facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old September 10, 2011, 01:36 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Love them all....
Default What about BCB captain?

What about BCB captain?

Mohammad Isam
It has almost been a week since Manic Monday when Bangladesh Cricket Board directors gathered to depose the captain of the national team at an abnormally dizzying speed; a decision that has left the Tigers with a leadership vacuum.
The verdict, especially the manner in which it was taken, can be described as an act of Nero and has revealed how poorly the BCB itself is led.
The meeting on September 5 was not scheduled to discuss the captaincy. Among the several agendas were the four tour reports, compiled individually by the coach, manager, chief of delegations and selector. How these reports were turned into such an important decision soon became well known, like every other classified information within the cricket board.
It is suggested that a clique of directors planned the move and raised the topic of Shakib Al Hasan's removal as captain (and Tamim Iqbal's as the deputy) for failing to lead on and off the field, their disciplinary indiscretions being the major talking point. But it was down to just one person with the authority to put a stop to this sudden move and take sensible strides.
AHM Mustafa Kamal, the BCB chief, could have easily told his colleagues to calm down and discuss the issue, maybe fine and suspend the duo before making such a drastic decision, since it was bound to be taken at some point.
Let alone take that route or order a full inquiry into the matter, Kamal took the easiest option: he sided with the impetuous directors and did as they pleased.
He decided to paper over the cracks, sideline the other important major issues. Rather than finding out why the national team was so inadequately prepared for the Zimbabwe tour or why the pitches across the country are dead or why the country's first-class tournament is termed picnic or why Shakib and Tamim were never brought under the law, Kamal took his favourite route: showboating, staying in the headlines, etc.
It was not much of a surprise, and it would not be a surprise if Shakib is all of a sudden reinstated. It could happen, for this cricket board is in the phase of its worst presidential cycle.
Never before has any BCB chief taken the country's cricket so many steps in the opposite direction. His actions have not been proactive and for the last two years, Kamal has been the most unpopular president in the board's history. So much so, his words which should have been honoured and cherished, is not taken seriously by anyone in the fear of a publicity stunt.
Without going into too many examples, two of his latest ones would be good enough to illustrate the aforementioned statement. On August 18, Kamal categorically said that the board should be investigated rather than the players after the Tigers had conceded the ODI series to Zimbabwe. "Players are not the main problem," he said just 23 days ago.
A month or so earlier, Kamal's handling of the ICC presidency matter was questionable to say the least and if it ultimately doesn't come to Bangladesh, everyone will point the finger at him.
The speed at which he often shifts his stance on pressing matters has made him a president unpredictable. If this were a cricket match, the batsman Kamal would have been out hit wicket.
There has been an erosion of professionalism within the BCB too, resulting in the vicious rumour that a section within the cricket board is planning to take professionals out of the board and reopen the gate for glorified amateurs to take major decisions. What Saber Hossain Chowdhury, the visionary former BCB president, strived to change all those years ago for the greater good of cricket in Bangladesh is being dismantled quite easily by the man in charge now.
It is glaringly obvious that Kamal has least control over the board, which has looked utterly lost as an organising body.
As the Tigers look for cricketing salvation against West Indies next month, the BCB too has to get its act together soon. Under such a leader, it is a fanciful possibility at the moment.
http://www.thedailystar.net/newDesig...php?nid=201925

Old September 10, 2011, 01:58 PM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Sakib Al-hassan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarWolf
What about BCB captain?

Mohammad Isam
It has almost been a week since Manic Monday when Bangladesh Cricket Board directors gathered to depose the captain of the national team at an abnormally dizzying speed; a decision that has left the Tigers with a leadership vacuum.
The verdict, especially the manner in which it was taken, can be described as an act of Nero and has revealed how poorly the BCB itself is led.
The meeting on September 5 was not scheduled to discuss the captaincy. Among the several agendas were the four tour reports, compiled individually by the coach, manager, chief of delegations and selector. How these reports were turned into such an important decision soon became well known, like every other classified information within the cricket board.
It is suggested that a clique of directors planned the move and raised the topic of Shakib Al Hasan's removal as captain (and Tamim Iqbal's as the deputy) for failing to lead on and off the field, their disciplinary indiscretions being the major talking point. But it was down to just one person with the authority to put a stop to this sudden move and take sensible strides.
AHM Mustafa Kamal, the BCB chief, could have easily told his colleagues to calm down and discuss the issue, maybe fine and suspend the duo before making such a drastic decision, since it was bound to be taken at some point.
Let alone take that route or order a full inquiry into the matter, Kamal took the easiest option: he sided with the impetuous directors and did as they pleased.
He decided to paper over the cracks, sideline the other important major issues. Rather than finding out why the national team was so inadequately prepared for the Zimbabwe tour or why the pitches across the country are dead or why the country's first-class tournament is termed picnic or why Shakib and Tamim were never brought under the law, Kamal took his favourite route: showboating, staying in the headlines, etc.
It was not much of a surprise, and it would not be a surprise if Shakib is all of a sudden reinstated. It could happen, for this cricket board is in the phase of its worst presidential cycle.
Never before has any BCB chief taken the country's cricket so many steps in the opposite direction. His actions have not been proactive and for the last two years, Kamal has been the most unpopular president in the board's history. So much so, his words which should have been honoured and cherished, is not taken seriously by anyone in the fear of a publicity stunt.
Without going into too many examples, two of his latest ones would be good enough to illustrate the aforementioned statement. On August 18, Kamal categorically said that the board should be investigated rather than the players after the Tigers had conceded the ODI series to Zimbabwe. "Players are not the main problem," he said just 23 days ago.
A month or so earlier, Kamal's handling of the ICC presidency matter was questionable to say the least and if it ultimately doesn't come to Bangladesh, everyone will point the finger at him.
The speed at which he often shifts his stance on pressing matters has made him a president unpredictable.

