facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

View Poll Results: Which is the Best Test Innings By a Bangladeshi?
Mominul 126* vs NZ 2013 2 6.90%
Ashraful 158* vs IND 2004 6 20.69%
Mominul 181 vs NZ 2013 3 10.34%
Shahriar Nafees 138 vs AUS 2006 2 6.90%
Bulbul 145 vs IND 2000 2 6.90%
Mushfiq 116 vs WI 2014 1 3.45%
Mushfiq 200 vs SL 2013 6 20.69%
Ashraful 190 vs SL 2013 1 3.45%
Tamim 103 vs ENG (Lord's) 2010 1 3.45%
Nafees Iqbal 121 vs ZIM 2005 1 3.45%
other (please specify) 4 13.79%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 9, 2014, 10:02 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin
Default Best Test Knock By A Bangladesh Batsman

Here is my list of the greatest Test innings played by any Bangladeshi bat in our nearly 14 year history. Feedback of all kinds is keenly anticipated.

1. Mominul Haque | 126 not out vs New Zealand | Mirpur, Dhaka 2013
I picked this innings not only because he's my favorite batsman, but because of the context of the match and the circumstances of the knock itself. Fresh off his heroics from the first Test, Mominul once again found himself entering upon a scene of disaster. Only this time he had a fever. Everyone remembers MJ's famous "sick game" against the Utah Jazz, and while this was no championship, Test cricket is itself a form of championship reserved for the elite. Bangladesh were 55-2 in the second innings, needing 100 more just to make New Zealand bat again. Mominul consolidated with Tamim Iqbal and by the end of the fourth day, Bangladesh were in a position of relative control being 100+ runs ahead with 7 wickets left. A washed out final day may have robbed him of a most deserved double ton, but it couldn't prevent him from earning the Player of the Series award.

2. Mohammad Ashraful | 158 not out vs India | Chittagong 2004
Incidentally the first time I ever watched Test cricket live, I saw this. Ashraful was in supreme form that year in general, even more so that day. If it weren't for the fact that the guy above him on this list was sick, this would be the number one knock due to the sheer brilliance of its quality. Ashraful was unstoppable as he so rarely could be. Gorgeous cover drives, delicate sweeps, and powerful pulls led him to a rapid century. Whilst not against a top flight bowling attack, a lineup of Zaheer Khan, Harbajan Singh, and Anil Kumble would go on to claim more than 1300 Test wickets combined.

3. Mominul Haque | 181 vs New Zealand | Chittagong 2013
Mominul's first ton was one of the finest we've seen yet. Not only was it massive, but under immense pressure as he came in with the scoreboard screaming 8 for 2 and his team trailing by a whopping 461 runs. Still the largest innings compiled on home soil, this century was a tale of two halves. Mominul's first 100 runs came of just 98 deliveries. Yet, this wasn't a Sehwag style blitz as he merely took advantage anytime the Kiwis erred in line and length. In a superb display of versatility, the last 81 runs Mominul scored consumed 176 deliveries, proving that he could not only bat for runs but also for time as well. In the end, this knock was crucial to Bangladesh earning their first home draw against an established Test side.

4. Mohammad Ashraful | 114 @ Sri Lanka | Colombo 2001
An extant world record is definitely a thing to love and to cherish so long as it shall live. Whether Ash was 16 (as he claims), or 17 (the official record), or even 18 years old, two facts are certain: he's officially the youngest player in history to ever hit a Test century, and he was the first superstar of Bangladesh cricket. What makes this innings all the more remarkable was that it came against an attack led by Muttiah Muralitharan and Chaminda Vaas. Although ultimately a colossal bust, Ashraful would go on to give glimpses of what should have been against Murali for the next decade, hitting five of his six centuries against them, including three in the fortress of Sri Lanka.

5. Shahriar Nafees | 138 vs Australia | Fatullah 2006
A performance against one of the two greatest teams of all time will always merit accolades. Its perhaps a touch unfair to consider Shahriar Nafees a one-hit wonder, but this is that hit. A fearsome bowling lineup (even without Glenn McGrath) consisting of Brett Lee, Jason Gillespie, and the wizardry of Shane Warne ate up opposing batsman like I ate Froot Loops growing up. In that context, the memory of Nafees repeatedly getting down on one knee to sweep Shane Warne is indelible.

6. Aminul Islam | 145 vs India | Dhaka 2000
Bangladesh's very first centurion, Bulbul, silenced all critics, if only for a few months, by demonstrating that Bangladesh belonged at the highest level. Of course that demonstration turned out to not be true, but leading Test cricket's newest inductee to a impressive total of 400 in the very first match was awesome. A packed house of 40,000 screamed their vocal cords off when he reached that majestic triple digit score at the old Bangabandhu National Stadium.

