facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old September 12, 2012, 02:05 PM
Cricket Legend

But the few are coming to define us, whether we like it or not. That is what outsiders see.

Lets look at a localized problem we had; Bangla Bhai, he killed people, was caught, and executed, and alhamdulillah it has been the end of that episode.

Now look at Libya/Taliban/Somalias Shabab/Yemen/Pakistan; you hear never ending stories of strife in those place, most of it Muslim on Muslim, and all we seem to do is say "they are a minority, they are not Muslims". But where is the end or even concluding parts of these episode(s) ?
In Pakistan, TTP slaughters Pak soldiers and yet many Pakistanis believe they are RAW/CIA Agents dressed as Taliban.
In Somalia you have Al Shabab killing Muslims left , right and centre, and you have some Somalis collecting welfare in the UK and Canada and supporting them as soldiers of Islam.

Be it wtc in 2001, or slaughtering journalists in Iraq or killing Muslims of the wrong sect, or storming Danish , and now American embassies, you have so many apologists among us either justifying it, or getting defensive whenever its mentioned that Muslims were behind it
Old September 12, 2012, 02:38 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Interesting bits all over this thread...waiting for Sohel bhai to come in and shed some light amongst all the darkness.

There are a great many misconceptions people have. Firstly, there exists the one that says that the act of stereotyping/generalizing itself is wrong. Stereotypes are only wrong when they aren't accurate. The second error is when you generalize a group based on the sample size you have seen up close and personal.

Most of us are generalizing Bangladeshis based on the groups we have met. Since we have met a very large number and since we're all Bangali our generalization is close to accurate. Many if not most Bangladeshis espouse some form of conspiracy theory - I do myself, because, of course conspiracies have never happened right?

However most of us are not qualified to generalize Americans because we either aren't American or haven't met enough different kinds to generalize accurately. If you've only lived in the NYC metro area, you can't generalize beyond New Yorkers, and NY is wholly different from the "rest of America".

I can, however, offer a somewhat more accurate generalization. There are in fact two Americas, just like there are are two of most countries. There is urban American and there is everything else. When I was up in NYC this past summer people kept asking me "ohhh, what is it like to live in Tennessee?" as if everyone living under a certain line on a map is a redneck. I told them I live in a city, and that urban areas anywhere in the US are more or less similar in viewpoint. I told them that all you have to do is drive an hour east of Queens on the LIE and you'll be in the "deep south" not geographically, but ideologically.

So everyone who's generalizing Americans as being "tolerant" and what not, have you actually stepped outside a blue county or metro area and into the boonies? You'll find quite a bit of tolerance if you walk around Jamaica but less so if you take a trip out to Joplin.

The truth is there are two Americas just as there are (at least) two Bangladeshes. There's the America that is liberal and embraces diverse things such as abortion (yuck!) and multi-culturism (yum!) and there is also an America that like its conquistador founding fathers believes in little else besides God, guns, and gold (corporatism).
Old September 12, 2012, 02:47 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

A tragic day in history. My deepest condolences to family and friends of Christopher Stevens and others who was victim of this heinous act.
Old September 12, 2012, 03:14 PM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

Since we are getting so technical, 384 is the magic in many surveys. I don't think I know that many Bangladeshis personally. And my "good generalization" - that Bangalies are more open-minded when it comes to religion was based on my family and friends, which some were happy to accept. But my 2nd generalization based on a comment section that lacked a single post that showed humanity was "all incorrect and wrong." I guess I really don't know how Bangladeshis are truly. So I'll just ask, are Bangladeshis more open minded than other muslim/subcon countries?

FYI, we are really off topic.
Old September 12, 2012, 03:59 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrequiem
There is sugarcoated, anecdotal bedtime stories, and then there is/are history more anecdotes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banu_Qurayza
The wiki article actually portrays Muhammad as the "good guy" mentioning the mutual defense treaty in Mecca and how Muhammad sided in their favor in Qurayza-Nadir dispute. Further, the article seems to suggest the tribe of Aus acted as the Judge in sentencing them to a fate in accordance with their own religious scriptures and Muhammad was acting as little more than a "court" appointed executioner.

At any rate, even these sources are ultimately and originally "Islamic" ones given that Ibn Ishaq, the earliest historian was born some 70 years after Muhammad's death.

