facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old December 12, 2011, 03:47 PM
Ex Bangladesh National Bowling Coach
Dhaka Gladiators Head Coach

Default Moving The Feet

Whilst it may not be appropriate to put this in this section, given all the questions about what should the batsmen do, prompted me to post this.

I wanted to share with you what is possible with good technical coaching. There has been so much debate that the players are not learning and that no coaches can make a difference.

Here is Catherine Dalton, who came out to Dhaka whilst I was there and trained at Mirpur. You may recall she had some pics in the newspaper around the time of the World Cup.

Catherine is an England Academy all rounder, and this is exactly how to play a proper off drive. She has learned this and anyone can do the same:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bP_qZ9Eop68

I wanted to say that if batsmen move their feet and have the correct balance, then they will hit the ball cleanly like this.

Old December 12, 2011, 03:51 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Coach, what speed is the machine set to in that video? It looks like my medium pacers which I'd estimate to be 40-50 mph (I'd guesstimate my top speed is around 65-70 mph).

#OneTeam1Dream
Old December 12, 2011, 03:52 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Indians

coach do you think that our batters are shy or something when they go on the field?
Old December 12, 2011, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by al Furqaan
Coach, what speed is the machine set to in that video? It looks like my medium pacers which I'd estimate to be 40-50 mph (I'd guesstimate my top speed is around 65-70 mph).
Its set to 70 mph for grooving shots
Old December 12, 2011, 04:04 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Pont
Its set to 70 mph for grooving shots
thats definitely faster than my military mediums...probably closer to my "express" setting.

haha. unless of course i'm a lot faster than i think.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old December 12, 2011, 04:13 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Indians

maybe give those boys some dancing lessons?
Old December 12, 2011, 04:42 PM
Banned

our ex-players are talking about feet movement (lack of it) as well in tv & newspaper interviews. but they didn't move their feet well either when they used to bat. which tells me our current players are aware of this as well but they can't do it due to the lack of practice. or they think they can smoke the ball without needing to move the feet.

Posted via BC Mobile Edition
Old December 12, 2011, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstlane
our ex-players are talking about feet movement (lack of it) as well in tv & newspaper interviews. but they didn't move their feet well either when they used to bat. which tells me our current players are aware of this as well but they can't do it due to the lack of practice. or they think they can smoke the ball without needing to move the feet.

Posted via BC Mobile Edition
As a former pro bowler myself, I can tell you there is nothing easier than a batter who does not move his feet. You just need to bowl a good length and swing it or move it slightly. Sometimes just even a change of angle can be enough to find an edge or the top of off stump.

With the bat away from the pad it also open up a gap to bowl between, and hit the stumps. The usual outcome from this is caught at slip, gulley or in the covers - or bowled off stump.

It's not rocket science.... just good coaching and finding a way to get through to the players (man management). There is really no excuse for players above school level standard not to know this.
Old December 12, 2011, 05:56 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Umpires!

^Agree with Ian. There is no point blaming the players here. Entire top order is failing.
When the entire team forgets how to bat, its the "coach" who needs batting coaching first.
Old December 12, 2011, 06:07 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Ryan Ten Doescate

One thing I have noticed, Shakib has very little foot movement, yet he seems to hold a great deal of control over his shots.
Old December 12, 2011, 06:15 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Tam,Sak,Nasa,Mash

even Chanderpaul said ,don't mind about the feet movement
Old December 12, 2011, 06:21 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Umpires!

Feet movement is the very basic of batting. Any batting coach should be able to fix this with ease.
Old December 12, 2011, 06:53 PM
Banned

Years ago, I saw a TV show - Darren Gough's cricket academy. This was a very good show where all the best batsmen and ballers shared their techniques and showed how to do what. Murali was there showing how to do a doosra. It was an excellent show!

Why are shows like that not made anymore ?
Old December 12, 2011, 09:27 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Shakib, Tamim, Mushfiqur

She has good balance; but lot of gap between bat and pad; easy wicket for an inswinger.
Old December 12, 2011, 11:31 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: many ..

if you don't know your basics properly nothing will happen for you its like the foundation the so called academy coaches in our BKSP are x player who did not have good footwork themselves i am pretty sure they don't know the basics of cricket themselves what will they teach the younger generations.
i can do better than Ashraful if i had proper coaching
Old December 13, 2011, 12:00 AM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

How can one improve their balance while playing these drives and not tip over or having to readjust after playing the drive?
Old December 13, 2011, 12:17 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib,Sangakkara,Lee

nanabhai abar eishob ki bola shuru korlo...
Old December 13, 2011, 02:21 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Love them all....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banglaguy
One thing I have noticed, Shakib has very little foot movement, yet he seems to hold a great deal of control over his shots.
Always there will be some players who can manage to play well besides having lack of feet movements as they have excellent hand eye co-ordination. But this thing will not work with most of the players.
Old December 13, 2011, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarWolf
Always there will be some players who can manage to play well besides having lack of feet movements as they have excellent hand eye co-ordination. But this thing will not work with most of the players.
This is very true. The best batsmen I saw was Graeme Pollock (Shaun's uncle) who rarely moved his feet. He just hit through the ball by leaning into his shots.

Why foot movement is important is because it help takes your head (eyes) in line with the ball. Your head, hands and feet should all line up as much as possible, when playing straight.

