facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old March 25, 2012, 01:28 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bancan
I am a candiate for a TA job at my university for next academic year. So fingers crossed that works out. It would be great experience and the pay is half decent as well.
TA jobs are typically quite difficult to get if you've got a grad program. Not sure about your uni, so definitely give that a shot. One thing I've benefited HUGELY from is working with professors for their research. In my 4 years undergrad, I've worked with professors as their research assistant for at least 2.5 years. Volunteer your time for them if necessary.
Old March 25, 2012, 01:36 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mo Chow = Chow Mo

Bamcan bro, after finishing your studay at the university, you should seriously consider joining the Royal Canadian Montys, the Mountain Police of Canada....

You can apply here I think...
http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/unif/index-eng.htm
Old March 25, 2012, 01:38 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antora
since a lot of you ae talking about PHDs and I know that quiet a few people here do have PHDs, so I was wondering.....I'm actually not sure If I've been misinformed or not, but I've been speaking to a lot of people here and there and they've told me it's better to complete a bachelors and( maybe) a masters then get straight into a job? This is because going further and doing a PHD limits your options as you are "over qualified" for an entry level job and you don't have the experience to apply for higher positions since you have no work experience ( assuming you went straight to a PHD without doing a job).....! I've been told its better to work a few years then do a PHD part time if it's required or you want to? Is that true? :S
That largely depends on what you're focusing on. In my field (IT), you can take quite a few approaches, depending on what you want to do. I did undergrad, 4 months intern, then straight to grad. When I completed my grad, nobody would hire me for the roles I was applying for. Reason? No industry experience. So I had to start from the bottom. Then within 6 months my boss handed me the entire project. And a year after that I got my dream job. So even though I had to start from the bottom, I progressed in my career faster than any of my colleagues. I don't think that would have been possible without the grad.

On a different note, I'm actually glad that I completed grad right away. After a certain point in life, going back to school is just too difficult.

Also, I've noticed that most Bangladeshis start dreaming of doing a PhD even before they're in university! I may be generalizing, but it's weird how many times I've heard my friends and family say "I don't know what to do, may be I'll do PhD now"! What you've heard is right - it *might* limit your options. Imagine doing undergrad, grad, post grad all at once. Then you'll look for jobs and fall in a much deeper trap than what I faced.
Old March 25, 2012, 01:56 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Shakib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navo
^ Antora, I think Shaad partly answered that above. Is there a subject you really have a passion for? And do you have any intention of being an academic/researcher? If you do, maybe it would be worth it getting a PhD. Then again, there is a huge difference between a PhD in the sciences and a PhD in the Arts/Humanities/Social Sciences. I'm sure the BC Members with PhDs can elaborate on this point.

I think if you don't fall into the category above, there's little point of you going into a PhD program immediately after a Masters. As you said, then work experience will help you more in the job market. Maybe somewhere along the line, when you're deep into your career and potentially discovered a new academic interest (like my Dad), you'll think about doing another Masters degree or a PhD.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabir
That largely depends on what you're focusing on. In my field (IT), you can take quite a few approaches, depending on what you want to do. I did undergrad, 4 months intern, then straight to grad. When I completed my grad, nobody would hire me for the roles I was applying for. Reason? No industry experience. So I had to start from the bottom. Then within 6 months my boss handed me the entire project. And a year after that I got my dream job. So even though I had to start from the bottom, I progressed in my career faster than any of my colleagues. I don't think that would have been possible without the grad.

On a different note, I'm actually glad that I completed grad right away. After a certain point in life, going back to school is just too difficult.

