facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old February 24, 2004, 11:39 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Default Roundtable on Cricket- the Daily Star (Transcript)

I don't know if you guys already read about this but Daily Star organized a roundatable discussion on cricket on December 20th.

The Participants were:

Saber Hossain Chowdhury (Former BCB president)

KZ Islam (Former BCB president)

Shah Nurul Kabir Shaheen (Chairman, Tournament Committee, BCB)

Mahbub Anam (Chairman, Cricket Committee, BCB)

Shafiqur Rahman Munna (Chairman, Grounds Committee, BCB)

Maqbul Hussein Dudhia (CEO, BCB)

Mahmud Ul Haq Manu (Director, BCB)

Aliul Islam (Former Chief Selector, BCB)

Mainul Haq (Former Chief Selector, BCB)

Faruque Ahmed (Chief Selector, BCB)

Jalal Ahmed Chowdhury (Cricket coach)

Gazi Ashraf Hossain Lipu (Former national captain)

Ziaul Islam Masud (Former national player and umpire)

Utpal Shuvro (Sports Editor, Prothom Alo)

Khandoker Jamil Uddin (Secretary, Development Committee, BCB)

Sarwar Imran (National coach)

The transcript is as follows:

Mahfuz Anam: Good morning gentlemen. I welcome you all to this The Daily Star roundtable on Cricket: Building a more competitive team.

The daily Star as you know has a tradition of organising roundtables on various important national issues and this is the first time we are actually holding something on sport.

We did organise events around the World Cup football and a quiz contest on World Cup cricket but nothing like this as an intellectual input to promote cricket in Bangladesh....more

Source:Daily Star
Old February 24, 2004, 06:11 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sangakkara

Pompous, thank you ever so much for reminding us all about the effort our media takes in regard of developing our cricket. This is a most up to date post to make some of our posters rethink about their bangladesh media bashing.

Here I am, not irrelevantly, tempted to excerpt from a thread written by one of the forum members, which I find quite ironic after knowing that The Daily Star organized a rountable discussion for our cricket's sake:

U2U sent to Mcinnes (by Billah)

"A word of caution to you: ......You see, in Bangladesh, these journalists do not have the "accountability" issue to deal with.

If you pay a visit to the National Press Club, you will see the process in motion. Opinions are formed right there in long, lazy & cordial conversations or chats...."

Here you will find the full thread
Old February 24, 2004, 06:37 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Naverine bhai you are most welcome. One should always give credit where it is due, and constructively critisize where such is warranted. The Daily Star is generally very constructive in spirit and I enjoy their reporting. But not all the time. Like I said before, I do not buy everything our media says, and that comes from experience.

As far as the whole coach vs. the media controversy is concerned here are my two cents.
Like most other pertinent issues, I choose not to see the conduct of the coach or the subsequent bashing by the media as a black and white issue. Its a bit of both. The coach was wrong in certain aspects, and as such he deserves flak e.g. wrong NRR calculation (one wonders what were his assistant coaches doing also?!), or his outburst against the journalist. The media is right to cirticize him for that. Yet, it is obvious to me, the coach is passionate about his job and competent, and fully committed to his charges. Some of the non-stop bashing, and rumour-hashing and inflamatory remarks by our media were also just too much in my opinion. Just look at some of the rumours that were floating here in the board until McInnes himself clarified!

But like you said, blanket condemnation of our journalists and their ethics is also not right. We have some very eloquent, conscientious, and professional journalists in our country.
Old February 24, 2004, 06:39 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Here I am, not irrelevantly, tempted to excerpt from a thread written by one of the forum members, which I find quite ironic after knowing that The Daily Star organized a rountable discussion for our cricket's sake:

U2U sent to Mcinnes (by Billah)

"A word of caution to you: ......You see, in Bangladesh, these journalists do not have the "accountability" issue to deal with.
Just because DS organised a round table for cricket discussion, it doesn't make them (journalists in BD) suddenly 'accountable' for what they say. These are two unrelated things.
Old February 24, 2004, 06:53 PM
Cricket Legend

Default Exactly,

There is a huge difference between Mahfuz Anam holding a roundtable and the sports reporters being accountable. I interned at the daily star two summers ago and I have had a fair amount of stuff published in that paper ranging from cricket to plitics before and after the internship, so I do have a soft spot for the Daily Star. Having said that, their sports reporting is extremely weak.

If you have put a link to the thread that I think you have posted a link to, you will see that I had commented about how the sports reporters in Bangaldesh hide behind cliches. That particular remark was aimed mainly at the Daily Star, although other newspapers are guilty of it too at times. Just read the Daily Star cricket reports, most of the time, you will learn absolutely nothing more about the game than you know from looking at the scorecard itself. And yet you will read some very fun phrases indeed that you have read a 100 times before, like Bangladesh "skittled" out or "bundled" out for a "paltry" so much. They won't tell you anything much about the game, but they feel that the use of such cliches make their reports worth reading. Rubbish!

[Edited on 25-2-2004 by Sham]
Old February 24, 2004, 07:37 PM
ODI Cricketer

What do you guys think of Saber Hossein Chy? He's a relative of mine.

[Edited on 25-2-2004 by AGC]
Old February 24, 2004, 11:31 PM
First BC Member

Favorite Player: A successful cricketer

Me, too.

Quote:
I do not buy everything our media says, and that comes from experience.
Old February 25, 2004, 02:51 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by AGC
What do you guys think of Saber Hossein Chy? He's a relative of mine.

