facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old August 21, 2011, 03:00 PM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Sakib Al-hassan
Thumbs up Law wants change of mindset

Stuart Law has called for changes in Bangladesh cricket, both on and off the field.
The new coach of the Tigers who took over a week before the Zimbabwe tour commenced saw losses in the first five matches in charge before the two wins towards the end here at the Queens Sports Club that added respectability to the ODI series scoreline, bringing it to 3-2.
But Law hoped to see technical as well as cultural adjustments for a better future.
“It's not whether they're good tourists but how they perceive their game plans out of the sub-continent. We picked a lot of teams and a lot of field placements that were perfect for the sub-continent, but we're not there,” said Law after the match yesterday.
We need to start thinking a little bit more outside the box when we're away from home. That's just natural at the moment but it's something we can address next time we're away from home,” he added.
Law was also surprised to see the Tigers getting stuck in their hotel rooms rather than making an effort to learn about the country they're visiting.
The players have only been seen mostly frequenting Indian restaurants and going at great lengths to seek home comforts, a bane among many for a long time.
The Australian has however asked for a bit more open-mindedness.
They are a good bunch of blokes, probably like to get them out of their hotel rooms a bit more.
“They've come to Zimbabwe and they've got the opportunity to see wonderful sights; wildlife parks, Vic Falls. Unfortunately all they've seen is cricket ground and hotel rooms. Maybe that'll change in the future,” he said.
Law however admitted that the change must come from “all walks of life” within Bangladesh cricket, rather than just the players.
“I understand Bangladesh are very passionate about their cricket. They do things differently and I think sometimes it might not be to the benefit to the cricket team. What's happened over the years obviously hasn't worked because Bangladesh hasn't lifted off the bottom. Maybe it's time for a few things to change.
“I know I'm going to upset a lot of people when we mention these things but if we really think hard about it, a lot of things got to change. Not just from the players but from all walks of life regarding Bangladesh cricket.
“It's not a negative and harsh thing. It's to try something different to make the boys better and start climbing that ladder,” explained Law.
He cited two examples from different spheres for the rest to follow. He would like the players to play with the freedom that Shakib Al Hasan and Shovogoto Hom Chowdhury, the new recruit, has shown during the last two games.
“Shuvogoto [Hom Chowdhury] played freely, that's how you want all your players to play. Shakib Al Hasan continues to impress, he's a class performer with the bat in hand. He's a good leader.
“That's how you want every player to play, with the freedom and mindset those two guys have shown,” he said

http://www.thedailystar.net/newDesig...php?nid=199658
Old August 21, 2011, 03:08 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: shakib,shourav

hmm shuvagoto team-a chance peye gelo
Old August 21, 2011, 03:09 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: YOURFACE

I'm sure the problem (may be) bigger than what Law has mentioned. But he has the right idea. I hope he can bring some sense into our system of "doing things". And hope he doesn't give in like J.Siddons had to.

But then again, our system is so messed up, and the people involved won't budge. We can hope to take it step by step, and see where it lands us.

I'm with you Coach

Old August 21, 2011, 03:13 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Ryan Ten Doescate

Not everyone can be a Shakib... But you can all have mindsets like him. He's probably the second best thing to happen to Bangladesh.
Old August 21, 2011, 03:18 PM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: tamim, sakib

I concur with coach Law. As I have mentioned before, we have to instill positive mindset and attitude in all our players and restructure our cricket from botom-up.
Old August 21, 2011, 03:31 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

incase anyonemissed law's euphemism....he is trying to say we are whole buncha introverted sissies....
Old August 21, 2011, 03:32 PM
ODI Cricketer

Since the days of Gordon all new coaches, mohsin excepted, wanted things involving bangladesh cricket to change. Everyone knows exactly what needs to be changed as well, but nothing changes. GG, Eddie, Whatmore, Siddons, and, now Law..... Gordon wanted much improved and stronger first class structure before getting the test status. Eddie wanted to overhaul the whole cricket structure, and start a fresh. Whatmore, maybe due to his extensive prior experience with the subcontinent, tried to do best with what he got. Siddons focused on improvement of skills. All of them tried to mitigate the deficiencies of our national team players. Now Law wants to whole hearted change. He will be well advised to have a plan B, for certainly his advice will not be heard or welcomed. He may ask his other compatriots.
Old August 21, 2011, 03:32 PM
Test Cricketer

Cricket ground, hotel rooms & Indian restaurants. LOL
Old August 21, 2011, 03:34 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Ryan Ten Doescate