Also, I've noticed that most Bangladeshis start dreaming of doing a PhD even before they're in university! I may be generalizing, but it's weird how many times I've heard my friends and family say "I don't know what to do, may be I'll do PhD now"! What you've heard is right - it *might* limit your options. Imagine doing undergrad, grad, post grad all at once. Then you'll look for jobs and fall in a much deeper trap than what I faced.
I see I see Thank you (both) for that info. I am actually planning to avoid a PHD as much as possible. Amar porar eto dhorjo nai and ami porte porte buri hote chai na! LOL I'll only do it if it's absolutely necessary for me. Although, being known as Dr of International relations or Dr of International development does sound kinda cool :P
Old March 25, 2012, 02:02 AM
Cricket Guru

I have one more reason to not consider PhD. My wife said she will kick me out of the house if I do. So there, decision made.
Old March 25, 2012, 02:08 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mo Chow = Chow Mo

Quote:
I have one more reason to not consider PhD. My wife said she will kick me out of the house if I do. So there, decision made.
But Kabir da you and your wife are also veru succesful commercial fish(fancy guppy) Breeders from up north!! You guys are multi-earning Big Cash producing machines!!
Old March 26, 2012, 09:06 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib

I thought about PhD but as a Biology major, the job market is very saturated. Finished my bachelors around 6 months ago and lucky enough to have a job right away. But now I am in that phase of what to do next. This job is maybe good for now but what about in 10 years or later on when I ummm get married and stuff. That's why I think I made a mistake by not going to grad school right away, because more schooling means better pay and job security? I don't know, I am confused as BANCAN bhai too.
Old March 26, 2012, 02:51 PM

BanCan for public policy, there really is no alternative to doing some research work under a prof as Kabir bhai said. Have some articles published around in print/online media if you can. One of my college dorm-mates is now an analyst at a think tank in Toronto, but he got in there after he finished his Masters as a Rhodes scholar in Oxford, right after his bachelors. Even during undergrads he was working as an RA during 3rd and 4th year at U of T. As a Canadian citizen if you can land yourself a scholarship for Masters/PhD in any public-policy oriented program, that's probably the start.

Anything for policy making and think tanks, I feel that Masters/PhD becomes a minimum. Btw, what happened to your plans to have been in the Canadian Forces reserves? Thats always a bonus on your resume. And also in concurrence with Kabir bhai, paid work trumps all. Toronto's a competitive job market no doubt, any work experience is gonna count. If you can land an internship anywhere thats a great start for corporate life. But if not, bite the bullet and try getting a job anyway.

See if you can do contractual work for the Big 5 banks for 4 months in the summer, I know Kelly Services usually sets people up for that. Getting into a workplace and building rapport with employers is often the first important step in networking. I'm saying big 5, because Bay Street is filled with in-house consultancies that are owned and run by the big 5. You never know when BMO Capital might need an analyst for their mining consultancies in the future . Frankly employers often care more about your attitude and work ethic than what you studied. A degree tells them that you're capable of handling pressure, doing work and solving problems. The rest is all in how you conduct yourself.
Old March 26, 2012, 02:59 PM

Quote:
I see I see Thank you (both) for that info. I am actually planning to avoid a PHD as much as possible. Amar porar eto dhorjo nai and ami porte porte buri hote chai na! LOL I'll only do it if it's absolutely necessary for me. Although, being known as Dr of International relations or Dr of International development does sound kinda cool :P
Not to shatter your dreams, but if you have (pipe) dreams of saving the world by working at the UN HQ as an intl relations major, trust me a Master/PhD is pretty much the starting point for everything. To teach IR, you also better have a PhD and plenty of research under your belt. Plus you're in the wrong city if you think there's much foreign policy work to be done. :P

Can always get a job in the corporate world as a uni graduate with a degree though.
Old March 26, 2012, 08:14 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mufi_02
I thought about PhD but as a Biology major, the job market is very saturated. Finished my bachelors around 6 months ago and lucky enough to have a job right away. But now I am in that phase of what to do next. This job is maybe good for now but what about in 10 years or later on when I ummm get married and stuff. That's why I think I made a mistake by not going to grad school right away, because more schooling means better pay and job security? I don't know, I am confused as BANCAN bhai too.
Mufi, I apologize beforehand for hijacking your post to talk a little about PhDs and jobs in the Biomedical field.

