facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

 
 


Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old April 1, 2012, 02:19 PM
Roey Haque's Avatar
Roey Haque Roey Haque is offline
Test Cricketer
 
Join Date: March 26, 2012
Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hassan
Posts: 1,778
Default Bengali Nationalism. Where do you stand?

Ayo,
What's kicking Tiger fans worldwide?

I thought it would be interesting to know all your viewpoints on Bengali nationalism. As an avid lover of history, I'm always correcting revisionists on the net who claim that we simply seceded from Pakistan with the help of India, and that there was no prior age long discrimination inflicted upon us. I feel it is a duty of mine to do so to being a full blooded Bengali.

And worse still, these ignorant people with driven agendas always make it a point to stress that us and the Pakistanis are Muslim brothers, and how the Hindus created a rift between us. Non sense! It isn't even a question about religion, I will take a bullet for a Bengali whether he's Muslim, Hindu, Buddhist, Jew or even athiest. And fact of the matter is, brothers don't inflict genocide upon one another like what the Pak army did to us starting with "operation searchlight."

Which brings me to the point, I always envisioned an united Bengal, with west bengal and Bangladesh together. It would be beautiful. Our cricketing team might've improved slightly, and without doubt we would have an excellent soccer team as west bengal is one power hubs of Asian soccer.

What are your views? Discuss in details. I've scrounged through these forums recently, and the folks seem very intelligent and it is not beyond you to engage in such ideological concepts.

Peace out,

Roey
__________________
His excellency, Shere Bangla, descendent of Tipu Sultan, the Uniter of the Two Bengals, the Wily Bengali, the prince of all things cool, I present you Roey Haque the 1st.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old April 1, 2012, 05:06 PM
bujhee kom's Avatar
bujhee kom bujhee kom is offline
Cricket Sage
 
Join Date: June 27, 2007
Location: Dhaka Mental Hospital
Favorite Player: Mo Chow = Chow Mo
Posts: 21,349

Aiyo Roey dada!! Kicking the can bahiyo Roey!!@!

I am right there with you! Eastside West side, epar Bangla Opar Bangla, amra shobai Bangali Kobi aar Maajhi aar Kreeshok! SHobar Upor Bangla Maa Shotto Tahar Uporey nai!

Peace Out!!

BK
__________________
Mama, the Chudurbhudur will continue till kingdom come!!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old April 1, 2012, 05:21 PM
Navo's Avatar
Navo Navo is offline
Moderator
BC Editorial Team
 
Join Date: April 3, 2011
Location: Dhaka
Favorite Player: Shakib, M. Waugh, Bevan
Posts: 3,441

Roey, do you live in Bangladesh or elsewhere? There has been a lot of discussion on this topic in the Forget Cricket section and I'd recommend going through some of the older threads. I'd particularly recommend getting hold of some of the books and articles mentioned. Here are a few of the more recent ones to get you going:-

'Hasina and Khaleda': http://www.banglacricket.com/alochon...ad.php?t=40535

'Your thoughts about Young Politicians/Leaders of Bangladesh': http://www.banglacricket.com/alochon...ad.php?t=39897

'Where are we after 40 years? What can we do to make it better?': http://www.banglacricket.com/alochon...ad.php?t=39514

Part of my uni dissertation was on this topic, so I can recommend a few more books and articles if you're really interested. PM me if so.
__________________
thebarnecessities.wordpress.com
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old April 1, 2012, 05:33 PM
Zunaid Zunaid is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: January 22, 2004
Posts: 21,584

Ah yes. Every Bangladesh crntric Internet forum goes through multiple iterations on discussions on Pan Bengali Lebensraum and rehashing the what ifs of the proposed Bangistan. Go do a gander on the first Bangladesh forum from the usenet era soc.culture.bangladesh now under the loving care of Google groups.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old April 1, 2012, 05:56 PM
Roey Haque's Avatar
Roey Haque Roey Haque is offline
Test Cricketer
 
Join Date: March 26, 2012
Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hassan
Posts: 1,778

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunaid
Ah yes. Every Bangladesh crntric Internet forum goes through multiple iterations on discussions on Pan Bengali Lebensraum and rehashing the what ifs of the proposed Bangistan. Go do a gander on the first Bangladesh forum from the usenet era soc.culture.bangladesh now under the loving care of Google groups.
I wish I had that much patience to go through them! LOL. This was just my way of letting this forum know where I stand.

