facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old August 30, 2012, 02:52 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Favorite Player: Innocent Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gowza
a few names missing in anamul, mominul, asif, abu jayed, al amin. other youngsters like SS and tasamul not there either but they're on the fringes so no a big deal they aren't there but the 1st 5 i mentioned should be there, anamul especially.
I guess McIiness have some plan with them in the academy...regular player like S.Gazi/noor .Hoassain also missing..

Also, I think Taskin should be in the academy instead of A team atm

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Blackberry)
Old August 30, 2012, 03:30 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadim 98
I guess McIiness have some plan with them in the academy...regular player like S.Gazi/noor .Hoassain also missing..

Also, I think Taskin should be in the academy instead of A team atm

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Blackberry)
taskin should definitely be in the academy team instead of the A team, if he's in the A team then the other performing u19s should be to. i guess because taskin is a pacer who has pace he was fast tracked to the A team, abu jayed did really well for u19s in the WC and also has done really well domestically and didn't get a call. seems like the selectors are just pushing anyone who has pace atm otherwise why are al amin and abu jayed being ignored when we are in dire need of decent pacers?
Old November 30, 2012, 10:50 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib

A good innings but he lacks serious footworks. He got beaten by Sammy at least 10 times. He doesn't bring the front foot out at all. I don't know if he is nervous or that's his natural style. But played few good drives
Old November 30, 2012, 12:44 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Tam,Sak,Nasa,Mash

I thought the shots Anam played were very well played shots, technically correct.
He took time at the beginning.
Hope he continues like this.
But got to keep in mind that it was a perfect senario for a debutant, most probably we will be chasing bigger totals or bat first & try to get 250+.
That will be the big Test for him.
But for now he should do what Kaedge did, build a 50 run partnership with TI, and pace his innings accordingly.
Old November 30, 2012, 01:15 PM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

^ Technically correct? Just like most of our other batsmen he has little to no footwork. May be on the drive he looks good, but on the back foot he just swings at it from the crease. He almost fell over trying to cut a couple of times.
Old November 30, 2012, 01:28 PM

^ Anam needs to correct his foot work and get help from Richard. Hope he will sort it out.
Old November 30, 2012, 01:36 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Shak-Ash-Tam

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpurush
^ Anam needs to correct his foot work and get help from Richard. Hope he will sort it out.
If that was possible in BD national team, don't you think that at least some of our boys would have done it in last 10-12 years?? Lets just hope that he already has it but nerves got on him today or that's how he plays...like most of our players...
Old November 30, 2012, 01:45 PM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

Don't really care about his technique so much, as long as he guts it out and scores a lot of runs.
Old November 30, 2012, 01:50 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilscoop
Don't really care about his technique so much, as long as he guts it out and scores a lot of runs.
Same here.
Old November 30, 2012, 03:35 PM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilscoop
That's a a very bad attitude to have in my opinion. I am glad a fan feels that way instead of the player himself. His career has just began and he's going to be in the BD camp for a long time. I am sure he'd like to correct his techniques at this stage of his life rather than later. Just because he happened to get some runs doesn't mean he'll always be lucky. It's like a fast bowler saying, "I don't care how many runs I give away in ODIs or my line and/or length as long as I get wickets"

You can score lot more runs by fine tuning your techniques same way you can get more wickets and concede less run by tweaking your bowling's line and length. The point is, basics or basic techniques are everything in cricket.
Old November 30, 2012, 03:47 PM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharup
That's a a very bad attitude to have in my opinion. I am glad a fan feels that way instead of the player himself. His career has just began and he's going to be in the BD camp for a long time. I am sure he'd like to correct his techniques at this stage of his life rather than later. Just because he happened to get some runs doesn't mean he'll always be lucky. It's like a fast bowler saying, "I don't care how many runs I give away in ODIs or my line and/or length as long as I get wickets"

You can score lot more runs by fine tuning your techniques same way you can get more wickets and concede less run by tweaking your bowling's line and length. The point is, basics or basic techniques are everything in cricket.
Gayle
Shiv
Sehwag
KP
AB
Smith
Cook
Strauss
Shakib
Tamim

My logic: Scorers > Technically sound deadwoods. And that thing you tried to prove with bowlers and L&L and Wickets. Not the same thing as this. Not even close. So invalid.

