facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old February 18, 2012, 08:18 PM
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Shakib, M. Waugh, Bevan

I'd like to point out some things before people get too riled up about a seemingly draconian measure -

1. The order to stop "language pollution" is only an interim measure pending an actual hearing
2. The alleged perpetrators of this 'offence' (TV and Radio Broadcasters) have been given the right to respond to this order.
3. Before the hearing, a commission headed by the very respected Chairman of the Bangla Academy, Professor Emeritus Anisuzzaman, will recommend appropriate measures to prevent the distortion of Bangla. It is possible that their findings will be less harsh than that of the court.

I personally think that it's painfully hilarious to see how this order comes when the BPL is taking place, where the presenters are routinely brutalizing Bangla. Just goes to show the gap that exists between segments in our society. All in the month of February to boot!
Old February 18, 2012, 08:47 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Shakib

Now I hope they ban hindi channels too.
Old February 18, 2012, 09:21 PM
First Class Cricketer

Alhamdulillah!! Finally something is being done about this sick status symbol. My concern is though where do we draw the line? I think we should not take issues with English words that naturally entered Bangla language. However, I do take serious issues when some one says "ami remember korte parchi na"................koishha chor lagaibar mon chay tokon........
Old February 18, 2012, 09:29 PM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MohammedC
Can they ban Hindi/Urdu ?
asha kora jay....keu to badha dite parbe na.....

but how can you stop people writing facebook status in hindi/urdu for no reason. It's different if someone is quoting a poem or a song. But I saw people writing status in hindi/urdu just for the heck of it.

I my by no means against any particular language. I myself am an admirer of Mirza Ghalib's gazals. Does not mean I should start speaking in hindi/urdu.
Old February 18, 2012, 09:37 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Hashim Amla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antora
Now I hope they ban hindi channels too.
:superLike:
Old February 18, 2012, 09:45 PM
BC Editorial Team

^ I have a feeling that if this does become law permanently (as in after the hearing and commission findings) then any legal action will be directed against tv companies and radio channels rather than private individuals. It's too difficult (and oppressive) to target ordinary folk.
Old February 18, 2012, 10:03 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Rafiq and Tendulkar

Breaking News: Bangladesh Bans 'Banglish'

Nooo problem...come to BC.
Old February 18, 2012, 11:22 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Then why not ban arabic as well _afterall_ majority of the terrorists were from Saudi Arabia.
Old February 19, 2012, 01:45 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Brian Lara

People should have the freedom to speak whatever language they want. This is ridiculous.
Old February 19, 2012, 01:52 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bancan
People should have the freedom to speak whatever language they want. This is ridiculous.
Not in a society that is increasingly intolerant and insecure. Eventually we will legislate every daily action. The courts will dictated when and where you can urinate and if you don't do it when dictated, you will be hauled up before it on charges of contempt of court.
Old February 19, 2012, 04:39 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Tam,Sak,Nasa,Mash

it's not the individuals or normal public but for the TV channels & Radio, right? then it's not doing any harm to the freedom of speech.
Viewers/listeners specially the youngsters learn a lot from TV/radio, so it's a brilliant move.
but I hope this will also raise awareness among normal people & they would avoid or discourage the use of BAnglish.
Old February 19, 2012, 06:52 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shak,TI,Mash,Mushy,Dravid

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon
it's not the individuals or normal public but for the TV channels & Radio, right? then it's not doing any harm to the freedom of speech.
Viewers/listeners specially the youngsters learn a lot from TV/radio, so it's a brilliant move.
but I hope this will also raise awareness among normal people & they would avoid or discourage the use of BAnglish.
exactly !!! that was a rule in 80s and 90s too... with soo many private channel coming up it was just out of control !!! good initiative !!!
Old February 19, 2012, 08:01 AM
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunaid
Not in a society that is increasingly intolerant and insecure. Eventually we will legislate every daily action. The courts will dictated when and where you can urinate and if you don't do it when dictated, you will be hauled up before it on charges of contempt of court.
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon
Firstly, the article does not say anywhere that the court is disapproving of 'cholti bhasha', 'ancholik bhasha' or even Bangla slang. In fact, you'll see that your namesake was specifically mentioned by the court, as is quoted in the BDNews article above. There is no pretense that Bangla has not been influenced by foreign languages for centuries or that foreign words like 'chavi', 'almari' (of portuguese origin) etc need to be excised from the Bangla lexicon. Those developments were organic but this form of linguistic evolution is merely invasive.