I was debating with this guy on ICF who failed to understand the concept that the Quran - being allegedly the closest thing we have today of the direct words of Muhammad - is automatically more authentic sources than the Hadith of Bukhari (200 years after Muhammad) and the history of Ibn Ishaq (100 years after Muhammad).
Old September 12, 2012, 05:01 PM
Test Cricketer

since the hot topic is generalization..i will have a shot....in bangladesh amongst the so called educated people i honestly think that most people are against religious extremism when it comes to being inside our country....however, significant perc of these people dont mind the violence or atleast take a pot shot in favor of it when it is in the outside world...
Old September 12, 2012, 06:19 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash
since the hot topic is generalization..i will have a shot....in bangladesh amongst the so called educated people i honestly think that most people are against religious extremism when it comes to being inside our country....however, significant perc of these people dont mind the violence or atleast take a pot shot in favor of it when it is in the outside world...
very astute point, dash bhai!
Old September 12, 2012, 06:39 PM
Administrator

The apologists, the deniers, and the conspiracy theorists are equally culpable. The onus is on us to get off our fat *** and stopping our interminable armchair online polemic discourse and to actually do something about it. I have alternately annoyed and angered uncles, cousins, and nephews/nieces by calling them on their long held but wrong beliefs. I dragged them by their proverbial ears to authentic sources and I have had the pleasure of seeing many see the light.

Next time you are in a deshi drawing room adda and the convo morphs to one of bigotry - step up and stay something. There is some excuse for those who live in Bangladesh because they are constantly bombarded by the canards and conspiracies and lived in a highly xenophobic society. There is no excuse for those who have migrated to America and live in their ghettos and still espouse the same pejorative attitudes. Get out of our Jackson Height slums and meet and talk to someone who is not a Muslim or not brown.

I've had the opportunity to visit with and meet native-born Americans in the ostensibly rural, conservative and libtard hating parts of the nation. I've also lived in the liberal bastions of NYC and California. I have been treated with more warmth and welcome in the heart of East Texas, Tennessee, and the mountains of Coal County Pennsylvania where gun-toting is a god given right and America is #1 than in big Apple.

Let me end my tirade with this. Let us go back to the slain Ambassador.

In Letter to Friends, Slain U.S. Ambassador Expressed Hope
International Herald Tribune

Quote:
LONDON — I last heard from Chris Stevens two months ago, just after he hosted a July 4 reception in the gardens of the U.S. embassy in Tripoli, Libya.

“Somehow our clever staff located a Libyan band that specializes in 1980s soft rock,” he wrote, “so I felt very much at home.”

In a catch-up e-mail to family and friends, Mr. Stevens described his first six weeks back in Libya, a country he knew well, this time as the U.S. ambassador.

“The whole atmosphere has changed for the better,” he wrote. “People smile more and are much more open with foreigners. Americans, French and British are enjoying unusual popularity. Let’s hope it lasts!”

On Wednesday, a Libyan official said that Mr. Stevens and three other embassy employees were killed in an attack on their car, after militants stormed a consular building in Benghazi to protest an American film they said insulted the Prophet Muhammad.

Mr. Stevens was aware of the risks in the country, where he had already served as deputy chief of mission during the regime of Muammar al-Qaddafi.

The embassy building had actually been burnt down by regime loyalists during the Libyan revolt, “so we are now using the previous ambassador’s spacious Palm Springs-like residence as our chancery,” he had written to us.

All American staff lived on a gated compound a few minutes away: “It’s comfortable and resembles a cozy retirement community in Arizona, minus the golf carts.”

He acknowledged the security situation was still a bit uncertain: “We move around town in armored S.U.V.’s with security teams watching out for us.”

J. Christopher Stevens, an Arabic speaker, was the U.S. administration’s point man during the Libyan revolution, operating from Rome and later Libya itself, where he served as special representative to the Libyan Transitional National Council.

As a generous and unstuffy Californian and a consummate host, his friendships extended well beyond the diplomatic community. I first knew him when he was both political section chief at the U.S. consulate in Jerusalem and an ironic and humorous observer of the foibles of a region he loved.

In July, Chris said he was excited about the prospect of forthcoming Libyan elections and of showing Sen. John McCain around town during a visit.

He had got into the habit of a daily run through “our somewhat rural neighborhood of goat farms and olive groves and vineyards” and had tracked down his old tennis coach, Mohamed, for a weekly match.

“All in all, it’s great to be back,” he wrote, “especially in the ‘new Libya,’ as people here are saying.”

In a short personal postscript a few days later, he added: “It is quite amazing out here. And now it seems the Muslim Brotherhood has suffered a defeat at the polls! Strange and unexpected.”

