facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

 
 


Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old April 29, 2012, 10:07 PM
Navo's Avatar
Navo Navo is offline
Moderator
BC Editorial Team
 
Join Date: April 3, 2011
Location: Dhaka
Favorite Player: Shakib, M. Waugh, Bevan
Posts: 3,542

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonglababu
Which country was previously called Helvetia
Which city was previously called New Amstardam?
Switzerland
New York
__________________
thebarnecessities.wordpress.com
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old April 29, 2012, 10:08 PM
Bonglababu's Avatar
Bonglababu Bonglababu is offline
ODI Cricketer
 
Join Date: March 7, 2011
Posts: 710

perfect
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navo
Switzerland
New York
__________________
Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. - Winston Churchill
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old April 29, 2012, 10:10 PM
Navo's Avatar
Navo Navo is offline
Moderator
BC Editorial Team
 
Join Date: April 3, 2011
Location: Dhaka
Favorite Player: Shakib, M. Waugh, Bevan
Posts: 3,542

Given the BD match drought in the coming months, it might be fun to organize some sort of BC pub quiz with trivia on all sorts of topics (not just cricket and geography haha).
__________________
thebarnecessities.wordpress.com
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old April 29, 2012, 10:15 PM
oronnya oronnya is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: October 19, 2011
Favorite Player: Shak,TI,Mash,Mushy,Dravid
Posts: 3,751

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonglababu
Which country was previously called Helvetia
Which city was previously called New Amstardam?
Isn't that the easiest one - Switzerland (still remember our funny research when Helvetia the fast food store first opened in Dhaka .. we used to pronounced it as it is spelled.. then came to know about the correct pronunciation )

New York
__________________
"Shakib Al Hasan to Azhar Ali, OUT, a beauty from the Bangladeshi Superman! Shakib gets the runs, Shakib gets the wickets. " CI
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old April 29, 2012, 10:22 PM
Navo's Avatar
Navo Navo is offline
Moderator
BC Editorial Team
 
Join Date: April 3, 2011
Location: Dhaka
Favorite Player: Shakib, M. Waugh, Bevan
Posts: 3,542

Which country used to be New Grenada?
__________________
thebarnecessities.wordpress.com
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old April 29, 2012, 10:26 PM
Bonglababu's Avatar
Bonglababu Bonglababu is offline
ODI Cricketer
 
Join Date: March 7, 2011
Posts: 710

Is it Australia?
__________________
Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. - Winston Churchill
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old April 29, 2012, 10:27 PM
Zunaid Zunaid is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: January 22, 2004
Posts: 21,739

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navo
Which country used to be New Grenada?
Should not that be 'countries'?
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old April 29, 2012, 10:27 PM
oronnya oronnya is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: October 19, 2011
Favorite Player: Shak,TI,Mash,Mushy,Dravid
Posts: 3,751

ok an easy one.. 2nd smallest and the 2nd biggest country of the world
__________________
"Shakib Al Hasan to Azhar Ali, OUT, a beauty from the Bangladeshi Superman! Shakib gets the runs, Shakib gets the wickets. " CI
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old April 29, 2012, 10:28 PM
tonoy's Avatar
tonoy tonoy is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: February 25, 2007
Location: Canada
Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan
Posts: 7,663

vatican city? and Canada.
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old April 29, 2012, 10:30 PM
oronnya oronnya is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: October 19, 2011
Favorite Player: Shak,TI,Mash,Mushy,Dravid
Posts: 3,751

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonoy
vatican city? and Canada.
nope, Vatican city is the smallest

You got Canada right
__________________
"Shakib Al Hasan to Azhar Ali, OUT, a beauty from the Bangladeshi Superman! Shakib gets the runs, Shakib gets the wickets. " CI
Reply With Quote
  #61  
Old April 29, 2012, 10:36 PM
Ajfar's Avatar
Ajfar Ajfar is offline
Cricket Sage
 