[Edited on 25-2-2004 by AGC]

Whoa! Pick up that name you dropped!
Old February 25, 2004, 03:05 AM
ODI Cricketer

Lol why?
Old February 25, 2004, 04:11 AM
First Class Cricketer

It was a very nice chat about cricket in daily star. KZ Islam president of the nirman cricket pointed out one topic about diet of our player. I happend to be lucky enough to eat food of different culture and nation. Our food is very poor when it comes to nutritional values. Test wise it is great. In our rice we throw away most vitamines and nutrit with mar. 60% or more of our meal is rice. We donot eat enough protein from meat, get enough calcium from milk and so on. In Australia, USA they put ad to drink 3 glasses of milk per day. Each glass provide 30% of required daily calcium. Calcium translate to bone. Bone translate to strength for cricket. How many of us drank 3 glasses of milk? I never did. Another thing bad about our meal is spice! Too much spicy man! Do we really know how a chicken test like! We know the test of spice like tikka, dopaiza and bla bla. So I think it is a very fundamental problem of our nation, not only for cricket.

[Edited on 25-2-2004 by sage]
Old February 25, 2004, 04:51 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by sage
It was a very nice chat about cricket in daily star. KZ Islam president of the nirman cricket pointed out one topic about diet of our player. I happend to be lucky enough to eat food of different culture and nation. Our food is very poor when it comes to nutritional values. Test wise it is great. In our rice we throw away most vitamines and nutrit with mar. 60% or more of our meal is rice. We donot eat enough protein from meat, get enough calcium from milk and so on. In Australia, USA they put ad to drink 3 glasses of milk per day. Each glass provide 30% of required daily calcium. Calcium translate to bone. Bone translate to strength for cricket. How many of us drank 3 glasses of milk? I never did. Another thing bad about our meal is spice! Too much spicy man! Do we really know how a chicken test like! We know the test of spice like tikka, dopaiza and bla bla. So I think it is a very fundamental problem of our nation, not only for cricket.

There are a huge number of fallacies with that statement, it's true that Bangladeshi's don't get adequete nutrition, but how many Pakistani's get it? Or Indians? Not a significant number, also, both Pakistani's also eat very spicy food, and many Indians are vegeterians, many Africans don't get adequete nutrition either, yet they're great atheletes, some even in cricket, so the other arguments don't work as well. This point is really tangential to our cricketing problems which lie more in attitude and mentality than something as mundane as diet.
Old February 25, 2004, 06:10 AM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by capslock
Quote:
Originally posted by sage

There are a huge number of fallacies with that statement, it's true that Bangladeshi's don't get adequete nutrition, but how many Pakistani's get it? Or Indians? Not a significant number, also, both Pakistani's also eat very spicy food, and many Indians are vegeterians, many Africans don't get adequete nutrition either, yet they're great atheletes, some even in cricket, so the other arguments don't work as well. This point is really tangential to our cricketing problems which lie more in attitude and mentality than something as mundane as diet.
Your thinking process is very much corelated with your diet. Milk is related to strong bone. Orange juice vitamin C sharpen your thinking ability. Is there any doubt about that?When it comes to cricket or any sport it is about strength and agility. Statistically bangladesh player's body mass is the lowest among other test crickter country. Avarage bowling pace in the international cricket is 140 KPH. For BD it is 130 KPH.

Old February 25, 2004, 06:37 AM
First Class Cricketer

India and pakistan also eat spicy food. India, Pakistan plays good cricket, because they are playing with the best teams since british colony.
If you look at the other sports like football pakistan and india comes below bangladesh. Basketball, swimming, marathon in those sports I donot see any pakistani or indian doing very good either. Even thin built chinese and japanies perform better then the subcontinent in every olympics. Cinese and Japanies donot eat spicy food like subcontinent. About Africa, Black people are genetically most strong human being. Look at basketball, Track and field. USA 90% track & Field gold are won by Black athlete. Where African blacks are not as good as american blacks. Beside some part of africa are very modern and developed like South Africa. So that unequivocally prove the significance of diet among athlete.
Old February 25, 2004, 08:34 AM
Cricket Legend

Default KZ Islam is obsessed about out diet

When he appeared before the Enquiry Committee in May of last year, the only suggestion he made was that we should stop all cricket and send all our players to England for 2 years so that they can eat well and come back heathly and properly nourished!

Of course, that was not one of the recommendations that the committee made for obvious reason. KZ Islam is right about our diet being a problem, but he is putting too much emphasis on this one issue and his recommendations to overcome it, atleast to the comiittee, was far too drastic.

ps. Does orange juice really sharpen your thinking ability? I drink a lot of OJ, but I'm still kinda slow!
Old February 25, 2004, 08:38 AM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by Sham
When he appeared before the Enquiry Committee in May of last year, the only suggestion he made was that we should stop all cricket and send all our players to England for 2 years so that they can eat well and come back heathly and properly nourished!

Of course, that was not one of the recommendations that the committee made for obvious reason. KZ Islam is right about our diet being a problem, but he is putting too much emphasis on this one issue and his recommendations to overcome it, atleast to the comiittee, was far too drastic.

ps. Does orange juice really sharpen your thinking ability? I drink a lot of OJ, but I'm still kinda slow!
Problem is somewhere else.. Just kidding. You write well.
Old February 25, 2004, 10:57 AM
Cricket Legend

All of this stuff is a joke. Roundtables are an asinine Bangladeshi thing that have not produced a single action item in 1000 years of history. Sitting around a table or a panel giving speeches is hardly going to move anything forward, but it's nice that the folks took some time out to discuss cricket.

Navarene and others, we need to differentiate between the many good and brave journalists working in Bangladesh in the face of daily threats on their lives, and the weak sports reporting that exists at many papers. Daily Star's sports reporting has always been weak, I like the New Age reports much better. I'm referring to depth in reporting, as for who is making things up, that is hard to tell.

[Edited on 25-2-2004 by rafiq]