facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old May 11, 2015, 12:03 PM
Cricket Guru

Default 'A bad captain can make a great team look ordinary' : Tiger Pataudi

A great read. You can read the whole interview from CI, I am just posting parts that I really liked.

Quote:
You once famously said that captaincy is all about either pulling from the front or pushing from behind. We could begin with an elaboration.
What I meant was that you had some captains who were great players themselves - [Don] Bradman, [Garry] Sobers, [Richie] Benaud. They led by the sheer force of their performance. Then there were captains like [Mike] Brearley, [Ray] Illingworth, myself to an extent, who were not the best players in their sides. We had to push the team from behind, get the best players to perform to the best of their ability. Bradman and Sobers walked ahead and others followed. Inspiration flowed from their performances. Whereas a captain who is not a terribly inspiring performer himself has to rely on extracting the maximum from his best players.

First and foremost, a captain has to be honest, to the team and to himself. It should be obvious that the best interests of the team should be top of his agenda. His team-mates must feel in their hearts that the captain's personal interests come below that of the team.

A captain can't make a player perform beyond his ability. That's impossible. But very often, players are performing at only 50% of their ability. A good captain lifts that up to 80% and 90%. And I think Brearley got Botham to perform at 100%

The other thing is to always pick your best team. Pick the best batsmen, pick the best bowlers. It doesn't matter who you are playing or where.

So you are saying team selection should not be based on conditions or opposition?
I have never believed in the horses-for-courses theory. Harbhajan [Singh] will get you wickets on a green top and Kapil Dev will get you wickets on a turner, because they are both good bowlers. A bad seamer will not get you wickets on a green top and a bad spinner will not get you wickets on a turner. I played four spinners because they happened to be the best bowlers around. I had no Kapil Dev, so playing a seamer just for the sake of balance was useless.

And the captain must seize the moment…
Yes, the sooner you are able to see the moment, the sooner you act. Sometimes moments come and go. Good captains, experienced captains, know to utilise the smallest openings. Sometimes two overs can change a game.

You have to be alert and you have to be thinking all the time. And to be a thinker, you must be familiar with cricket history. Reading a bit of cricket literature, knowing about great players of the past helps. Unfortunately, not many modern players read anything.

A good captain must have a fair idea about the limitations of his side. I know a lot of Tests are ending in results nowadays and plenty of risks are being taken. I have always believed that you should play to win, but the approach varies from individual to individual. In Test cricket, it sometimes makes sense to ensure that you don't lose the match.
Old May 11, 2015, 12:05 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib

let me guess, another Muhsy Bashing thread?
Old May 11, 2015, 12:07 PM

Good and timely thread Eshen

Now, waiting how Mufi might enlighten us...
Old May 11, 2015, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mufi_02
let me guess, another Muhsy Bashing thread?
How come you see "Mushy" allover it? I don't see anything...!!
Old May 11, 2015, 12:15 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpurush
Good and timely thread Eshen

Now, waiting how Mufi might enlighten us...
with all due respect (not like steyn) KP da, it is my opinion that our failures in both tests isn't because of Mushy. There are many other major factors for the poor performance. The buck doesn't stop at him. But last few days, it seems like all the problem in the world is because of his captaincy. I beg to differ and maybe the only person here now who thinks that. This is just my opinion, maybe a very ill informed one. I can't enlighten anyone because I am just novice among many experts here. So its better to be quiet.
Old May 11, 2015, 12:26 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Quote:
...So its better to be quiet.
yet you have the highest # of post in this thread. The total count including mine is 6. Literally quiet naki internet Banglacricket "onoshon quiet"?
Old May 11, 2015, 12:32 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
with all due respect (not like steyn) KP da, it is my opinion that our failures in both tests isn't because of Mushy. There are many other major factors for the poor performance. The buck doesn't stop at him. But last few days, it seems like all the problem in the world is because of his captaincy. I beg to differ and maybe the only person here now who thinks that.
Mufi, I actually agree with you here - the buck doesn't stop at Mushfiq.

With our success in the ODI, T20I, and the 1st Test, I think both Hathuri and Mushfiq went over adventurous, created a green top, decided to bowl first, and in the process have given advantages away to Pakistan.

As Pataudi mentioned, you have to know limitations your team have (in our case, not having good Test pacers), select your best players, and make strategy based on that, regardless who the opposition is. Our coach/captain unfortunately went the other way in the last match.