When the ball is wider, it is a more dangerous shot as you are 'throwing' your hands away from your body, so all you can ensure is your weight moves at the ball and your head get as far across as you can.

What you have to remember guys is that small keys can open big locks. It isn't always a big change that makes the most difference. It can be something tiny. IMO foot movement is the BIGGEST problem for batsmen when the ball is moving (spin, seam or swing) and would explain why many of the Bangladesh batsmen seem to have issues technically.

The second problem is of course, if you don't have confidence in your technique, you then play incorrect shots or inappropriate ones. This then gets blamed on 'mindset' or not have enough application. Whilst that might be true, the truth is, if you have grooved all your shots (like Catherine in the clip I posted) then you AUTOMATICALLY play the right shot for the ball bowled.

It seems that this basic requirement is missing in the Tigers' batting.
Old December 13, 2011, 06:02 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

One of the reasons our alleged batsmen demonstrate poor footwork is the propensity to play premeditated shots. Hence all the premeditated sweeps and blocks (including blocking half-volleys and full tosses out there) with predictable results at this level of international cricket. Not everyone's a Sehwag, Gayle (neither premeditate BTW) or Shakib for that matter, and they tend to fail a helluva lot more than they're even likely to "succeed", whatever that means in our pitiful context. Playing a ball according to its merit means nothing when you swing by the numbers.

Comments from our "seniors" meaning former players and even more laughably, "organizers" now playing with our national passion and screwing it in the process, are absurd. They sucked as players and won't be able to hold a bat or grip a ball next to Shakib and now Nasir's generation of players. They're the problem, not the solution.

The solution is obviously a less allegorical version of the ATMR Treatment once they're guilty of premeditation. The national team isn't the place to learn anything. Selectors shouldn't select anyone who has to, and the board must ensure that they do all the way from organized school, through the NCL to Academy cricket. Sadly, both groups of *ankers must understand the game first.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)

Last edited by Sohel; December 14, 2011 at 10:20 AM..
Old December 13, 2011, 09:31 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: tamim,shafiul,mushy

^^^ bingo!!
Old December 13, 2011, 09:54 AM
Cricket Sage

Now they are out with LBW. I am afraid by moving the feet, they will be bowled out.

May be they should try rather moving the wicket instead.
Old December 13, 2011, 10:00 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shak,TI,Mash,Mushy,Dravid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohel NR
One of the reasons our alleged batsmen demonstrate poor footwork is the propensity to play premeditated shots. Hence all the premeditated sweeps and blocks (including blocking half-volleys and full tosses out there) with predictable results at this level of international cricket. Not everyone's a Sehwag, Gayle (neither premeditate BTW) or Shakib for that matter, and they tend to fail a helluva lot more than they're even likely to "succeed", whatever that means in our pitiful context. Playing a ball according to its merit means nothing when you swing by the numbers.

Comments from our "seniors" meaning former players and even more laughably, "organizers" now playing with our national passion and screwing it in the process, are absurd. They sucked as players and won't be able to hold a bat or grip a ball next to Shakib and now Nasir's generation of players. They're the problem, not the solution.

The solution is obviously a less allegorical version of the ATMR Treatment once they're guilty of premeditation. The national team isn't the place to learn anything. Selectors shouldn't select anyone who has to, and the board must sure that they do all the way from organized school, through the NCL to Academy cricket. Sadly, both groups of *ankers must understand the game first.
Old December 13, 2011, 01:11 PM
Cricket Sage

Amader chelera ato bhitu na. Bhoyee pa kapbe keno?
Old December 13, 2011, 02:18 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohel NR
The national team isn't the place to learn anything. Selectors shouldn't select anyone who has to, and the board must sure that they do all the way from organized school, through the NCL to Academy cricket. Sadly, both groups of *ankers must understand the game first.
I am afraid we don't have any such players. I hope and pray that the new generation will be that way and fulfill its promises, but...

The problem is that coach after coach has said that they keep having to teach basics to our cricketers, and its clearly true from watching them bat. Not only do that have poor batting IQs, but they also play the wrong strokes at the wrong time (probably a result of premeditation as you stated). The only thing to remedy that is aquiring or being born with the proper instinct of stroke play. Knowing instinctively what stroke to play when in addition to sound technique which will increase the success/failure ratio.

Our is a fledgling cricketing infrastructure. In hindsight it was ridiculous to expect any form of success no matter how long (10 years) or many matches (70 odd) of Test cricket we've played. We can't forget that as recently as 1997 cricket was merely an afterthought in this country obsessed about Brazilian and Argentine soccer. By 1997 all of our neighbors had not only established themselves in the elite cricketing fraternity but had ALL won world cups of their own. How can we expect to compete with them so soon?

No doubt the Afghans and the Irish may have developed faster than us given the identical opportunities. But each has issues we don't have. Afghans are naturally gifted athletes who if and when they attain the skills will dance circles around Pakistan, India, and Sri Lanka. So what chance do a bunch of rice and fish eating folks like us have?

The Irish have first world resources if not in dollar amount then surely in vision, beurocracy, and general mindset. They also wouldn't solely appoint political yes men to run their cricketing operations.

The most relevant point is that we need solid coaching and management at the grassroots level - school cricket, age groups, NCL, Academy, and A team - so that when the players reach the national team they already have the technical aspect down and simply need to work out those last remaining kinks in the armor or "find their feet" at international level.

#OneTeam1Dream