facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old August 12, 2015, 01:32 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mash, Shak, Enam, Riyad
Default Zimbabwe in Bangladesh 2016

We know the next full series for Bangladesh is against Zimbabwe at home early next year. I found the proposed schedule,

Jan 15-17: Practice match for Zim @ Fatullah
Jan 20-24: First Test @ Sylhet
Jan 28-Feb 01: Second Test @ Khulna
Feb 05: First ODI @ Khulna
Feb 07: Second ODI @ Khulna
Feb 10: Third ODI @ Chittagong
Feb 12: First T20 @ Chittagong
Feb 14: Second T20 @ Chittagong
Feb 16: Third T20 @ Chittagong

Again this is proposed and I found this on FB. Seems accurate enough. I guess Dhaka will be busy with under19 WC so thats why no matches there. I think its a great move if we do get all the matches in Sylhet, Khulna and Chittagong. Should be 3 tests rather than 2. Like the 3 T20 part.... need that more with Zimbabwe who are more competitive in that format
Old August 12, 2015, 01:40 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Since that is the T20 WC year, I guess the ura-dhura cheap entertainment (cricket) series will have to do for now.

+++
This is to ask to the naysayers that we don't want to play against lower ranked teams?
Old August 12, 2015, 01:46 PM
Cricket Legend

I thought it was 5 or 7 ODIs
Old August 12, 2015, 01:58 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Mullah,Soumya,Taskin,Must

Getting tired of seeing Zimbabwe play vs BD again and again , I.wish we could arrange more tours vs teams ranked higher up.
Old August 12, 2015, 02:07 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

According to official FTP it is 3 Tests, 5 ODIs, 3 T20Is...of course that can be changed, and it is kinda likely that BCB wouldn't want to risk points in case of a upset win by ZIM. Still want to see 3 Tests and have them at Sylhet, Khulna, Fatullah if Mirpur and ZACS are being used for U19 world cup.
Old August 12, 2015, 02:37 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tyrion, Varyse, P.Baelish

Quote:
Originally Posted by al Furqaan
According to official FTP it is 3 Tests, 5 ODIs, 3 T20Is...of course that can be changed, and it is kinda likely that BCB wouldn't want to risk points in case of a upset win by ZIM. Still want to see 3 Tests and have them at Sylhet, Khulna, Fatullah if Mirpur and ZACS are being used for U19 world cup.
I wish those T20Is could be reduced to a solitary one...

Or probably they're scheduling because of the world cup around.

"Offense is taken, not given"
Old August 13, 2015, 04:57 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sangakkara, Mike Hussey

good to see reduced number of ODIs. No point playing a month long tour against Zimbabwe.

Also, great to see that cricket is spreading across the country, Khulna finally getting 2 ODIs, CTG getting a good share of the T20s.

A bit dissappointing that Rajshahi stadium and Cox's Bazar one isn't being used. Maybe it will be ready in the next 2-3 years for international games
Old August 13, 2015, 05:39 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Favorite Player: Innocent Bird

Hope its 3 odi's. No point playing 7 of them. Rather play 5 T20I. Would be beneficial before the T20 WC
Old August 21, 2015, 09:10 AM
Test Cricketer

I'm hoping for some local advice

Let's assume Sylhet and Khulna host the Test matches.
I've been contemplating visiting Bangladesh to watch a Test match.

How hard is it to get to either of these cities from Dhaka? How long would it take? Would it be easier to get to Khulna from Kolkata or Dhaka?

Thanks
Old August 21, 2015, 11:33 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by battye
I'm hoping for some local advice

Let's assume Sylhet and Khulna host the Test matches.
I've been contemplating visiting Bangladesh to watch a Test match.

How hard is it to get to either of these cities from Dhaka? How long would it take? Would it be easier to get to Khulna from Kolkata or Dhaka?