I think the court is trying to make the point that many of the 'additions' made to Bangla through Banglish are not because Bangla is outdated or deficient but because people cannot be bothered to use the appropriate word/phrase. In many cases, it's not because they don't know what the appropriate word is in Bangla but rather because they'd like to look 'kewl' and show that they are 'modern'. I admit that some updating is required, particularly in modern Bangla vocabulary and prose, and I am not sure if words like internet, e-mail etc should be replaced with their Bangla equivalent (as they are done in Mandarin) but when people create phrases like: "Ami eita remember kortei parchi na" you can't help but gawp at it.

Secondly, the immediate repercussions of such an order are limited. It is of an interim nature, which means there is a temporal limit in which a hearing has to take place or the order is scrapped, and any measures taken by the court so far are against radio programs and tv channels, not private individuals. I don't know if you've been to Bangladesh recently Lalon but the way Radio Foorti, DJuice, etc. use Bangla and English is painful. Instead of reflecting how the 'modern youth' speak, they are negatively influencing an impressionable generation that is easily susceptible to moving away from their mother tongue.

I don't think this is some Orwellian agenda to introduce a form of newspeak but rather an opportunity for a critical appraisal of how Bangla and English is being used in the media. And that is why I say that the Commission has been put in good hands. Professor Anisuzzaman is one of the most respected Bangla scholars in the world and some of the other proposed names also have hefty reputations in their fields. I would be very curious to read their report once they've done their investigations.
Old February 19, 2012, 09:46 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Shak-Ash-Tam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navo
I'd like to point out some things before people get too riled up about a seemingly draconian measure -

1. The order to stop "language pollution" is only an interim measure pending an actual hearing
2. The alleged perpetrators of this 'offence' (TV and Radio Broadcasters) have been given the right to respond to this order.
3. Before the hearing, a commission headed by the very respected Chairman of the Bangla Academy, Professor Emeritus Anisuzzaman, will recommend appropriate measures to prevent the distortion of Bangla. It is possible that their findings will be less harsh than that of the court.

I personally think that it's painfully hilarious to see how this order comes when the BPL is taking place, where the presenters are routinely brutalizing Bangla. Just goes to show the gap that exists between segments in our society. All in the month of February to boot!
These kinds of hearings have no bearing in BD decision making. courts are basically dictated by the govt, what to do. If someone in the govt has decided to do it, it will be done.

Je jai boluk, everything os ok, but "Taal Gach ta Amar"... Just like the Caretaker govt issue. If this comes as a full fledged law, it will be another "Kali odhyae" for our freedom of speech, development of the language and culture. I mean, should the government tell me, how I will speak?? Have some limit on dictatorial attitude.
I'm with Shahbag for fair punishment of all war criminals. Im with Shahbag to stand for fair trials of all Corruption, all murders and social injustices occurred over last 40 years. I'm for a secular, corruption free & Just society in Bangladesh. Spirit of '71
Old February 19, 2012, 12:24 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MohammedC
Can they ban Hindi/Urdu ?
But Bangladeshis dont mix Hindi, Urdu very much on the air.
As for Arabic, not at all.

But some languages have been assimilated in words, only to enrich the language.
It started with the Aryan migration to the region. However, I do think the mixing of English with every other word of Bangla is a bit too much. I think the deejays on the radio, and especially that Ch 9 announcer Shajeda was overboard. It was unnatural to hear - and seemed pandering to me.
Old February 19, 2012, 12:26 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by oronnya
exactly !!! that was a rule in 80s and 90s too... with soo many private channel coming up it was just out of control !!! good initiative !!!
Hear Hear Oronnya Apu, .
You legislate based on need, just like the cyber security and crimes. Now their is a need. What is the equivalent of FCC in Bangladesh? Is there one?

