facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old July 11, 2014, 02:54 AM
ODI Cricketer

Default Shakib and BCB

Sorry for another thread. Mods: Please feel free to merge. The following is the summary of the Shakib incident as we know now and my 2 satoshis.

The hurried injustice of BCB

The Bangladesh cricket board is still to clearly state the reasons of Shakib’s punishment. The BCB has banned Shakib in a unanimous decision from all forms of domestic cricket for six months, and will not issue any NOC to play in any foreign league like IPL or CPL until the end of 2015. He will also not be able to take part in any advertisement either. For a man who plays cricket to earn a living, this effectively means Sakib will not earn a dime beyond the 50 percent salary as a contracted player for a while. We are not even sure how long this contract is valid for and whether BCB has any intention of renewing the contract. So what were his crimes?

So far it seems that he has broken the code of conduct and team discipline in at least three occasions for which he has not been punished until now:

1. During the second match of the India series he allegedly went out of the dressing room without permission. Moreover, he left the dressing room to beat a couple of spectators who were “eve-teasing” his wife.
2. On July 3rd Shakib allegedly left to play for CPL without authorization.
3. He also had an alleged altercation with the coach when the coach refused to permit him to participate in the entire CPL. During the heated exchange he also allegedly threatened to quit playing for Bangladesh.

BCB President Papon in the media brief claimed that Shakib has been punished for his “severe attitude problem” and unspeakable “inhuman” acts. A BCB director and a former national player Khaled Mahmud Shujon claimed in a talk show that Shakib was not punished for leaving for CPL without NOC since he came back from London, en route to Barbadose, as soon as BCB asked him to come back to the country. BCB would have found it extremely difficult to justify the punishment for this since he left the country only after the verbal confirmation from BCB director and cricket operations manager Akram Khan; Akram was in Chittagong and assured Shakib that he will sign the NOC certificate the very next day when he was due to come back to Dhaka. At the eve of his departure when Sakib got in touch with the coach from the airport, the coach asked him to join the national team camp after 31st of July for the team’s Caribbean tour to be started from the mid-august. Turns out even BCB administration was not aware of the coach's plan. Sakib got upset and insisted that he wants to to take part in the entire CPL as per the promised NOC, and wanted to join the touring team in Caribbean. Things got heated and quickly escalated to the point that he threatened to quit the national team and to freelance for his livelihood. The coach has let the BCB know of the incident. Once back from London, Shakib apologized to the coach for his behavior.

On 22nd of July, well before the latest saga involving NOC, he already appeared in front of the BCB board to explain the "eve-teasing" incident involving his wife . Given that Shakib’s wife did not sit in the general gallery to watch the game, it is conceivable that the eve-teasers are financially, and by extension, most likely, socially well off to be able to afford tickets for seats in a VIP box. Social media sites are abuzz about the social and the political connections of the eve-teasers. Eve-teasing is a euphemism Bangladeshi news media uses to describe public sexual harassment or molestation of female. On hearing that his wife is being harassed, Shakib went to the BCB office in the Mirpur Stadium to complain; the BCB security officials arrested the miscreants and beat them before handing over to the police. Shakib has allegedly also joined in the beating and later, allegedly, refused to withdraw the case. Both BCB President Papon and a BCB director Sujon claimed this to be the biggest proof of Shakib’s "severe" attitude and disciplinary problems.

When asked to explain himself why he left the dressing room without permission in the midst of the game, Shakib reportedly claimed that he was not aware of the rule a player needs permission to leave the dressing room during a match. In a media interview he has acknowledged that he has broken the rule. The question remains where the team manager was during the incident. What has he done to protect Shakib’s family? It is interesting to note that Sujon was the acting manager of the team during this incident.

