facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old April 24, 2015, 03:54 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Favorite Player: Innocent Bird
Default Bangladesh's coming of age?-S. Rajesh

Quote:
hese are clearly great times to be a Bangladesh fan. If the World Cup showed glimpses of the team coming together as a unit and performing close to their potential, then the ODI series against Pakistan took it several notches higher. Not only did Bangladesh clinch the series, they did so in style, winning by whopping margins of 79 runs, seven wickets (with 71 balls to spare) and eight wickets (with 63 balls to spare).
Full read here

Some good stats those who don't know. Look at the average and RR difference when we beat NZ 4-0 to 3-0 Pak
Old April 24, 2015, 04:59 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Jayasuria

How many times have Bangladesh been quoted as 'coming of age'?

There were many instances of this quote being applied-

Beating Australia in 2005
World cup wins vs India & SA in 2007
The Kiwi Banglawash of 2010
Asia cup runners up 2012
World cup quarter finalists 2015
Banglawash of Pakistan 2015

For me, Bangladseh came of age during the Asia cup of 2012. From that point, there was a continuation of good cricket being played from beating a strong Windies at home, drawing an ODI series and test v SL in SL, winning a test in Zimbabwe, Banglawashing the Kiwis again etc.

It then kind of fell apart vs SL in early 2014 where we lost a couple of times from dominating positions and that lead to a loss of confidence with such trend continuing resulting in a woeful slump.

I am talking in hindsight but if luck and results went our way in 2014, we wouldn't be having this discussion as we'd have continued that trend of becoming the 'relatively potent force' that we are now and therefore I still feel Asia Cup 2012 was Bangladesh's coming of age.
Old April 24, 2015, 05:17 AM
BC Staff
BC Bangladesh

Favorite Player: Mash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yameen
How many times have Bangladesh been quoted as 'coming of age'?

There were many instances of this quote being applied-

Beating Australia in 2005
World cup wins vs India & SA in 2007
The Kiwi Banglawash of 2010
Asia cup runners up 2012
World cup quarter finalists 2015
Banglawash of Pakistan 2015

For me, Bangladseh came of age during the Asia cup of 2012. From that point, there was a continuation of good cricket being played from beating a strong Windies at home, drawing an ODI series and test v SL in SL, winning a test in Zimbabwe, Banglawashing the Kiwis again etc.

It then kind of fell apart vs SL in early 2014 where we lost a couple of times from dominating positions and that lead to a loss of confidence with such trend continuing resulting in a woeful slump.

I am talking in hindsight but if luck and results went our way in 2014, we wouldn't be having this discussion as we'd have continued that trend of becoming the 'relatively potent force' that we are now and therefore I still feel Asia Cup 2012 was Bangladesh's coming of age.
Totally agree..2012 2013 was two great year..2014 sucked because we lost so many close games, if those ifs and but games in 2014 went our was 2014 would have been a different story
Old April 24, 2015, 05:25 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Tam,Sak,Nasa,Mash

we did what was expected, we managed to whitewash Zim, we beat a demoralized English team and we whitewashed a rebuilding Pak team( although I didn't expect a clean sweep before the series started).
BUT we have also lost to Srilanka, NZ & Ind , it looks like we are struggling to beat teams with superior batting line up.
So our main test (in odis) will be when India,Aus,SA will come.
I don't imagine a team like Ind or SA or Aus to be on 200/2 and then get all out for 250.
Old April 24, 2015, 05:58 AM
BC Staff
BC Bangladesh

Favorite Player: Mash

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon
BUT we have also lost to Srilanka, NZ & Ind , it looks like we are struggling to beat teams with superior batting line up.
we droped so many catches vs SL, Thiremane was droped for 0..he scored 60+..Sanga was droped for 15 and 47..he scored 100+..if we held onto those catches the match would have been lot closer, so i would say that was one bad day..we took it to NZ when other teams struggled..and well the less we talk about the India match the better(so many ifs and buts)
Old April 24, 2015, 06:22 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib, Amla

^Exactly. Also our losses against SL and Ind came at the MCG while chasing where winning the toss is considered crucial. Teams batting second lose more than 70% of the time. NZ match was winnable if Shak the captain didn't have a brain fart at the end of the game. Not to mention the bad luck we had with umpiring in the Ind match.