If this were a cricket match, the batsman Kamal would have been out hit wicket.

There has been an erosion of professionalism within the BCB too, resulting in the vicious rumour that a section within the cricket board is planning to take professionals out of the board and reopen the gate for glorified amateurs to take major decisions. What Saber Hossain Chowdhury, the visionary former BCB president, strived to change all those years ago for the greater good of cricket in Bangladesh is being dismantled quite easily by the man in charge now.
It is glaringly obvious that Kamal has least control over the board, which has looked utterly lost as an organising body.
As the Tigers look for cricketing salvation against West Indies next month, the BCB too has to get its act together soon. Under such a leader, it is a fanciful possibility at the moment.
Excellent report by DS.
Old September 10, 2011, 01:59 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: tamim,sakib

A very good article by MD.ISAM.

Posted via BC Mobile Edition
Old September 10, 2011, 02:28 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Lara & Ashraful

Hey, what happened to Saber Hussain? Any chance we could pressure on Gov. to reinstate Saber Hussain as BCB Chairman.
Old September 10, 2011, 02:31 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: da silva

I really like Mo Islam as a writer. So let me say that up front.

The issue for the BCB has been to steady the ship ON the field. Whatever the shortcomings of the Mustafa Kamal may well be true, but the fact is he doesn't play in the team. Kamal might be someone who could be doing far, far more and he might be someone who has no idea what he should be doing, but the fact is that he - and the other members of the board - do not take the field in the name of Bangladesh.

Shakib and Tamim were given that important duty. Regardless of what any of us think about the BCB, it was Shakib and Tamim running the show that lost the Test match heavily and the first three ODI's against Zimbabwe, plus the shameful 58 all out vs WI and the 78 all out vs SA in the WC.

Yes all the things that need to be set in place for the infrastructure of cricket are down to the Board. However, the same board was in place when BD did the 4-0 Tiger Wash against NZ. They are the same board that were in charge when BD won 7 of the last 8 ODIs at the end of the year.

I am guessing the issue over Shakib (and the problems due to his attitude, his lack of man-management and also the way he deals with the media) probably led to a decision that needed to take place - once the board members saw the reports from ZIM and spoke to key people. It was undoubtedly a combination of many factors and not just the Zim tour, although the embarrassment of that to the board was clearly unforgivable.

The captaincy carries the glory, hopes, dreams and hearts of a 160 million BD cricket fans. It also carries with it total responsibility. Abuse that, even inadvertently, and captain will not last long.

I don't feel the BCB can afford to be seen to do nothing. They will of course have to face their own questions that Mo Islam has described. Right now, they have acted. Let's at least praise them for taking action.
Old September 10, 2011, 03:13 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib, Amla

In a problem solving exercise it's not only the "what" that's important, but also the "why" and the "how" that should be investigated. Neglecting the "why" and "how" aspects could lead to a solution akin to "matha betha dekhe matha kete fela", in other words a solution that's worse than the problem itself.

I feel that's precisely what the BCB has done here...this decision was made hastily to sweep under the rug a lot of $hit that would've eventually hit the fan and lead to pointing the finger at themselves. The repercussion I fear the most is the life of the new captain will be unnecessarily a whole lot more difficult than it had to be.
Old September 10, 2011, 03:18 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: All Bangladeshi players

Really that was an excellent article by Md Isam.It was well thought and brave article.Thank you Md Isam Vai from my heart for such a time bound article.

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Opera Mobile)
Old September 10, 2011, 05:15 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Mash, De Villiers.

