facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old March 3, 2012, 02:31 AM
Ex Bangladesh National Bowling Coach
Dhaka Gladiators Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsayeed
Coach Ian: Can you tell us what ail's Ashraful the most? He has a lot of talent, but appears to be not at ease. What can you do to help him so that he can be all that he can be. This is a sincere request. Thank you.
Let me repeat something I said over a year ago and add to it: Ashraful is the most talented Bangladeshi batsman ever produced.

When he bats properly, truly properly, he bats to a world class standard that only Shakib can get close to. This is my genuine opinion. During the BPL he played some incredible shots, placed to perfection, effortlessly for example.

I cannot comment on how other coaches have dealt with Ash or how they work with him, but from my viewpoint we hit it off well. I feel we got almost the best out of him with Dhaka Gladiators.

Deep down I think Ash need challenges to excel and finds things far too easy sometimes. In the BPL he was playing alongside other world class players who showed their skill levels. I feel Ash responded to this. He WANTED to play.

Any cricketer needs to feel wanted, loved, valued and important. But they also need to feel challenged. The secret is in working with a player who has this level of ability and making him an important asset. Ultimately, it is all about the player himself and what motivates him.

With Ashraful, the talent is clearly there.
Old March 3, 2012, 11:29 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shak,TI,Mash,Mushy,Dravid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Pont
Let me repeat something I said over a year ago and add to it: Ashraful is the most talented Bangladeshi batsman ever produced.

When he bats properly, truly properly, he bats to a world class standard that only Shakib can get close to. This is my genuine opinion. During the BPL he played some incredible shots, placed to perfection, effortlessly for example.

I cannot comment on how other coaches have dealt with Ash or how they work with him, but from my viewpoint we hit it off well. I feel we got almost the best out of him with Dhaka Gladiators.

Deep down I think Ash need challenges to excel and finds things far too easy sometimes. In the BPL he was playing alongside other world class players who showed their skill levels. I feel Ash responded to this. He WANTED to play.

Any cricketer needs to feel wanted, loved, valued and important. But they also need to feel challenged. The secret is in working with a player who has this level of ability and making him an important asset. Ultimately, it is all about the player himself and what motivates him.

Exactly !!! Hope someone (coach/selectors) will show the same amount of love and patience with Tamim too !! Tamim is very valuable for BD as well..

Once Ash and Tamim gets their form back and with Shakib, Mushfiq, Nasir, Mash, Rubel, Sunny in the squad - we would be a very good team to challenge any top team in the world !!!
Old March 3, 2012, 12:04 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:

Coach Ian, with this reply and with your genuine insight and rapport with Ashraful you have just won me over. Thank you, and I hope you will follow his career and step in when you see him in need the most.

We spend so much energy in belittling people that we forget that be it heard or not heard by the recipient, it has an effect. it is that impalpable feeling. Carl Jung called it the "collective unconscious". Our thoughts matter. I hope Ashraful will feel wanted.
Old March 5, 2012, 12:22 AM
ODI Cricketer

best team in the universe....proud to be a Dhaka Gladiators fan...Respect yo!
Old March 5, 2012, 12:25 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsayeed

We spend so much energy in belittling people that we forget that be it heard or not heard by the recipient, it has an effect. it is that impalpable feeling. Carl Jung called it the "collective unconscious". Our thoughts matter. I hope Ashraful will feel wanted.
This should be oft repeated by us fans and be etched in stone.
Old March 6, 2012, 04:31 PM
Cricket Legend

NO Champions League?!?
Old April 7, 2012, 11:43 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mash, Shak, Enam, Riyad

"Having seen all the IPL teams play now I can state that Dhaka Gladiators would be one of the favourites to win IPL if they could play in it"

Ian Pont
Old April 8, 2012, 05:23 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Luka Modric

They should do a IPL vs BPL. They should get the winning team of the IPL and the winning team of the BPL and they should versue each other in a one off match.

But BCCI will probably never let that happen. Just because we are 'minnows'
Old April 8, 2012, 10:48 AM
Cricket Legend

I really like that idea, and plenty of excitement will be there. Also, plenty of money to be made. Would be nice to approach IPL champ team from DG team management. Leave Kamal out of it and the probability of success will be higher. Just pay rent to BCB for Stadium use.
Old April 9, 2012, 12:11 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mash, Shak, Enam, Riyad

I wanna see Kolkata Vs Khulna... Shakib Vs the whole KKR
Old May 7, 2012, 02:30 PM

Go Gladiators!!!!!

Just felt like saying that
Old May 8, 2012, 02:39 PM
Street Cricketer

U can Change the Senario Of banladesh Cricket.. If BCB can give what u want...
InshaALLAH i hope So.. Praying for the Development of the Cricket
Old May 8, 2012, 03:15 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Nirala

Quote:
Go Gladiators!!!!!