What you are saying matches with SR and AVG. "My SR is super high" averaging 19.
Old November 30, 2012, 04:14 PM
Cricket Legend

We have a fairly long break from international cricket after the WI series. All the four debutantes need to work closely with the coaching staff during this period, to polish their skills.
Old November 30, 2012, 04:15 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Favorite Player: Innocent Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eshen
We have a fairly long break from international cricket after the WI series. All the four debutantes need to work closely with the coaching staff during this period, to polish their skills.
need a batting coach in the meantime tho...
Old November 30, 2012, 04:27 PM
BC Editorial Team

Anamul has quick hands (as illustrated by his off-drives against Narine). However that lack of footwork will be exposed by a pacier bowler who can get the ball to lift. Then his propensity to drive at the ball without footwork will lead to nicks because he will not be able to go up to meet the bouncing ball by straightening when ball arrives in the bat's vicinity. Sammy beat him a zillion times outside off but the ball was staying low or nipped back slightly and passed through to the keeper.

Tweaking your technique is not about changing your batting. Technique means coming up with a repeatable set of skills/motion that ensures you don't get out as well as score runs. Anam's technique has helped him score runs so far but he will get worked out soon enough.

As an illustration of my point that technique != copy-book, Shewag has a unique technique but it is a very good technique that works with his ability to keep his head extremely still and incredible power in his wrists. Gayle has a unique technique that works because he's a right-hander playing left-handed which means he has a supremely strong top-hand (can hit sixes 1-handed) which in turn means the bat rarely ever turns in his hand. Watson has a good technique that works because he cam move his front leg out of the way and still get really low to meet the ball. What did KP say after scoring his 180? "I trusted by defensive TECHNIQUE"

SO, wishing to see a batter fix his technique is not about wishing him to become a Dravid or Tendu or Bell.
Old November 30, 2012, 04:30 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadim 98
need a batting coach in the meantime tho...
Yeah. For now, Anamul/Mominul should be asked to work with McInnes.
Old November 30, 2012, 04:33 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eshen
Same here.
Same here. And since Ian is a member, I will just say it publicly. In chat Ian said : "Rubbish Shot" after Tamim hit an awkward four. My concern, dear coach, is if you were to work/ed with players, I don't think cynicism will help. Not that criticism isn't appreciated but it can be constructive. It's like someone writes an essay and a teacher just dumps it into trash. Calling a shot as "rubbish" doesn't exactly produce conducive work environment.

@Eshen's point Tamim played according to his own style and it paid off (just like other non-defensive style) so I can really care less how the runs come. Bottom line is we won.

Ian, if you are reading this, I would love to hear your point. Not a dig at you!

Btw, I tagged you in facebook Ian for the response.
Old December 1, 2012, 10:34 AM
Ex Bangladesh National Bowling Coach
Dhaka Gladiators Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeshan
Same here. And since Ian is a member, I will just say it publicly. In chat Ian said : "Rubbish Shot" after Tamim hit an awkward four. My concern, dear coach, is if you were to work/ed with players, I don't think cynicism will help. Not that criticism isn't appreciated but it can be constructive. It's like someone writes an essay and a teacher just dumps it into trash. Calling a shot as "rubbish" doesn't exactly produce conducive work environment.

@Eshen's point Tamim played according to his own style and it paid off (just like other non-defensive style) so I can really care less how the runs come. Bottom line is we won.

Ian, if you are reading this, I would love to hear your point. Not a dig at you!

Btw, I tagged you in facebook Ian for the response.
Thanks for your comments.

I have to say, I find it odd to select a comment from a 'chat' room (bearing in mind half the stuff in chat is just that) most of which are made as a throw away line, completely out of context from any of the conversation prior to this, and then repeat it here in a forum as an example of "a conducive work environment".

As an overview, if someone plays an ungainly slog or has a big swing at a ball and gets away with it, this is not at all good cricket. But clearly it can be lucky and effective, in that particular instance.

I don't recall the actual shot you refer to, to be honest, as the comment was a throwaway one.

As a coach working with players, there are many times you do need to tell people what they are doing isn't good enough. Your choice of words will suit the environment.

If a bowler bowls a really poor ball, or a fielder drops an easy catch, it would often be appropriate to say that is 'rubbish'. Not least as you expect that player not to make the errors of someone with little talent.

I have often bowled a ball in my career as said to myself "Ian that's ******* rubbish".

I appreciate you are trying to create something here but this conversation is a non starter to be honest.