Superb article. Absolutely well-written. Thank you Md. Isam bhai.
Old September 10, 2011, 05:30 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib, Tamim

Md Isam is the writer I respect and am ready to support at all times these days. he provides insight, and raises the right issues.

another gem from him indeed.
It is good to let Shakib off captaincy, it will relieve some pressure. He will be offered captaincy again in a few years when he will be more than ready, Bangladesh will voyage into a new horizon then
Old September 10, 2011, 07:15 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Wow! Isam! Top stuff... I think this is the time to start a letter writing campaign that highlights our dissatisfaction at the arbitrary and unprofessional manner in which the BCB is administering cricket in our country. Please continue to speak truth to Power.
Old September 10, 2011, 07:57 PM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBW103
I really like Mo Islam as a writer. So let me say that up front.

The issue for the BCB has been to steady the ship ON the field. Whatever the shortcomings of the Mustafa Kamal may well be true, but the fact is he doesn't play in the team. Kamal might be someone who could be doing far, far more and he might be someone who has no idea what he should be doing, but the fact is that he - and the other members of the board - do not take the field in the name of Bangladesh.

Shakib and Tamim were given that important duty. Regardless of what any of us think about the BCB, it was Shakib and Tamim running the show that lost the Test match heavily and the first three ODI's against Zimbabwe, plus the shameful 58 all out vs WI and the 78 all out vs SA in the WC.

Yes all the things that need to be set in place for the infrastructure of cricket are down to the Board. However, the same board was in place when BD did the 4-0 Tiger Wash against NZ. They are the same board that were in charge when BD won 7 of the last 8 ODIs at the end of the year.

I am guessing the issue over Shakib (and the problems due to his attitude, his lack of man-management and also the way he deals with the media) probably led to a decision that needed to take place - once the board members saw the reports from ZIM and spoke to key people. It was undoubtedly a combination of many factors and not just the Zim tour, although the embarrassment of that to the board was clearly unforgivable.

The captaincy carries the glory, hopes, dreams and hearts of a 160 million BD cricket fans. It also carries with it total responsibility. Abuse that, even inadvertently, and captain will not last long.

I don't feel the BCB can afford to be seen to do nothing. They will of course have to face their own questions that Mo Islam has described. Right now, they have acted. Let's at least praise them for taking action.
OMG! u must be the paid spokesperson for the board!
Old September 11, 2011, 03:20 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: da silva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddog
OMG! u must be the paid spokesperson for the board!
No maddog, I just understand how cricket works - unlike you. There are three sides to every argument, the board's side, the players side and the truth. Somewhere in the middle are the facts that we will never know.

Again you miss the entire point (as usual) that is the players are in control of what THEY do. The board has some serious things to deal with in terms of mismanagement and implementing change. The CEO was man enough to admit all this and say it. The players have yet to do the same on their part, that's all. The (EX) captain keeps talking about scapegoats, but I am sorry to say it is him that is running the team and his players taking to the field. The results are his and his alone.

We can all blame lack of preparation, economy flights, board members in changing rooms, and whatever else we want, but at the end of the day the captain and players are responsible for what they do ON THE FIELD.

Finally, I hope you start to understand this. You appear to have no clue how cricket works, no clue how teams are run. no clue how taking responsibility happens and above all no clue about being a leader and simply getting on with the job in hand.

To help you further, here is part of an excellent post by nahaz explaining that point to you:

Firstly about Tamim... he has been looking like an idiot for a year now. I think its part of his own game to talk himself up. But he is taking too much pressure on himself. The guy is not doing something right. However, I cannot point to what that exactly is as I am not the coach. It is however my recommendation that he keeps his gob shut till he performs consistently for a series. And he should never diss an opponent the way he has this year. Puts pressure on himself AND makes our team look arrogant. If he uses half his brain I believe he will score big consistently. And I do believe he will start scoring in 3-4 years like Cook is doing now, if he concentrates only on his own game. He is eager to lead vocally, but clearly that is hindering his game. I think he puts in work, but does not plan well. He probably just practices his slog-sweeps and pulls and works on his fitness rather than concentraitng on his whole game.

Now Shakib...he by his own admission does not practice bowling. Maybe the time has come for him to do that. Not sure how good he actually is with his batting.. he is one of the best three currently in the team but maybe he can be our Murali with the ball if he gives greater emphasis. With all the sponsorships and foreign contracts, captaincy was one thing too many on his plate. It is good for his own game that he lost it.

In terms of the controversies, it definitely sounded like he was taking certain people's sides (Razzak, Rakib) and dissing others ( Riyad, Ashraful, S Nafees) from multiple reports. Now, I have not been in the dressing room, but neither have you, to back him so vocally. With these things, some of the allegations always turn out to be right. His behaviour definitely was not befitting a captain's if any of these are true.