Thanks
Good to hear from you. From Kolkata to Khulna... No direct service. You must have to take a train/bus to the border and cross it (do immigration) and take taxi/bus to Khulna.

There is a train service from Kolkata to Dhaka. Moitri (friendship) train. 11/12 hours. Crossing the border, immigration etc.

From Dhaka to Khulna you can take bus, taxi, train or steamer. Bus service is very good. Mostly it leaves Dhaka late night and you arrive there early morning. Train takes longer but safer. Steamer is an adventure. 2 days. But you will see the scenic Bangladesh.

I am not sure if there is a direct flight from Dhaka to Khulna yet. Airport was under construction/planning. Usually they take you to Jessore (30-45 minutes in plane) and from their a bus/taxi to Khulna. hour/hour and half drive.

At Khulna, you will find 4 star hotels. The city is much cleaner and less populated.
+++
Sylhet: I know there is direct flight (30-45 mintues) from Dhaka. Never been there but heard one of the best scenic places in Bangladesh. It is in my list of places to see.

Chittagong is another place like Dhaka with a ocean nearby. Bus, train, plane all good.
Old August 21, 2015, 09:25 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Hashim Amla

It should be a fun series. an improving Zimbabwe side under Dav Whatmore's Coaching + some Bangladeshi fans attitude towards ZImbabwe(Read: Arrogance) I expect ZImbabwe to pull at least one win.

It should be a good series for those non-performing BD players and those players who are struggling to find form to prove a point or two.
Old August 22, 2015, 02:05 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib,Tamim,Anamul

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHRAM
good to see reduced number of ODIs. No point playing a month long tour against Zimbabwe.

Also, great to see that cricket is spreading across the country, Khulna finally getting 2 ODIs, CTG getting a good share of the T20s.

A bit dissappointing that Rajshahi stadium and Cox's Bazar one isn't being used. Maybe it will be ready in the next 2-3 years for international games
U19 WC will be on that time in SBNS & Cox's bazar stadiums.
Old August 22, 2015, 02:50 AM
BC Staff
BC Bangladesh

Favorite Player: Mash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifat
It should be a fun series. an improving Zimbabwe side under Dav Whatmore's Coaching + some Bangladeshi fans attitude towards ZImbabwe(Read: Arrogance) I expect ZImbabwe to pull at least one win.

It should be a good series for those non-performing BD players and those players who are struggling to find form to prove a point or two.
Zim might win a T20 or the T20 series, if we continue our form i'll be surprised if Zim wins one ODI, test is anybodys game but i think we'll will not lose a test

if we keep our feet on ground Most likely the results will be same as last time
Old August 22, 2015, 04:19 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
Good to hear from you. From Kolkata to Khulna... No direct service. You must have to take a train/bus to the border and cross it (do immigration) and take taxi/bus to Khulna.

There is a train service from Kolkata to Dhaka. Moitri (friendship) train. 11/12 hours. Crossing the border, immigration etc.

From Dhaka to Khulna you can take bus, taxi, train or steamer. Bus service is very good. Mostly it leaves Dhaka late night and you arrive there early morning. Train takes longer but safer. Steamer is an adventure. 2 days. But you will see the scenic Bangladesh.

I am not sure if there is a direct flight from Dhaka to Khulna yet. Airport was under construction/planning. Usually they take you to Jessore (30-45 minutes in plane) and from their a bus/taxi to Khulna. hour/hour and half drive.

At Khulna, you will find 4 star hotels. The city is much cleaner and less populated.
+++
Sylhet: I know there is direct flight (30-45 mintues) from Dhaka. Never been there but heard one of the best scenic places in Bangladesh. It is in my list of places to see.

Chittagong is another place like Dhaka with a ocean nearby. Bus, train, plane all good.
Thanks Tigers_eye. Is Sylhet on your list of places to see in late January 2016 by any chance?

I can't find a lot of info online about Khulna or Sylhet, but from what I have found it sounds like Khulna is the better city to visit.

