facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old August 7, 2011, 03:56 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: da silva
Default "Bangladesh doesn't take Test matches seriously" - Wessels

Former SA and Australian test cricketer, Kepler Wessels has said on commentary that he feels Bangladesh doesn't take Test cricket seriously. On the 3rd morning of the one-off Test in Harare he said:

"I don't think that Bangladesh takes its Test cricket very seriously. I think they are happy at home and playing one day cricket. Zimbabwe however takes it Test cricket very seriously and the first-class franchise system is geared up for Test matches."

Does he have a point and if so, if others can see this, why can't the BCB?

Old August 7, 2011, 04:04 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib

BD players are just lazy , limited

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (iPhone)
Old August 7, 2011, 04:04 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Love them all....

Cause BCB is blind...
Old August 7, 2011, 04:11 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Favorite Player: bhujee kom

I don't like to say it but I agree with Mr Wessel.

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (iPhone)
Old August 7, 2011, 04:14 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: MAM & MBM

Wessel is mad that BCB didn't hire him. Didn't hear a single positive thing about BD team and players from him. I don't want to agree with him on anything even if he is saying the right things.

He thinks Shakib is a very average Test cricketer(says he can bat a bit. Same thing for Riyad). Shakib averaging over 30 with the bat and 28 with the ball. How many bowlers can average less than 30 in Test cricket?
Old August 7, 2011, 04:20 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Tam,Sak,Nasa,Mash

right he is
Old August 7, 2011, 04:41 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: da silva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murad

He thinks Shakib is a very average Test cricketer(says he can bat a bit. Same thing for Riyad). Shakib averaging over 30 with the bat and 28 with the ball. How many bowlers can average less than 30 in Test cricket?
To be a world class batter you should average at least over 40. Even Matt Prior of england averages into the 40s as a wicket keeper. A good international bowler usually averages under 28 and there is no doubt Shakib's bowling at test level is superior to his batting. Shakib's batting technique for the longer game is not what it should be I am guessing.

I don't think you can look at averages until someone has played 20-30 Tests
Old August 7, 2011, 05:05 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Lara & Ashraful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murad
Wessel is mad that BCB didn't hire him. Didn't hear a single positive thing about BD team and players from him. I don't want to agree with him on anything even if he is saying the right things.

Well, he will never join BD. He knows BD has nothing to prove in the world cricket. These players are bunch of club cricketers at best. Unless we look for talents and maul from young age and continue with talent hunt program, we are not going anywhere with cricket.
Old August 7, 2011, 05:07 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Shakib, Mashrafe

I totally agree with his comment. The intention, approach to test match is seriously missing. No need to be expert to understand that. I guess, even Law has already identified it with this test match.
Old August 7, 2011, 05:25 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

We dont take his comment very seriously.
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old August 7, 2011, 05:30 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: tamim,shafiul,mushy

so what exactly do we take seriously? we don't take domestic seriously, neither do we take tests or t20s seriously
Old August 7, 2011, 05:30 AM

Favorite Player: Mash

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBW103
To be a world class batter you should average at least over 40. Even Matt Prior of england averages into the 40s as a wicket keeper. A good international bowler usually averages under 28 and there is no doubt Shakib's bowling at test level is superior to his batting. Shakib's batting technique for the longer game is not what it should be I am guessing.

I don't think you can look at averages until someone has played 20-30 Tests
shakib isn't a world class batter but a decent batter who can bowl...and he is a good bowler who is more than handy with the bat..so in package he is a good player and atm can get into most test sides...so if anybody call ham an average player then imo he is skiping the details
Old August 7, 2011, 05:37 AM
Club Cricketer

Shakib is one decent player but the team needs 11. And i also wonder what bcb is serious about

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Opera Mobile)
Old August 7, 2011, 05:38 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

got to take domestic cricket serously, make it a culture and then it will translate into the international side. players need to be self-motivated, always practising and always learning new things that they can use to improve their game. i guess you call it being a "student of the game" and each series is a test to see whether there has been an improvement or not. if you do minimal practice, have no self-motivation and don't learn about the game and the opposition etc your not really doing much other than just picking up a ball or a bat and going out there, swinging and hoping somehow you'll get a positive result. you make the result positive through hard work and hard work means dedication, practice and learning.

i bet if you ask shane warne and sachin tendulkar that they are always looking for ways to better themselves no matter how good they are, that's the mentality a professional cricketer needs.
Old August 7, 2011, 09:32 AM
Cricket Legend