7. Mushfiqur Rahim | 116 @ West Indies | St Vincent 2014
Mushy underlined the fact that he is probably the toughest cricketer Bangladesh have produced. He battled hard to score 164 runs across both innings despite not getting much support from his teammates, he looked set to save the match from a nearly impossible position. He suffered an injured finger midway through his innings when a back of a length delivery from Jerome Taylor caught him on the bottom hand and scored nearly half of his runs in considerable pain as the cameras frequently caught him grimacing after he played a stroke. Though unable to prevent a massive defeat, scoring an away ton is always an achievement.

8. Mushfiqur Rahim | 200 @ Sri Lanka | Galle 2013
Bangladesh's first and to date only double centurion, this was an important knock due to historic nature of achieving this landmark. All great batsmen have at least one double-ton on their CV, and Mushfiqur has ambitions of one day joining that club. Although the pitch was ultra flat, the runs still had to be scored, and the endurance required to score them in hot humid conditions is exemplary. This innings led Bangladesh to posting their highest ever innings total of 638 and was thus a landmark for the team as well.

9. Mohammad Ashraful | 190 @ Sri Lanka | Galle 2013
This was Ash's most patient knock. Notorious for losing his patience out of nowhere, he spent a gruelling 8 hours and 19 minutes at the crease over three days, facing a mammoth 417 balls before falling agonizingly short of a double century. It was all the more remarkable because Ashraful's career was seemingly over and it was only through a series of serendipitous events that resulted in his selection in the first place. He made it count by breaking his own eight year old team record, only to see his captain Mushfiq break it minutes later in the innings referenced above.

10. Tamim Iqbal | 103 @ England | Lord's 2010
A scintillating innings where Tamim first announced himself to the wider cricketing world. His run-a-ball century was brutal against England's prestigious bowling attack, an attack he would feast on home and away that year with scores of 125, 108, and 103 across both Tests and ODIs. This performance led to Tamim becoming just one of two Bangladeshis with their name on the famous Honor's Board at Lord's.

11. Nafees Iqbal | 121 vs Zimbabwe | Dhaka 2005
The senior Iqbal brother only ever hit one Test century, but it was the match-saving and series-winning knock that gave Bangladesh their first ever series win. It was a remarkable exposition of old fashioned attritional cricket as Nafees went on to bat for nearly 8 hours in a historic effort for his country.

Last edited by al Furqaan; September 11, 2014 at 02:20 PM..
Old September 9, 2014, 10:33 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: shakib al hasan

shakib al hasan 144 against pakistan.
Old September 9, 2014, 11:19 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

Didn't mominul have a fever whilst scoring one of his tons? That's a pretty good effort...
Old September 9, 2014, 11:25 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gowza
Didn't mominul have a fever whilst scoring one of his tons? That's a pretty good effort...
Clearly you didn't read the OP!
Old September 10, 2014, 12:46 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Shakib, Mashrafe

Voted 'Other'.

For me the best test knock is Mohammad Ashraful's 114 vs Sri Lanka 2001/02 in SL.

This was Md. Ashraful's debut match where he made a history of being the youngest ever to make a century and that too against strong SL bowling line up - Vaas, Murali, Perera. Bangladesh got bundled out for only 90 runs in their first inning and SL scored mammoth 555 runs. In the 2nd inning, Ashraful played a gem of an inning of 114 runs under immense pressure. The way he handled Vaas and Murali was a treat to watch and by far one of the best test knocks by a Bangladeshi in a foreign soil.
Old September 10, 2014, 01:35 AM
Cricket Legend

Didnt get to see Ashraful's 114, but it must have been something really special against Muralitharan in conditions where Sri Lanka is usually unbeatable.

The one that doesnt get washed out of my memory was Aminul Islam's 145. Maybe not because of the knock itself, but perhaps because of the context.
Old September 10, 2014, 02:23 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: All Bangladeshi players

Good thread Al Furqaan vai. It is really tough to decide the best test innings from the lot. I have voted for the double ton.
Old September 10, 2014, 03:04 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by al Furqaan
Clearly you didn't read the OP!
i did but was reading it on my phone, obviously missed that part.
Old September 10, 2014, 03:07 AM
Cricket Guru

i think that mominul already having at least 2 centuries sticking in the fans minds is pretty impressive considering he's played only a handful of tests.
Old September 10, 2014, 03:17 AM

Favorite Player: Shakib, Brian Lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naimul_Hd
Voted 'Other'.

For me the best test knock is Mohammad Ashraful's 114 vs Sri Lanka 2001/02 in SL.