How long would it take on a bus to get from Dhaka to Khulna? How much would it cost roughly; and what sort of buses are they? (ie. air conditioned coaches)
When you mention taxis - how would that work? Would it have to be organised in advance? And would it be expensive?

It's actually a shame none of the Tests will be in Dhaka as it does complicate any potential trip. It sounds like I'd lose 2 days just getting to and from Dhaka and Khulna?
Old August 22, 2015, 10:06 AM
Street Cricketer

Favorite Player: Brian Lara, Mike Atherton

From a tourist's point of view Sylhet will be a few leagues ahead for a place to visit comparing to Khulna. You have the Greenline AC Bus which takes 5to6 hours from Dhaka Rajarbagh to Sylhet. Sylhet city is as usual like any other metropolitan city with 2/3 4-star quality hotels 5/6 3-star quality hotels. But the scenery just at the suburbs of the city is the best barring maybe just cox'sbazar in Bangladesh. The tea-gardens, the hilly outskirts of the city is magnificent. There are few resorts and water-falls within 50 miles of the city worth visiting. And the Sylhet Divisional Stadium built by BCB is the most beautiful stadium in BD and one of the most beautiful stadium in the world. There are tea-gardens all-around the stadium and a golf course right beside it. Also there is a natural hill which is a part of the gallery and spectators sit on the grassy slopes from down to high up for viewing the match...almost like what you see in Johannesburg SAF but the slope is a lot more steeper as it itself is a hill. And the club-house section of the stadium is reminiscent of old colonial-era cricket grounds. The most awesome feature is the wicket of this ground. It is made of the local yellowish very sticky hillside-clay soil and is rumored to be the most fast & bouncy, the most seamer-friendly pitch in Bangladesh. I, for one am eagerly waiting for the first Sylhet Test; I was there to witness the first Test of Bangladesh at the Bangabandhu Stadium and witnessed the first test century by a Bangladeshi 145 by Aminul Islam Bulbul and God-willing will be there for the first Sylhet Test.
Old August 22, 2015, 10:43 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.G.Freeman
From a tourist's point of view Sylhet will be a few leagues ahead for a place to visit comparing to Khulna. ....
Doc, I must take that you haven't been to Khulna ever. The word Mangrove forest means anything to you? How about sanctuaries for endangered species? Yes, spotted dear in hundreds coming to one place to drink water at dawn and dusk wouldn't be an experience that you would want to have? The Crocs sun bathing, Dolphins passing by, or the monkeys wouldn't be interesting things to watch in the narrow rivers. Let alone the variety of Birds that you may have not seen in your entire life. If you are lucky may be you could see footprints of recently passed by Tiger. All these are available at Hiron point. The sixty dome Mosque (66 actually) built 400+ years ago is standing. And if you cross the Rupsha bridge you would think you are in a foreign country (USA).

+++
The bus drive from Dhaka-Khulna is all air-conditioned bus. You can get a ticket on the day of travel. 7/8 hours with a stoppage in the middle. The ticket price shouldn't be that much. Less than $10.

As for Taxi you have to get it in Dhaka. Usually if you can tag along with others that is the best option. $100 one way.
Old August 22, 2015, 11:00 AM
Street Cricketer

Favorite Player: Brian Lara, Mike Atherton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
Doc, I must take that you haven't been to Khulna ever. The word Mangrove forest means anything to you? How about sanctuaries for endangered species? Yes, spotted dear in hundreds coming to one place to drink water at dawn and dusk wouldn't be an experience that you would want to have? The Crocs sun bathing, Dolphins passing by, or the monkeys wouldn't be interesting things to watch in the narrow rivers. Let alone the variety of Birds that you may have not seen in your entire life. If you are lucky may be you could see footprints of recently passed by Tiger. All these are available at Hiron point. The sixty dome Mosque (66 actually) built 400+ years ago is standing. And if you cross the Rupsha bridge you would think you are in a foreign country (USA).