BTW, not trying to bash anybody. This is growing pain for us. I hope our team management learn both from their own mistakes and also from this sort of advises offered by past greats.
Old May 11, 2015, 12:44 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
yet you have the highest # of post in this thread. The total count including mine is 6. Literally quiet naki internet Banglacricket "onoshon quiet"?
I should have not commented at all then. I will not add anything about this matter. Will come back during India series
Old May 11, 2015, 12:55 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eshen
Mufi, I actually agree with you here - the buck doesn't stop at Mushfiq.

With our success in the ODI, T20I, and the 1st Test, I think both Hathuri and Mushfiq went over adventurous, created a green top, decided to bowl first, and in the process have given advantages away to Pakistan.

You are giving too much credit were it doesn't deserve. I wholeheartedly wished the bold part was the case. But it is not. When Sarkar is tagged as a pacer, one already knows they are reaching for straws (excuses) while drowning.

If they were truly adventurous then they would know they made a mistake at the end of Day one. Even now they are not admitting it. They are blaming it on the Shahadat's injury. Nothing adds up with a off field strategy with on field implementation. You carry 8 batsmen, somehow luckily win the toss and choose to field?

2 days under the sun fielding, batting last chasing; that is minimum of 10 sessions of advantage giving up for first hour in session one?

Did you see Aameer Sohail's face when he heard Mushfiq wanted to bowl? He was like "really"?
+++
Mesbah would have bowled because he had 4 bowlers in his team plus an alrounder. They were desparate to get 20 wickets to win the series. We on the other hand, had to do is see off session one.

Back on topic. Tiger Pataudi. 4 spinners is the way to go.
Old May 11, 2015, 12:56 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
I should have not commented at all then. I will not add anything about this matter. Will come back during India series
Joking Mufi. Without you BC is not the same.
Old May 11, 2015, 01:10 PM
Cricket Guru

Keep in mind, unlike how it was back in the time for Pataudi, Imran Khan, or Ranatunga, captaincy nowadays a shared responsibility between the coach and the field captain. When you talk about selecting your best players, negotiating with selectors for them, and help the players realize their full potential - the coach is the primary one responsible, captain comes secondary.

So, again, I agree with Mufi not to single out Mushfiq on those issues. However he can still do us a huge favor - put the team's interest before your own and give the keeping gloves away to someone better. All those dropped catches are huge demoralizer for the bowlers and always give momentum away to our oppositions.
Old May 11, 2015, 02:46 PM
Test Cricketer

Mushy needs to step down as captain and focus on batting and keeping.. Solution is simple.
Old May 11, 2015, 03:57 PM
ODI Cricketer

very timely share of a great interview.

"Even when he was injured and not playing, his presence in the dressing room motivated his players."

In the light of that quote, wish we can have Mashrafe as a mentor in test squad.
Old May 11, 2015, 04:03 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

Mash is doing both, sometimes leading from the front and even when he fails to perform, he knows how to push from behind and get your best players to perform well. He's an inspirational leader.

Mushy isn't inspirational any more. If he gives up the WK I think his batting could be inspirational. But his batting doesn't inspire the team, Bcoz his WK flaws/drops neutralizes that effect
Old May 11, 2015, 05:28 PM
BC Editorial Team

I read the piece and also thought how Mushy just doesn't make the sum greater than the whole of the parts.
Old May 11, 2015, 06:17 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

mike brearly kintoo onek kichu jane captaincy shomondhe
Old May 11, 2015, 08:35 PM

Favorite Player: Shakib, Brian Lara

Quote:
with all due respect (not like steyn) KP da, it is my opinion that our failures in both tests isn't because of Mushy. There are many other major factors for the poor performance. The buck doesn't stop at him. But last few days, it seems like all the problem in the world is because of his captaincy. I beg to differ and maybe the only person here now who thinks that. This is just my opinion, maybe a very ill informed one. I can't enlighten anyone because I am just novice among many experts here. So its better to be quiet.
You are much more knowledgeable than you give yourself credit for. Different opinions make dicussions more interesting and i would like to hear yours.
Old May 12, 2015, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadukor
You are much more knowledgeable than you give yourself credit for. Different opinions make dicussions more interesting and i would like to hear yours.

মুফি ছাড়া বিসি = লবন ছাড়া পান্তাভাত
Old May 12, 2015, 09:38 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: maxwel,miler-ryder-warner

perfect example: mushfiq rahim
Old May 12, 2015, 09:42 PM
Test Cricketer

Except Mash we don't have any player with captaincy material! !!