Mr. Stevens’ introduction to the Middle East was as a Peace Corps volunteer in Morocco where he taught English in the Atlas Mountains. A former lawyer, he entered the Foreign Service in 1991 at the age of 31.

He took a year off from diplomacy in 2010 to study at the National War College. After the Arab Spring erupted, he was a natural choice to reinforce the State Department’s presence in the region given his knowledge of Libya.

Before that, in Jerusalem in the wake of the second Palestinian intifada, he had the delicate task of dealing with the often troublesome Palestinian Authority leadership, a task made sometimes even more frustrating by U.S. security protocols.

American officials could only enter the Palestinian Territories in large and highly visible convoys. Mr. Stevens said he would have preferred the routine of his European colleagues, who could just jump into a car or even hire a taxi.

Mr. Stevens also appreciated the ironies of having to rely on security cooperation from the formerly “terrorist” Qaddafi regime when he was posted in Libya from 2007 after the U.S. restored relations with Tripoli. The regime fretted that the Americans would be targets for Islamic militants.

Mr. Stevens had many friends in the Arab world, including those who yesterday paid tribute to him in social media messages.

On Facebook yesterday, Ezzedine Choukri Fishere, an Egyptian novelist and former diplomat who knew Mr. Stevens from Jerusalem, posted: “One of the best people I met, an American who understood and empathized with the Arab predicament.”

Last edited by Zunaid; September 12, 2012 at 07:26 PM..
Old September 12, 2012, 06:58 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunaid
Next time you are in a deshi drawing room adda and the convo morphs to one of bigotry - step up and stay something.
Biye korar agey beyadobi kora jabe na...kew me dibena.

Jokes aside...I realize I have nothing productive to say at this moment.
Old September 12, 2012, 08:42 PM
Administrator

https://www.facebook.com/PeopleAgainstTerrorism

Stand up.

Old September 12, 2012, 09:21 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Nirala

I stopped reading PA comments half way through, just speechless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunaid
Interesting as to which BC members were the the first ones to condemn this vile act and who are still silent.
Doc, not exactly a fair thing to say, considering you posted that just 2 hours after the thread/news was posted. I saw the news earlier today, but didn't visit the thread till now. I had a feeling this thread would spark some debates, so wanted to read it when I had some time. I hope I don't fall within that interesting group because I didn't condemn this act right away in this thread.
Old September 12, 2012, 09:25 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: YOURFACE

My mom and I were just discussing about this. So sad and so wrong of them. My condolences to friends and family of the officials.
Old September 12, 2012, 09:55 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Di Caprio

Quote:
Originally Posted by al Furqaan
The truth is there are two Americas just as there are (at least) two Bangladeshes. There's the America that is liberal and embraces diverse things such as abortion (yuck!) and multi-culturism (yum!) and there is also an America that like its conquistador founding fathers believes in little else besides God, guns, and gold (corporatism).
What am I? Funny, I believe in abortion, multiculturalism, god, capitalism..... guns (not so sure)
Old September 12, 2012, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by al Furqaan
There are a great many misconceptions people have. Firstly, there exists the one that says that the act of stereotyping/generalizing itself is wrong. Stereotypes are only wrong when they aren't accurate. The second error is when you generalize a group based on the sample size you have seen up close and personal.
Stereotyping/generalizing is wrong but not the trend of some observation here and there on sample size. The trend gives us cautious remind of what might laid ahead. The trend, to be proven accurate in time, is way too late to avoid major damage, need long and hard work to clean up the mess that been done. Hence observing the trend, taking cautious remind, and action/work before its too late, is not an error be it based on a sample size. There would be no one at the time of 'too late' coming up saying I am sorry, I was wrong, nor it would matter anymore.

Quote:
Many if not most Bangladeshis espouse some form of conspiracy theory - I do myself, because, of course conspiracies have never happened right?
All those conspiracy never proven wrong either, right? Nor we can prevent those cristal clear conspiracy going all over our land! Its beyond funny now, how highly intelligent we are to recognize every conspiracy, but yet to struggle every aspect in our low life society. Something must be wrong there, something inside our own mind, other than just conspiracy from in and out.
Old September 12, 2012, 11:44 PM
Test Cricketer

Libya attack may have been planned and organized
http://mobile.reuters.com/article/id...20912?irpc=932

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Opera Mobile)
Old September 13, 2012, 12:28 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Brian Lara

Quote:
U.S. To Fly Drones Over Libya

According to CNN reporter Lisa Desjardins, the United States is planning to fly drones over eastern Libya to look for jihadi camps tied to the deadly embassy attack.

