facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old April 10, 2012, 03:13 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hassan
Default Detective Stories. Favorites.

I would say I'm a big fan of crime novels, having read the whole Jeffery Archer and John Grisham collection. However, narrowing it down further, I just love the detective genre. My three favorite fictional detectives would be Agatha Christie's Poirot, Doyle's Sherlock Holmes and Satyajit Ray's Feluda.

I very much doubt if any other detective characters even come close to these three guys. Just reread Ray's "The Royal Bengal Mystery" tonight, as I had forgotten the plot.

Any of y'all into the detective genre? Being a Bengali, it's imperative that you check out the Feluda stories if you haven't done so already. I would recommend "Trouble in Gangtok" for first time Feluda readers. An excellent read.

Peace out,

Roey
Old April 10, 2012, 04:49 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Saudi Capital

Tin Goyenda (Bengali remake of the Three Investigators)

Old April 10, 2012, 08:20 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Shakib, Mashrafe

Apart from Tin Goyenda, my childhood favorite detective story is Kakababu by Sunil Gangopadhaye.

Here are few books:

Old April 10, 2012, 10:38 AM
BC Staff
BC Bangladesh

Favorite Player: Gilly

i loved kakababu in my childhood

Feluda is still going strong..kakababu akhon porle aktu bacha bacha lage but feluda akhono bhalo lage
Old April 10, 2012, 11:16 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shak,TI,Mash,Mushy,Dravid

Holmes, Feluda, Poirot, Nancy Drew, Tin Goyenda, Kakababu, Arjun all were my favorites !!!

If I have to select the best character I would go for Poirot and then Feluda.. To me the best writer of detective stories is Agatha Cristie !!!
Old April 10, 2012, 11:20 AM
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Shakib, M. Waugh, Bevan

Holmes. Abba bought me the entire Holmes anthology when I was in school and I gobbled it up. I even liked the spin-off book: "The Mandala of Sherlock Holmes", where Sherlock Holmes has a Bengali sidekick haha. Didn't like the Holmes movies though and even more so detested the Holmes museum in Baker Street. Seriously tacky.

Does Famous Five & Tintin count as detective stories? They usually solved some sort of mystery. I still read Tintin to this day.
Old April 10, 2012, 11:40 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shak,TI,Mash,Mushy,Dravid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navo
Holmes. Abba bought me the entire Holmes anthology when I was in school and I gobbled it up. I even liked the spin-off book: "The Mandala of Sherlock Holmes", where Sherlock Holmes has a Bengali sidekick haha. Didn't like the Holmes movies though and even more so detested the Holmes museum in Baker Street. Seriously tacky.

Does Famous Five & Tintin count as detective stories? They usually solved some sort of mystery. I still read Tintin to this day.
Have you seen the Holmes TV series?? That one is really good. Yeah I didn't like the movie as well. I've visited the museum too.. It was ok but the souvenirs were so damn expensive

I remember those days when I would read those detective stories hiding it inside my textbook as I couldn't wait to know what happened next.. raater por raat jege boi pore shesh korechhi.. kottobar je abbu boi chhire felechhe tao akorshon komto na.... pore abbu e abar kine dito ..
Old April 10, 2012, 11:50 AM
BC Editorial Team

haha! I suppose the story is the same for every kid growing up. I did really like the modern remake, BBC's Sherlock. Very deft use of technology, Moriarty was over the top insane and Cumberbatch reflected Sherlock's cold nature really well. Found it funny how they replaced Sherlock's opium/morphine use with nicotine patches haha. Shame that they only have 3 episodes a season though!

I really recommend the Mandala of Sherlock Holmes as it's about his adventures in India and Tibet (which he mentions once in the original books) He has a side kick named Huree Chunder Mukherjee, who also appears in Rudyard Kipling's Kim.
Old April 10, 2012, 12:25 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Tam,Sak,Nasa,Mash

Shanti bhai dekhi ektar por ekta thread khulche
Zeeshan bhai ke topkabe mone hoy.
Nice thread,
I like tin goyenda.
otherwise I'm not a regular lecteur, or may be I'm not getting enough interesting books around me.
Old April 10, 2012, 12:52 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oronnya
To me the best writer of detective stories is Agatha Cristie !!!
I'm with you! Right on!

PO

Roey
Old April 10, 2012, 12:54 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon
Shanti bhai dekhi ektar por ekta thread khulche
Shanti Bhai? Is it because I say "peace out"? In any case, it sounds like one of those godfather names. Kala Jahangir, picchi Hannan, that sort of stuff. I don't approve!

PO

Roey
Old April 10, 2012, 12:57 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
No Tintin would be classified as adventure. I absolutely love Tintin! Maybe I'm gonna have to open a separate thread just for Tintin.

PO

Roey
Old April 10, 2012, 01:02 PM
BC Editorial Team

Have any of you read Edgar Allan Poe's detective-fiction? Short stories like The Murders in the Rue Morgue (1841), The Purloined Letter (1844) etc? His character Dupin is like the grandfather of characters like Holmes and Poirot.
Old April 10, 2012, 01:07 PM
BC Editorial Team

Oh, and Roey, do open a Tintin thread but don't copy paste the comic strips directly. The current copyright holders of the Tintin brand are notorious litigants.
Old April 10, 2012, 01:12 PM
BC Staff
BC Bangladesh

Favorite Player: Gilly

Quote:
Oh, and Roey, do open a Tintin thread but don't copy paste the comic strips directly. The current copyright holders of the Tintin brand are notorious litigants.
tintin is one of my fevs..i have all the tintin volumes in my com..even the unfinished last one
Old April 10, 2012, 01:17 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib

How about chacha chowdhury? He used to solve crime too. Ar sabu khepe gele toh agneyogiri hoye jeto.
Old April 10, 2012, 01:40 PM

Favorite Player: Shakib, Nasir, Sir Don

I am mystery/thriller buff. My favorites include:
  1. The Adventure of the Red-Headed League
  2. বাদশাহী আংটি
  3. Murder on the Orient Express
  4. শজারুর কাঁটা
  5. And then there were none
  6. The murder of Roger Ackroyd
Old April 10, 2012, 02:15 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Have any of you read Edgar Allan Poe's detective-fiction? Short stories like The Murders in the Rue Morgue (1841), The Purloined Letter (1844) etc? His character Dupin is like the grandfather of characters like Holmes and Poirot.
Of course. Poe basically invented the detective genre. However his best stories have turned out to be the macabre ones, like "The Tell Tale Heart" and "The black cat". Their fame has eclipsed classics such as "the murders in the rue morgue" and "the purloined letter".

PO

Roey
Old April 10, 2012, 02:17 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Alright. Thanks for the heads up.

They might be notorious litigants but possess little control over their stuff, LOL. I say this because every Tintin album is readily available for download on the internet under PDF files.

PO

Roey
Old April 10, 2012, 02:48 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Tam,Sak,Nasa,Mash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roey Haque
Shanti Bhai? Is it because I say "peace out"? In any case, it sounds like one of those godfather names. Kala Jahangir, picchi Hannan, that sort of stuff. I don't approve!

PO

Roey
ok I call u PO bro, approuvé?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mufi_02
How about chacha chowdhury? He used to solve crime too. Ar sabu khepe gele toh agneyogiri hoye jeto.
remember Raka?
god knows how many times I drew Shabu and his muscular body.