Peace out,

Roey
__________________
His excellency, Shere Bangla, descendent of Tipu Sultan, the Uniter of the Two Bengals, the Wily Bengali, the prince of all things cool, I present you Roey Haque the 1st.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old April 1, 2012, 06:05 PM
Roey Haque's Avatar
Roey Haque Roey Haque is offline
Test Cricketer
 
Join Date: March 26, 2012
Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hassan
Posts: 1,778

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navo
Roey, do you live in Bangladesh or elsewhere? There has been a lot of discussion on this topic in the Forget Cricket section and I'd recommend going through some of the older threads. I'd particularly recommend getting hold of some of the books and articles mentioned. Here are a few of the more recent ones to get you going:-

'Hasina and Khaleda': http://www.banglacricket.com/alochon...ad.php?t=40535

'Your thoughts about Young Politicians/Leaders of Bangladesh': http://www.banglacricket.com/alochon...ad.php?t=39897

'Where are we after 40 years? What can we do to make it better?': http://www.banglacricket.com/alochon...ad.php?t=39514

Part of my uni dissertation was on this topic, so I can recommend a few more books and articles if you're really interested. PM me if so.
Thanks for the links, but these topics are generally more wide spanned. Don't believe I have the patience to read them. I'm not talking leaders here, nor politicians today, nor proposed solutions to nation building. I'm just letting people know my standing ground on Bengali nationalism.

Your thesis was on Bengali nationalism, that's cool. Did you make any historical references beginning from Raja Ram Mohan Roy? That type of shyt interests me.

Peace out,

Roey
__________________
His excellency, Shere Bangla, descendent of Tipu Sultan, the Uniter of the Two Bengals, the Wily Bengali, the prince of all things cool, I present you Roey Haque the 1st.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old April 1, 2012, 06:11 PM
Zunaid Zunaid is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: January 22, 2004
Posts: 21,584

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roey Haque
I wish I had that much patience to go through them! LOL. This was just my way of letting this forum know where I stand.

Peace out,

Roey
So would you have the patience to read others' response in this thread? Or are you doing the net equivalent of walking around with the streets with a sandwich board? Not conducive to a discussion in a discussion thread, no?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old April 1, 2012, 06:57 PM
Shehwar's Avatar
Shehwar Shehwar is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: June 5, 2004
Location: England
Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan
Posts: 5,881

Bangladeshi! That's where I stand. And I couldn't care less about Calcutta (Just because most are Bengali) or Pakistan (Just because most are Muslims)! No offence intended in any shape or form ofcourse. For me it's about Bangladesh and Bangladeshis.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old April 1, 2012, 07:06 PM
Roey Haque's Avatar
Roey Haque Roey Haque is offline
Test Cricketer
 
Join Date: March 26, 2012
Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hassan
Posts: 1,778

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunaid
Or are you doing the net equivalent of walking around with the streets with a sandwich board?
Couldn't have said it better myself. Yes I am doing just that. It's much easier this way since delving in too deep into those discussions would mean encountering lots of unwanted subjects themes, topics and rants. This is more direct. Just carving out a niche involving just revisionism bashing and an United Bengal. Absolutely nothing more!

Peace out,

Roey
__________________
His excellency, Shere Bangla, descendent of Tipu Sultan, the Uniter of the Two Bengals, the Wily Bengali, the prince of all things cool, I present you Roey Haque the 1st.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old April 1, 2012, 07:09 PM
Navo's Avatar
Navo Navo is offline
Moderator
BC Editorial Team
 
Join Date: April 3, 2011
Location: Dhaka
Favorite Player: Shakib, M. Waugh, Bevan
Posts: 3,441

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roey Haque
What are your views? Discuss in details. I've scrounged through these forums recently, and the folks seem very intelligent and it is not beyond you to engage in such ideological concepts.
Slightly pointless to say this then, isn't it?
__________________
thebarnecessities.wordpress.com
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old April 1, 2012, 11:19 PM
Roey Haque's Avatar
Roey Haque Roey Haque is offline
Test Cricketer
 
Join Date: March 26, 2012
Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hassan
Posts: 1,778

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navo
Slightly pointless to say this then, isn't it?
Yeah, my bad. I guess I took protective measures to get people pumped, but wasn't really necessary as I was just looking for one liners, just one's opinion of the matter.

Great to see you do your job as a moderator. Digging this hardball style.

Peace out,

Roey
__________________
His excellency, Shere Bangla, descendent of Tipu Sultan, the Uniter of the Two Bengals, the Wily Bengali, the prince of all things cool, I present you Roey Haque the 1st.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old April 1, 2012, 11:22 PM
Roey Haque's Avatar
Roey Haque Roey Haque is offline
Test Cricketer
 
Join Date: March 26, 2012
Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hassan
Posts: 1,778
Default @ shehwar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shehwar
Bangladeshi! That's where I stand. And I couldn't care less about Calcutta (Just because most are Bengali) or Pakistan (Just because most are Muslims)! No offence intended in any shape or form ofcourse. For me it's about Bangladesh and Bangladeshis.
Hmmm, sweet perspective! I really didn't consider it that way. I guess I just have a strong bonding with Calcutta, having been there many times as well as having an aunt from there.