The State Department has ordered the departure of all non-emergency U.S. government personnel from Libya, and has issued a warning to U.S. citizens to avoid traveling to the country.

@ LisaDCNN : ATTACK SUSPECT: @NicRobertson told top suspect is group "Omar Abdul Rahman Brigades". Has claimed attacks on Red Cross, US consulate before.
Quote:
Report: Pentagon Moving Warships Toward Libya

According to the Associated Press, US officials say the Pentagon is moving two warships toward the Libyan coast.
Make it rain B
Old September 13, 2012, 01:27 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

From Dash's link a lone voice of reason from Susantha Routh:

Quote:
Very much surprised!!! A newspaper like Prothom alo is publishing above comments where people are cheering when some one killed!!! I strongly hate those people who became happy with some one's dead news. That people are mentally sick.
Old September 13, 2012, 01:32 AM
Banned

^I get what she's saying...but I'm glad the PA are publishing the comments and not censoring them.
Old September 13, 2012, 01:39 AM
Cricket Legend

Ofr course it doesnt help that the "voice of reason" is coming from someone with a western name.

Its the hypocrisy that i hate the most. Many such Bangladeshis have gone to or have tried to go to the West, yet they cheer such events.

Are they very Islamic? Most are not; one of my friends does not pray, has a Canadian passport, but finds time every other day to post Facebook rants on how the US is evil and how they are the main danger to world peace.
Just to profile such people; they are quite likely to have a passport size picture, with a tie, as their Fbool profile pic

The mantra is all the same:
"America has killed millions of our brothers in Iraq, Palestine, Libya etc. and they are waging war on Islam", which is only partially true.

Tell them how Muslims are killing each other, and they will retort with how its actually America making Muslims kill each other by arming both sides or by spouting some conspiracy theory

I have been to a number of Islamic and desi forums since yesterdays events, and its a sad picture; quite a few are cheering the "Libyan brothers", while others are claiming that its America who has harmed their own embassy "so they can send troops and control Libyan oil"
Old September 13, 2012, 04:00 AM
Banned

the good deeds continue

BBC Breaking News ‏@BBCBreaking
Demonstrators in Yemen storm US embassy, following protests in Libya and Egypt over film deemed to insult Muslims http://bbc.in/OrOyuh
Old September 13, 2012, 04:17 AM

Quote:
13 September 2012 Last updated at 03:16 GMT
Innocence of Muslims: On the trail of mystery filmmaker

By Alastair Leithead BBC News, Los Angeles
The film first sparked protests in the Egyptian capital Cairo
Continue reading the main story Related Stories
New information is emerging over the origins of an anti-Islamic video which is at the centre of violent anti-American protests in Egypt and Libya.
A film was shot in the US, and was shown at a small cinema in Hollywood at the end of June. But it is the clips posted to YouTube, translated into Arabic, which appear to have sparked these protests.

The video - Innocence of Muslims - first appeared online on 1 July, posted in English by someone using the pseudonym "sambacile."
It was very badly made and cheaply produced, with poor acting and little in the way of storyline.

The most offensive comments about Islam and the Prophet Muhammad had been quite obviously dubbed onto the soundtrack afterwards and not spoken by the actors.

One actress featured in the film said she had no idea it would be used for anti-Islamic propaganda and condemned it.

Cindy Lee Garcia, from Bakersfield in California, was quoted by the website Gawker saying she had a small role in the film which she was told would be called Desert Warriors, about life in Egypt 2,000 years ago.
She threatened to sue the director for the way the actors were represented.

Questions asked

In fact a film called The Innocence of Bin Laden was shown at a small independent cinema on Hollywood Boulevard called the Vine Theatre on 30 June this year.
Someone present, who asked not to be identified, said it lasted about an hour, had very poor production values and attracted just a handful of viewers in the two showings that evening.

He said the man organising the screening was an Egyptian living in America who had hired two Egyptian security guards for the evening.
A man saying he was the writer and director, and claiming to be Sam Bacile, spoke to a number of media outlets on Tuesday, making inflammatory anti-Islamic comments in support of the film.

He claimed to be 52, or 56, depending on the source, and to be an Israeli-born Jewish estate agent who had raised millions of dollars from Jewish donors to make the film.

But prior to last week he did not exist online, except as the YouTube posting name, and there was no record of a developer of that name.
Questions started being asked over whether Sam Bacile was a real person.
An American right-wing extremist called Steve Klein, linked with various anti-Islamic groups in California, promoted the video, but said he did not know the identity of the director.