Too many channels gone wild.

Well pointed out apu.
Old February 19, 2012, 12:34 PM
Cricket Legend

Its like saying, lets ban people with british accent/Indian accent from doing any shows on radio TV etc...

FM radio stations in bangladesh are geared towards younger audiences and the RJ's are only trying to satisfy their listeners. I am sure such language would never be used on any journal/publication to cause such concerns.

On the other hand court should be primarily concerned with stats that says 70% criminals manage bail. How did people like Kala Jahangir manage to be out in the streets today when he was arrested once. There is a reason why silently more than 50% of the population support the extra judicial killing... Our justice system is totally flawed.
Old February 19, 2012, 01:21 PM
Cricket Legend

actually, people with american accents were not allowed to read news on btv. and when would you ever hear a brit or aussie anchoring the news on US networks?
Old February 19, 2012, 01:38 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsayeed
actually, people with american accents were not allowed to read news on btv. and when would you ever hear a brit or aussie anchoring the news on US networks?
I stand corrected...
but rest of my arguement is still valid...
Old February 19, 2012, 02:50 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereWeGo
I stand corrected...
but rest of my arguement is still valid...
Narey Bhai, my intention was not to correct you. Please don't get me wrong.
Old February 19, 2012, 03:34 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shak,TI,Mash,Mushy,Dravid

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsayeed
Hear Hear Oronnya Apu, .
You legislate based on need, just like the cyber security and crimes. Now their is a need. What is the equivalent of FCC in Bangladesh? Is there one?

Too many channels gone wild.

Well pointed out apu.
Thank you !!

Onekei bolchhen ei niti amader baakshadhinotai aghat hanbe... kibhabe??? amader baakshadhinota to amader BANGLAi kotha bolar odhikar dai... 52 hoyechhilo ei bhashar jonno r ei podokhhep er uddeshho o hochhe ei bhashake rokhha kora.. eikhane bhulta kothai... emon to boleni je manush engrejite kotha bollei jail e bhorbe... eta Media er jonno kichhu niyom kanun bedhe dichhe jeta to oder emnitei mene chola uchit chhilo...hoi Bangla bolo noile English bolo...ei ordhek bangalitter ortho ki???

Amader engreji er proti durbolota ajo gelo na !!! ekjon bhalo engreji bolte na parle amader shomaje opodostho hote hoi othocho ami amader notun projonmo ke protiniyotoi bhul Bangla bolte shuni.. Oder baba maa er o oder shudhre dewar kono ichhe nei kenona tara gorbito bodh kore je tader chhelemeyera engreji bolte pare.. ei manoshikota tai to amader jonno lojjar... r bortomane eshob hajar hajar TV channel e jemon ichhe temon bhabe presenter ra present korchhe... Bangla gaaner ekta onushthane ordhek engreji bolar prashongikota kotokhani??? notun projonmo to ei media darai probhabito ora ei Banglish bhashata kei cool mone kore... Dhakai boro howa ekta chhoto bachhar shathe kotha bolle dekhben ora oneekk shobder jonno engrejir asroi nai karon tara er bangla protishobdo janei na...ete kore ki koek projonmo pore amader banglar onek shobdo hariye jabe na??? India te oder official bhasha hochhe engreji r oder onek oncholer lok hindi bolte pare na tai oder modhhe engreji bolar probonota beshi... kintu amader official language to Bangla ta sheta bikrito hote dekhle to oboshhoi podokhhep nite hobe..