As Yameen said 2012 was our true coming of age year and I totally saw us winning lots of games in the near future, I just didn't see performances this dominant coming so soon. I recall 3 three wicket losses, couple of 15-20 run losses, couple of 40-50 run losses where we lost from dominant positions just because we couldn't finish off our opponents.

The manner in which we beat Pak I doubt any other team in the world can replicate that. India/Aus/SA will be very tough opponents, but if you're competing against them that means you're competing for the 3rd or 4th spot in world cricket. Here's what India did to a full strength SL team that included both Sanga and Jaya few months ago:

1st ODI: India v Sri Lanka at Cuttack - Nov 2, 2014
India 363/5 (50/50 ov); Sri Lanka 194 (39.2/50 ov)
India won by 169 runs

2nd ODI: India v Sri Lanka at Ahmedabad - Nov 6, 2014
Sri Lanka 274/8 (50/50 ov); India 275/4 (44.3/50 ov)
India won by 6 wickets (with 33 balls remaining)

3rd ODI: India v Sri Lanka at Hyderabad (Deccan) - Nov 9, 2014
Sri Lanka 242 (48.2/50 ov); India 245/4 (44.1/50 ov)
India won by 6 wickets (with 35 balls remaining)

4th ODI: India v Sri Lanka at Kolkata - Nov 13, 2014
India 404/5 (50/50 ov); Sri Lanka 251 (43.1/50 ov)
India won by 153 runs

5th ODI: India v Sri Lanka at Ranchi - Nov 16, 2014
Sri Lanka 286/8 (50/50 ov); India 288/7 (48.4/50 ov)
India won by 3 wickets (with 8 balls remaining)

http://www.espncricinfo.com/india-v-...es/790869.html
Old April 24, 2015, 07:59 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Dubya

F Him and his stats
12.6 Syed Rasel to Sangakkara, OUT: What a delivery, completely fooled Sangakkara, first five delivery were the outswingers and now, this one comes in sharply, Sangakkara tries to left it and ball hits the off stump, top class bowling!
Old April 24, 2015, 09:25 AM
ODI Cricketer

Bangladesh in WC against Test teams -
2007 played 7 win 2
2011 played 4 win 1
2015 played 4 win 1

Still I think team is playing better from 2012 Asia Cup. Loss against Indian and SL teams were disappointing. Win against SL in SL was good show.
Old April 24, 2015, 10:31 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Hashim Amla

What a sexy game this is by Bangladesh
ALhamdullilah!!!
Old April 24, 2015, 03:35 PM
BC Editorial Team

I'm with Cricman. S Rajesh remains a cockroach. I don't need him and his stats manipulations.
Old April 24, 2015, 03:36 PM
BC Editorial Team

If you all wonder why some of us older members are bitter, go dig up his article on why Sanath Jayasuria is a better SLA than Rafique. No seriously - go look it up. That guy singlehandedly let CricInfo to be thought of CricIndo for me.
Old April 25, 2015, 01:23 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazabQ
If you all wonder why some of us older members are bitter, go dig up his article on why Sanath Jayasuria is a better SLA than Rafique. No seriously - go look it up. That guy singlehandedly let CricInfo to be thought of CricIndo for me.
What's the problem really on this (if this is the article you intended).
http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine...ry/313686.html

And your comment -

Yup neel that's the one. How did you find it? I did a quick search and couldn't. Yes. I'd have liked to know why el-oilio aka Rajesh came up with a 25 wicket cut off? Moreover, a good cricket journalist should know that stats tell only part of the story. You take someone like Rafique and he rarely ever got to bowl in the 2nd innings. Yet do you see Rajesh accounting for anything? No. Everyone and their momma can load up some #s on Excel and divine conclusions. If you are going to be writing for a premium cricket web site, I hold you to a higher standard.

If we remove 25 wicket cut off, equation doesn't change. You may get a player or two up there but those two retain their comparison.

Why don't you compile a counter-statistics of 1st innings only and see what's in there? Even then there would be pitch factor, missed chances factor and many more. Statistics can never evaluate a player, but only can summarize the outcome. That's a fundamental built in issue with statistics. Why should we blame statistician for that?