He contradicted himself in media interviews while expressing radical views, and eventually admitted he thought Sam Bacile was just a pseudonym.
Pastor Terry Jones from Florida, whose anti-Muslim actions have included burning Korans, said he had been in touch with a Mr Bacile over promotion of the film, but had not met him and could not identify him.

Coptic link?

Another name appeared linked to the film - Morris Sadek - an Egyptian American from the anti-Islamic National American Coptic Assembly.
His promotion of the movie brought inquiries into the involvement of Coptic Christian groups.

The Copts make up a sizeable Christian minority in Egypt and some have raised concern about their religious freedom in the new Egypt under a Muslim Brotherhood president.

The Associated Press news agency, which had interviewed the man claiming to be Sam Bacile on the telephone, then followed a trail to a Californian called Nakoula Basseley Nakoula, 55, who told AP he was a Coptic Christian and admitted he was involved in logistics and management of the film's production.

He denied being the director or posing as Sam Bacile, but AP said reporters had traced the phone number to an address near where they found Mr Nakoula.
The exact origin of the movie and the internet clip, and the motivation behind its production, remains a mystery, but it appears not to be linked to an Israeli film-maker as was earlier widely reported, including by the BBC.

It was the film's translation into Arabic and broadcast on Arab TV stations and talk shows which sparked the violence - although investigations are now under way in Washington to establish whether the worst of the violence was not spontaneous.
The religious Egyptian TV channel al-Nas showed clips from the video, dubbed into Arabic, and scenes posted online have been viewed hundreds of thousands of times.
Source BBC
Old September 13, 2012, 04:26 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Shakib, Mashrafe

Just a random thought

Don't you think all those unrest, chaos, killing innocent people could easily be avoided if Western Media leave muslims alone ? Why do they need to criticize every single move of muslims; how they dress, how their women dress, what they believe, what they do, what they don't do bla bla ? Why do they need to make fun of Islam when everyone knows that muslims are very sentimental when it comes to religion ? I am not advocating for or justifying any killings just having this random thought.

My urge is leave muslims alone. Let them do whatever they want to do within their religion and country. If they want to invade your country or want to change your culture, society in their (Islamic) way then you can protest against them. But why attacking their religion when it was totally uncalled for !
Old September 13, 2012, 04:35 AM
Administrator

Oh now we are playing the victim game? Blame the victim? What crock. We are too sentimental so don't criticize us. It goes both ways. The Muslims criticize the West for their promiscuous ways. We don't see too many mobs of Western Christian salafists storming the Yemeni embassy in DC. The crackpots like the Koran burning reverend are few and far between. You have kind of highlighted the fundamental ill of our culture. Our intolerance and inability to react to criticism no matter how unfounded. As my wife says, you may not be able to control how others act, but you surely can control how you react.
Old September 13, 2012, 04:41 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naimul_Hd

My urge is leave muslims alone. Let them do whatever they want to do within their religion and country.
You're better than this.

You know this isn't how the world works...I'm not saying everything the US/West does is borne out of charity or the greater good, but this sort of thinking is counterproductive.

Today don't offend muslims, tomorrow Sylhetis, the next day Hasina/Khaleda...where does it stop?

Remember while words hurt/offend/humiliate, they don't KILL.
Old September 13, 2012, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banglatiger84
I have been to a number of Islamic and desi forums since yesterdays events, and its a sad picture; quite a few are cheering the "Libyan brothers", while others are claiming that its America who has harmed their own embassy "so they can send troops and control Libyan oil"
Same old story, same old naysayers, same old community isnt it? But just for a break let us read the news from 'The Dawn' in Prothom Alo, perhaps some people started to swallow the harsh reality. Of course some would dismiss this writing rightway saying over reaction or conspiracy as usual.

Quote:

মনমোহনকে এক পাকিস্তানির খোলা চিঠি

অনলাইন ডেস্ক | তারিখ: ১৩-০৯-২০১২

« আগের সংবাদ

ফাইজা মির্জা, পাকিস্তানের বিখ্যাত ইংরেজি পত্রিকা ‘দ্য ডন’-এর একজন সাংবাদিক। দেশটির বর্তমান রাজনৈতিক ও সামাজিক অবস্থায় বিব্রত ও বিরক্ত ফাইজা সম্প্রতি ডনের ব্লগে ভারতের প্রধানমন্ত্রী মনমোহন সিংয়ের উদ্দেশে একটা খোলা চিঠি লেখেন। ফাইজার এই খোলা চিঠিতে ফুটে উঠেছে ধর্মীয় সংখ্যালঘুদের নিরাপত্তা দেওয়ার ক্ষেত্রে পাকিস্তানের সরকারগুলোর সীমাহীন ব্যর্থতার আখ্যান। প্রথম আলোর পাঠকদের ফাইজা মির্জার চিঠিটি হুবহু প্রকাশ করা হলো।