+++
The bus drive from Dhaka-Khulna is all air-conditioned bus. You can get a ticket on the day of travel. 7/8 hours with a stoppage in the middle. The ticket price shouldn't be that much. Less than $10.

As for Taxi you have to get it in Dhaka. Usually if you can tag along with others that is the best option. $100 one way.
I agree with you in all your points....but I said/meant Sylhet the city comparing to other cities. For all the magnificent places you described, don't you have to leave Khulna city and it's suburbs to experience? I know Sundarban is no match to any other place accept may be St. Martins island but what I meant to say is you don't have to leave Sylhet city or it's suburbs to experience what I described. But clarify if I'm wrong, don't you have to leave Khulna with a tourist group to enjoy all that?
Old August 22, 2015, 11:46 AM
Cricket Legend

I'd be surprised if Zim manages to win either ODI or test against us in our den, even with the Whatmore factor since he only knows Shakib, Tamim and Rahim.
Old August 23, 2015, 07:15 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Tam,Sak,Nasa,Mash

against Zim in ODIs I hope some senior players to be replaced by guys like Bijoy and Momin.
These two need some exposure to show what they are capable of & strengthen our batting resources.
Old August 23, 2015, 09:36 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.G.Freeman
I agree with you in all your points....but I said/meant Sylhet the city comparing to other cities. For all the magnificent places you described, don't you have to leave Khulna city and it's suburbs to experience? I know Sundarban is no match to any other place accept may be St. Martins island but what I meant to say is you don't have to leave Sylhet city or it's suburbs to experience what I described. But clarify if I'm wrong, don't you have to leave Khulna with a tourist group to enjoy all that?
Yes, you have leave the town. A whole day affair may be even two days to get the real experience.

As I said, Sylhet is in my list of places to visit. Truly city wise it should be Among the top. Logistic wise it should be better for Battye since time is a factor.
Old August 24, 2015, 07:29 AM
Test Cricketer

I was never intending a long trip though. 4 nights, possibly 5 nights was about what I was thinking. Which is probably fine if it's Dhaka only, but if I start losing days taking a bus or even flying to other cities as well it starts to eat into that time significantly.
Old August 24, 2015, 11:30 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: A few

BCB wants to cut a Test from Zimbabwe series

The BCB is in discussion with Zimbabwe Cricket to cut one Test from the bilateral series to be held in January next year. Naimur Rahman, the BCB cricket operations committee chairman, said that the proposed reduction was due to Bangladesh's preparations for the Asia Cup T20 and World T20 tournaments following the Zimbabwe series.

Full Story: http://www.espncricinfo.com/banglade...ry/913331.html
Old August 25, 2015, 03:32 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Favorite Player: Innocent Bird

2 test
3 odi's
3 T20's.

Good but should make 5 T20's Will be perfect practice...
Old August 25, 2015, 04:03 AM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

Nix the "practice games" and ditch the ODI's. 3 Tests. 3 WU T20's and 5 T20I's. We closed our businesses in ODI's for the year.

What good comes from playing Zim in ODI's now? There's no benefit for us playing Zim in ODI's anymore. Only thing that will do is overshadow our successful year by getting termed as a HTB. We should be challenging SL/NZ/ENG in ODI's home/away and raking up points in Tests and T20's vs Zim/WI/Pak. We don't get any Tests as it is. Don't cut the tests. Naimur guy is pissing me off! Even when is trying to do the "right" thing.
Old August 25, 2015, 04:27 AM
BC Staff
BC Bangladesh

Favorite Player: Mash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadim
2 test
3 odi's
3 T20's.

Good but should make 5 T20's Will be perfect practice...
why cut tests, we barely play this format, i would cut all the ODIs, no point playing ODI with Zim, in case of australia it had a point. 3 tests and 5 T20s for me but from a marketing point of view its a bad move to cut the ODIs