Just felt like saying that
so coach you are coming back for the next season of bpl?
Old July 20, 2012, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajfar
so coach you are coming back for the next season of bpl?
Do people want me to come back and defend the BPL Title next year?
Old July 23, 2012, 05:12 AM

Pont Set To Quit Dhaka Gladiators

Dhaka Gladiators Head Coach, Ian Pont, whose team won the inaugural BPL competition, is set to quit the franchise over ongoing problems with payments since the event finished in February this year.

Pont, who has a two-year contract with the team, has been frustrated in his dealings with The Shihab Trading Company, part of the Europa Group, who owns the franchise. Many players have faced months of delays getting their full payments from the owners and Pont feels he cannot continue if trust has been lost.

"I am personally missing 50% of my contracted amount and others are still awaiting re-imbursement of flights, expenses and original fees", said Pont. "Pieces of paper kept being produced showing bank transfers by the franchise, but they never took place. Players and staff have been given a whole host of excuses. Deadlines and promises remain broken. The franchise, run by the Chowdhury family, have just stopped communicating. It's not only very sad but totally unprofessional to run a business this way in my view. Worse still, they are bringing Bangladesh cricket itself into some disrepute. The BCB, through no fault of their own, are being forced to pick up the pieces. I trust the BCB when they say they are covering all outstanding debts as the franchise has defaulted and I look forward to this being cleared now for the sake of next year's competition."

Pont says that during the competition itself, lack of payments became so serious that the players had a meeting about not playing the semi-final. "The overseas players came to me and we had an emergency meeting where it felt that boycotting the semi-final was a genuine option. So much money was missing that the guys didn't know what else they could try. But the players did not want to let the BPL down or the fans, which was the right thing to do. I am amazed we remained focused enough to win the whole competition and it's a testament to the players - overseas and local - when the only talk was about payments. It was hard to concentrate on the cricket with such an enormous distraction. After all, this is a not simply a game for the players and staff, but it is their living."

Pont maintains he has a great relationship with the BCB and is keen to come back and defend his title at BPL2.

"As the champion head coach I want to come back and have another crack at winning. Any coach wants to show his skills in managing a team and I love Bangladesh. I think the BPL is a great cricket competition and it definitely helped with lifting the nation's spirits and the local players skills. It's a huge part of why Bangladesh did so well in the Asia Cup and I am proud to have played my part with the success of players like Elias Sunny, Mash and Ashraful. I also get on well with the BCB. So I anticipate returning to hopefully win the BPL again. It just won't be with the Shihab Trading Company's franchise. The fact is you cannot have players worrying if they are going to get their money. It just sends the wrong message."

Pont's team beat the Barisal Burners in the final to win the BPL by 8 wickets.
Old July 23, 2012, 05:34 AM
Cricket Legend

Noooo Ian!

We will miss you alot. Dhaka Gladiators will not be the same without you.
Old July 23, 2012, 05:40 AM
Cricket Legend

Payments not being paid is surely going to hurt BPL alot. Im disgusted that the franchises/BCB still havent paid off all the payments. I understand your situation Ian.
Old July 23, 2012, 05:43 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Shakib, Mashrafe

Dang.

Now, this is the last thing we could think of. Myself feeling ashamed to hear such disputes and mismanagement by BPL franchises and BPL governing bodies.

Sorry to say, If i were Ian, i would have made the same decision. No compromise on commitments.
Old July 23, 2012, 06:08 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Any smart *** spot fixers

I wont be fan for Shihab Trading Company's Dhaka Gladiator anymore. BCB's big success BPL sux, it brought worst Bangladesh image ever. I'm ashamed for the acts & poor professional practices by these franchisees. I'm very sorry for your harrasment & dissapontment Ian. I wish from here other victims will also stand aside you.
Old July 23, 2012, 07:20 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Mash, De Villiers.

That's really sad for us fans too. And it's definitely hurting the image of Bangladesh cricket.
Old July 23, 2012, 07:33 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: every quality cricketer

Damn the BPL franchises and BPL governing body. They deservd to get kicked hard at their butts
Old July 23, 2012, 08:23 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Shakib, Tamim, Mash

What a shame. If they can irritate Ian who is the biggest admirer of Bangladesh cricket like this, don't really want to think about how much annoyance BPL has caused to others. I am ashamed.

Sorry Ian..
Old July 23, 2012, 08:32 AM

Favorite Player: Shakib, Brian Lara

BCB should take legal action and stop these thieves from doing business
Old July 23, 2012, 11:29 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim & Sakib

Thank you Ian for coming out with this. I always wondered which franchises were creating problems regarding players and staff payments. Do you know if any of the other franchises also owe players money ? Is there any franchises who have paid their players and staff in full?
Old July 23, 2012, 01:38 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: every quality cricketer

Nah after all this, BPL 2 can only be a dream. Lets start BPL only after 2014 T20 WC, im sick and tired of all this