facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old October 27, 2011, 02:52 AM
Administrator

I have no idea if any of these still exist:

Star Hotel - on Bonogram Road south of Thatari Bajar.

Khaowa Dawa on Chowk - Specialty was kacchi and morog moslloam

Hotel Pithaghar - used to be in Bangobandhu avenue near BNS. Freat for pithas plus Duck bhuna and bhuna khichuri.

Nuraani - on Chowk for Lassi.

Does Haji's make kacchis these days. When I lived in Dhaka, they only did Tehari. We would get thee around 4:30 ish for his first dekchi opening.

To add to nengtagolla's comment, try also paya and rumali ruti from any of the restaurants lined up along shadarghat early for breakfast. Yes, you can also get the same from Dhansiri but it does not have the same ambience.
Old October 27, 2011, 03:03 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunaid

Khaowa Dawa on Chowk - Specialty was kacchi and morog moslloam

Hotel Pithaghar - used to be in Bangobandhu avenue near BNS. Freat for pithas plus Duck bhuna and bhuna khichuri.

Nuraani - on Chowk for Lassi.

Does Haji's make kacchis these days. When I lived in Dhaka, they only did Tehari. We would get thee around 4:30 ish for his first dekchi opening.

To add to nengtagolla's comment, try also paya and rumali ruti from any of the restaurants lined up along shadarghat early for breakfast. Yes, you can also get the same from Dhansiri but it does not have the same ambience.
Thanks for that extensive list. I might be going to bongo...might try out some then.

This time I will be restricted to family friendly restaurants and mainly in dhanmondi or gulshan area. Any of these great dishes in those vicinity?

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Blackberry)
Old October 27, 2011, 03:12 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BASSMAN
Thanks for that extensive list. I might be going to bongo...might try out some then.

This time I will be restricted to family friendly restaurants and mainly in dhanmondi or gulshan area. Any of these great dishes in those vicinity?

For deshi/subcontinental food, I like Santoor in Dhanmondi (old 25) and Sajna in Banani.

If you are interested in Mexican, El Toro in Gulshan does a reasonable job.

For deshi Chinese - this last trip I enjoyed Xindian and the old Chili's is a perennial favorite. This time we did not go and do not even know if it still exists.
Old October 27, 2011, 04:29 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: ShakTikMashNasir(ShakV2)

Quote:
However my wife is interested in chicken patties. I remember there were a few near shobanbhag. Any other suggestions in dhanmondi for good chicken patties?

BASSMAN bhai, near Rapa Plaza (Sobhanbag Moshjid par hoye 27 jete haat er left side a porbe), Dhanmondi 27 there is a shop named SAUSLYs. Try both beef samosa and chicken samosa from there and yes they probably sell chicken patties too. You will love almost everything made my Sauslys they are so yummy! Issh jeev a pani chole ashche, oder samosa ta specially la-jawab!

Quote:

It still exists sir, this is the first branch of Star, I guess they will not close it unless they close all the branches of Star. Dhakaia culture you know! And Haji makes only biriyani (beef) umm yes it's tehari indeed.
Old October 27, 2011, 05:23 AM
Administrator

And here's a surprise:

The best ice cold latte?

The restaurant at Aaarong (27 nombor)
Old October 27, 2011, 06:40 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6_Turbo
What Premium are you talking about?

Dhanmondi has two Premium Sweets, one on Shaat masjid road, opposite to the lake(opened only a few months ago) and they have another in Dhanmondi 4. A couple in Uttara and Gulshan, also one at the airport.

Standards were still impeccable, unless something has changed in the last 3 months. They let you taste everything before you make a purchase(as I said, I don't eat sweets, so I had my wife taste everything, before we bought things )...the stores were clean, staff very professional, and the sweets looked more hygienic than most hospital ORs in Bangladesh.
I'm talking about the one on Gulshan 2 roundabout. I was there last in 2009 and it just wasn't the same as when I tried it when it first opened in '03. I don't know if all these stores are affiliated or not so yeah it may have just been that one store or just the batch of mishti that we got.
Old October 27, 2011, 08:51 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Shakib, Tamim, Mash

I also heard that Rosh is a big deal now.