This was Md. Ashraful's debut match where he made a history of being the youngest ever to make a century and that too against strong SL bowling line up - Vaas, Murali, Perera. Bangladesh got bundled out for only 90 runs in their first inning and SL scored mammoth 555 runs. In the 2nd inning, Ashraful played a gem of an inning of 114 runs under immense pressure. The way he handled Vaas and Murali was a treat to watch and by far one of the best test knocks by a Bangladeshi in a foreign soil.
agree with this
Old September 10, 2014, 05:58 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Nannu, Ash, Mash

Another interesting point to be noted that both of the Ashraful's greatest innings (114 vs SL and 158 vs Ind) came under pressure and on the second innings ( 3rd and 4th day of the match) and they are against two of highest wicket taker of the history - Murali and Kumble.
Old September 10, 2014, 05:59 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Tam,Sak,Nasa,Mash

Abul HAsan ton

Seriously speaking it's hard to tell and I haven't watched all of them but I will go for Mominul's 181 and probably Sakib's 144 ?
Old September 10, 2014, 07:48 AM
Cricket Legend

Tamim's century at Old Trafford was better than his century at Lord's.
Old September 10, 2014, 09:46 AM

Favorite Player: Shakib, Brian Lara

Tamim's century was amazing to watch for the shots he played but had he used up 250 deliveries to do it then it would have been useful in terms of result.
Old September 10, 2014, 10:16 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib

very good list.

I think Ash's 190 against SL was amazing. He was very patient and played a true test knock.
Old September 10, 2014, 10:38 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: AdamGilchrist,TaskinAhmed

Ash's debut 100 could have been included in the list.
Old September 10, 2014, 11:05 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: All the BD players

I know Ash's century has a special place in our hearts since it was the highest Test score for a while and obviously was a highly classy innings but I think Tamim's century at Lord's is on a different level. Just to have your name on the honor board, especially as a Bangladeshi, I think that holds a different kind of accolade since he did perform at the "home of cricket."I'd actually rate his Old Trafford innings as high since those were even tougher conditions. We also saw how the English attack has smoked the Indian and Australian batsmen in similar conditions. And the kind of authority he played with will make me never forget that tour overall for Tamim.

Also keep in mind we haven't had our batsmen score too many centuries outside of the subcontinent. So to me when you look at the overall picture, Tamim's century has to be the best by a Bangladeshi

Last edited by Tiger444; September 10, 2014 at 12:00 PM..
Old September 10, 2014, 11:58 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Very good post Asaad. FP material.

I am personally a landmark person and didn't see Ash's earlier innings. So I have to go with Mushfiqur but then again as Tiger444 said Lord's century is indeed on a different level. So torn between these two.
The guy you hit? If he got a look at the plates, it won't even take that long. There's no play here. There's no angle, there's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up.
Old September 10, 2014, 12:00 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

When Riyad was inhis peak...lol I know oxymoron to some..esp. to The Jadz... but this DEFINITELY deserves a mention:

http://www.espncricinfo.com/nzvbdesh...ry/448698.html
http://www.espncricinfo.com/nzvbdesh...ch/423786.html

Surprised Sakeb list e nye*
The guy you hit? If he got a look at the plates, it won't even take that long. There's no play here. There's no angle, there's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up.

Last edited by Zeeshan; September 10, 2014 at 12:01 PM.. Reason: *Not Bill Nye the science guy
Old September 10, 2014, 12:25 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeshan
Very good post Asaad. FP material.

I am personally a landmark person and didn't see Ash's earlier innings. So I have to go with Mushfiqur but then again as Tiger444 said Lord's century is indeed on a different level. So torn between these two.
Put it up then Z bhai.

But I guess I need to add an entry for Ash 114. I forgot to add it. Stay tuned.
Old September 10, 2014, 12:29 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by al Furqaan
Put it up then Z bhai.

But I guess I need to add an entry for Ash 114. I forgot to add it. Stay tuned.
I like that. I like that.
Old September 10, 2014, 01:08 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Tam,Sak,Nasa,Mash

AF bhai, what about adding Sakib's 144 against Ajmol & Gul, he was MoM of that match for his 144 & 6 wicket haul despite BD losing by 7 wickets.
http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engin...ch/538073.html
Old September 10, 2014, 02:54 PM
Cricket Legend

I've never seen HaBa's tons, but how impressive were they? He always seemed like a classy test batsmen back then.
Old September 10, 2014, 03:02 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon
AF bhai, what about adding Sakib's 144 against Ajmol & Gul, he was MoM of that match for his 144 & 6 wicket haul despite BD losing by 7 wickets.
http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engin...ch/538073.html
I only put the innings that stood out in my mind/opinion as the best or most historic knocks we've seen. That innings was certainly first rate, but I just don't feel like it should be a candidate for the single best innings by a Bangladeshi. Each of the innings listed with the possible exception of Bulbul's meets that criteria, IMO. Bulbul was first and thus he might have benefitted from sentimental bias. Except for that first ton, I've followed or watched all of those knocks and was impressed by all of them. Which might explain how I was going to include Ash's maiden ton and forgot. However, a world record - still extant!!! - is definitely worthy of mention. I just have to figure out where to slot it in.

However its interesting to note that Shakib's 144 has gotten a lot of the 'other' votes.
Old September 10, 2014, 03:07 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadukor
Tamim's century was amazing to watch for the shots he played but had he used up 250 deliveries to do it then it would have been useful in terms of result.
Results matter. Has we drawn, Tamim would have been catapulted on this list.