Perhaps the most telling of all of these is the way the governing body has gone about in punishing Shakib by a unanimous decision within thirty six hours of the NOC incident, without following any due process, before a proper hearing, and without any involvement of the disciplinary committee of the board. This was done only after the accuser and the "Chief Judge", the BCB President, publicly vilified him. Essentially this means, Shakib cannot even appeal to the BCB. He was accused by the board, judged by the board, and punished by the same board. Now if he wants, he can appeal to the same board for reconsideration. The process violates all modern senses of natural justice, violates BCB’s own constitution, and probably will not withstand in case of any legal challenge in the apex court of the country. This is beyond farce.

There were other issues: e.g. him changing the hotel room without permission, not picking up phone calls from the BCB officials, and etc. But we were never told how many days Shakib will be barred to play for each phone call from BCB officials he failed to pick up.

BCB also accused him of setting bad examples for the youngsters. I am not sure what sort of example BCB has set by failing to follow a fair process in punishing Shakib. In this regard it is also appropriate to remember that the bad example BCB has set by failing to make sure that cricketers get paid form the clubs for the failed attempts of the BPL. The board is also yet to take any responsibility for that debacle or to say who was punished for insulting the good name of the BCB or the country. One would not expect any less from the moral heavyweights of BCB.

Double speak, hypocrisy, and dual rules are the hall mark of this largely inept, unprofessional, and clearly childish body made of party hacks and irresponsible administrators. Talk about setting bad examples for the youngsters!

Last edited by mafizraju; July 11, 2014 at 08:46 PM..
Old July 11, 2014, 08:24 AM
Administrator

Extremely well articulated summary of the situation.
Old July 11, 2014, 09:07 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Add to that, it was an unanimous decision by the board members. Everyone of them wanted to punish Shakib. So none of them even thought to hear the other side of the story of the allegations?

I do not expect to have a fair hearing in my country. These are our leaders who would guide us to the promise land. Allah jokhon eder'kay dhorbey, kono nistar nai. Ja paren aesh koirey nen. Ar matro koi bosor. Surely (there is no doubt) we all will return to Him and He would decide who was right and who was wrong.

They are like all other criminals and hypocretes. They do not see any mistakes in their deeds. It is justifiable to them. Keep on justifying bro...
Old July 11, 2014, 11:20 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Looks like its petty politics due to the altercation with the youth that harassed his wife. I do think Shakib should have punished or at least warned for his foolishness, but this is definitely an excessive punishment. Unless of course there are undisclosed crimes committed that we don't know about.
Old July 11, 2014, 11:56 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Curtly Ambrose

who will be the next Victim after Shakib ???
Old July 11, 2014, 12:02 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Tam,Sak,Nasa,Mash

Quote:
Originally Posted by al-Sagar
who will be the next Victim after Shakib ???
no one, in BDesh you need to do something significant for your country to become a victim.
Old July 11, 2014, 04:12 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunaid
Extremely well articulated summary of the situation.
Thanks very much
Old July 11, 2014, 07:34 PM

Wonderfully written Razu bhai. Many thanks for writing and speaking up.
Old July 11, 2014, 07:35 PM

The article deserves a space in Front Page IMHO
Old July 11, 2014, 07:59 PM
First Class Cricketer

OP, what is the point of this thread ?
You don't mention anything about the politics behind the ban. You do not mention anything about who the guys were that Shakib beat up.
The article has a lot of holes!
Old July 11, 2014, 08:41 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Of those rare articles which got sticky that is not a MT or a FTP!

Congrats Mafizraju bhai, congrats!

Old July 11, 2014, 08:47 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeshan
Of those rare articles which got sticky that is not a MT or a FTP!

Congrats Mafizraju bhai, congrats!
Shakib deserves nothing less

kalpurush Bhai; Thanks
Old July 11, 2014, 08:59 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vua
OP, what is the point of this thread ?
You don't mention anything about the politics behind the ban. You do not mention anything about who the guys were that Shakib beat up.
The article has a lot of holes!
I agree that the article has a lot of holes. A serious piece of investigative journalism should not. Unfortunately, I have no access to the FIR. Hence I cannot name the person some news sites refer to. Sexual assault is a serious charge. I am not in favour of accusing someone of sexual harassment without evidence. If I did have access to the FIR, I would have no problem using the name. So if you have access to the FIR, and share it with me, I will have absolutely no problem in using the name.