Is cat's eye still in Business? I Used to love that store..What is the best place to buy executive shirts and some quality Fotuas nowadays?
Old October 27, 2011, 09:04 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib

This thread is making me very nostalgic. I want to go to Dhaka!!!!
Old October 27, 2011, 09:18 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: 75 69 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by roman

Is cat's eye still in Business? I Used to love that store..What is the best place to buy executive shirts and some quality Fotuas nowadays?
Yes, Cat's Eye is still in business, and Aarong is still among the best for Quality fotuas...:-)
"And be true to every promise- for, verily you will be called to account for every promise which you have made." - [Al Qur'an - 17:34]
Old October 27, 2011, 09:20 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Shakib, Tamim, Mash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isnaad
Yes, Cat's Eye is still in business, and Aarong is still among the best for Quality fotuas...:-)
Thanx vaia
Old October 27, 2011, 09:47 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: 75 69 29

Quote:
Thanx vaia
Anytime bro..
"And be true to every promise- for, verily you will be called to account for every promise which you have made." - [Al Qur'an - 17:34]
Old October 27, 2011, 10:17 AM
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Shakib, M. Waugh, Bevan

Quote:
For deshi/subcontinental food, I like Santoor in Dhanmondi (old 25) and Sajna in Banani.

For deshi Chinese - this last trip I enjoyed Xindian and the old Chili's is a perennial favorite. This time we did not go and do not even know if it still exists.
Chili's is still open (as of January 2011) and I think Xindian is as well. I remember hearing that Chilis and Santoor have the same owner...

The last time I went to El Toro was in the unlikeliest of circumstances. In November 2007, a few friends of mine (including a Mexican) and I went overland from Kolkata to Dhaka. At the border, I found out that Cyclone Sidr was about to hit the country. Some of you might remember the chaos that enveloped the country after that. Whole villages destroyed and no electricity in Dhaka for almost 2 days. My mother felt bad that my friends were spending their evenings in darkness at home and said that on our last night we should find a place to eat outside which had a generator. We found El Toro to be open but was serving dinner by candlelight. It is perhaps unsurprising that in such darkness the meat in the burritos and quesadillas was decidedly undercooked resulting in most of my friends having varying degrees of tummy trouble. Valentin was delighted though and spent the entire evening trying to procure Coronas and getting the waiter to waive the bill "as he was Mexican".

Otherwise, I've found the food to be quite tasty. I hear they even have actual corn tortillas now rather than just flour chapattis
Old October 27, 2011, 11:53 AM
Banned

Quote:

Sajna was banging. Their kebab rolls were wow.

I don't know but except for me everyone enjoys xindian. The Chinese that I used to go was near ziagatola at the end of satmasjid road in dhaanmondi. One was beside jims kitchen and the other was opposite side of the road, can't recall names.
Chillis was quite decent, might give that place ago if someone recommends the quality.

Old October 27, 2011, 11:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakedzero
BASSMAN bhai, near Rapa Plaza (Sobhanbag Moshjid par hoye 27 jete haat er left side a porbe), Dhanmondi 27 there is a shop named SAUSLYs. Try both beef samosa and chicken samosa from there and yes they probably sell chicken patties too. You will love almost everything made my Sauslys they are so yummy! Issh jeev a pani chole ashche, oder samosa ta specially la-jawab!.
Sausly was also a very good place to eat. The hunter beefs were quite good. I used to especially like the club sandwhich.

Old October 27, 2011, 12:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
And here's a surprise:

The best ice cold latte?

The restaurant at Aaarong (27 nombor)
There was a small juice bar in the corner of a building in bailey road loacted behind some fast food shops that served the best coffee milk shake and they were the best shakes I have ever had.

Old October 27, 2011, 12:03 PM
Banned

Quote:

My friends used to love the shirts. They had a good brand promotion team. But man they did make some funky designs and large collars.