He is not wrong. Looking at the score card kinda tells you the story ... Zim comming back after 6 years and playing like pros where as we are playing like we just got into the test arena
Old August 7, 2011, 10:26 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: tamim,shafiul,mushy

we don't have the thirst
Old August 7, 2011, 10:40 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBW103

Does he have a point and if so, if others can see this, why can't the BCB?
you know the answer to this.
Old August 7, 2011, 10:57 AM
First Class Cricketer

Why blame BCB only? What about the fans? We really loved our "short-cut" to cricket, and still I hear some people justifying our elevation to the highest level just on the basis of our "huge fan-base". Huh! Getting test status not because we have the quality, but just because we are an over-populated nation who are passionate about this particular sport because there is no other sport to cheer about! In terms of cricket achievement, all we had at this point was a win over Pakistan in an inconsequential game. On the other hand, Ireland, even after their much better performance in this world cup (in comparison to BD 1999), said that are not ready for test-cricket yet. The Irish captain said they need to wait few more years before they become good enough for tests ! We can also look at Zimbabwe. When their cricket was falling apart, they went for a self-imposed exile - they didn't just play on. They didn't have the mentality - "একবার যখন পাইসি তখন ছারুম কেন?". On the other hand, raise that possibility to a BD fan. You will be buried alive .

This short-cut strategy is also reflected on our approach to test-cricket. We NEVER play for draw. We are too good for that. We always want to go for win, always - no exception. We only want Sehwagesque players - no Hanif Mohammad, or even Dravid for that matter. A batsmen with an average 22 has been "the legend" our cricket for so long because he has "all the shots on the book" .

I would personally say we fully deserve this stupid board as well as the cricket team.
Old August 7, 2011, 11:20 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Curtly Ambrose

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamisa
so what exactly do we take seriously? we don't take domestic seriously, neither do we take tests or t20s seriously
we only support our team seriously
Old August 7, 2011, 11:40 AM
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Shakib, M. Waugh, Bevan

Quote:
Originally Posted by offstump
we only support our team seriously
Hear, hear! And that is why there are more threads on the Cricket section of this website than there are accumulated Test runs by all of our batsmen combined. If only 'adda mara' was a sport...
Old August 7, 2011, 12:35 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Wel..as i've said many times before...BD is probably the weirdest team in the world considering that this team always and finds its ONLY source of motivations from some sort of serious humiliations and insults! They only feel the drive to fight back when their credibility is under serious questions and status under serious threats! Gentle diplomatic training and academic motivational talks aren't for BD players (and BD people for that matter) at all! The primarily & solely need serious insults as wake-up calls! Nothing less ever does the trick for them.

So, KW's diplomatic 'they dont take it seriously' wont do any good for these dumbs.. I hope someone tonight in the media says something like.. 'where did this bunch of idiots come from?'. That.. unfortunately..is our only hope of a win tomorrow!
Old August 7, 2011, 12:53 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

what ever... he is just mad that bd didn't pick him as coach... I think he applied one time or something... he was bad mouthing bd from 1st ball...
3. Rubel Hossain: Corey J A bowled; BB McCullum caught; JDS Neesham caught
Taijul Islam: T Panyangara bowled; J Nyumbu lbw; TL Chatara bowled
Taskin Ahmed: DAS Gunaratne c Soumya; Lakmal c fiz; Pradeep bowled
Old August 7, 2011, 12:55 PM

Favorite Player: Mashrafee Mortaza

Its more like they don't know how to take tests seriously. There is a mental block as to how to approach a test match. It seems to me, while they are out there, the only thing they are interested in is enjoying themselves.
Old August 7, 2011, 01:11 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Can't take his ignorant comments seriously. The comment implies that the BCB are less serious about things than the ZC. True the ZC might not be on the up and up, but their past history replete with embezzlement, etc tells us we're on top.

When we pushed England to fight at home and at Lords on a fifth day, what was Wessels thinking then?

I think playing in foreign conditions and being a tad bit rusty by playing 90 over ODIs has gotten Wessels suffering from retrograde amnesia!

#OneTeam1Dream
Old August 7, 2011, 04:26 PM
Banned

By the way bd players are playing in this test match an outsider like wessels can only come up with this kind of conclusion.
Most forgein commies think bd have a decent batting side but they play too many risky shots like playing in an odi.

Posted via BC Mobile Edition