প্রিয় মনমোহন সিং,
আমি আমার জীবনে কোনো দিন আপনার মাপের কোনো মানুষের সঙ্গে কথা বলিনি। সুতরাং চিঠিতে আমার বক্তব্যের সহজ বিষয়টিকে ক্ষমাসুন্দর দৃষ্টিতে দেখবেন বলে আশা করি। প্রথমেই, পাকিস্তানের নয় শরও বেশি সংখ্যালঘু হিন্দুকে ভারতের নাগরিকত্ব দেওয়ার ব্যাপারটি বিবেচনা করার জন্য আপনাকে অভিনন্দন জানাতে চাই। এটা সত্যিই ওই হিন্দুদের জন্য আপনার চমত্কার এক বদান্যতা, যারা একসময় পাকিস্তানে বসবাস করত। কিন্তু আপনাকে বিবেচনায় রাখতে হবে যে পাকিস্তানে হিন্দু ছাড়াও খ্রিষ্টান এমনকি মুসলমানেরাও সত্যিকার অর্থে শান্তিতে জীবনযাপন করতে পারছে না।

আমি জানি, হিন্দু ধর্মাবলম্বীরা আপনার সরকারের অগ্রাধিকার। কারণ, আপনার সরকারের অনেকেই হিন্দু ধর্মাবলম্বী। আমি তার পরও আপনার দৃষ্টি আকর্ষণ করতে চাই ওই হাজারাদের দিকে, যাদের প্রায় প্রতিদিনই প্রকাশ্য দিবালোকে পাকিস্তানের রাজপথে কোনো না কোনো শাস্তি দেওয়া হচ্ছে। দৃষ্টি আকর্ষণ করতে চাই ওই খ্রিষ্টানদের জন্য, যারা পাকিস্তানে নিদারুণ আতঙ্কের মধ্যে জীবনযাপন করছে; ব্লাসফেমি আইনে, যেকোনো সময়ই সেই খ্রিষ্টানদের গ্রেপ্তার করা হতে পারে অথবা হত্যা করা হতে পারে। আমি আপনার দৃষ্টি আকর্ষণ করছি উত্তর-পশ্চিম সীমান্ত প্রদেশের সাধারণ মানুষের প্রতি, যারা প্রায় প্রতিদিনই জঙ্গি অথবা মার্কিন ড্রোন হামলার শিকার হয়ে মারা যাচ্ছে। আমি হিন্দুদের পাশাপাশি এসব মানুষের সমস্যাগুলোর দিকেও আপনার সদয় দৃষ্টি আকর্ষণ করছি, যদিও আমি জানি না এদের নিয়ে আপনার বা আপনার সরকারের কোনো পরিকল্পনা রয়েছে কি না।

আপনার ও আপনার সরকারের মানুষজনের নিশ্চয়ই পাকিস্তানের আহমেদিয়াদের সম্পর্কে জানার সুযোগ হয়েছে। আপনারা নিশ্চয়ই জানেন, পাকিস্তানের আহমেদিয়ারা ধর্মীয় কারণে জীবনের প্রতিটি ক্ষেত্রে কী ধরনের যন্ত্রণা ভোগ করছে! আমি আপনাকে অনুরোধ জানাব, পাকিস্তানের ওই মানুষদের সঙ্গে কথা বলতে, যারা পাকিস্তানি সমাজে পরিবর্তন আনতে চায়। তাদের সঙ্গে কথা বললেই আপনি বুঝতে পারবেন, যারা পাকিস্তানের সমাজ-ব্যবস্থায় পরিবর্তন নিয়ে আসতে চায়, তারা কীভাবে দুর্ভোগের শিকার হচ্ছে। কিন্তু কেন তারা দুর্ভোগের শিকার হচ্ছে, কেন তাদের জীবন হুমকির মুখে পড়ছে, ব্যাপারগুলো ওইসব মানুষের কাছে একেবারেই দুর্বোধ্য।