With respect to technique, there will always be people with 'unique' ways of playing who are successful. Great technique comes in two different froms:

1. Shot selection - You can be lucky and play the right shot badly and get away with it
2. Shot execution - You can be lucky and play the wrong shot well and get away with it

World class players tend to play the right shots well. Lesser players don't always get 1 and 2 right.

The less errors you make technically as a batsmen the higher the chances you have of being a truly great player, which is exactly why good technique makes you less 'hit and miss' and is what all batsmen should be striving for.

Last edited by Ian Pont; December 1, 2012 at 11:07 AM..
Old December 1, 2012, 11:10 AM
Ex Bangladesh National Bowling Coach
Dhaka Gladiators Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharup

100% correct... anything less is an excuse for "that's how I play". All batsmen should strive to select the right shot and then to hit the ball correctly.

Great technique makes you highly consistent.
Old December 1, 2012, 07:48 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Pont
Thanks for your comments.

I have to say, I find it odd to select a comment from a 'chat' room (bearing in mind half the stuff in chat is just that) most of which are made as a throw away line, completely out of context from any of the conversation prior to this, and then repeat it here in a forum as an example of "a conducive work environment".

As an overview, if someone plays an ungainly slog or has a big swing at a ball and gets away with it, this is not at all good cricket. But clearly it can be lucky and effective, in that particular instance.

I don't recall the actual shot you refer to, to be honest, as the comment was a throwaway one.

As a coach working with players, there are many times you do need to tell people what they are doing isn't good enough. Your choice of words will suit the environment.

If a bowler bowls a really poor ball, or a fielder drops an easy catch, it would often be appropriate to say that is 'rubbish'. Not least as you expect that player not to make the errors of someone with little talent.

I have often bowled a ball in my career as said to myself "Ian that's ******* rubbish".

I appreciate you are trying to create something here but this conversation is a non starter to be honest.
Hi Ian,

Thanks for the response. I am sorry if I tried to create a mountain out of molehill. And also we fans and players need to have thick skin. Guess, I was just frustrated for the 'buzzkill' :p when I was soaring on Tamim's adrenaline shots. Hehe.

But now that we mentioned it; it can be something constructive: I wonder if coaches become tough on our players, do the players take it personally and affect their performances? I personally became hard-callused due to so many rejections. But culturally Bangladeshi people cries when criticized or 'rejected'. But by now our players should be able to stomach such things.

That was a rubbish shot though. Possibly a knee-jerk reaction from my part could be avoided but I went to la-la land and thought if Ian said it to Tamim, Tamim would go to restroom and start sobbing and we wouldn't know anything about it and he wouldn't be able to score his 6th consec. 50 :P

Btw, hope we are still dosts in fb.
Old December 1, 2012, 08:26 PM
Administrator

That's the problem isn't - uberly sensitive prima donnas who think they are the shitz and the at the slightest negative comment go crying behind their mom's achole. Or they get so violently pissed off that they lash out in anger and arrange for protest micchils and the de rigeur bus burnings. This cultural cancer spans from sports to politics to business. Ok, I have strayed a bit far from the topic at hand but u felt it needed to be said. Yes, there is much to be said about honesty. And much to be said about taking it like a man and going about your business. We never stop learning.
Old December 2, 2012, 01:31 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Hashim Amla

Allah is far too kind: a century on your second match boiiii, not chance-less but they all count

Old December 2, 2012, 01:31 AM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

^ HEY! Concentrate on your batting Momin!!
Old December 2, 2012, 01:34 AM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

People that be bitching about him being "selfish." Well can you blame the kid? Playing his 2nd ever Pro lvl game, and he is about to get his first 100. He'd be stupid enough to worry about the team at that point, after all that hard work. It's not like he didn't try to get it out the way asap. I'm sure he'd be lot less selfish in his 2nd time around.

We'd all be selfish in that sort of situation. It's in human nature.
Old December 2, 2012, 01:36 AM
Street Cricketer

Awesome job Anamul Haque. Hopefully you continue to shine. Lots of great hitting and aggression. Wonder if he's also a Ana-mul in bed. Lol
Old December 2, 2012, 01:37 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib, Pollard, Steyn

That was absolutely brilliant! the shot making, concentration and how he moved between gears was amazing. The little misshap during the 90s is understandable, just his second match after all. He still made up for it though! Finished with a 83ish strike that. Thats really good in my books