He has to remember that one of the reasons they probably didn't go out much was Ramadan, and it must have been difficult in alien conditions.
Old August 21, 2011, 03:35 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

notun deshe ashho kotahy masai jatir shomporke janba,shona jatir shomporke janba, zulu jatir shomporke janba, xhosa jatir shomporke janba....tana...ghore boshe boshe dim paro...

mind enriched hole khelau bhalo thake...good to see law is thinking outside the box himself...
Old August 21, 2011, 04:07 PM
Cricket Sage

Very encouraging news for Hom. Looks like he will get enough opportunity in future, not like the way they used a new player before (Jahirul for example).
Old August 21, 2011, 04:08 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

What Law is talking about is the personality aspect of a professional. I would say.. THAT is exactly what the team and the players are lacking for quite a while now. Then again..isnt that exactly the thing which is missing from the subcontinental culture? So.. what he is talking about is not just a 'fault' in mindset...rather it is 'The Mindset' itself. Law surely got a very good clue to the culprit behind the fickle-mindedness of the players...but has he got any clue yet to how deep these emotions are rooted into their heads?

To be honest, I dont feel we should just single out the Cricketers and try finding holes in their brains, because its not just them who are suffering from it. It is actually the upbringing that makes them (and all of us as well) like that. Now..considering that Law will get around 2-4 years time with BD team, lets try to assume his 'wishlist' with remarks on whether it is possible or not:

-Law can ask for a solid first class structure with strong longer version formats: Not gonna happen
-He can try to make the national core of players improve skills and techniques: Very much possible
-He can try to teach the players to handle match pressure and get out of losing situations in a match: Possible
-He can try to teach newcomers (in the team) to cope well at international level: Possible
-He can try to teach the veterans to handle their age, level of expectation from them, responsibilities upon them..proper role..etc: Possible, but quite tough.
-He can try to create an urge among the players to take the team upwards in ranking table: Very tough ask
-He can raise strong voice against whimsical (and manipulated) selection process: Not a very good prospect

There are few more things that our cricket needs..but the above ones are probably primarily crucial at this moment. And judging from the possible outcome of each wishes of Law (only assumptions though).. he will probably get a 50-50 scope to work on the loopholes.

I just hope he is capable enough to make the team go ahead in a better fashion with the things he will be allowed to work on... and not stumble because of the things he wont be.
Old August 21, 2011, 04:34 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Tam,Sak,Nasa,Mash

ekhon bujhchi,SAkib ei kodin India,Eng e onek ghora ghuri korseyto tai perform bhalo koreche.
on the other hand Ryad spend most of the time in a room after getting married,that's why he didn't look fluent until today.
Old August 21, 2011, 04:46 PM
First Class Cricketer

this is the problem of our lads
Old August 21, 2011, 05:05 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Love them all....

Top post Bashir bhai.
Old August 21, 2011, 05:12 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib, Tamim

good thing is, Law is speaking about this at the start of his reign.if he can have some impact on these regards, things might not be all bad.
It is good to let Shakib off captaincy, it will relieve some pressure. He will be offered captaincy again in a few years when he will be more than ready, Bangladesh will voyage into a new horizon then
Old August 21, 2011, 06:27 PM
Street Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahmed_B
What Law is talking about is the personality aspect of a professional. I would say.. THAT is exactly what the team and the players are lacking for quite a while now. Then again..isnt that exactly the thing which is missing from the subcontinental culture? So.. what he is talking about is not just a 'fault' in mindset...rather it is 'The Mindset' itself. Law surely got a very good clue to the culprit behind the fickle-mindedness of the players...but has he got any clue yet to how deep these emotions are rooted into their heads?

To be honest, I dont feel we should just single out the Cricketers and try finding holes in their brains, because its not just them who are suffering from it. It is actually the upbringing that makes them (and all of us as well) like that. Now..considering that Law will get around 2-4 years time with BD team, lets try to assume his 'wishlist' with remarks on whether it is possible or not:

-Law can ask for a solid first class structure with strong longer version formats: Not gonna happen
-He can try to make the national core of players improve skills and techniques: Very much possible
-He can try to teach the players to handle match pressure and get out of losing situations in a match: Possible
-He can try to teach newcomers (in the team) to cope well at international level: Possible
-He can try to teach the veterans to handle their age, level of expectation from them, responsibilities upon them..proper role..etc: Possible, but quite tough.
-He can try to create an urge among the players to take the team upwards in ranking table: Very tough ask
-He can raise strong voice against whimsical (and manipulated) selection process: Not a very good prospect

There are few more things that our cricket needs..but the above ones are probably primarily crucial at this moment. And judging from the possible outcome of each wishes of Law (only assumptions though).. he will probably get a 50-50 scope to work on the loopholes.

