facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old August 4, 2011, 10:27 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib
Default How to tape tennis ball for swing

Hello everyone, every weekend here in New York we play cricket in the park. We play tape-tennis and we tape the ball in normal way. I was wondering if there are any other ways to tape it so the ball will swing. Does putting a seam through the middle helps?
Old August 4, 2011, 02:49 PM
BC Editorial Team

Yes, put a seam up - you'll be able to make it swing like Tarzan Make sure it's prominent though. at least .5 mm or so
Old August 4, 2011, 04:45 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Or tape half of it and you'll put Imran/Wasim/Waqar to shame.
Old August 4, 2011, 05:02 PM
Cricket Legend

yeah i have seen few videos of taping half but never seen it real life. i will try it out this time. should i do one round or two rounds of tapes?
Old August 4, 2011, 06:41 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

injecting liquid in balls
Old August 4, 2011, 08:59 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Curtly Ambrose

welcome mufi_02..... i am the right person to answer u as i was master of swinging and in some case seaming the tape-tennis ball.

what u have to do is first tape the ball 2 and half times.

first tape only one half the the ball. and then tape the ball twice. so one half of the ball is now taped thrice and the rest half has been taped twice. now if u can deliver the ball with enough pace the ball will swing towards the heavier side from a certain point if its flight until it bounces.

so assuming you are a right arm bowler bowling to a right hander. now grip the ball with the heavier side in the left the ball will generate some out swing and if u grip with heavier side in the right u can generate in swing.

now how to keep it secret from other bowlers. this what i did. normally ppl has a tendency to put a virtual seam in the ball. in NDC and BUET our rules was to tape the ball twice and then put two rounds of about 2 cm thick seam.

now most of the bowler will like to hold the ball over the seam. so when u r taping don't divide the heavier side and lighter side with the seam. rather put the seam accross the heavier and lighter side.

so now when u r bowling with ur grip over the seam u wont get any swing movement.

but when u r gripping the ball across the seam, now you must know which way is the heavier and which way is the lighter and thus u can control ur swing in the air.

now if u want generate some seam movement when u r pitching the ball. then u have to use the traditional grips of slightly angled grip over the seam. u can find videos of kapil, wasim, botham of grips used for inwards and outwards seam movement. putting an extra seam of two rounds of tape on a tape tennis almost works the same with the seam of an real cricket ball unless u r playing on a hard cement pitch. if the pitch has some abrasiveness u can get some seam movement with the slightly angular grips.

but shine of tape tennis ball cannot be used to swing the ball like cricket ball. thats when weight of ball comes into play and putting extra mass on one side helps to swing the ball
Old August 4, 2011, 09:16 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Favorite Player: Innocent Bird

Master of swing offstump dada, bcb ki apnake dekhe na? Shafi and Rubel swing korar jadu-montro kichu shikte parto apnar theke

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Android)
Old August 4, 2011, 10:01 PM
Cricket Legend

thank you offstump bhai for the detailed instruction. Most of the times we play in hard cement pitch but they are not very smooth. It is like concrete basketball courts that are very common in New York parks and school grounds.

I was wondering if putting 2.5 times tape will make the ball too heavy or not? You also mentioned roughness in the pitch to be required for swing when pitching the ball. I don't think thats quite possible in the surfaces we play in.
Old August 4, 2011, 10:24 PM

Favorite Player: Shakib, Brian Lara

wow those are great insights offstump! gotta try it out
Old August 5, 2011, 01:25 AM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mufi_02
thank you offstump bhai for the detailed instruction. Most of the times we play in hard cement pitch but they are not very smooth. It is like concrete basketball courts that are very common in New York parks and school grounds.

