facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

View Poll Results: Where is your "Desher Bari"?
Dhaka Metro-area 1 1.96%
Dhaka (Other) 7 13.73%
Chittagong 6 11.76%
Sylhet 8 15.69%
Khulna 1 1.96%
Barisal 2 3.92%
Rajshahi 2 3.92%
Comilla 1 1.96%
Mymensingh 4 7.84%
Noakhali 16 31.37%
Rangpur 1 1.96%
Outside Bangladesh 2 3.92%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 10, 2012, 11:33 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

I was stunned to find a Noakhailla community, predominantly from villages adjoining Shonapur, in Essaouira. After being robbed of their possessions and then awaiting deportation by the Spanish, they escaped and trekked across Morocco to find shelter in the resort island. All have taught themselves passable Moroccan Arabic, French, Spanish, English and German but speak each with the familiar Noakhaillah "tan" as expected.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)
Old September 11, 2012, 03:38 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib,Sangakkara,Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohel
I was stunned to find a Noakhailla community, predominantly from villages adjoining Shonapur, in Essaouira. After being robbed of their possessions and then awaiting deportation by the Spanish, they escaped and trekked across Morocco to find shelter in the resort island. All have taught themselves passable Moroccan Arabic, French, Spanish, English and German but speak each with the familiar Noakhaillah "tan" as expected.
YAY!! We rule
Old September 11, 2012, 03:47 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Shakib, Mashrafe

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinatf
110% CORRECT!!

Bhaagen! Borishailla khujen giya
Ami 'Borishailla' na bhai !! Dhaka PG te jonmo, School, college, uni shob dhaka tei (majhe obossho sylhet, khulna te chilam), dhaka tei berey uthaa, ar dhaka tei morbo inshaAllah !!! Azimpur koborsthan er pashei amader bari

btw, Dhaka metro area te je ekta vote dekhte paccho....sheta ami !
Old September 11, 2012, 03:49 AM
Cricket Legend

Even I'm born and brought up in Dhaka, but a very proud Noakhailla who hasn't forgotten her roots
Old September 11, 2012, 03:55 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Shakib, Mashrafe

Quote:
Even I'm born and brought up in Dhaka, but a very proud Noakhailla who hasn't forgotten her roots
well...shobar situation ek na ! We hardly have anyone in Barishal apart from my dada/dadi's grave and a tin shed house !
Old September 11, 2012, 04:53 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
YAY!! We rule
That was quite an experience actually. There I was in exotic Essaouira with a group of my French and American friends from high school sippin' iced mint tea with honey and shootin' the *hit, before I heard the all familiar NK twang.

"Hyaten maser laug'e hasta (pasta) saisilo, bat (rice pilaf) sae nai. Ektu monozg di huniyen."

I turned to discover a couple of waiters, obviously dyasher manush, speaking louder than most waiters ever do with one another. Essaouira is not at all a known let alone popular destination for the typical South Asian tourist and seeing a couple of our brothers was shocking enough, but the Noakhaillah was indeed quite stunning.

I introduced myself and we struck up a conversation, and before I knew it, one of the guys established several family ties. Then they invited me and my friends, there were 7 of us, to have dinner at their place. We obliged later that week and were treated to a 10 course Noakhaillah feast -- including payra, ha(n)sh, fish patur'hi etc -- with local ingredients substituting traditional ones.

With all 15 of them living inside just 3 standard 20-foot shipping containers turned makeshift rooms, they must've spent more than they could afford but did it with smiles on their faces. Affordable rentals are available but they make the sacrifice to send more back home to their families. Their places were set next to an abandoned pier with a single public toilet that they fixed up to use. We ate outdoors, right next to the "roshui ghaur" space adjacent to those containers. They live peacefully right next to the West Africans living on the island with similar stories.

I'm proud to have such folks, rather than some self-loathing, uppity NRB represent my country abroad.

"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)
Old September 11, 2012, 05:14 AM
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Shakib, M. Waugh, Bevan

Quote:
That was quite an experience actually. There I was in exotic Essaouira with a group of my French and American friends from high school sippin' iced mint tea with honey and shootin' the *hit, before I heard the all familiar NK twang.

"Hyaten maser laug'e hasta (pasta) saisilo, bat (rice pilaf) sae nai. Ektu monozg di huniyen."

I turned to discover a couple of waiters, obviously dyasher manush, speaking louder than most waiters ever do with one another. Essaouira is not at all a known let alone popular destination for the typical South Asian tourist and seeing a couple of our brothers was shocking enough, but the Noakhaillah was indeed quite stunning.

I introduced myself and we struck up a conversation, and before I knew it, one of the guys established several family ties. Then they invited me and my friends, there were 7 of us, to have dinner at their place. We obliged later that week and were treated to a 10 course Noakhaillah feast -- including payra, ha(n)sh, fish patur'hi etc -- with local ingredients substituting traditional ones. With all 15 of them living inside just 3 standard 20-foot shipping containers turned makeshift rooms, they must've spent more than they could afford but did it with smiles on their faces. Affordable rentals are available but they make the sacrifice to send more back home to their families. Their places were in an abandoned pier with a single public toilet that they fixed up to use. We ate outdoors, right next to the "roshui ghaur" space adjacent to those containers. They live peacefully right next to the West Africans living on the island with similar stories.

I'm proud to have such folks, rather than some self-loathing, uppity NRB represent my country abroad.
I agree Sohel bhai, Essaouira (or Mogador) is incredible. People there like to say that when Jimi Hendrix went there he fell in love with the place. And who wouldn't? Beautiful buildings, all with a sky blue hue, set against the backdrop of the Atlantic; an ever present fresh, salty breeze from the ocean; religio-ethnic harmony (Jews, Muslims and Christians have cohabited peacefully there for centuries!); Gnawa music festivals and fresh seafood!!

No wonder Orson Welles decided to shoot his take on "Othello" there!
Old September 11, 2012, 05:20 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navo
I agree Sohel bhai, Essaouira (or Mogador) is incredible. People there like to say that when Jimi Hendrix went there he fell in love with the place. And who wouldn't? Beautiful buildings, all with a sky blue hue, set against the backdrop of the Atlantic; an ever present fresh, salty breeze from the ocean; religio-ethnic harmony (Jews, Muslims and Christians have cohabited peacefully there for centuries!); Gnawa music festivals and fresh seafood!!

No wonder Orson Welles decided to shoot his take on "Othello" there!
The very first time I went there was with my late father (RIP) in 1984. Both of us being huge Orson Welles fans, it was an impromptu adventure decided over tea in Marrakech during an official visit. I keep going back there every chance I get.

Interesting how more and more locals speak English and German now, no doubt because of the huge number of tourists from Germany and English speaking countries.
Old September 11, 2012, 05:46 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
That was quite an experience actually.
I can literally imagine the scene of the waiters speaking....as they say you can find us even if you go to the moon

Tbh, Noakhali people are also known as being one of the most hospitable (Bangladeshis are generally hospitable). So nice of the waiters, really.

And my my! The place is beautiful! One more place added in my list to visit to.