Idealistically speaking, Shakib should have never been involve in the beating process. He is a human, so I understand.

My goal was to make a case for Shakib by exposing the weakest link.
Old July 11, 2014, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mafizraju

Idealistically speaking, Shakib should have never been involve in the beating process.

My goal was to make a case for Shakib by exposing the weakest link.
100% agree.

I know the legal system is not the best in Bangladesh while it comes to implementation, but still we should respect the law and act accordingly.
Old July 12, 2014, 12:30 AM
Club Cricketer

Shakib should go to the court if there is any violation of proper procedure. We can only speculate, because we do not know the complete information. And it is NOT BCB's duty to inform us everything either. The privacy of the accused must be maintained as well.

So, such articles including "seems", "likely", "may be" etc. do not have any practical value, except guiding people towards arbitrary and often wrong directions.
Old July 12, 2014, 12:37 AM
Club Cricketer

I just give one example of insufficient or wrong info:

"BCB would have found it extremely difficult to justify the punishment for this since he left the country only after the verbal confirmation from BCB director and cricket operations manager Akram Khan; Akram was in Chittagong and assured Shakib that he will sign the NOC certificate the very next day when he was due to come back to Dhaka."

Actually Akram is not entitled to sign the NOC. It is the duty of another Sujon (not Khaled Mahmud), and Akram as well as Shakib know that very well. Akram told that he does not have any problem; but Shakib must go through the usual procedure of collecting the NOC. Moreover, Shakib was directly asked on the 02. July by the board not to leave without the NOC. Then Shakib even tried to contact that Sujon for the NOC. He could not reach him, and left without the NOC. (Reference: Papon's statement after the ban, and Daily Star)

You can not summarize on an incident based on incomplete and wrong information.
Old July 12, 2014, 01:46 AM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankur86
I just give one example of insufficient or wrong info:

"BCB would have found it extremely difficult to justify the punishment for this since he left the country only after the verbal confirmation from BCB director and cricket operations manager Akram Khan; Akram was in Chittagong and assured Shakib that he will sign the NOC certificate the very next day when he was due to come back to Dhaka."

Actually Akram is not entitled to sign the NOC. It is the duty of another Sujon (not Khaled Mahmud), and Akram as well as Shakib know that very well. Akram told that he does not have any problem; but Shakib must go through the usual procedure of collecting the NOC. Moreover, Shakib was directly asked on the 02. July by the board not to leave without the NOC. Then Shakib even tried to contact that Sujon for the NOC. He could not reach him, and left without the NOC. (Reference: Papon's statement after the ban, and Daily Star)

You can not summarize on an incident based on incomplete and wrong information.
You are refering to the acting CEO sujon. It is correct that he is the who must sign. As a cricket operations manager it is Akram's job to decide and advise Sujon accordingly. Since Akram clarified that (and there are multiple news dailies) he did tell Shakib and wished him good luck. Akram slightly modified his story on technicality after the punishment announcement. Again multiple dailies including kaler knatha (who were not sympathetic to Shakib) mentioned that this is not what they were told two days earlier.

Papon is also correct in claiming that Shakib did not have NOC. And Shakib didnot have a paper copy of the NOC. he only had verbal confirmation.

there was no board meeting on July 02. btw Shakib went to London with Tamim to watch the MCC XI game.

btw, it is also the job of the cricket operations committee to coordinate within the BCB to find out whether NOC can be issued or not. A reasonable person would accept Akram's answer to be the most important.

This is not the first time Shakib asked for NOC. it is inconceivable to believe that he did not know the procedure.
Old July 12, 2014, 01:53 AM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Shakib should go to the court if there is any violation of proper procedure. We can only speculate, because we do not know the complete information. And it is NOT BCB's duty to inform us everything either. The privacy of the accused must be maintained as well.

