan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBW103
Just employ coaches who can coach... job done. Spend the right money bringing back Fountain and Pont...far cheaper than spending all that money on inquiries and inquests
Of course, it would be ideal if the BCB hired the right coaches, prepared good pitches, improved our domestic first class structure and set up cricketing academies across the country - all of their own volition, but that hasn't happened so far. A private law suit and particularly a successful writ of mandamus, would legally compel the BCB to act. Even in a country like Bangladesh, which has a rickety legal system, such writs calling into account governmental and quasi-governmental organizations have occured in the past.
Old September 4, 2011, 03:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
Of course, it would be ideal if the BCB hired the right coaches, prepared good pitches, improved our domestic first class structure and set up cricketing academies across the country - all of their own volition, but that hasn't happened so far. A private law suit and particularly a successful writ of mandamus, would legally compel the BCB to act. Even in a country like Bangladesh, which has a rickety legal system, such writs calling into account governmental and quasi-governmental organizations have occured in the past.
The pitches, First class structure, setting up cricket academies - are all things the Board can do but are LONG TERM. No BCB that is Government run, will want to set up something that a change of government can then take the credit for.

Coaches can make a fast difference. Had BD got to the QF or SF of the WC then this thread wouldn't exist.
Old September 4, 2011, 03:27 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

Quote:
Please don't post the picture ...
Old September 4, 2011, 04:03 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

Quote:
And what do you do, when the coach blames his failure on Infrastructure & facilities etc, Like JS did?

BCB provides an extension of 2 year ...

So, infrastructur development should happen in faster pace ... its not so time consuming at all. How much time does it take to make a few good pitches, academies and a working format for 1st class?

if you dont have quality players ... make it open upto 5/6 quality foreign players ... and control the quaity of foreign players.OR provide quality coaches to the teams.
Old September 4, 2011, 04:56 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

"Inquest"! Classic waqaddimah from Waqad "journos" with the tendency to throw decontextualized big words around.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)
Old September 4, 2011, 06:13 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: All Bangladeshi players

Quote:
You will have a very long grey beard by the time this happens.

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Opera Mobile)
Old September 4, 2011, 08:09 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANFAN
And what do you do, when the coach blames his failure on Infrastructure & facilities etc, Like JS did?

BCB provides an extension of 2 year ...

So, infrastructur development should happen in faster pace ... its not so time consuming at all. How much time does it take to make a few good pitches, academies and a working format for 1st class?

if you dont have quality players ... make it open upto 5/6 quality foreign players ... and control the quaity of foreign players.OR provide quality coaches to the teams.
I agree about Siddons. He blamed everyone but himself. So let me ask this: if we could afford Gary Kirsten or Andy Flower, do you think they could make a difference? If not, then why pay any money to a foreign coach? So it IS clear the coach should make a difference I suggest. Siddons just blamed everyone else. This is why I am saying Law bhai should be doing more and not waiting.

With regard to the length of time it takes to make a good FC structure I am guessing a long time. 10 years or more, which makes you wonder why the BCB has wasted the last decade not doing it. Ireland WILL overtake BD in cricket terms within the next 5 years as they will get Test status and are implementing a FC structure now and they are organized.
Old September 4, 2011, 08:30 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Ryan Ten Doescate

Quote:

With regard to the length of time it takes to make a good FC structure I am guessing a long time. 10 years or more, which makes you wonder why the BCB has wasted the last decade not doing it. Ireland WILL overtake BD in cricket terms within the next 5 years as they will get Test status and are implementing a FC structure now and they are organized.
And here is where I must stop you in your tracks. If it takes ten years, then surely Ireland will also take a long time? And how can they become better so quickly if they don't have the funds, resources or the talent we have?