facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old October 25, 2011, 04:20 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Default Mushfiqur consecutive declaration on debut sets a landmark

Quote:
Mushfiqur's consecutive declarations a landmark
Equally significant for Bangladesh as Elias Sunny's debut showing, was another landmark: Mushfiqur Rahim's declarations in consecutive innings

Mohammad Isam
October 25, 2011
The headlines from Chittagong are likely to be dominated by the performance of the debutant Elias Sunny, whose seven wickets, including a five-for, added drama to a match doomed by rain. Equally significant, though, was another landmark: Mushfiqur Rahim's declarations in consecutive innings, on the fourth and fifth days, the second of which threw the match tantalisingly open.

Fact is, declaring isn't something that comes naturally to Bangladesh captains - they are a breed more used to looking towards the opposition dressing-room for the signal, which perhaps can excuse the timing of both declarations in the match. What made Mushfiqur's decisions all the more notable was that this was his first Test as captain - and he became only the fourth captain to declare twice on debut, after Waqar Younis, Andrew Strauss and Alastair Cook..

Declarations against Bangladesh have occurred a staggering 38 times in the 70 Test matches they have played so far. On only two of those 38 occasions have Bangladesh found a favourable result, a draw, but even those were due to inclement weather. Mushfiqur has been out in the field on 12 such instances, first as a 16-year-old at Lord's and on the last occasion in Harare, where Brendan Taylor's century forced Bangladesh out of the one-off Test match in August. Only two previous Bangladesh captains, Habibul Bashar (2004 and 2005) and Mohammad Ashraful (2008), have had the luxury of declaring an innings, though in the latter's case it was due to the game being affected by rain rather than any solidity from the team.

Bangladesh's 350-9 in the first innings of the Chittagong Test was deemed enough for a bowling attack that included two debutants and a man who was returning to international cricket after more than a year. Sunny was well supported by Shakib Al Hasan, Mushfiqur's trump card, while Rubel Hossain and Shahadat Hossain provided a degree of discipline from the other end. West Indies went on to improve their overnight score (144-5) by a hundred runs, before Shakib wrapped up the tail with three wickets in the span of 14 balls. Bangladesh's opening pair, Tamim Iqbal and Imrul Kayes, though, struggled on the sluggish pitch, which lost the crust of its topsoil after just three days of use. With the track being difficult, only Shahriar Nafees managed a half-century. With two and a half hours left to play, and Bangladesh ahead by 225, Mushfiqur declared a second time.

The lack of experience in such circumstances aside, Mushfiqur had to weigh his bowling options before being bold. On Monday, the last 45 minutes of the Bangladesh innings seemed needless, as Naeem Islam and Shahadat Hossain meandered along quietly after Nasir Hossain was dismissed. The second innings too was, at 42 overs, a bit too lengthy as none of the batsmen hit their stride on a track that had begun to turn more with every delivery. It prompted talk of negativity, but the lead was only 225 runs and it isn't every day that they get to set up a fourth innings chase.

Only a Bangladesh captain - Khaled Mashud and Khaled Mahmud spring to mind - can understand how elusive a declaration could be. Mashud and Mahmud led before Bashar and their stints were regarded as the dark days of Bangladesh cricket, inundated with huge innings defeats, three-day losses and an overdependence on Mohammad Rafique.

Mushfiqur was right in pointing out that West Indies will be under more pressure in Dhaka to win the series than his team. Now, without dwelling too much on the achievements from the rain-curtailed Chittagong Test, Mushfiqur must plan for the next Test and five more days of consistency from his bowlers and batsmen.

Mohammad Isam is senior sports reporter at the Daily Star in Dhaka

Source: Cricinfo >>
Isam again...

I am browsing off pc; would a mod kindly format it right?

Last edited by reverse_swing; October 25, 2011 at 04:47 PM.. Reason: mod.edit
Old October 25, 2011, 04:46 PM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

Don't wanna take anything away from Rahim, but I think Sammy did play a big part in this declaration. As soon as Rahim walked into bat, Sammy and the WI players were all over him. Now, IDK what they were bugging Rahim about, but it did play a part of sure.

If we were planning to declare, and set a tempting target, why did they take up 42 overs to score only 119 runs? They should have batted 10 over less, and should have scored 60+ more runs. 275 off 50-55 overs would've have been even better!

But like Islam says on that article, we are still getting used to this "declaring thing," we'll learn. Big up to Rahim
Old October 25, 2011, 05:54 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Shak-Ash-Tam

Mushy's everything on debut is landmark. He is the change we needed
I'm with Shahbag for fair punishment of all war criminals. Im with Shahbag to stand for fair trials of all Corruption, all murders and social injustices occurred over last 40 years. I'm for a secular, corruption free & Just society in Bangladesh. Spirit of '71
Old October 26, 2011, 04:23 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: An honest player; a trier

I still maintain we should have declared before start of the 2nd day of play (day4). We could have won the match if we had taken the risk. For the record, I said this just after the start of the 4th day's play before Elias even started taking al these wickets. Reall opportunity missed.

I cannot believe we have drawn a match where there was 2/3 odds of us winning (in my opinion)...
Old October 26, 2011, 05:49 AM
First Class Cricketer

http://www.espncricinfo.com/page2/co...et/537988.html

Cricinfo's Page 2 *which I've "recently" become a huge fan of * posted this.

It indeed is a remarkable display on character, specially on your test captaincy debut!

You have received an infraction at BanglaCricket Forum.
Old October 26, 2011, 06:32 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Tam,Sak,Nasa,Mash

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANFAN
Mushy's everything on debut is landmark. He is the change we needed
hehe,we just need one more change, remove Loitta

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Android)
Old October 26, 2011, 06:34 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Tam,Sak,Nasa,Mash

lol,what if WI had chased it down
damn this should go to Faguneragun bros thread.
Chondorpol's injury discouraged WI to go for a win.

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Android)
Old October 26, 2011, 06:56 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sakib, Mashrafi, Tamim

Anyway Mushy took a couragouse decision.
Old October 26, 2011, 07:12 AM
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Shakib, M. Waugh, Bevan

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaman_f
http://www.espncricinfo.com/page2/co...et/537988.html

Cricinfo's Page 2 *which I've "recently" become a huge fan of * posted this.

It indeed is a remarkable display on character, specially on your test captaincy debut!
This has made me ridiculously happy. Cricinfo and Page 2 especially just pokes fun at us *wipes tear from eye*
Old October 26, 2011, 09:36 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: tamim,shafiul,mushy

agamiteo tumi ei kaj bohubar korbe, ei amader kamona! tomake janai pran dhala shubhechchha mushy!
Old October 28, 2011, 10:59 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: The big hearted ones

Quote:
Originally Posted by deshimon
Anyway Mushy took a couragouse decision.
I am not sure how the declarations can be termed sporting. The fact that he got to declare twice does not make it a courageous decision. I was totally baffled by the way Bangladesh approached on the 4th day. I would've liked our batsmen to go after the bolwing when we got close to the 300 marks and up the tempo. The way Nayeem played was nothing but a loser mentality. I know he may have been told to just play the anchor role even then he could've taken singles every now and then instead of being bocked down. Our 2nd inning batting was even worse the way Tamim batted. Their whole approach showed that they were playing for a draw.