আমি নিশ্চিত যে রাজনৈতিক আশ্রয়বিষয়ক সব ধরনের খুঁটিনাটিই আপনার নখদর্পণে। এটা সত্যি, সব শ্রেণীর পাকিস্তানিদের পক্ষে যুক্তরাষ্ট্র, যুক্তরাজ্য, কানাডা কিংবা অস্ট্রেলিয়াতে রাজনৈতিক আশ্রয় পাওয়া সম্ভব নয়। এ ক্ষেত্রে ভারত তাদের জন্য একমাত্র আশার আলো। পাকিস্তান থেকে আটারি সীমান্ত দিয়ে খুব অল্প খরচে রাজনৈতিক আশ্রয়ের জন্য শুধু ভারতে যাওয়া সম্ভব।
পাকিস্তানে অনেক মানুষের মধ্যে হতাশার মাত্রাটা এতটাই বেশি যে তারা যেকোনো মূল্যে আফগানিস্তানের মতো দেশে গিয়েও পালিয়ে বাঁচতে চায়। অথচ এই আফগানিস্তানের মানুষই একটা সময় পাকিস্তানে শরণার্থী হিসেবে আসতো।

আমরা সবাই আপনার সরকারের মানবিক নীতিগুলোর প্রশংসা করি। আমরা চাই পাকিস্তানের নির্যাতিত হিন্দু, যারা প্রাণের ভয়ে ভারতে চলে গেছে, আপনার সরকার তাদের নাগরিকত্ব প্রদানের প্রক্রিয়া ত্বরান্বিত করবে। তবে এ ক্ষেত্রে আপনাকে জানানো জরুরি যে পাকিস্তানে ভিন্নধর্মাবলম্বী া সবাই নানাভাবে নির্যাতনের শিকার এবং তাদের সবাইকে ভারতে রাজনৈতিক আশ্রয়ের সুযোগ দেওয়া উচিত। এই সুযোগটি কেবল হিন্দুদের জন্য থাকবে, তা বোধ করি ঠিক নয়। যেখানে ভারত সরকার ধর্ম-বর্ণনির্বিশেষে সীমান্তে পাকিস্তানে নির্যাতনের শিকার হয়ে আসা যেকোনো মানুষকেই খাদ্য সরবরাহের নীতিগত পরিকল্পনা নিয়েছে, সেখানে রাজনৈতিক আশ্রয়ের সুযোগটিও হিন্দুদের পাশাপাশি অন্যান্য সংখ্যালঘু ও নির্যাতিতদের জন্য অবারিত করে দেওয়া উচিত।
পাকিস্তান থেকে যেসব হিন্দু ভারতে চলে গেছে এবং সেখানে গিয়ে রাজনৈতিক আশ্রয় লাভের প্রত্যাশা করছে, তাদের ব্যাপারে ভারত সরকারের অনেকেই আপনার সঙ্গে যোগাযোগ রক্ষা করে চলেছে। এমনই একজন হলেন লক্ষ্মীকান্ত চাওলা। তিনি বলেছেন, ‘যেখানে পাকিস্তান সরকার সংখ্যালঘুদের নির্যাতনের হাত থেকে রক্ষা করতে ব্যর্থ হয়েছে, সেখানে ভারত সরকারের উচিত এই নির্যাতিত সংখ্যালঘুদের দেখভালের দায়িত্ব নেওয়া।’

এ ক্ষেত্রে আমি আশা করব, মি. চাওলার মন্তব্যের সূত্র ধরে আপনি পাকিস্তান সরকারের প্রতি রুষ্ট না হয়ে পুরো ব্যাপারটি একটু ঠান্ডা মাথায় ভেবে দেখবেন। পাকিস্তান সরকার এই মুহূর্তে অনেক সমস্যা নিয়ে ব্যস্ত। সর্বোচ্চ আদালতের সঙ্গে সরকারের এই মুহূর্তে ঠান্ডা লড়াই চলছে। যেখানে পাকিস্তান সরকার সুপ্রিম কোর্টের সঙ্গে স্বার্থের সংঘাতে জড়িয়ে পড়েছে, সেখানে তাদের সাধারণ মানুষের স্বার্থ দেখার সময় কোথায়? আপনাকে বুঝতে হবে, পাকিস্তান সরকার শুধু সংখ্যালঘুদের স্বার্থ রক্ষা কিংবা তাদের নির্যাতনের হাত থেকে রক্ষা করতেই ব্যর্থ হয়নি, তারা ব্যর্থ দেশের বিপুল জনগোষ্ঠীর খাদ্য ও নিরাপত্তার ব্যবস্থা করতেও।