I was wondering if putting 2.5 times tape will make the ball too heavy or not? You also mentioned roughness in the pitch to be required for swing when pitching the ball. I don't think thats quite possible in the surfaces we play in.
u have to understand between swing and seam.

swing is movement in air, depends on relative shine of cricket ball or weight of tape tennis ball.

seam is movement when ball lands on a certain seam position and deviates its line of motion. for cricket ball live grass on pitch helps the seam movement. for tape tennis roughness of surface helps
Old August 5, 2011, 01:31 AM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadim 98
Master of swing offstump dada, bcb ki apnake dekhe na? Shafi and Rubel swing korar jadu-montro kichu shikte parto apnar theke

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Android)
mojar bapar hoilo ami swing or seam ja kori doctoring kora tape tennis ball e korte pari.

i know the basics of swinging or seaming a cricket ball but BD te jesob pitch e olpo kisudin cricket ball e khelsi oisob basic apply koire khub ekta swing or seam aday korte pari nai.
amar ekta jinis e bhalo control chilo ball delivery korar por seam position scrambled hoito na so ball porar pore skid korto. echara cricket ball e line length maintain chara ar kisu ekta korte partam na. swing 20-35 bar try korle ek adhbar hoito seam or swing movement practice or application er temon time hoito na. and without practice u cannot master a thing

but tape tennis ball e regular try kortam and success paitam so oita onek bhalo partam.

anyway eisob onek bosor aager kotha.
Old August 5, 2011, 10:28 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mo Chow = Chow Mo

Very good technique Offstump da!
Old August 6, 2011, 02:37 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: All the Tigers

Quote:
Originally Posted by offstump
welcome mufi_02..... i am the right person to answer u as i was master of swinging and in some case seaming the tape-tennis ball.

what u have to do is first tape the ball 2 and half times.

first tape only one half the the ball. and then tape the ball twice. so one half of the ball is now taped thrice and the rest half has been taped twice. now if u can deliver the ball with enough pace the ball will swing towards the heavier side from a certain point if its flight until it bounces.

so assuming you are a right arm bowler bowling to a right hander. now grip the ball with the heavier side in the left the ball will generate some out swing and if u grip with heavier side in the right u can generate in swing.

now how to keep it secret from other bowlers. this what i did. normally ppl has a tendency to put a virtual seam in the ball. in NDC and BUET our rules was to tape the ball twice and then put two rounds of about 2 cm thick seam.

now most of the bowler will like to hold the ball over the seam. so when u r taping don't divide the heavier side and lighter side with the seam. rather put the seam accross the heavier and lighter side.

so now when u r bowling with ur grip over the seam u wont get any swing movement.

but when u r gripping the ball across the seam, now you must know which way is the heavier and which way is the lighter and thus u can control ur swing in the air.

now if u want generate some seam movement when u r pitching the ball. then u have to use the traditional grips of slightly angled grip over the seam. u can find videos of kapil, wasim, botham of grips used for inwards and outwards seam movement. putting an extra seam of two rounds of tape on a tape tennis almost works the same with the seam of an real cricket ball unless u r playing on a hard cement pitch. if the pitch has some abrasiveness u can get some seam movement with the slightly angular grips.

but shine of tape tennis ball cannot be used to swing the ball like cricket ball. thats when weight of ball comes into play and putting extra mass on one side helps to swing the ball
Old August 9, 2011, 04:55 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim Iqbal

I just tape half of it lol.
Old October 16, 2011, 09:00 AM
First Class Cricketer

all this discussion reminds of a "chorai" technique we applied on cricket balls during our u-13 and U-15 days. Naturally, one side of the ball was kept as shiny as possible, the other as rough as possible - to assist swing. that's rudimentary for any fast bowler. However, what we used to is - when the drinks guys came in, we'd "accidentally" drop some water on our trousers, to the right and left of the groin. Then, looking to "shine the ball" on it, we'd actually press the roughened-up side to the wet trouser, and get the ball's leather to soak it up. Within a couple of overs, one side got substantially heavier than the other - for our bowlers to swing it with little effort

You have received an infraction at BanglaCricket Forum.