facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old March 28, 2012, 09:44 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purbasha T
Every time you feel like blowing that cig/pipe, do the next best thing.
[deleted]
Old March 29, 2012, 01:51 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Buzz Lightyear

Smoking

addiction is usually considered a chronic disorder, something which will come and go and to effectively quit you will probably have to go through a few phases of relapses.

Everyone talks about smoking and lung cancer however it's not only that you should worry about. COPD is a pretty nasty disease which can lead to (right) heart failure and pulmonary hypertension which insome cases can result in you spitting up blood stained "sputum" (this is a simplified view). Not only are the risks of other cancers increased but you will have vascular disease-this can present with leg pain while walking, coronary heart disease is obviously the elephant in the room and you may also get neuropathic pain in the feet and legs.

The consequences are not only "pain" and loss of function but the ulcers you may get from a general lack of perfusion are quite nasty, increase your risk of infection and cellulitis

These are not the only things there are quite a few other thing, including strokes etc etc the list goes on.

Smokng has been shown to be alright for parkinson's disease and ulcerative colitis

But the thing is giving up smoking isn't reliant on the patches etc-in fact most people who quit do so via their volition more than these gimmicks. There are things that help it too-during ramadhan alot of smokers are able to give up smoking during the day, really an indication of the fact that it's a lack of application more than anything.

Giving up isn't hard, but you have to make a start and expect failures.
Old March 29, 2012, 05:40 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Di Caprio

^^feels like reading an uptodate article. :p
Old March 29, 2012, 05:42 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDumb
Was expecting you to comment on #23.
The guy you hit? If he got a look at the plates, it won't even take that long. There's no play here. There's no angle, there's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up.
Old March 29, 2012, 05:43 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Saudi Capital

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeshan
[deleted]
lol noooo I wanna see what was written!!
Old March 29, 2012, 07:03 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Indians

im a good boy! i stay away from these stuff.
Old March 29, 2012, 10:54 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

It's all about having a strong niyat. Anyone agrees? Sohel da? Rifat...
The guy you hit? If he got a look at the plates, it won't even take that long. There's no play here. There's no angle, there's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up.
Old March 29, 2012, 11:24 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim & Sakib

easiest way to give up one addiction is to get hooked into another addiction. At least thats how i forgot about ex's, by moving onto the next one
Old March 29, 2012, 11:52 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by layperson
easiest way to give up one addiction is to get hooked into another addiction. At least thats how i forgot about ex's, by moving onto the next one

Pick a better addiction.
Old March 30, 2012, 12:15 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Hardest part is stopping cold turkey. Chance of recidivism is really high. Some Dos and Don'ts I believe will help:

-Don't do it for your mom or gf or someone you love. I used this tactic (for former) and it DOESN'T work. Actually we humans are very selfish and we don't really make sacrifices for others. If anything at least ask why you should do it for yourself.

-Do introspect. Break the abstract process analytically. There may have been a time in your life where you never relied on it cigs or drinks. Childhood. Whatever. What changed?

-Don't quit. But don't don't quit.

-Do replace instead of focusing on ending something. Thing sometimes work for me is taking a cold shower in the morning which energizes the body instead of need for smoke.

-Be gentle on yourself.

-Don't follow hero. Take a look at the radio songs, music videos, celebs. Everyone glorifies drugs and drinking. For me, many math students apparently have adderall parties. So no point in tracing others' footsteps instead be one.

And finally, the one that is helping me which I mentioned: NIYOT. With intent (I know it may sound New Agey, but hypnosis worked for Matt Damon to quit smoking) you can rewire the neurons to make new pathway.

I am still recovering. So forgive me if I came across preachy.
Old March 30, 2012, 04:00 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Uptodate is expensive in aus but a great resource nonetheless. Tried to make what I said evidence based but was probably drab reading. Too back the pictures didn't come through, they were decently gross

Are you from a medical background
Old March 30, 2012, 04:03 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Hardest part is stopping cold turkey. Chance of recidivism is really high. Some Dos and Don'ts I believe will help:

-Don't do it for your mom or gf or someone you love. I used this tactic (for former) and it DOESN'T work. Actually we humans are very selfish and we don't really make sacrifices for others. If anything at least ask why you should do it for yourself.

-Do introspect. Break the abstract process analytically. There may have been a time in your life where you never relied on it cigs or drinks. Childhood. Whatever. What changed?

-Don't quit. But don't don't quit.

-Do replace instead of focusing on ending something. Thing sometimes work for me is taking a cold shower in the morning which energizes the body instead of need for smoke.

-Be gentle on yourself.

-Don't follow hero. Take a look at the radio songs, music videos, celebs. Everyone glorifies drugs and drinking. For me, many math students apparently have adderall parties. So no point in tracing others' footsteps instead be one.

And finally, the one that is helping me which I mentioned: NIYOT. With intent (I know it may sound New Agey, but hypnosis worked for Matt Damon to quit smoking) you can rewire the neurons to make new pathway.

I am still recovering. So forgive me if I came across preachy.
In the 50s doctors were advertising Marlboroughs. It's all about money, chronic diseases and the pharmaceutical industry

Hope it works out. I guess best thing, althoug sounds corny, one can do is be positive and try and have goal oriented days whether they try and achieve something each day that keeps them busy. When you aren't preoccupied that's when there'll be a tendency to think about smoking
Old March 30, 2012, 02:27 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hassan

Well, it's all about the replacement for me. When my dad quit, he substituted by chewing cinnamon barks. One way I curbed my own smoking tendencies was to fcuk around more. Most places I go have smoke detectors, and so can't light up in bed, can you? True story.
Old March 30, 2012, 08:01 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mar umpire
Are you from a medical background
oh! what gave it away?

my dislike for your post should have been enough.
what are you - you sound like a nerd - who the hell waste their time looking at leg ulcers....thats nasty dude.
Old March 31, 2012, 12:25 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mo Chow = Chow Mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadim 98
Im addicted to girls

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Blackberry)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifat
option 1: get married!
option 2: start Fasting!
option 3: Matha Nera Koro!!!
Hahahahahahaaaa....Nadim! Khalamma (your amma) knows about this dude?:?
...Hhehehhe..so what are you doind about it man??