Old October 27, 2011, 12:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navo
Chili's is still open (as of January 2011) and I think Xindian is as well. I remember hearing that Chilis and Santoor have the same owner...

The last time I went to El Toro was in the unlikeliest of circumstances. In November 2007, a few friends of mine (including a Mexican) and I went overland from Kolkata to Dhaka. At the border, I found out that Cyclone Sidr was about to hit the country. Some of you might remember the chaos that enveloped the country after that. Whole villages destroyed and no electricity in Dhaka for almost 2 days. My mother felt bad that my friends were spending their evenings in darkness at home and said that on our last night we should find a place to eat outside which had a generator. We found El Toro to be open but was serving dinner by candlelight. It is perhaps unsurprising that in such darkness the meat in the burritos and quesadillas was decidedly undercooked resulting in most of my friends having varying degrees of tummy trouble. Valentin was delighted though and spent the entire evening trying to procure Coronas and getting the waiter to waive the bill "as he was Mexican".

Otherwise, I've found the food to be quite tasty. I hear they even have actual corn tortillas now rather than just flour chapattis
Thanks for sharing that story. I tried el toro maybe some 10 years ago. Had my first margharita. Shame not many halal Mexican in the uk.

Old October 27, 2011, 12:31 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
There was a small juice bar in the corner of a building in bailey road loacted behind some fast food shops that served the best coffee milk shake and they were the best shakes I have ever had.

This is still the best fresh juice seller of the town. Baily Road is very close to my house. It's 7-8 minutes walking distance. I like their KAACHA AAM ER JHAAL Fresh JUICE and KAAMRANGA'r Juice.
Old October 27, 2011, 02:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
This is still the best fresh juice seller of the town. Baily Road is very close to my house. It's 7-8 minutes walking distance. I like their KAACHA AAM ER JHAAL Fresh JUICE and KAAMRANGA'r Juice.
Since we are talking about everyone's nostalgic food places and you are a bailey road local, please can you recall the popular fast food shop near the juice bar.they also have a branch in dhanmondi in a shopping complex at the beginning of 27 road dhanmondi.

Also is the restaurant opposite of the road to the juice bar still in operation in bailey road? The one that sells paratha and curry?

Old October 27, 2011, 02:35 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib

If you come into Mirpur area, I will recommend Shakwat's Kabab in the original-10, close to bihari saari stores.
Old October 27, 2011, 02:37 PM
Banned

Here is a list of other things that I might tuck into if time permits

-Special shawarma in pitta bread in arabian fast food at dhanmondi
-thick paratha bread from yosouf bakery
-freshly pressed sugar can juice
-kichuri at the small shop in shobanbhag beside the fast food shops
-faluda at star kebab dhanmondi
-fuchka in dhanmondi

Old October 27, 2011, 11:59 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Since we are talking about everyone's nostalgic food places and you are a bailey road local, please can you recall the popular fast food shop near the juice bar.they also have a branch in dhanmondi in a shopping complex at the beginning of 27 road dhanmondi.

Also is the restaurant opposite of the road to the juice bar still in operation in bailey road? The one that sells paratha and curry?

Are you talking about Golden food or Dominous or Helvetia ? Can't get which one you are talking about. Jai hok, egular pashei abar achhe Swiss, Golpia Burger. I miss Mr. Burger jeta onek onek agey close hoye giyechilo. Baily road er 1st generation shop chhio eta.

The restaurant that used to sell paratha and curry was named Bamboo Castle. Not it's not there anymore. They are closed. You can try Fokruddin's Curry as alternate. The GORUR MOGOJ CURRY was my favorite one. Ekhane akhon hoyechhe Capital confectionery. Besh koyek years dhore ekhane arekta khabar dokan hoyechhe naam Baily hut. Ekhane Chicken Tikka ta besh bhaloi. They sell different kebabs too. ROSH er akta branch to baily road a onek din dhore achhe. Rojar Iftari te ROSH er Chikon jilapi onek onek famous. Onek lomba line hoy eta kenar jonno, line chhara bikri korena.