অনেক পাকিস্তানিই হয়তো ব্যাপারটি সরাসরি স্বীকার করবে না, কিন্তু বেশির ভাগ শিক্ষিত ও প্রগতিশীল পাকিস্তানিই এই মুহূর্তে ভারতীয় নাগরিকত্বের বিষয়টি গুরুত্বের সঙ্গে চিন্তাভাবনা করছে। এর নেপথ্য কারণ, ১৯৪৭ সালের পর দারিদ্র্য ও অন্যান্য সমস্যা সত্ত্বেও ভারত একটি জাতি, একটি অর্থনীতি, একটি রাষ্ট্র হিসেবে দাঁড়িয়ে গেছে। আমরা মনে করি, ভারতের রয়েছে একটি প্রগতিশীল সমাজব্যবস্থা। রাষ্ট্র হিসেবে ভারত শাসিত হচ্ছে ধর্মনিরপেক্ষ রাজনীতিকদের দ্বারা। ভারতের সংসদ ও রাজনীতিতে ফ্যাসিস্ট রাজনীতির জায়গা খুব সীমিত। ভারতের জনগণের কাছেও ধর্মনিরপেক্ষতার ব্যাপারটি ভালো কিছু হিসেবেই পরিগণিত।

আপনারা একজন কাসাবকে আটকে রেখেছেন। কিন্তু আপনারা কী জানেন, এই পাকিস্তানে আরও কত হাজার হাজার কাসাব ঘুরে বেড়াচ্ছে, যারা প্রতিনিয়ত পাকিস্তানের সাধারণ মানুষকে ‘নাস্তিক’, ‘ইসলামবিরোধী’, ‘ভারতের দালাল’, ‘যুক্তরাষ্ট্রের পুতুল’, ‘কমিউনিস্ট’ ইত্যাদি অভিধায় অভিহিত করছে!
আমরা যারা সমাজ পরিবর্তনের স্বপ্ন দেখি, তারা রীতিমতো অসহায় বোধ করি, যখন দেখি এই দেশে (পাকিস্তান) কট্টরপন্থীরা নির্ভয়ে ও দম্ভ নিয়ে ঘুরে বেড়ায়। আমাদের সান্ত্বনার জায়গাটা কোথায়?
গভীর দুঃখের সঙ্গে জানাচ্ছি, আমি পাকিস্তানে বাস করছি ঠিকই, কিন্তু সব সময় খুঁজে বেড়াচ্ছি বসবাসের উপযোগী একটি নিরাপদ দেশ। আমি সেই দেশে বাস করতে চাই, যে দেশে আমি নিজেকে প্রকাশ করতে পারব দ্বিধা ও ভয়হীন চিত্তে।

কিছুদিন আগে করাচির রাস্তায় হাঁটতে হাঁটতে একটি পোস্টারে আমার চোখ আটকে যায়। সেই পোস্টারে ছিল মোহাম্মদ আলী জিন্নাহর ছবি, আর নিচে লেখা ছিল, ‘পাকিস্তান তোমায় চায়’।
পোস্টারটি দেখার পর আমার মনে এক অদ্ভুত অনুভূতি হয়। প্রথমবারের মতো আমি অনুভব করি, মোহাম্মদ আলী জিন্নাহ আমাদের যে পাকিস্তান দিতে চেয়েছিলেন, সেটা বিনির্মাণে আমরা সম্পূর্ণরূপে ব্যর্থ হয়েছি।

আমার আগের ও পরের অনেকের মতোই আমি এই মুহূর্তে একটি নিরাপদ মাটির সন্ধানে রয়েছি, যেখানে আমার জীবনের মূল্য থাকবে, থাকবে নিরাপত্তা। আমি সেই নিরাপদ মাটির সন্ধানেই দেশের মানুষদের ছেড়ে চলে যেতে চাই। লড়াই চালাতে চাই ওই সব ক্ষতিকর বিষয়ের বিরুদ্ধে যা এই মুহূর্তে আমার মাতৃভূমি পাকিস্তানকে নিয়ন্ত্রণ করছে।
আমি জানি না আমাকে ভারতে চলে যাওয়ার অনুমতি দেওয়া হবে কি না। এটা একটা গুরুত্বপূর্ণ প্রশ্ন। এই প্রশ্নের উত্তর পাওয়া যাবে তখনই, যখন দেখব ভারত সরকার রাজনৈতিক আশ্রয়ের প্রশ্নে হিন্দুদের সঙ্গে আমাকেও একই পাল্লায় বিচার করছে।
ইতি,
আপনার অনুগত
প্রগতিশীল পরিবর্তনের জন্য সচেষ্ট পাকিস্তানিদের একজন

Prothom Alo