So, such articles including "seems", "likely", "may be" etc. do not have any practical value, except guiding people towards arbitrary and often wrong directions.
I am not a legal expert. But I am sure that for a player, that privacy arguments does not hold; especially since the punishments are spelled out in front of the tv cameras. And he was accused of being "extremely inhuman." In fact, any company Shakib endorses can serve legal notice to BCB to clear that statement, and failing that to sue BCB. A legal expert among us can shed more light on this.

In fact as of today, Shakib has still to formally know of his punishment in writing from the board. How long does it take to type up the board's unanimous decision?
It is BCB's duty and interest to inform us of everything, unless they think that a particular information is going to severely harm the team.
Old July 12, 2014, 02:02 AM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Shakib should go to the court if there is any violation of proper procedure.
I think it should be a person who is not connected with Shakib to go to the court. Shakib going to the court might just permanently damage his relation with the current administrator who are unlikely to change until after next election producing majority to another political party. That might be a while. If it is five years, that might effectively end his career prematurely.

Remember Khaled mahmud Shujon is a BCB director and also the acting manager. As a manager it is his duty to submit report to the board about any misconduct in the dressing room. As a BCB director it is his job to vote and discuss the report of the Manager. He also voted in favour of the punishment as a BCB director. Who is going to ask Shujon about his failures as the manager. You see there are all sorts of conflicts
Old July 12, 2014, 03:14 AM
Club Cricketer

You are ignoring one important piece of fact that Shakib was strictly told by the BCB on 02. July not to leave without the NOC. That makes every rumored verbal permission by Akram (which he denied) completely null and void. Shakib also knew it, and therefore, he tried to contact the NOC man.

This is not the first time Shakib asked for NOC. it is inconceivable to believe that he did not know the procedure.

He certainly knows the procedure, as does Akram. So, he knows that he can not leave on Akram's verbal permission, which is again an untrue claim, and correctly denied by Akram, because Akram also knows his verbal permission does not matter for an NOC.
Old July 12, 2014, 03:17 AM
Club Cricketer

I think it should be a person who is not connected with Shakib to go to the court. Shakib going to the court might just permanently damage his relation with the current administrator

If anyone close to Shakib does not go, then you or I or someone else from Bangla cricket should go to the court. But that is impossible for us, because we do not know the whole story. Shakib knows. And if he does not have any objection, our spreading rumors will only damage Bangladesh cricket.
Old July 12, 2014, 03:23 AM
Club Cricketer

It is BCB's duty and interest to inform us of everything, unless they think that a particular information is going to severely harm the team.

When someone is fired from a job, it is not the company's duty to make everything known to his colleagues let alone to the public. Personally I like every piece of information to be known by everyone to avoid any confusion; but still the privacy policy of an organization holds. BCB does not want everybody to hate Shakib. They want him to learn from his mistakes, and come back to the team after 6 months.
Old July 12, 2014, 04:43 PM

Quote:
You are ignoring one important piece of fact that Shakib was strictly told by the BCB on 02. July not to leave without the NOC..
How do we know this info ^^^ is correct?

Why not we should believe Shakib's version that Akram told him to go without a NOC?
Old July 12, 2014, 04:49 PM

Quote:
The privacy of the accused must be maintained as well.

You banned a player and did not disclose the cause/s because of privacy of the player??
Old July 13, 2014, 01:42 AM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpurush
How do we know this info ^^^ is correct?

Why not we should believe Shakib's version that Akram told him to go without a NOC?
Because,

1) Both Shakib and Akram know the NOC process. Shakib claimed that Akram would sign the NOC, which is completely wrong. Akram does not sign NOCs.

2) It is within Shakib's version of the story, he says "On the morning of my journey I received a call from operations asking me not to go without an NOC." So, even Akram wrongly told him to go, he knew from the board before his journey that he should not.