Join Date: February 27, 2006
Location: Connecticut
Favorite Player: Nirala
Posts: 17,347

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navo
Given the BD match drought in the coming months, it might be fun to organize some sort of BC pub quiz with trivia on all sorts of topics (not just cricket and geography haha).
Few year ago Noc bhai open a BC quiz thread with questions about the members. It was a super hit thread. You should check it out.
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old April 29, 2012, 10:37 PM
tonoy's Avatar
tonoy tonoy is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: February 25, 2007
Location: Canada
Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan
Posts: 7,663

OK my turn. Where did Magellan die(Name of that Country)? Where did he stop before going to that country(It's a chain of Islands, bonus if you can name those Islands)?
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old April 29, 2012, 10:40 PM
Zunaid Zunaid is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: January 22, 2004
Posts: 21,739

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonoy
OK my turn. Where did Magellan die(Name of that Country)? Where did he stop before going to that country(It's a chain of Islands, bonus if you can name those Islands)?
Philippines. He was injured by a spear and probably died of gangrene. I am guessing next - he was coming from Christmas Island or Australia.

For an additional point, where are the Straits named after him?
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old April 29, 2012, 10:43 PM
tonoy's Avatar
tonoy tonoy is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: February 25, 2007
Location: Canada
Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan
Posts: 7,663

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunaid
Philippines. He was injured by a spear and probably died of gangrene. I am guessing next - he was coming from Christmas Island or Australia.

For an additional point, where are the Straits named after him?
Phillipines is correct. But no he wasn't coming from christmas Island. He named those group of islands after the queen.

And you were referring to the strait of Magellan, located in Argentina or most Southern point South America.
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old April 29, 2012, 11:20 PM
Zeeshan's Avatar
Zeeshan Zeeshan is offline
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team
 
Join Date: March 9, 2008
Posts: 25,810

List countries named after people...
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old April 29, 2012, 11:28 PM
Zunaid Zunaid is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: January 22, 2004
Posts: 21,739

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeshan
List countries named after people...
Nice. Let's start from the Americas and will move West.

USA - Ameriggo Vespucci (cp?)
Bolivia - Simon Bolivar
Dominican Republic - St Dominic
Hmm .. All the St something Caribbean Islands
- St Kitt and Nevis
- Saint Lucia
- ?
Philippines - King Philip
Solomon Islands - King Solomon
Saudi Arabia - King Saud
Kazikastan
San Marino - which saint?
Probably bunches more.
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old April 29, 2012, 11:30 PM
Naimul_Hd's Avatar
Naimul_Hd Naimul_Hd is offline
Cricket Guru
 
Join Date: October 18, 2008
Location: Global City of Australia
Favorite Player: Shakib, Mashrafe
Posts: 13,383

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeshan
List countries named after people...
Columbus -> Columbia
George -> Georgia ?
Romania -> Roman ?

Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old April 29, 2012, 11:32 PM
Naimul_Hd's Avatar
Naimul_Hd Naimul_Hd is offline
Cricket Guru
 
Join Date: October 18, 2008
Location: Global City of Australia
Favorite Player: Shakib, Mashrafe
Posts: 13,383

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunaid
Nice. Let's start from the Americas and will move West.

USA - Ameriggo Vespucci (cp?)
Bolivia - Simon Bolivar
Dominican Republic - St Dominic
Hmm .. All the St something Caribbean Islands
- St Kitt and Nevis
- Saint Lucia
- ?
Philippines - King Philip
Solomon Islands - King Solomon
Saudi Arabia - King Saud
Kazikastan
San Marino - which saint?
Probably bunches more.
I dont believe you. Google has always been your friend, Khelum na ! Question korar sathe sathe ans kemne ready thake ?
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old April 29, 2012, 11:34 PM
Zeeshan's Avatar
Zeeshan Zeeshan is offline
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team
 
Join Date: March 9, 2008
Posts: 25,810

Yeah...kudos to Doc. But he missed a very easy, eponymous one...