A PhD in Biology is not necessarily going to land anyone their dream job, either, in terms of better pay or job security. You have to be among the best of the best to land a decent faculty position in a research university. And then, much of your life will be spent stressing about RO1 research grants. Keep in mind that in many universities, a good chunk of your salary also comes from your research grants, not entirely from the university. Trust me, if you don't have the passion, drive or temperament for it, life in academia is not fun. Faculty jobs at 4-year colleges aren't much easier either, because just to get it, you'll have to show that you stand out among all other candidates in terms of both research and teaching skills. But then you'll find that there's basically no money for doing any research, and that there's not much you can do with college kids (as opposed to grad students and postdocs) in terms of research anyway. And in both research universities and colleges, there's still the issue of tenure (so, for the first six years you'll be stressing about job security).

That leaves industry -- which still provides well-paying 9-5 (as opposed to all and weird hours in academia) jobs, but mergers in BioTech have reduced both the numbers of PhDs that they need, and job security. Realize that for many of their positions, Masters or even Bachelors is enough.

I mention all this, not to discourage those for whom research is a passion (you'll go to grad school; you won't be able to help it), but those who think of academia as a sinecure, who like the idea of the "Dr." prefix as a title, or who think that getting into grad school is one way of staving off decisions about careers and jobs.

Go get an MD instead. It's hard work too, but it pays well, you'll end up paying off your debt, and the market isn't saturated. Besides, you'll get a lot more respect and make your Bengali parents happy and proud in the bargain.

Finally, keep in mind that I'm talking about my my fields -- Biology and biomedical sciences; other disciplines might well be quite different.
Old March 26, 2012, 11:08 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim & Sakib

Since you are interested in public policy and government jobs it would make sense for you to get a masters in IR or Public policy and the start looking for jobs. In the meantime if you want to get internships in a bank, i would be happy to help in any way I can. I work for RBC so if you find anything that seems interesting while looking for jobs let me know. If I know anyone in that branch or department I can get you an interview. If i dont know anyone you can stilll use me as reference when looking for these internships. I can look at my office as well and check internship opportunities. Good luck in your work search. I think its an excellent idea to work and add something to your resume before looking for full time work out of school.
Old March 27, 2012, 05:00 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Shakib

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammark
Not to shatter your dreams, but if you have (pipe) dreams of saving the world by working at the UN HQ as an intl relations major, trust me a Master/PhD is pretty much the starting point for everything. To teach IR, you also better have a PhD and plenty of research under your belt. Plus you're in the wrong city if you think there's much foreign policy work to be done. :P

Can always get a job in the corporate world as a uni graduate with a degree though.
well....if everything else fails... there's always that option of marrying someone rich *evil smile*.........
Old March 27, 2012, 11:35 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
well....if everything else fails... there's always that option of marrying someone rich *evil smile*.........
Nowadays every marriage to a wealthy person comes with pre-nups.
Old March 27, 2012, 01:10 PM
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Shakib, M. Waugh, Bevan

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaad
Yep! Even if there is no prenup, the case of McCartney v Mills shows that a court will consider factors such as 'contribution to the household' (monetarily or otherwise) very closely before granting any award upon divorce. Heather Mills 'only' got £16 million odd from her divorce with Paul McCartney despite his estate being worth somewhere between £650-£800 million, largely because most of his income was generated before their short marriage. Therefore, the judge only gave her enough to meet 'her needs' but didn't share equally, as the courts sometimes order when couples have been married for years. (Just to show off a little bit of legal knowledge)
Old March 27, 2012, 01:31 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navo
Yep! Even if there is no prenup, the case of McCartney v Mills shows that a court will consider factors such as 'contribution to the household' (monetarily or otherwise) very closely before granting any award upon divorce. Heather Mills 'only' got £16 million odd from her divorce with Paul McCartney despite his estate being worth somewhere between £650-£800 million, largely because most of his income was generated before their short marriage. Therefore, the judge only gave her enough to meet 'her needs' but didn't share equally, as the courts sometimes order when couples have been married for years. (Just to show off a little bit of legal knowledge)
Navo and Antora, here in the US, they still have 9 states which have a marital community property regime, i.e. if some property/assets were acquired during the marriage, upon dissolution of said marriage these property/assets are shared equally.