Ekti shadhin jaatir o constitution dorkar hoi, shomajer jonno kichhu nitimala proyojon hoi.. noile to manush baakshadhinota r bektishadhinotar naame ja khushi kore berabe!!!! TV/Radio ke emnitei oneekk neetimala mene cholte hoi tar shathe ei ekti jog hole emon kono khoti hobe na borong Bangla onushthangulor maan unnoto hobe...
Old February 20, 2012, 12:54 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Shak-Ash-Tam

Quote:
Oronnya, too many channels?? How many do you have?? Your neighbors have over a thousand (1000+) ... They didn't need a legislation?? And if some channel is talking rubbish, people will not watch it and it will die a natural death ?? So when there is a natural system/system of the market what's the problem?? Why we need a law?. Will the democratic government decide what I want to hear and see??

Huh I will miss those girls mixing Bangla-Eng and pronouncing Bnglala in a way I could never imagine... They look so cute when they do it... Ufff can't I have even that Much freedom in this country ..

Life is gonna be so boring now...
I'm with Shahbag for fair punishment of all war criminals. Im with Shahbag to stand for fair trials of all Corruption, all murders and social injustices occurred over last 40 years. I'm for a secular, corruption free & Just society in Bangladesh. Spirit of '71
Old February 20, 2012, 09:26 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

I am not on the right nor I am on the left.

Language florishes (becomes rich in content and expression) when not invaded by other cultures and languages. Thus Beduins language was at their peak 1600 years ago.
Old February 20, 2012, 09:36 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
I am not on the right nor I am on the left.

Language florishes (becomes rich in content and expression) when not invaded by other cultures and languages. Thus Beduins language was at their peak 1600 years ago.
I would say the opposite. Will chose a less inflammatory word than "invasion" - assimilation. Look at English today? Much richer because it has readily adopted, adapted and co-opted from other languages.

That being said - I will not use assimilation to describe what is happening somewhat in Bangladesh. I would call it bastardization. I do see the problem.
Old February 20, 2012, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Thank you !!

Onekei bolchhen ei niti amader baakshadhinotai aghat hanbe... kibhabe??? amader baakshadhinota to amader BANGLAi kotha bolar odhikar dai... 52 hoyechhilo ei bhashar jonno r ei podokhhep er uddeshho o hochhe ei bhashake rokhha kora.. eikhane bhulta kothai... emon to boleni je manush engrejite kotha bollei jail e bhorbe... eta Media er jonno kichhu niyom kanun bedhe dichhe jeta to oder emnitei mene chola uchit chhilo...hoi Bangla bolo noile English bolo...ei ordhek bangalitter ortho ki???

Amader engreji er proti durbolota ajo gelo na !!! ekjon bhalo engreji bolte na parle amader shomaje opodostho hote hoi othocho ami amader notun projonmo ke protiniyotoi bhul Bangla bolte shuni.. Oder baba maa er o oder shudhre dewar kono ichhe nei kenona tara gorbito bodh kore je tader chhelemeyera engreji bolte pare.. ei manoshikota tai to amader jonno lojjar... r bortomane eshob hajar hajar TV channel e jemon ichhe temon bhabe presenter ra present korchhe... Bangla gaaner ekta onushthane ordhek engreji bolar prashongikota kotokhani??? notun projonmo to ei media darai probhabito ora ei Banglish bhashata kei cool mone kore... Dhakai boro howa ekta chhoto bachhar shathe kotha bolle dekhben ora oneekk shobder jonno engrejir asroi nai karon tara er bangla protishobdo janei na...ete kore ki koek projonmo pore amader banglar onek shobdo hariye jabe na??? India te oder official bhasha hochhe engreji r oder onek oncholer lok hindi bolte pare na tai oder modhhe engreji bolar probonota beshi... kintu amader official language to Bangla ta sheta bikrito hote dekhle to oboshhoi podokhhep nite hobe..

Ekti shadhin jaatir o constitution dorkar hoi, shomajer jonno kichhu nitimala proyojon hoi.. noile to manush baakshadhinota r bektishadhinotar naame ja khushi kore berabe!!!! TV/Radio ke emnitei oneekk neetimala mene cholte hoi tar shathe ei ekti jog hole emon kono khoti hobe na borong Bangla onushthangulor maan unnoto hobe...
To be honest, I would urge a ban on these kind of Bangla writing in English alphabet. its a torture for the readers really.