hint: Cricket playing nation!
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old April 29, 2012, 11:38 PM
Zeeshan's Avatar
Zeeshan Zeeshan is offline
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team
 
Join Date: March 9, 2008
Posts: 25,810

Heck even this list doesn't have it.
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old April 29, 2012, 11:39 PM
Zunaid Zunaid is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: January 22, 2004
Posts: 21,739

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naimul_Hd
I dont believe you. Google has always been your friend, Khelum na ! Question korar sathe sathe ans kemne ready thake ?
I am a geo buff. Loved getting lost in in an atlas. Once, knew all the capitals, major cities, rivers, rulers of most countries. Getting slow in old age. But I still retain some of what I knew. It may all be back there but is getting harder and harder to retrieve. It is as if the index to my memory is corrupted and I have to rebuild the index over and over again.

Here's a true story. Once in class X, after a Geography test, the teacher accused me of tracing a map I drew. I told her, I can reproduce it right in front of her and she has to then admit in front of class what I did. I redrew the map and lo behold, she had to eat crow in front of class (to be fair to her, she did no accuse me in front everyone, but she should have known better).
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old April 29, 2012, 11:42 PM
Zunaid Zunaid is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: January 22, 2004
Posts: 21,739

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeshan
Heck even this list doesn't have it.
There are over 100 cricket playing nations. Let's limit it to the Test playing countries:

England
Australia
West Indies
New Zealand
India
Sri Lanka
Pakistan
Bangladesh
Zimbabwe

- Nope, none named after a person. People sure. Bangla desh. England.
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old April 29, 2012, 11:44 PM
Zeeshan's Avatar
Zeeshan Zeeshan is offline
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team
 
Join Date: March 9, 2008
Posts: 25,810

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunaid
I am a geo buff. Loved getting lost in in an atlas. Once, knew all the capitals, major cities, rivers, rulers of most countries. Getting slow in old age. But I still retain some of what I knew. It may all be back there but is getting harder and harder to retrieve. It is as if the index to my memory is corrupted and I have to rebuild the index over and over again.

Here's a true story. Once in class X, after a Geography test, the teacher accused me of tracing a map I drew. I told her, I can reproduce it right in front of her and she has to then admit in front of class what I did. I redrew the map and lo behold, she had to eat crow in front of class (to be fair to her, she did no accuse me in front everyone, but she should have known better).
:challange accepted: ^^^

In our US History class, teacher used to throw in blank maps of Europe, Africa, USA and have us memorize the names and then quiz us. I was so lazy that right before the test I'd study for 5 mins. with loci method mnemonic: chad, mali (as in Monsur our gardener), etc on map. Always aced them tests. And once our teacher was like: Next the country is Oman (must say it's a bit Rastafarian. LOL!)...

Anyone read Maphead by Ken Jennings? Waiting for reviews...
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old April 29, 2012, 11:46 PM
Zeeshan's Avatar
Zeeshan Zeeshan is offline
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team
 
Join Date: March 9, 2008
Posts: 25,810

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunaid
There are over 100 cricket playing nations. Let's limit it to the Test playing countries:

England
Australia
West Indies
New Zealand
India
Sri Lanka
Pakistan
Bangladesh
Zimbabwe

- Nope, none named after a person. People sure. Bangla desh. England.
FAIL!!!! HEHEHE

Jomo Kenyatta, hello?
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old April 29, 2012, 11:53 PM
Zunaid Zunaid is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: January 22, 2004
Posts: 21,739

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeshan
FAIL!!!! HEHEHE

Jomo Kenyatta, hello?
Not a Test Playing nation. Does not count. Plus Kenya was not named after Kenyatta. The similarity is clinkidink.

Now please take that foot out. It does not fit in your mouth.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
BanglaCricket.com
 

About Us | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Partner Sites | Useful Links | Banners |

© BanglaCricket