Now, some mentioned he felt the wrath for being an Abahoni captain or sth or other. There definitely can be personal grudges against him, but I am sure that without valid reasoning not even the BCB would dare take such stern measures of action against Shakib. Stop being a blind fan and try to understand other people's logic/emotions

There is a saying - control the controllables. This means (I will explain because you will not understand this) that only worry about the things under your direct control. Reflect on whether the (EX) captain and players have done that - or have they sought to bring up off the field issues all the time to deflect from their very, very, very demoralising performances recently.

Whether the board have sacked SAH and TIK to cover up their mistakes or not, the truth is they would not have been sacked if the team had won well in ZIM as they said they would. (Shakib "we are favourites"... following on from his "qualifying for the QF of the WC is simple" and then the 58 all out and 78 all out).

Yes we can all look at board failings but control the controllables. The team and the (EX) captain have not done that.

I put it as simply as possible so you can cope with it and start to get it at last.
Old September 11, 2011, 06:17 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

Good article from Isam.

Saber hossain will not get a nod from the PM. So who else? But replacing lou with kodu also might just be a temporary solution for satbilizing the current situation & bridge the gap between board & players.

Here I like to also mention that, while Tutul is trying to get the legislation passed to oust / close the way for all the ex cricketers coming to the cricket board; I would like to see more of them. This guy (De facto VC of BCB) also needs to go ASAP.
Old September 11, 2011, 08:12 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: tamim,shafiul,mushy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarWolf
What about BCB captain?

Mohammad Isam
The speed at which he often shifts his stance on pressing matters has made him a president unpredictable. If this were a cricket match, the batsman Kamal would have been out hit wicket.There has been an erosion of professionalism within the BCB too, resulting in the vicious rumour that a section within the cricket board is planning to take professionals out of the board and reopen the gate for glorified amateurs to take major decisions. What Saber Hossain Chowdhury, the visionary former BCB president, strived to change all those years ago for the greater good of cricket in Bangladesh is being dismantled quite easily by the man in charge now.
and if this article were a public congregation, lotus would already have received jutar bari, pocha dim and tomato and jutar mala. the headline is screaming out, " loittar gaale gaale juta maro taale taale, loittar chamra tule nebo amar!"
Old September 11, 2011, 08:12 AM
Cricket Legend

btw isam, great article!
Old September 11, 2011, 12:57 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib, Tamim

hopefully within a few years, when the board president will need to be elected, Saber can come through the elections.
It is good to let Shakib off captaincy, it will relieve some pressure. He will be offered captaincy again in a few years when he will be more than ready, Bangladesh will voyage into a new horizon then
Old September 12, 2011, 09:28 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib

I would really recommend Saber H Chowdhury. I personally got a chance to meet him years ago and he is such a nice amiable person. He doesn't come across as the regular corrupt BD politician type.

But I think he moved on and is busy with other stuff. So beside him I don't see any other good replacements. I had high hopes for the current CEO Manzur. But so far he has been disappointing. He is a puppet controlled by Lotus
Old September 12, 2011, 02:25 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mufi_02
I would really recommend Saber H Chowdhury. I personally got a chance to meet him years ago and he is such a nice amiable person. He doesn't come across as the regular corrupt BD politician type.

But I think he moved on and is busy with other stuff. So beside him I don't see any other good replacements. I had high hopes for the current CEO Manzur. But so far he has been disappointing. He is a puppet controlled by Lotus
Uni initiative nie khamakha chakri ta Harare chaan na.
Old September 14, 2011, 02:12 PM

Favorite Player: Shakib, Nasir, Sir Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahms
Hey, what happened to Saber Hussain? Any chance we could pressure on Gov. to reinstate Saber Hussain as BCB Chairman.
I heard pigs were flying.
Old September 16, 2011, 05:04 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Shakib, Mashrafe

Old September 16, 2011, 09:32 AM
Cricket Legend

what? ashraful captain?
Old September 16, 2011, 02:34 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Sakib , Tamim

This Loitta and Jalal group will try to make some body from Abahani ( Riyad) to be next captain.
Both Shakib and Tamim were from Mohamedan.
Old September 16, 2011, 03:11 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Mash, De Villiers.

Hmm..according to the Youtube clip posted above. We might see 2 separate captains for test & ODI format. Not a bad idea if you ask me. But I hope it is the right pick though.
Old September 16, 2011, 05:08 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Sakib , Tamim

Read this article from "Baler Kantha":
http://www.dailykalerkantho.com/?vie...e_id=1&index=1
Old September 16, 2011, 08:42 PM
First Class Cricketer

good reporting.