I just hope he is capable enough to make the team go ahead in a better fashion with the things he will be allowed to work on... and not stumble because of the things he wont be.
He can try and teach all those things and I am sure he will, however technique and skills are not the issue Law will need to make significant inroads into mental toughness, thats where Bangladesh is behind the other nations, when it get hard, or when the pressure is on that's when they go missing. Look at Dravid, you could argue he is the least skillfull of the Indian's at the moment yet he is toughest, and he gets the tough runs.

I am not sure how to put this, but I fear that some of the boys are mentally incapicated and have a limited ability to learn ie they are dumb. Whats the point of having a talented cricketer like Ashraful who has remained the same since he was 16, its better to find guys that may have less talent, but slowly steadily get better, and eventually cross him and leave him behind. Look at Ricky Ponting, his average, slowly climbed from the mid 40s to the 50s, same with Alistair Cook, his average is climbing, means they are improving - we need to look for players who can improve as well as talent.
Old August 21, 2011, 06:33 PM
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Shakib, M. Waugh, Bevan

The coach might not be able to change the entire domestic first class structure single-handedly but he can definitely broaden the minds of our young players through creative initiatives. I remember how the great Australian team of the early 2000s visited Gallipoli before an Ashes tour in England. Many ANZAC soldiers fell there during the Second World War and for the Australian cricketers it must have put in perspective their losses and achievements but also given them a grander sense of purpose; of national pride.

While we may not have an exact equivalent abroad, there are definitely many things to draw inspiration from. Our Academy, A Team and National players have visited South Africa quite a few times but I wonder if they have visited Robben Island, where Nelson Mandela was imprisoned for 27 years, even once? Such nurturing along with developing cricketing acumen, is very necessary.
Old August 21, 2011, 07:06 PM
Cricket Legend

now that I think about it... we have toured Zimbabwe so many times.... never saw a picture of the team in a wildlife park or at vic fall. the team management should have organized sth...

i remember seeing some pictures of the team visiting a safari in Kenya or South Africa.... or is it some other team I am thinking about....

As for Stuart Law's comments: its always hard and sometimes impossible to make changes from bottom-up when it comes to management....
Old August 21, 2011, 07:27 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Graeme Smith

Considering that they didn't feel it appropriate to waste time acclimatizing to conditions with practice matches, I'm not surprised that they didn't go out to visit the parks and attractions. Too bad really, Zimbabwe is a beautiful country, and Victoria Falls remains the best place I've ever been in my life.

As for Law, I wish him all the luck. Whether he achieves it or not, I hope he at least makes some headway. Mindset is the biggest thing holding us back (not just of players, but of board as well), and it can be a cause of many of the other problems plaguing our cricket today.

And I wonder what's the chance of Law opening an account here like Pont or Julien? That would be quite awesome (and probably depressing for him).
Old August 21, 2011, 07:51 PM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib and Shafiul Islam

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeshanM
incase anyonemissed law's euphemism....he is trying to say we are whole buncha introverted sissies....
This is exactly what a felt when I was reading this article. He didn’t say it directly but indicated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ialbd
now that I think about it... we have toured Zimbabwe so many times.... never saw a picture of the team in a wildlife park or at vic fall. the team management should have organized sth...
Exactly I agree with you.Yes, they aren't traveling in Zim and players weren't playing good crickets, may be they didn't feel it appropriate to visit Zoo,Vic waterfall etc instead sitting in hotel room and chatting.I feel they should have been to those places.Also team management should have organised sth.I liked eveything Law said about thinking about out of the box and learning about country you visiting.
Old August 21, 2011, 07:59 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Nirala

I bet we if we saw a few pictures of the guys out and around and having fun after the games we lost, we all would have been like, 'shalara mathe giya haare abar shok koto baag bhalluk dekhte gese safari te'.
Old August 21, 2011, 08:07 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: All the BD players

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangladesh_sy
I bet we if we saw a few pictures of the guys out and around and having fun after the games we lost, we all would have been like, 'shalara mathe giya haare abar shok koto baag bhalluk dekhte gese safari te'.
so true bro
Old August 21, 2011, 08:14 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Shakib, Mashrafe

Quote:
ditto !
Old August 21, 2011, 08:14 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Graeme Smith

Quote:
That is quite true. Doesn't mean we are right though.