Baily road a akhon new add hoyeche Boomers, KFC, Pizza Hut, BFC and few more. Cafe 33 naam er arekta khuleche, eta music cafe, you can both eat and enjoy music together. Arekta khulechhe guide house er ei dik a, sharir dokan gulor shathe - AL-BAIK. Al-Baik probably multinational chain, kar kachhe jano shunechilam middle east a eta khub famous, Bangladeshi ra ekhane onek jawa asha kore. Ei muhurte r kichhu mone porchhena.

I'd like to add another name, SHWARMA HOUSE, eta hochche hatir pool kacha bazar er okhane, actually katabon bola chole. Okhane Beef/Chicken Shwarma Dhakar moddhe best. Oder Pizza o besh bhalo.
Old October 28, 2011, 02:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
Are you talking about Golden food or Dominous or Helvetia ? Can't get which one you are talking about. Jai hok, egular pashei abar achhe Swiss, Golpia Burger. I miss Mr. Burger jeta onek onek agey close hoye giyechilo. Baily road er 1st generation shop chhio eta.

The restaurant that used to sell paratha and curry was named Bamboo Castle. Not it's not there anymore. They are closed. You can try Fokruddin's Curry as alternate. The GORUR MOGOJ CURRY was my favorite one. Ekhane akhon hoyechhe Capital confectionery. Besh koyek years dhore ekhane arekta khabar dokan hoyechhe naam Baily hut. Ekhane Chicken Tikka ta besh bhaloi. They sell different kebabs too. ROSH er akta branch to baily road a onek din dhore achhe. Rojar Iftari te ROSH er Chikon jilapi onek onek famous. Onek lomba line hoy eta kenar jonno, line chhara bikri korena.

Baily road a akhon new add hoyeche Boomers, KFC, Pizza Hut, BFC and few more. Cafe 33 naam er arekta khuleche, eta music cafe, you can both eat and enjoy music together. Arekta khulechhe guide house er ei dik a, sharir dokan gulor shathe - AL-BAIK. Al-Baik probably multinational chain, kar kachhe jano shunechilam middle east a eta khub famous, Bangladeshi ra ekhane onek jawa asha kore. Ei muhurte r kichhu mone porchhena.

I'd like to add another name, SHWARMA HOUSE, eta hochche hatir pool kacha bazar er okhane, actually katabon bola chole. Okhane Beef/Chicken Shwarma Dhakar moddhe best. Oder Pizza o besh bhalo.
The shop names I was looking for was Swiss ,euro hut and bamboo castle. Thanks.

Shame bamboo castle has closed as I used to like the parathas and meat. Where is fokruddin located?do they do the beef curry?

I used to go to the banani boomers. might try the dhanmondi one, but does anyone know if the quality of food is good at this branch. Also is it a nice place to eat.

Sharma house did make the best shawrma in the country. Just didn't like the location.

Old October 28, 2011, 02:30 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
The shop names I was looking for was Swiss ,euro hut and bamboo castle. Thanks.

Shame bamboo castle has closed as I used to like the parathas and meat. Where is fokruddin located?do they do the beef curry?

I used to go to the banani boomers. might try the dhanmondi one, but does anyone know if the quality of food is good at this branch. Also is it a nice place to eat.

Sharma house did make the best shawrma in the country. Just didn't like the location.

Fokruddin has opened branch at Mogbazar chowrasta, Farmgate. They also have branch at Gulshan 1 and Bashundhara Residential area. Yes they sell beef curry but not sure if they sell at all branches or not. You will get curry at Gulshan branch, that's what I know.

Banani boomers is the best branch of all. Their foods are not bad, its tasty indeed. That Shwarma house has branch at banani and dhanmondi too, but the one at hatirpool is the best IMO.
Old October 28, 2011, 07:19 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib,Sangakkara,Lee

speaking of food. MUST try Bar-b-q tonite at Dhanmondi 27. My parents live there. Whenever I go to BD, I slways goand have the chicken curry/rumali roti.......YUM!!