So Antora, if you do find that rare rich schmuck who'll marry you without prenups, come to the US, invite all of us at BC, and make certain that the wedding is held in one of these 9 states.

Last edited by shaad; March 27, 2012 at 08:07 PM..
Old March 27, 2012, 07:54 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Brian Lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by layperson
Since you are interested in public policy and government jobs it would make sense for you to get a masters in IR or Public policy and the start looking for jobs. In the meantime if you want to get internships in a bank, i would be happy to help in any way I can. I work for RBC so if you find anything that seems interesting while looking for jobs let me know. If I know anyone in that branch or department I can get you an interview. If i dont know anyone you can stilll use me as reference when looking for these internships. I can look at my office as well and check internship opportunities. Good luck in your work search. I think its an excellent idea to work and add something to your resume before looking for full time work out of school.
Thanks. It would be amazing if I could get in a bank even as teller.

I am assuming online job postings would be the best way to find suitable positions?

* Edit: Didnt really find anything in a commuting distance. Please do send me a PM if you know of any other opportunity. I highly appreciate it.

Last edited by Bancan; March 28, 2012 at 12:29 AM..
Old March 28, 2012, 01:06 PM

Favorite Player: Shakib, Nasir, Sir Don

Learn to network effectively. Also, using LinkedIn might help. No stupid post at FB.
Old March 28, 2012, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsayeed
Go for a direct PhD. with fellowship. Seriously, that'w what I did after my Bachelors.
Go for a Ph.D. only if you like the area and have the temperament. Otherwise, a Master's or an MBA can be golden.
Old March 28, 2012, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Wow! Thankfully, I married after I entered my Ph.D. program...
Old March 29, 2012, 07:21 PM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Awesome

Nice thread. Very relevant for me these days. Thanks BanCan and all the other contributing members.

I am currently doing a masters in Accounting and Finance; started it immediately after my bachelors and will be graduating this July inshallah. I am actively looking for finance/accounting related jobs, but many folks (even from some people in career services) said that a masters degree nowadays makes a potential employee 'overqualified' for many entry level jobs. But I hardly have any prior full-time work experience to apply for mid-tier positions.

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.
Old March 29, 2012, 11:26 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim & Sakib

@ bancan: your best bet is the internet when looking for internships. I can only try and help you once you find something you like. I havent looked in my office but will let you know if there are any opportunities that i hear about ( then again since I work at the corporate office there are not too many internship opportunities there).
Old March 30, 2012, 08:47 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Di Caprio

Quote:
Originally Posted by layperson
then again since I work at the corporate office there are not too many internship opportunities there).
stop lying, we all know you work at a cell phone store... ripping off people tricking them to sign 2 year contract...

Two types of sales people I can't stand. Cell phone store employees and the low class jerks that sell eye glasses. They all seem to have this demeanor that just crawls my skin.

Now shoe salesman, mens wear service and fast food sales girls/supermarket cashier I appreciate. For some reason, these people are down to earth.

yes very odd.
Old March 30, 2012, 09:19 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Brian Lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmahmud
Nice thread. Very relevant for me these days. Thanks BanCan and all the other contributing members.

I am currently doing a masters in Accounting and Finance; started it immediately after my bachelors and will be graduating this July inshallah. I am actively looking for finance/accounting related jobs, but many folks (even from some people in career services) said that a masters degree nowadays makes a potential employee 'overqualified' for many entry level jobs. But I hardly have any prior full-time work experience to apply for mid-tier positions.

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.
From what I understand, most people start off with one of the big four companies. Gain experience there and then move on to other things.
Old March 31, 2012, 02:06 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDumb
stop lying, we all know you work at a cell phone store... ripping off people tricking them to sign 2 year contract...

Two types of sales people I can't stand. Cell phone store employees and the low class jerks that sell eye glasses. They all seem to have this demeanor that just crawls my skin.

Now shoe salesman, mens wear service and fast food sales girls/supermarket cashier I appreciate. For some reason, these people are down to earth.

yes very odd.
The guy you hit? If he got a look at the plates, it won't even take that long. There's no play here. There's no angle, there's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up.