Peace out,

Roey
__________________
His excellency, Shere Bangla, descendent of Tipu Sultan, the Uniter of the Two Bengals, the Wily Bengali, the prince of all things cool, I present you Roey Haque the 1st.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old April 2, 2012, 05:03 AM
Purbasha T Purbasha T is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: November 26, 2008
Location: London
Favorite Player: Saudi Capital
Posts: 6,983

Well, I'm a bit hesitant on emphasising too much on one's nationality, something I had no control over. So yes we used to be part of the greater India, a name we had back then as much right to as say people from Gujrat, or Tamilnadu. Then, we were the East Pakistanis. Fair enough, there was a division based on religion (although a better factor could've been used). But then we had serious problems with our fellow ''countrymen'' from the West, so got rid of them (with some help from our neighbours, who used to be our countrymen not so long ago).

So every label was right at that situation, and so is 'Bangladesh/Bangladeshi' atm. And that's where it ends.

But it indeed would've been nice to have a United Bengal, sounds sikk

On an off note: ...but why peacing in and out all the time? You're here to stay aren't you?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old April 2, 2012, 08:42 AM
mufi_02's Avatar
mufi_02 mufi_02 is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: August 2, 2011
Location: NY
Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib
Posts: 4,121

Combining two Bengals and creating a singular identity would be tough now. I am not sure, but I think the first Bengal partition was during the 1930s. Then more division followed in 47 and 71. I think the two regions have drifted a lot from each other. The West Bengalis are proud Indians now as we East Bengalis are proud Bangladeshis. I think more cooperation in terms of trade and cultural bond is necessary but unfortunately reunification is quite unrealistic. It will be interesting to look at the Korea model too. I heard South Korea had an official government cabinet called "reunification of korea" but not too sure.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old April 2, 2012, 09:35 AM
Purbasha T Purbasha T is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: November 26, 2008
Location: London
Favorite Player: Saudi Capital
Posts: 6,983

^ বঙ্গ ভঙ্গ first happened in 1905, but then was withdrawn in 1911.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old April 2, 2012, 09:37 AM
mufi_02's Avatar
mufi_02 mufi_02 is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: August 2, 2011
Location: NY
Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib
Posts: 4,121

Yes you are right. First one was in 1905 and second one in 1947.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old April 2, 2012, 10:11 AM
Roey Haque's Avatar
Roey Haque Roey Haque is offline
Test Cricketer
 
Join Date: March 26, 2012
Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hassan
Posts: 1,778
Default @ purbasha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purbasha T
On an off note: ...but why peacing in and out all the time? You're here to stay aren't you?
Who knows what may happen? Call it my version of "khoda hafez" if you will.
And yeah, I do see your point about being separated so many times but I'm glad that you realize how cool an United Bengal would be. Another advantage I just thought of right now is that we would have full authority over a holistic Sunderban Forest, which is shared between West Bengal and Bangladesh at the moment.

Peace out,

Roey
__________________
His excellency, Shere Bangla, descendent of Tipu Sultan, the Uniter of the Two Bengals, the Wily Bengali, the prince of all things cool, I present you Roey Haque the 1st.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old April 2, 2012, 10:30 AM
mufi_02's Avatar
mufi_02 mufi_02 is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: August 2, 2011
Location: NY
Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib
Posts: 4,121

Ayo Roey,

Its been almost 100 years that the Bengals have been separated. Since then, the two regions have both evolved in their own ways. Yes we will be strong if we are united. Same thing can be said of the whole undivided India. Imagine India, Pak, Bangladesh being one nation. This would be an economic powerhouse, cultural mecca, and an example of diversity. But look at the negatives also. There would be too much riot and communal fighting and less stability.

Same thing with two Bengals. Surely there are positives but I think the negatives outweighs them. The common people on both side of the border are happy with the way things are. Nowadays we only get along culturally but unfortunately socially you won't see much love and yearning for the other Bengal in the street of Dhaka or anywhere in Bangladesh. I don't how that situation is in West Bengal.

Peace out
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old April 2, 2012, 02:14 PM
Roey Haque's Avatar
Roey Haque Roey Haque is offline
Test Cricketer
 
Join Date: March 26, 2012
Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hassan
Posts: 1,778

Quote:
Originally Posted by mufi_02
Ayo Roey,

Its been almost 100 years that the Bengals have been separated. Since then, the two regions have both evolved in their own ways. Yes we will be strong if we are united. Same thing can be said of the whole undivided India. Imagine India, Pak, Bangladesh being one nation. This would be an economic powerhouse, cultural mecca, and an example of diversity. But look at the negatives also. There would be too much riot and communal fighting and less stability.