My advice for you bro is to eat 2 dozen boiled eggs and 2 dozen bananas and a minimum of 2 chicken whole per day and a big pot of Bhaat!! You need a lot of strength now!! Call Mohammed bro, Tigers-eye bora dada bhai, they have a lot of expeience with this kind of problem, they can give some good advice too, but I say, you need to put on some muscle asap like them bora bhais!!!!: Jagoo Bd jagoo!
Old March 31, 2012, 06:44 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
oh! what gave it away?

my dislike for your post should have been enough.
what are you - you sound like a nerd - who the hell waste their time looking at leg ulcers....thats nasty dude.
I'm a man. might be a nerd too but don't really regard myself as one

yeah ulcers aren't that cool but you get used to it in a hospital setting, there should more pics on cigarette packets and fastfood outlets-put people off bad habits before they even start
Old March 31, 2012, 06:34 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Saw a book on B&N but couldn't afford it. Here's an excerpt:

http://www.memoirsofanaddictedbrain.com/excerpt/
Old March 31, 2012, 08:21 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: The venerated one on BC.

What if you are addicted to getting rid of an addiction?
Old March 31, 2012, 08:47 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Saw a book on B&N but couldn't afford it. Here's an excerpt:

http://www.memoirsofanaddictedbrain.com/excerpt/
Finally got it. Begged mommie for the mo-ney. It is really written well (read good parts of it) and I REALLY recommend to anyone battling or even musing to try dangerous hard drugs (illegal or anything over-the-counter as cough syrup).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrequiem
What if you are addicted to getting rid of an addiction?
LOL!
Old March 31, 2012, 09:11 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
I'm a man. might be a nerd too but don't really regard myself as one

yeah ulcers aren't that cool but you get used to it in a hospital setting, there should more pics on cigarette packets and fastfood outlets-put people off bad habits before they even start
you sound like a retard. Why don't you frame an ulcer picture and put in your dining room wall ... put it in fast food restaurant..what a genius :s

you are probably a 3rd year medical student right now or a retarded nurse... i will give you the benefit of the doubt and go with 3rd year med student... you will learn buddy not to talk about crap and worse give advice to people in bulletin boards.

Please don't come back with something like I am the director of surgery at this university....that would actually shut me up..haha ... but then I can't really know if you are lying or not.
Old April 2, 2012, 05:08 PM
Cricket Legend

i am a little sad mar umpire didnt reply to me. dude, i was just trolling with you. i respect your enthusiasm to be educated and to educate. not everyone is made out to do this. but i think you are. now whether you are a student doc, a training doc or physican or anyone - you enghusiasm inspires me and makes me wish that i should be more like you - get excited about cases.
Old April 2, 2012, 07:03 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Saudi Capital

^ There's always the PM, and I'm not talking about our prime minister.
Old April 3, 2012, 02:31 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
you sound like a retard. Why don't you frame an ulcer picture and put in your dining room wall ... put it in fast food restaurant..what a genius :s

you are probably a 3rd year medical student right now or a retarded nurse... i will give you the benefit of the doubt and go with 3rd year med student... you will learn buddy not to talk about crap and worse give advice to people in bulletin boards.

Please don't come back with something like I am the director of surgery at this university....that would actually shut me up..haha ... but then I can't really know if you are lying or not.
lol, thanks for the benefit of doubt. I wish I was the director

I just saw the response now, which is why i didn't reply until now (sorry again for stating the obvious, it's a bad habit I have).

i'm still a student(almost at the end but I actually at a stage wanted to pursue maths), i wanted to frame the ulcer but my family wouldn't have it, doesn't go well with dim bhaji and bhaat (if you look at the yellowy edges of the ulcer it kind of looks like it, except without the possible exudate that comes with infection). So I put up a framed picture of a.... never mind.

I thought this thread wanted advice on addiction/quitting

my poor computing skills meant that the ulcers didn't come up. It is stuffed up but I thought it'd be more stufed up for someone to start after they saw the dodgy pics
Old April 3, 2012, 02:05 PM

Favorite Player: Shakib, Nasir, Sir Don

Your granddads appear to be the outliers. I wouldn't mind living that long if I can stay healthy. Smokers seldom live that long and their last days tend to be horrible if they catch lung-cancer or emphysema.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MohammedC
hmm

My grandad (my dad's dad) smoked cigarette till he died age about 90. I wonder how many cartons he smoked in his lifetime and how long he would have lived ?

Oh I forgot to mention about my other grandad (mum's dad) he was smoker also. He has given up. He is still alive 101 not out. Alhamdulillah
Old April 3, 2012, 06:16 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
i'm still a student(almost at the end but I actually at a stage wanted to pursue maths),
you are a medical student that wanna do math or just a student who wants to pursue math? And since when math students go around hospitals?

If not a medical student I am somewhat impressed - I mean most of what you wrote sounds retarded when I read it but that may not be the case for others.

Only one sentence of your - smoking being preventive for Ulcerative colitis - since u knew this, it made me give u the benefit of the doubt..

Your other atlami on foot lesions are just atlami - nothing else... lol. Don't mind.