Same thing with two Bengals. Surely there are positives but I think the negatives outweighs them. The common people on both side of the border are happy with the way things are. Nowadays we only get along culturally but unfortunately socially you won't see much love and yearning for the other Bengal in the street of Dhaka or anywhere in Bangladesh. I don't how that situation is in West Bengal.

Peace out
Yeah, Mufi. The difference here is that you are being a realist, and I'm being a dreamer. And of course I have contemplated an undivided Indian Subcontinent. That would be amazing.
And again, it's true that general consensus in Bd is not one of brotherly love to West Bengal. But you do get where I'm coming from right? The possibilities would have been endless, think about how we could claim Satyajit Ray as our own national, or the guy who founded Bose. It's like a steroid for increasing your pride, when you pool all Bengies together.

PO

Roey
__________________
His excellency, Shere Bangla, descendent of Tipu Sultan, the Uniter of the Two Bengals, the Wily Bengali, the prince of all things cool, I present you Roey Haque the 1st.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old April 2, 2012, 02:44 PM
Equinox Equinox is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: May 25, 2009
Posts: 7,638

Well the way the demographics are changing in WB a united Bengal might not be a dream afterall

But for now, I echo the sentiments above and consider myself a Bangladeshi nationalist to an extent.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old April 2, 2012, 02:54 PM
mufi_02's Avatar
mufi_02 mufi_02 is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: August 2, 2011
Location: NY
Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib
Posts: 4,121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roey Haque
Yeah, Mufi. The difference here is that you are being a realist, and I'm being a dreamer. And of course I have contemplated an undivided Indian Subcontinent. That would be amazing.
And again, it's true that general consensus in Bd is not one of brotherly love to West Bengal. But you do get where I'm coming from right? The possibilities would have been endless, think about how we could claim Satyajit Ray as our own national, or the guy who founded Bose. It's like a steroid for increasing your pride, when you pool all Bengies together.

PO

Roey
Yeah I understand your sentiment. But honestly, I am a proud Bangladeshi now and am happy with my fellow Bengies .

By the way, we can claim Satyajit Ray as ours. His grandfather, Upendrakishore Ray, was born in Mymensingh district.

Jyoti Basu, Amartya Sen, SD Burman, Sunil Gangopaddhay, Mithun Chakorbothy (Disco dancer) and countless others were all born in present day Bangladesh.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old April 2, 2012, 02:58 PM
Navo's Avatar
Navo Navo is offline
Moderator
BC Editorial Team
 
Join Date: April 3, 2011
Location: Dhaka
Favorite Player: Shakib, M. Waugh, Bevan
Posts: 3,441

Roey, it is possible for multiple countries to have 'a claim' over great personalities of the past. Rumi for instance is claimed by several countries.

In the case of Bangladesh, where many of our grandparents were citizens of three different countries during their lifetime, it is even more understandable that we would claim as our own those people who have a significant attachment to our region, regardless of their current national affiliation. The Tagore's had significant land holdings in what is now Bangladesh and so did the Rays. In fact, I know that members of Satyajit Ray's family still visit their ancestral home near Kishoreganj and that festivals commemorating his work are still held there often. The same goes for Amartya Sen, Satyendra Nath Bose, etc.
__________________
thebarnecessities.wordpress.com
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old April 2, 2012, 03:38 PM
Roey Haque's Avatar
Roey Haque Roey Haque is offline
Test Cricketer
 
Join Date: March 26, 2012
Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hassan
Posts: 1,778

Quote:
Originally Posted by mufi_02
By the way, we can claim Satyajit Ray as ours. His grandfather, Upendrakishore Ray, was born in Mymensingh district.
Great info! See, this is why I started this thread. Glad I learned something.

PO

Roey
__________________
His excellency, Shere Bangla, descendent of Tipu Sultan, the Uniter of the Two Bengals, the Wily Bengali, the prince of all things cool, I present you Roey Haque the 1st.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old April 4, 2012, 12:26 AM
Zeeshan's Avatar
Zeeshan Zeeshan is offline
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team
 
Join Date: March 9, 2008
Location: Ω
Posts: 24,932

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roey Haque
Peace out,

Roey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roey Haque
Peace out,

Roey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roey Haque
Peace out,

Roey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roey Haque

PO

Roey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roey Haque

PO

Roey
Shesher dike dom furiye gelo mone hoy dada....peace out likhlen na?
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old April 4, 2012, 12:44 AM
bujhee kom's Avatar
bujhee kom bujhee kom is offline
Cricket Sage
 
Join Date: June 27, 2007
Location: Dhaka Mental Hospital
Favorite Player: Mo Chow = Chow Mo
Posts: 21,349

What is a Willy Bengali?
__________________
Mama, the Chudurbhudur will continue till kingdom come!!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
BanglaCricket.com
 

About Us | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Partner Sites | Useful Links | Banners |

© BanglaCricket